Is Jets' Quincy Enunwa a receiver or H-back?

Gas2No99

Is Jets' Quincy Enunwa a receiver or H-back?

Quincy Enunwa
New York Jets' Quincy Enunwa makes a catch during practice at the NFL football teams training camp in Florham Park, N.J., Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2016. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

FLORHAM PARK — It's the million-dollar question. What exactly is the Jets' Quincy Enunwa? A receiver? Or H-back?

The answer? Both. And that's perfectly fine with him.

"I just like to play, man," Enunwa told NJ Advance Media last week. 

A 6-2, 225-pound chiseled, athletic freak, Enunwa is one of the more interesting players on the Jets' roster. He was selected in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft, spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad, then last year worked himself into a prominent role on offense. It just wasn't as a traditional wide receiver. Enunwa played H-back — a hybrid role. 

With tight ends Jeff Cumberland (now with the San Diego Chargers) and Kellen Davis struggling to make an impact, the Jets started subbing in Enunwa. He played right up at the line of scrimmage, performing both tight end and wide receiver tasks, as he proved a quality blocker and capable complementary pass catcher. 

Based on who lined up against Enunwa, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick would check to different plays based on the defender. 

If it was a linebacker, the Jets would throw and let Enunwa burn him with speed. (He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.) If a safety or cornerback was on him, the Jets would run and let Enunwa block, which he does very well. (He bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times at the combine. Enunwa finished the year with 22 receptions for 315 yards.) 

The initial expectation heading into 2016 was that Enunwa would reprise his role. In training camp, though, he's been playing much more slot receiver, with Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall split wide. Only a handful of times has Enunwa lined up near the line, as he often did last year. 

"I wouldn't say it's a new role, per se," Enunwa said. "This is very similar to what I was doing at the beginning of last year. I played this, then they needed me at H-back, so they moved me around a lot more. Right now, I'm playing mostly receiver, but if they need me to move around, they know I can do both.

"There honestly isn't much of a difference. The positions people saw me in last year, I can still do those positions. I'm just not there right now. In games, we'll see what works against certain teams, then go back and forth with it."

There's been another sharp change in Enunwa outside of his "new" position: He's catching everything thrown his way. 

The Jets targeted Enunwa 46 times in 12 games last year. He dropped five of those passes, according to Fox Sports. To put that number in perspective, Atlanta Falcons star wideout Julio Jones was targeted 203 times and dropped just six.

Enunwa works on his hands after practice, by catching 100 balls from a Jugs machine. But that's not what has led to the improvement. It's nothing physical at all. Enunwa said it's all mental. 

"I let playing in the NFL overwhelm me," he said of his 2015 season. "I would go out there and rush to make a play. I was making all these hard grabs, the diving ones, but then dropping the easy stuff. Now I'm focused on if the ball's right there, just catch it."

A more experienced, sure-handed, versatile Enunwa? That has the potential to be a fun toy for Fitzpatrick to play with. 

And Enunwa can't wait. 

"The grind started the day camp started," Enunwa said. "That's what pushes me."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com.

38 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Enunwa IMO, is an H-back, they might force to play WR this year, because Amaro is making a pretty good case for the H-back spot.  

Tough decision for the CS to make

I think that's exactly what we'll be seeing, if for no other reason than to get the best guys on the field.  For that to change, it's a matter of one of the many young WRs the Jets have convincing the team that they're better than either one of Enunwa or Amaro.  The greatest benefit of Enunwa's ability to play both positions is it makes it that much easier for the team to be more flexible alignment and getting whoever they want onto the field.  There can even be plays where Amaro lines up as a traditional TE while Enunwa is in the H-Back role, especially if Amaro shows improved blocking.  We'll see how it goes, but nothing wrong with plenty of options.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In the end I expect to see Quincy mainly in the H-back role again in 2016.  I see Jace as more of a situational and red zone player this year as he works on earning an increasing snaps count.  

I am so looking forward to Enunwa straight arming some puny CBs this year. If he's more relaxed catching the ball instead of fighting it, he'll be a handful breaking into the secondary with his 225Lb frame.

Jets are gonna have some big men catching passes, Marshall, Decker, Enunwa & Amaro, that's gotta be the biggest strongest foursome in the league. I got to see some pictures of Amaro & he looks like a different guy. I have a picture of my nephew walking in front of Amaro when he 1st arrived to camp in Cortland & I'm telling you guys it looks like night & day!

As others have said, nothing comes out of these buildings anymore & I think Amaro got an earful from Gailey & Bowles about what's expected here now of these players. Nothing like practicing on the 2nd field with backups & rookies to get the message. Love this new regime!

Enunwa moving from H-back to WR is largely dependent on Amaro improving his blocking and forcing his way onto the field. As long as there's a wide gap in the two players' ability to block, Enunwa will be in that H-back role. Especially if another WR steps up and earns the slot receiver role (Jalin Marshall?). 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Enunwa moving from H-back to WR is largely dependent on Amaro improving his blocking and forcing his way onto the field. As long as there's a wide gap in the two players' ability to block, Enunwa will be in that H-back role. Especially if another WR steps up and earns the slot receiver role (Jalin Marshall?). 

Excellent point.  Until proven otherwise, this is not purely a contest between Enunwa and Amaro.  There are other receivers on the roster who could take time especially at 3rd wideout.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, MacDaddy has no allegiance to the Idzik players.

Even if Amaro was a 2nd and Enunwa was a 4th(?) Mac and Bowles will put the best player for the team on the field.

I am stoked for that Bills game.Praying that we can come out of these preseason games healthy!!

Enuwa playing in the slot/H-Back is useful enough. While Enuwa is in the slot, you can have Amaro play H-Back or even the complete opposite and put Amaro in the slot and Enuwa in the H-Back role. Amaro can play the traditional TE as well, so you have two players who can play 3 different positions and can be on the field at the same time. The versatility in that alone is insane.. this offense is a top 10 sleeper again.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Enuwa, Amaro,Pryor, Mcdougle and Geno are the only ones left. Five.

edit: Milliner too.. So 6.

2014 1 Calvin Pryor 18 DB 2015 0 0 2 5 29                       2 0.5 Louisville
2014 2 Jace Amaro 49 TE 2014 0 0 0 3 14                 38 345 2     Texas Tech
2014 3 Dexter McDougle 80 DB 2015 0 0 0   14                           Maryland
2014 4 Jalen Saunders 104 WR 2014 0 0 0 0 15                 1 7 0     Oklahoma
2014 4 Shaquelle Evans 115 WR   0 0 0                               UCLA
2014 4 Dakota Dozier 137 OL 2015 0 0 0   4                           Furman
2014 5 Jeremiah George 154 LB 2015 0 0 0 0 21                           Iowa St.
2014 6 Brandon Dixon 195 DB 2014 0 0 0 1 14                       1   NW Missouri St.
2014 6 Quincy Enunwa 209 WR 2015 0 0 0 0 13                 22 315 0     Nebraska
2014 6 IK Enemkpali 210 DT 2015 0 0 0 0 17                           Louisiana Tech
2014 6 Tajh Boyd 213 QB   0 0 0                               Clemson
2014 7 Trevor Reilly 233 LB 2015 0 0 0 1 29                         1.0 Utah
Year Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
2013 1 Dee Milliner 9 DB 2015 0 0 1 6 21                       3   Alabama
2013 1 Sheldon Richardson 13 DT 2015 0 1 3 15 43           4 4 2         16.5 Missouri
2013 2 Geno Smith 39 QB 2015 0 0 2 13 31 493 852 5836 27 35 133 638 7 1 13 0     West Virginia
2013 3 Brian Winters 72 G 2015 0 0 2 6 38                           Kent St.
2013 5 Oday Aboushi 141 T 2015 0 0 1 4 22                           Virginia
2013 6 William Campbell 178 OL   0 0 0                               Michigan
2013 7 Tommy Bohanon

11/19 still with team. Bohanon, SR, Pryor, Winters and Q the only ones to really contribute.

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:
2014 1 Calvin Pryor 18 DB 2015 0 0 2 5 29                       2 0.5 Louisville
2014 2 Jace Amaro 49 TE 2014 0 0 0 3 14                 38 345 2     Texas Tech
2014 3 Dexter McDougle 80 DB 2015 0 0 0   14                           Maryland
2014 4 Jalen Saunders 104 WR 2014 0 0 0 0 15                 1 7 0     Oklahoma
2014 4 Shaquelle Evans 115 WR   0 0 0                               UCLA
2014 4 Dakota Dozier 137 OL 2015 0 0 0   4                           Furman
2014 5 Jeremiah George 154 LB 2015 0 0 0 0 21                           Iowa St.
2014 6 Brandon Dixon 195 DB 2014 0 0 0 1 14                       1   NW Missouri St.
2014 6 Quincy Enunwa 209 WR 2015 0 0 0 0 13                 22 315 0     Nebraska
2014 6 IK Enemkpali 210 DT 2015 0 0 0 0 17                           Louisiana Tech
2014 6 Tajh Boyd 213 QB   0 0 0                               Clemson
2014 7 Trevor Reilly 233 LB 2015 0 0 0 1 29                         1.0 Utah
Year Rnd Player Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
2013 1 Dee Milliner 9 DB 2015 0 0 1 6 21                       3   Alabama
2013 1 Sheldon Richardson 13 DT 2015 0 1 3 15 43           4 4 2         16.5 Missouri
2013 2 Geno Smith 39 QB 2015 0 0 2 13 31 493 852 5836 27 35 133 638 7 1 13 0     West Virginia
2013 3 Brian Winters 72 G 2015 0 0 2 6 38                           Kent St.
2013 5 Oday Aboushi 141 T 2015 0 0 1 4 22                           Virginia
2013 6 William Campbell 178 OL   0 0 0                               Michigan
2013 7 Tommy Bohanon

12/19 still with team. Bohanon, SR, Pryor, Winters and Q the only ones to really contribute.

12/19 really isn't NEARLY as bad as it seemed. But what is bad is that only the few mentioned contribute

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Idzik ROI on 19 picks = 2 very solid players who can become stars. 2 up and coming with Q and Jace? 

Geno, Winters, Bohannon, Dozier, Milliner, Dexter and Reilly = JAGS

I won't call Milliner a jag YET. Injuries have hampered him. And Tommy Bohannon has been a solid fullback for us. He even catches passes every once in awhile.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I won't call Milliner a jag YET. Injuries have hampered him. And Tommy Bohannon has been a solid fullback for us. He even catches passes every once in awhile.

I'm sorry..... 95% of FB are JAGS by the nature of the position in todays NFL.

Milliner, as much as I hope he goes on to have a good career, has been a JAG for us.

Injuries make you a JAG in my book. Not his fault but in the final equation.... that counts.

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I'm sorry..... 95% of FB are JAGS by the nature of the position in todays NFL.

Milliner, as much as I hope he goes on to have a good career, has been a JAG for us.

Injuries make you a JAG in my book. Not his fault but in the final equation.... that counts.

Lol alright man. Not much to counter with here in my case..you seem to have your mind set.

Just now, Big Blocker said:

Technically yes, but I always thought from the available info that Richardson was the choice of the CS more than Idzik and the scouts.  Cant call up a link on that, though.

Lol regardless it was an Idzik pick. He was the GM who made the pick. I hated Idzik too, but c'mon man lol.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol regardless it was an Idzik pick. He was the GM who made the pick. I hated Idzik too, but c'mon man lol.

The Jets had two first round picks due to the Revis situation.  The Jets got one solid player out of it, and again the info was the CS was behind the pick.  How much credit should Idzik get?

Just now, Big Blocker said:

The Jets had two first round picks due to the Revis situation.  The Jets got one solid player out of it, and again the info was the CS was behind the pick.  How much credit should Idzik get?

Where is this info? Because regardless of who wanted who, the GM has final say in who gets picked. He had to of been on board with the pick at the very least. And that's at the very least. 

2 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

If he gets credit for the busts, he should get credit for the hits. You think Milliner was purely an Idzik pick?????

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Enuwa playing in the slot/H-Back is useful enough. While Enuwa is in the slot, you can have Amaro play H-Back or even the complete opposite and put Amaro in the slot and Enuwa in the H-Back role. Amaro can play the traditional TE as well, so you have two players who can play 3 different positions and can be on the field at the same time. The versatility in that alone is insane.. this offense is a top 10 sleeper again.

Yep. Amaro is a Split End. So he can play the slot- that's all he did in college and the reason he got over 100 catches.

We're gonna see Enunwa as the H-back in motion with Amaro in the slot, Decker and Marshall on the outside and Forte in the backfield. This gives Fitz 5 passing targets and allows the Jets to also run the ball from a spread formation with 2 TE blockers. Very hard to stop. This forces the defense to show their cards. Then Fitz can always audible to the Pass if he likes what he sees.  And, of course, this will lead to an effective PA. 

Archived