NFL: Al-Jazeera-implicated players must speak or face suspension

Gas2No99

NFL: Al-Jazeera-implicated players must speak or face suspension

• fowler_jeremy_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Jeremy FowlerESPN Staff Writer

The NFL has threatened discipline, including suspension, for players refusing to cooperate with the league's investigation into steroid claims made by an Al-Jazeera America report. (Which is now sadly a defunct Network since April'16 - I thought it had great international news content)

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James HarrisonGreen Bay Packerslinebackers Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers and former Packers linebacker Mike Neal have until Aug. 25 to comply with the league's requests for interviews, according to an NFL letter sent to the NFLPA and obtained by ESPN.

Vice president of labor policy and league affairs Adolpho Bítch wrote the league has a "good faith basis" for investigating potential violations of the NFL's drug policy, yet the league has made at least seven unsuccessful attempts to interview these players.

"For those players whose interviews do not take place on or before [Aug. 25], or who fail meaningfully to participate in or otherwise obstruct the interview, their actions will constitute conduct detrimental and they will be suspended, separate and apart from any possible future determination that they violated the steroid policy," Bitch wrote. "The suspension for each such player will begin on Friday, August 26 and will continue until he has fully participated in an interview with league investigators, after which the Commissioner will determine whether and when the suspension should be lifted."<_<

The NFLPA contends there's no evidence to merit an investigation. Charlie Sly, the Indiana pharmacist who made the accusations to Al-Jazeera, has recanted his statements about the players, including Peyton Manning, who was central to the report and will not be punished by the league after cooperating with investigators.

The players have an obligation to "submit to an interview but also the duty to provide meaningful responses to the questions posed," Bitch wrote.

The NFLPA issued statements to the league on behalf of the players, of which the NFL considers "wholly devoid of any detail." In his statement, Harrison denies the use of performance-enhancing drugs, and he recently told USA Today that the allegations made by Al-Jazeera were "flimsy."

Harrison has declined comment on the matter at training camp.

Matthews called the claims "bogus" at the start of training camp.

"It's kind of annoying that I have to continue to deal with this," Matthews said. "But the truth will come out, and everything I said when the allegations came out I still stand by."

Peppers called the allegations "nonsense."

The league first focused on interviewing Neal since he's a free agent, but the NFL's letter cites an assertion in Neal's NFLPA-approved statement as "demonstrably false."

"Rather than eliminate the need for interviews, the players' plainly deficient statements simply underscore the importance of obtaining their full cooperation," Bitch wrote. (i.e., they told the NFL's B!tch to go Eat a D!ck!)

Players can contact the NFL office to schedule an interview, the letter states.

NFLPA assistant executive director of external affairs George Atallah told ESPN this summer that the players need more evidence from the league before addressing the reports further.

"They have proved to have a terrible track record when it comes to investigations," Atallah said of the NFL.:lol:

ESPN's Rob Demovsky contributed to this report.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

These guys are idiots. There seems to be nothing to the story, so just go answer the questions so the league can close the inquiry. That seems to be all they're asking. Good move by the league going public with the warning after the Brady thing.

There is something to the story that's why they are being evasive

Dudes... If guys on the Al Jazeera report don't cooperate, and the NFL doesn't hammer then, then the "Brady's suspension was partially because he didn't cooperate" loophole gets opened up. The NFL is going to be extremely stringent on punishing anyone that doesn't cooperate, so that they can retroactively establish premise for the Brady punishment.

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

"THE ENTIRE NFL IS CONSPIRING AGAINST BRADY AND BELICHICK, AND CONSPIRING TO HELP PEYTON"

Guess this puts an end to that.

On second thought, it's masshole pats fans. It 100% won't. 

Nothing in the history of mankind has been able to put an end to ignorance. Why should this be any different?

Fully support the NFL on this.  There is no basic human right to play in the NFL, and if you're implicated is cheating, you need to answer for it.  Just like any employee/.contractor in any other normal business.

The era of players running the asylum is over, as it damn well should be.  Now if only our justice system would do the same and stop giving these idiots slapped hands when they break the law, we'd all be better off.

/oldmancaneshake

I can say that this is preposterous. 

IMO an unsubstantiated article that wasn't verified by any third party shouldn't be the basis of any type of investigation.  Indeed folks can plant stories, disrupt reputations and otherwise form the basis of a mindless witch hunt. 

The Brady case wasn't started because of an unsubstantiated news article but because of actually documented wrong doing, deflated balls and when the league sought to investigate, Brady deliberately destroyed evidence (his phone) and then further obstructed investigation.

15 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

So now whenever something is reported in the media, players not only need to answer questions in the media but also need to answer to the NFL?  Man(ish) should have a field day with this...

If the media reported you had stolen $10,000 from your employer, do you think your employer would call you in and want to speak with you?

If you refused, do you think you'd still have a job?

Get real.  Stop treating these pampered athletes like they're above the law, or beyond the reach of sanctions smucks like you and I would have to face.

32 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

So now whenever something is reported in the media, players not only need to answer questions in the media but also need to answer to the NFL?  Man(ish) should have a field day with this...

It was reported because a Dr. spoke to the media and named names.  Not like Manish and an unnamed source. 

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the media reported you had stolen $10,000 from your employer, do you think your employer would call you in and want to speak with you?

If you refused, do you think you'd still have a job?

Get real.  Stop treating these pampered athletes like they're above the law, or beyond the reach of sanctions smucks like you and I would have to face.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It was reported because a Dr. spoke to the media and named names.  Not like Manish and an unnamed source. 

Okay, so where is the line drawn?  Must be a doctor? Trainer? Engineer? Can a bartender say that they saw a player doing lines of coke at a bar to TMZ and now they have to be brought in for a PT and questioning? Does there have to be video evidence? Written evidence?  I am not treating them as pampered but if you think that they are not enough of a target as far a blackmail you are living in a dream world.  This will be exploited for others gain imo.

I was never a fan of al jazeera but those of you bashing al jazeera probably didn't watch the report.  The crap they had on peyton was very iffy/circumstantial (although I still think it was true)but these other guys were clearly involved.  

If they're innocent they should just cooperate. They won't because they know they're guilty. 

20 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Okay, so where is the line drawn?

Wherever the employer wants it to be, as long as it's within the law.

Can a bartender say that they saw a player doing lines of coke at a bar to TMZ and now they have to be brought in for a PT and questioning?

Yes.

But in this case it's a legit News agency.  People can hurf-a-blurf their "But theys is turrists!" bigotry all they like, it won't change that fact.

Manning went in, spoke, and was cleared.  No reason to expect the others won;t as well if the evidence is as flimsy as you seem to think.

So why not go in if asked?  if the league disciplines them on bad evidence, they can always sue.

I am not treating them as pampered...

Yes, you are.

Be assured, your employer wouldn't be overly worried about the quality of evidence before they spoke with you.

...but if you think that they are not enough of a target as far a blackmail you are living in a dream world.  This will be exploited for others gain imo.

Too bad.  Don't cheat, don't do illegal drugs, don't club at 3:00 am and hit people, etc.

Not too much to ask for the millions they make in return.

No pity or sympathy of any kind.

31 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Okay, so where is the line drawn?  Must be a doctor? Trainer? Engineer? Can a bartender say that they saw a player doing lines of coke at a bar to TMZ and now they have to be brought in for a PT and questioning? Does there have to be video evidence? Written evidence?  I am not treating them as pampered but if you think that they are not enough of a target as far a blackmail you are living in a dream world.  This will be exploited for others gain imo.

A Dr who says he administered PEDs is pretty damning and needs to be investigated.  They're being called in to talk, what's the big deal, especially if they did nothing

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wherever the employer wants it to be, as long as it's within the law.

Yes.

But in this case it's a legit News agency.  People can hurf-a-blurf their "But theys is turrists!" bigotry all they like, it won't change that fact.

Manning went in, spoke, and was cleared.  No reason to expect the others won;t as well if the evidence is as flimsy as you seem to think.

So why not go in if asked?  if the league disciplines them on bad evidence, they can always sue.

Yes, you are.

Be assured, your employer wouldn't be overly worried about the quality of evidence before they spoke with you.

Too bad.  Don't cheat, don't do illegal drugs, don't club at 3:00 am and hit people, etc.

Not too much to ask for the millions they make in return.

No pity or sympathy of any kind.

I think you missed my point.  if a player does any of the things you mentioned, he should be disciplined.  Not arguing that fact one bit.  My question was if the NY Post runs an article, does the NFL have the right to have the player answer to what the article reported. 

Here's a letter to the New York Post
The worst piece of paper on the east coast
Matter of fact the whole state's forty cents
in New York City fifty cents elsewhere
It makes no goddamn sense at all
America's oldest continuously published daily piece of bullsh*t

35 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Exactly how do you blackmail someone over PEDs if they're clean?  Simple to prove.  How do you exploit anyone?  

Tell you what, pay me 5+ mil per with a signing bonus and I'll answer all the questions you want, won't mind the inconvenience   

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Exactly how do you blackmail someone over PEDs is they're clean?  Simple to prove.  How do you exploit anyone?  

Tell you what, pay me 5+ mil per and I'll answer all the questions you want.  

Okay, so now we accept a doctor turned rat's allegations as something that needs to be addressed to their employer.  Who else?

6 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Okay, so now we accept a doctor turned rat's allegations as something that needs to be addressed to their employer.  Who else?

What's your point?  If it's credible they'll investigate.  As it's always been done.  If it's bothersome the players can quit and make their millions some other way.  

14 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I think you missed my point.  if a player does any of the things you mentioned, he should be disciplined.  Not arguing that fact one bit.

Ok.

14 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

My question was if the NY Post runs an article, does the NFL have the right to have the player answer to what the article reported. 

Yes.

The story could be in the National Enquirer too, before you ask.

Questioning the employees/contractors, i.e. the players, is purely at the discretion of the League.

What are you afraid of exactly here?  What is your specific objection/offense over an employer questioning their contractors as to those contractors adherence to company rules based on a legitimate media report?

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

A Dr who says he administered PEDs is pretty damning and needs to be investigated.  They're being called in to talk, what's the big deal, especially if they did nothing

Some people's hatred for authority (Goodell) supersedes their ability to think rationally. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Some people's hatred for authority (Goodell) supersedes their ability to think rationally. 

I know, it's that and they age old fear of the man.  The no one has the right to judge me line of thinking. 

32 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I think you missed my point.  if a player does any of the things you mentioned, he should be disciplined.  Not arguing that fact one bit.  My question was if the NY Post runs an article, does the NFL have the right to have the player answer to what the article reported. 

Have you even seen the Al Jazeera report? You are acting as if Al Jazeera just made up a story. There was an in depth investigation. The NFL has a right to make harrison/Matthews answer questions. No one forces these guys to play in the NFL. If my boss calls me into his office to ask me questions about something they "heard" about, I am going to answer those questions. NFL players sometimes think they can do what they want. They can't. Tom Brady learned that the hard way. 

Archived