Preseason Game 1: What to watch for???

Integrity28

A couple of themes carrying over from the preseason into tonights game, and things I hope to be able to see pan out more:

• Geno has had a great camp, based on tweets, but he's had great camps before. I want to see him grab the bull by the horns and translate it to the field. Best thing in the world for the Jets franchise is to suddenly become "QB rich".
  • Petty started camp out poorly, but if I were to chart the buzz about him, we'd have seen it suddenly shoot up the day after I think he didn't complete a single pass in any of his reps. Since then, he's been dropping bombs. Part of me wonders if he had a bad day, got down on himself, and said "**** it, I'm just going to stop over-thinking and trust myself" or something like that... basically, I want to see if the light came on for him.
  • Jalin Marshall has been one of the best stories of camp. Is he for real? I want to see it.
  • Jordan Jenkins looks like a day one starter. Who are these Jets that draft day one starters in the 3rd round? I want to see him in coverage, and I want to see him set the edge. 
  • Where will Skrine line up? What other CB is going to step up and help ensure this secondary remain dominant? The rookie Burris? Dex? Dee? I want to see it.
  • We've all heard about Jace Amaro's blocking, but I want to see it in live action. I expect him to get a lot of reps. If he can matriculate into even a middle of the pack TE, he'll be like an extra draft pick / free agent for us this year. Like finding a $20 bill crumpled up in your winter coat after you take it out of storage.
  • The offensive line. The whole unit, other than Mangold and Carpenter, is enigmatic at this point. I'd like to see some guys stand out as "ready" to join the starting unit. Right now, this is the area where I have the least confidence in this team. 
  • Coaching. I want to see improved special teams, more than anything else. I would also like to see how Bowles plays his corners. The lasting images I have of that Bills week 17 mess is Revis lining up so deep that he was beyond the first down marker, Brick completely whiffing and allowing the QB pressure that resulted in one of Fitz's INTs, Stevan Ridley not knowing how to play football, and Fitz's other two INTs. So... needless to say, the last impression Bowles made in year 1, was not a good one. The uninspired, we beat teh Pats and that's good enough Jets showed back up, and that's not acceptable.

More than anything else: I'll be watching to hope nobody gets hurt.

PASS RUSH and COVERAGE from LBs.

The biggest question DEFENSIVELY going into the offseason was can we get faster at the LB position to generate a better pass rush and keep up with TE's/RB's in coverage. 

Harris is still on the team as the glue, big things are expected of Mauldin as a pass rusher, you had already mentioned Jenkins, Lee was drafted in the first round to address this exact issue, Henderson and Carter were brought due to their coverage ability. Bishop, Reilly, Barnes, Jones, Catapano, Martin will all be chomping at the bit to get more snaps.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the LB play.  

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We've all heard about Jace Amaro's blocking, but I want to see it in live action. I expect him to get a lot of reps. If he can matriculate into even a middle of the pack TE, he'll be like an extra draft pick / free agent for us this year. Like finding a $20 bill crumpled up in your winter coat after you take it out of storage.

Easy, Hank Stram. 

I want to see how noticeable the new emphasis on speed is at this point.  Obviously the athletic part of the equation has been addressed but do the young guys play instinctually and quick or are they still feeling things out

This will definitely be a big game for Geno. Not a make or break game but you'd like to see him move the ball efficiently and be mistake free. Esp against their first stringers on D. But results of exhibition games are no big deal. You can mop up the floor with pre-season opponents and then lose regular season games. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

This will definitely be a big game for Geno. Not a make or break game but you'd like to see him move the ball efficiently and be mistake free. Esp against their first stringers on D. But results of exhibition games are no big deal. You can mop up the floor with pre-season opponents and then lose regular season games. 

he's got to prove that he can take his improvement in practices and bring it to the games.  if he can't, then he's useless, truly useless.  may as well cut him and keep petty.

Most interested in Petty and Hackenberg because one of those two might be our starting QB in a year or two. 

Want to see cohesion, consistency and discipline out of the team. Sure most of the game will be backups and young players but the tone of those players will say a lot about how Bowles' leadership will drive the team this year. Last year there was a lot of inconsistency in the early preseason games and then we saw some of that same inconsistency in the regular season. This year we have reliable leadership on the field, a professional approach from management and a year apart from the looser Rex era. 

No injuries.

I'm mostly interested in watching Hack. He's the only one of the three that you're certain will be with the team in Sept. Basically with Geno you'd like to see how he deals with pressure. I think if the Jets could get a draft pick for him they'd take it.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

A couple of themes carrying over from the preseason into tonights game, and things I hope to be able to see pan out more:

• Geno has had a great camp, based on tweets, but he's had great camps before. I want to see him grab the bull by the horns and translate it to the field. Best thing in the world for the Jets franchise is to suddenly become "QB rich".
  • Petty started camp out poorly, but if I were to chart the buzz about him, we'd have seen it suddenly shoot up the day after I think he didn't complete a single pass in any of his reps. Since then, he's been dropping bombs. Part of me wonders if he had a bad day, got down on himself, and said "**** it, I'm just going to stop over-thinking and trust myself" or something like that... basically, I want to see if the light came on for him.
  • Jalin Marshall has been one of the best stories of camp. Is he for real? I want to see it.
  • Jordan Jenkins looks like a day one starter. Who are these Jets that draft day one starters in the 3rd round? I want to see him in coverage, and I want to see him set the edge. 
  • Where will Skrine line up? What other CB is going to step up and help ensure this secondary remain dominant? The rookie Burris? Dex? Dee? I want to see it.
  • We've all heard about Jace Amaro's blocking, but I want to see it in live action. I expect him to get a lot of reps. If he can matriculate into even a middle of the pack TE, he'll be like an extra draft pick / free agent for us this year. Like finding a $20 bill crumpled up in your winter coat after you take it out of storage.
  • The offensive line. The whole unit, other than Mangold and Carpenter, is enigmatic at this point. I'd like to see some guys stand out as "ready" to join the starting unit. Right now, this is the area where I have the least confidence in this team. 
  • Coaching. I want to see improved special teams, more than anything else. I would also like to see how Bowles plays his corners. The lasting images I have of that Bills week 17 mess is Revis lining up so deep that he was beyond the first down marker, Brick completely whiffing and allowing the QB pressure that resulted in one of Fitz's INTs, Stevan Ridley not knowing how to play football, and Fitz's other two INTs. So... needless to say, the last impression Bowles made in year 1, was not a good one. The uninspired, we beat teh Pats and that's good enough Jets showed back up, and that's not acceptable.

More than anything else: I'll be watching to hope nobody gets hurt.

So if I hear what you're saying - you want to see it?

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm mostly interested in watching Hack. He's the only one of the three that you're certain will be with the team in Sept. Basically with Geno you'd like to see how he deals with pressure. I think if the Jets could get a draft pick for him they'd take it.

i don't think he's going to play much.  he's not getting the reps in practice and they don't really need to see much of him this preseason.  i think the thrust of the qb issue is to see if petty is at least close to catching geno as the backup.  it's actually one of the more interesting positional battles in camp since there's at least a chance either of them could get cut.

I want to see the young DBs (Milliner, Middleton and Burris) thrive, Amaro's blocking, and see if Enunwa's routes have actually improved. I think we'll get a good glimpse of Lee's role, and I'd like to see his coverage skills in action while wearing GREEN & WHITE. I'm not too optimistic about Mauldin's development into an every down guy, so I hope to slowly be proved wrong (that'll take more than tonight).

Arguably the most important piece of this roster puzzle is the OL. I'm really hoping to see mainly at least Winters and Qvale impress. I'm hoping we don't have to rely on Breno this season. If they can improve, our running game should compliment our passing game even better than it did last year.

GO JETS

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Mauldin.

If the defense is going to get to a "dominant" stage we need him to be a legit pass rusher.

Mauldin is key, I think, and hopefully will be part of an improved overall speed from the linebackers.  But... I am not sure how much of that we will see tonight.

Archived