Notice the serene feeling over Florham Park.....

carlito1171

No TC drama, No big bluster from our HC, No media sniffing at the heels of our every move, no rats or moles in the org, No QB controversy, No complaining about lack of production from our O...

What we do see is our offense trading good practices with the D, a coach with the pulse of the team and keeps media at bay, young promising players flashing early, vets showing fire and competitiveness because missing the playoffs last year is not good enough....

The makings of a good football team?????????

We'll see.....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

I very much agree with this. Men are running the joint now and discipline is all over the place. Once we stabilize the QB position, we will be perennial play off team. Future is bright and I am not really a sunshiner. I say it like I see it. 

This is thanks to the coaching staff. The young players flashing all that potential is our boy Maccagan's doing. I love it, it goes to show when you have a guy who can get talent and the you have a coach who can enhance it and tap potential..you have a solid squad for years. I like what we have here and i see this team being better than what is expected. I see a 11/12 win team even considering the beginning of the schedule. This team has two future Hall Of Famers on both sides of the ball.

Agreed.  I like the way the front office handles things and have seen a few very important things from them in their time here, media aside.

Getting some viable playing talent later in the draft and in UDFA.

Handing out contracts that in many cases can be gotten away from before they become an anchor.

Bringing rookies along slowly if they need it but not holding them back otherwise.

Taking firm action to try and remediate very poor parts of the team  (Special teams)

The "professional vibe" was very evident as I stood on the sidelines.  The players were
attentive, not goofing around, aware when their number was called and respectful to the
coaches.  The culture has definitely changed, hopefully that translates to a playoff
berth  

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

The "professional vibe" was very evident as I stood on the sidelines.  The players were
attentive, not goofing around, aware when their number was called and respectful to the
coaches.  The culture has definitely changed, hopefully that translates to a playoff
berth  

+1 Now all we have to do is beat the Bills..;)

Drafting a QB every year, surely must enhance our odds of hitting pay-dirt

MacDaddy understands that the QB is most important piece of the puzzle, which makes passing over Lynch all the more questionable

The way he's building the depth at all positions will make us SB bound once we find our QB. Maybe it's Fitz?? I hope so

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Drafting a QB every year, surely must enhance our odds of hitting pay-dirt

MacDaddy understands that the QB is most important piece of the puzzle, which makes passing over Lynch all the more questionable

The way he's building the depth at all positions will make us SB bound once we find our QB. Maybe it's Fitz?? I hope so

I'm not sure what's "questionable" about it. He clearly just liked Hackenberg more than Lynch... Let's pray he's right.

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

No TC drama, No big bluster from our HC, No media sniffing at the heels of our every move, no rats or moles in the org, No QB controversy, No complaining about lack of production from our O...

What we do see is our offense trading good practices with the D, a coach with the pulse of the team and keeps media at bay, young promising players flashing early, vets showing fire and competitiveness because missing the playoffs last year is not good enough....

The makings of a good football team?????????

We'll see.....

I miss REX.

NOT

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I miss the days when LBs punched out QBs, what regime was that under again?

So you see no difference between how Rex ran things and how Bowles is running things? One incident should define the entire bodywork of Bowles? What is your point nyjunc?

It's totally different then the Rex days. And its a welcome difference. The brash talk got old after a while. Especially after the 2011 season.

I was so tired of having a HC be the story all the time. Bowles has the feel of a program builder type of coach. I hope that's just what he is. Even without making the playoffs last year, I would still call his first season a success. I loved the way he coached the team and 10 wins is still 10 wins. Most years that's good enough. The game in Buffalo was a horrible end to the season but unfortunately those things happen. I like what Bowles is doing here so far.

12 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

So you see no difference between how Rex ran things and how Bowles is running things? One incident should define the entire bodywork of Bowles? What is your point nyjunc?

I really like Bowles but it's silly to sit here and bash rex.  there are different styles that can work.  Bowles had a team every bit as talented as us in 2009 or 2010 and couldn't get us to the playoffs.  I hope Bowles turns out to be much better than rex and that he can get us to a SB but I still appreciate what Rex did for us and he did more than what Bowles has done so far.

we had a million distractions last year, it wasn't just one punch.  Bowles handled them all very well but when Bowles is fired in a few years we'll hear how we need a guy w/ more animation then when that guy is fired we'll need a no nonsense guy and the merry go round will continue...

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's totally different then the Rex days. And its a welcome difference. The brash talk got old after a while. Especially after the 2011 season.

I was so tired of having a HC be the story all the time. Bowles has the feel of a program builder type of coach. I hope that's just what he is. Even without making the playoffs last year, I would still call his first season a success. I loved the way he coached the team and 10 wins is still 10 wins. Most years that's good enough. The game in Buffalo was a horrible end to the season but unfortunately those things happen. I like what Bowles is doing here so far.

his first season was a failure.  w/ that said I am really happy he is our HC but 2015 was a complete failure w/ all that talent and that weak schedule to not make the playoffs made it a failure and Bowles would agree if you asked him.

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

+1 Now all we have to do is beat the Bills..;)

I'd like to beat all of them.

Go undefeated. Do it.

In one ******* season we'd show up Satan by pissing on the Namath Curse, we'd show up the Dolphins and their stupid undefeated season jibberish, we'd show up the Patriots for the past decade... because the only way to shut up a bunch of cheaters pointing at their collection of trophies is to do the one thing they couldn't... win it all, with a perfect season.

So yea... do it. 

Shock troll the world.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

his first season was a failure.  w/ that said I am really happy he is our HC but 2015 was a complete failure w/ all that talent and that weak schedule to not make the playoffs made it a failure and Bowles would agree if you asked him.

How do you feel about Mangini's final season here?

Just now, nyjunc said:

It was not a failure. The final game was a failure. The Jets did not have big expectations on them heading into the season. They outplayed their projections by far. Bowles and the staff deserve a lot of credit for that. He hired the right coach who gets the most out of a guy like Fitzpatrick, and maybe even Geno (who knows), he worked around a poor O-Line. They took us from being a team that relied heavily on our D to win games to a team that now is more complete and can perform on both sides of the ball

Bowles laid the groundwork in year 1. It had a disappointing end to it but the season was not a failure. Of course Bowles would tell you that, that's what he has to say, he'd get bashed if he said otherwise.  But I can look at the season for what it was, definitely not a failure.

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It was not a failure. The final game was a failure. The Jets did not have big expectations on them heading into the season. They outplayed their projections by far. Bowles and the staff deserve a lot of credit for that. He hired the right coach who gets the most out of a guy like Fitzpatrick, and maybe even Geno (who knows), he worked around a poor O-Line. They took us from being a team that relied heavily on our D to win games to a team that now is more complete and can perform on both sides of the ball

Bowles laid the groundwork in year 1. It had a disappointing end to it but the season was not a failure. Of course Bowles would tell you that, that's what he has to say, he'd get bashed if he said otherwise.  But I can look at the season for what it was, definitely not a failure.

Pretty much. Pinning the entire season or even game on Fitz is silly, considering going in we knew if we left it up entirely to the QB it wasnt going to work. We had the worst punter in the league and a defense that couldn't get off the field against the Bills.

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The season was defined by the final game, the fact that we looked totally unprepared, lifeless and allowed the wind to spook us made that game and the season a failure.  That doesn't mean we won't succeed in the future but last year was a failure.  vet team, easy sched, playoffs in hand and we failed.  

Just now, nyjunc said:

total failure

Same amount of regular season wins as Rex had his first season. Just unlucky that in 2009 it was enough to sneak in, and 2008 it wasn't. If Mangini had snagged a wildcard spot, do you think he gets fired? Do you think Favre leaves after 1 year? Healthy Favre in 2009, do you think we could have done even better with the same team returning, rather than Rex and Sanchez?

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty much. Pinning the entire season or even game on Fitz is silly, considering going in we knew if we left it up entirely to the QB it wasnt going to work. We had the worst punter in the league and a defense that couldn't get off the field against the Bills.

and a QB that was atrocious.

I am not blaming it all on Fitz, the team was unprepared and lifeless so Bowles gets his share of the blame, the D gets their share but Fitz was awful.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Agreed. We know Fitz is, asking him to win that game in Buffalo by himself wasn't realistic. He could have played better, but the whole team could have. We let Buffalo jump out to an early lead and started in a whole. Our punter was awful and we couldn't stop Watkins at all if I remember correctly. You can't judge an entire season on one game for a player or a coach.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

The season was defined by the final game, the fact that we looked totally unprepared, lifeless and allowed the wind to spook us made that game and the season a failure.  That doesn't mean we won't succeed in the future but last year was a failure.  vet team, easy sched, playoffs in hand and we failed.  

Much like our two afc titles games we failed with rex coaching and marky mark at qb.  Last game defined the season.

Just now, nyjunc said:

and a QB that was atrocious.

I am not blaming it all on Fitz, the team was unprepared and lifeless so Bowles gets his share of the blame, the D gets their share but Fitz was awful.

And we put him in a position he shouldnt have been in. If Fitzpatrick has to play from behind on the road because our punter cant punt and the defense cant get off the field and Stephen Ridley then Jets lose.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

berth  

Yep, Bowles and McCagnan have this team on an even keel.

Quite a refreshing change from years past.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Same amount of regular season wins as Rex had his first season. Just unlucky that in 2009 it was enough to sneak in, and 2008 it wasn't. If Mangini had snagged a wildcard spot, do you think he gets fired? Do you think Favre leaves after 1 year? Healthy Favre in 2009, do you think we could have done even better with the same team returning, rather than Rex and Sanchez?

against much easier schedule w/ no Tom Brady around.  9 wins in 2009 was better than 10 wins in 2015 or 9 wins in 2008.  every year the # of wins changes that you need to reach the playoffs, we had it in our hands in both 2008 and 2015 and we failed.  In 2009 we succeeded.

If we made the playoffs in 2008 Mangini doesn't get fired but I wouldn't expect Favre back b/c he never really wanted to be here(which was a major reason we missed the playoffs), he wanted Minnesota to stick it to GB.  If we had 2009 Minnesota Favre in 2008 or 2009 we could have won the Super Bowl but that guy was never showing up here, he wasn't committed to us.

I couldn't possibly care less about more subdued press conferences or supposed professionalism on the sidelines (Revis and Marshall may disagree).

What Rex and Sanchez did in their first year was a hell of a lot more fun than anything I saw last year.  Lets hope Bowels in year 2 can match Rex' early success.  

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Agreed. We know Fitz is, asking him to win that game in Buffalo by himself wasn't realistic. He could have played better, but the whole team could have. We let Buffalo jump out to an early lead and started in a whole. Our punter was awful and we couldn't stop Watkins at all if I remember correctly. You can't judge an entire season on one game for a player or a coach.

fitz was not asked to do anything special, he was asked to lead a very talented team to a win over a mediocre team that quit.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Much like our two afc titles games we failed with rex coaching and marky mark at qb.  Last game defined the season.

we failed in both title games but we were a game away from the SUPER BOWL, a tad different than not being able to even get to the playoffs, right?

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

And we put him in a position he shouldnt have been in. If Fitzpatrick has to play from behind on the road because our punter cant punt and the defense cant get off the field and Stephen Ridley then Jets lose.

Fitz played from behind b/c he was atrocious and put us in a hole.  we got the first possession and punted, the D held.  next possession we punted then the D heled.  next possession we punted then Buffalo scored.

Just now, nyjunc said:

against much easier schedule w/ no Tom Brady around.  9 wins in 2009 was better than 10 wins in 2015 or 9 wins in 2008.  every year the # of wins changes that you need to reach the playoffs, we had it in our hands in both 2008 and 2015 and we failed.  In 2009 we succeeded.

If we made the playoffs in 2008 Mangini doesn't get fired but I wouldn't expect Favre back b/c he never really wanted to be here(which was a major reason we missed the playoffs), he wanted Minnesota to stick it to GB.  If we had 2009 Minnesota Favre in 2008 or 2009 we could have won the Super Bowl but that guy was never showing up here, he wasn't committed to us.

Stuff like the bold doesn't matter, if it does, then the Colts benching their starters and giving 2009 Jets a free win should weight heavily as well.

I agree with failed in 2008, 2015... but I would not categorically call 2009 a success. I think that ignores conditions that you use in separate arguments to define failure in the other 2 seasons. Ultimate, it looks like your criteria is "in the playoffs" or "not in the playoffs", which is fair. I just don't think all of the parameters you use in defending that criteria pan out.

Anyway, I was just wondering. Doesn't really matter all that much. Totally agree that a healthy Favre makes us a SB contender in either of those years too... almost had lightning in a bottle there. Almost. 

SMH.

Archived