" Bryce Petty's days with Jets could be numbered " ~ ~ ~

kelly

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Hit the nail there. I'm all for keeping Petty and releasing the 54th ranked player on the team that wouldn't even suit up come gameday. Too much emphasis on that #53 spot, especially when you have a young QB that has shown signs of progress (and is an expert on Madden!)

To me, the problem is that we have an abundance of talent at WR and LB, and I don't want the 4th QB taking a spot from either group.  We have jag OL to spare but after that we'd be taking a talent hit to some degree in most other positions.  

The proverbial nice problem to have :)  Handle it Mac!   

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Amazing isn't it, if the article was about Geno being dumped everyone would say the writer has such great insight

Everyone? Really? I think you're being sensitive.

Almost everyone wants to keep Geno as long as he's the better backup. Thing is that Geno doesn't have a future here so if Petty could better him, then we could save a roster spot. 

That and Geno hasn't got much of a personality. Petty is full of charisma and very likeable. 

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

People involved with the Jets franchise: "Bryce has really come a long way. Night and day difference from last year. Showing real growth."

Media: "Petty playing for his job."

I don't even think this is a discussion. Petty isn't getting cut. The media is reaching...

No source, not even a hint of it coming from a source.  As if anyone would tell a reporter that they might cut a QB.  You would think they would want to wait for an injury or am inquiry.  Why cheapen the product? 

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

To me, the problem is that we have an abundance of talent at WR and LB, and I don't want the 4th QB taking a spot from either group.  We have jag OL to spare but after that we'd be taking a talent hit to some degree in most other positions.  

The proverbial nice problem to have :)  Handle it Mac!   

Then again you risk losing a QB who could help this season of Fitz went down or down the road when Geno and Fitz are gone to keep the number 6 or whatever WR who will contribute little once the season starts?  

2 hours ago, fltflo said:

Amazing isn't it, if the article was about Geno being dumped everyone would say the writer has such great insight

Nobody would have the chance to say anything, because there would be immediate, simultaneous vomiting and diarrhea from his fan club.

9 hours ago, j4jets said:

Lol Petty will be lucky to win a game right now. There is a little bit of talent upgrade when you're throwing against the starters as opposed to 3rd and 4th stringers. Jets are giving Petty extended looks right now. Hey, maybe he plays better against the starters as opposed to 4th stringers?

How did his third string offensive line do?

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

If Fitz goes down for 4 games, how many does Geno win, how many does Petty win?  I don't think those numbers are too different tbqh.

Keep the guy who might have a future here.  Geno doesn't.

Or a present. ?

Silly article. Petty is Macs QB pick from last year. The jury is still out on Petty. That's right, we don't know yet what Petty will be. Some are saying he won't win 1 game or he is as good or better than Geno. No one knows yet, but Mac knows it's way too soon to release this kid.

8 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Is Petty starting ahead of Geno this week? if the answer is no, then what confidence does Bowles really have? 

That would simply come across as normal ... If the opposite happens is when a big message is being sent.

if the answer is yes Petty comes in as #2 QB & plays well .... Geno's ice will begin cracking as well as being thin.

1 hour ago, ljr said:

That would simply come across as normal ... If the opposite happens is when a big message is being sent.

if the answer is yes Petty comes in as #2 QB & plays well .... Geno's ice will begin cracking as well as being thin.

I don't see an issue if Mac wants to give Petty an extended look against better competition. I don't see how that affects Geno, who is clearly better than Petty. Several practices had Petty on the bubble and then all of a sudden, he put together a couple of nice practices and an average quarter of a game. It certainly warrants an extended look to determine if Jets will keep Petty or let him go. I'm all for him staying. Guys like Kenbril Thompkins come dime a dozen so I wouldn't want him on the team before I'd take a QB who has shown some potential. 

I don't see an issue if Mac wants to give Petty an extended look against better competition. I don't see how that affects Geno, who is clearly better than Petty. Several practices had Petty on the bubble and then all of a sudden, he put together a couple of nice practices and an average quarter of a game. It certainly warrants an extended look to determine if Jets will keep Petty or let him go. I'm all for him staying. Guys like Kenbril Thompkins come dime a dozen so I wouldn't want him on the team before I'd take a QB who has shown some potential. 

if Geno (a quarterback that has exhibited THE worst QB play I have ever seen) is 'clearly' better than Petty .. they should both just be released immediately.

Finding and developing capable QBs is a numbers game. You don't draft a project, watch him improve for a year, then cut him because you drafted another project who is starting from scratch. Ain't happening.

Petty may be a trade candidate, but he's not being released. For the myriad reasons I've stated.

Would be so Jetsy to develop him, boot him, have him succeed on another team. 

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

The 7 completions for 93 yards probably means Petty was lighting it up then. 

Yes, based on watching the game, he was running for his life on a few plays and still had a nice touchdown pass, where the receiver was pushed out of bounds, 2 missed field goals and a couple of 3rd down drops that could have improved his stat line...

9 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Silly article. Petty is Macs QB pick from last year. The jury is still out on Petty. That's right, we don't know yet what Petty will be. Some are saying he won't win 1 game or he is as good or better than Geno. No one knows yet, but Mac knows it's way too soon to release this kid.

Mac wouldn't have drafted hackenberg in the 2nd if he really thought that much of petty.. Petty slid to the 4th last yr, and I think mac just went for the value pick..petty must not have shown a lot (in practice ) since being drafted.. Given the extreme lack of youth with our Oline, Mac still went ahead and drafted hackenberg knowing that move would make the qb situation problematic. 

Geno is not going anywhere.. Mac obviously thought geno could get the job done since he dared Fitz all spring and summer to go elsewhere.. I think they will carry 4, Atleast to start the yr..

Mac wouldn't have drafted hackenberg in the 2nd if he really thought that much of petty.. Petty slid to the 4th last yr, and I think mac just went for the value pick..petty must not have shown a lot (in practice ) since being drafted.. Given the extreme lack of youth with our Oline, Mac still went ahead and drafted hackenberg knowing that move would make the qb situation problematic. 

Geno is not going anywhere.. Mac obviously thought geno could get the job done since he dared Fitz all spring and summer to go elsewhere.. I think they will carry 4, Atleast to start the yr..

... wanna bet ... ?

47 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You're thinking of Idsick. You know the guy that wouldn't draft Carr, or Bridgewater because we already drafted Geno. 

That's a really stupid way of finding a franchise QB. Just take one every 3 years and hope it works out. 

Bryce Petty is proud of what he has learned since theJets drafted him in Round 4 last year. 

He is a much more mentally advanced quarterback than the guy who arrived in Florham Park as a project, coming out of an uptempo, spread offense at Baylor. Petty had a ton to learn about playing in an NFL offense. He has learned it well.But filling your head with all that film-work knowledge and correctly applying it — to make split-second decisions on the game field — are two entirely different things, as Petty has discovered in this training camp. 

The more Petty learned, the more he tended to overanalyze as he surveyed the defensive alignment during a play. That leads to slower decisions, and the ball not coming out of his hand quickly enough — the biggest area where Petty said he must improve in Friday's second preseason game, at Washington. "That's kind of been the Achilles heel of my game, is that sometimes I am over-analytical with things and think too much," he told NJ Advance Media this week. "It's great to learn a lot. But you still have to compartmentalize and be able to use it. It doesn't do any good if you know it and you can't apply it." 

In the Jets' preseason opener against the Jaguars, and also during training camp practices, Petty showed growth from the raw rookie of 2015. (Though Petty did say that, upon further examination of the Jaguars-Jets film, he needed to make quicker decisions about throwing the ball in some situations.)And he had to develop, because the Jets will make a decision at preseason's conclusion about whether to retain him on the 53-man roster (which would mean keeping four quarterbacks), cut him and try to stash him on their practice squad, or release him altogether. Petty wants to make it a difficult choice for the Jets. 

To do that, he must make quicker choices, in his own mind, during games. He can no longer second-guess himself, as he did earlier in this training camp. But Petty embraced this problem, because it meant he knew more than he did last year about reading a defense."I think last year, I was so focused on what I had to do," Petty said. "When a play was called, it was like: 'Man, what are these routes?' So I really wasn't even looking at the defense. It was just me trying to figure out what we had.

"Now, as soon as I hear the play, I can not only say it, but I can visualize it in my head. And then I am straight looking at the defense the whole time and being able to react to that, as far as their safety rotation, [and thinking], 'Do I want to work this side?'" Petty had learned so much that, during the early portion of camp, he "was trying to confirm what I saw" and thinking too much about what this defensive alignment or blitz meant for his next move. He didn't react quickly to his immediate recognition of the defense. Instead, he double checked it in his own brain. 

"So I was slow in getting the ball out," he said. "Finally, probably six practices ago, I was just like: 'Man, the heck with trying to perfect. The heck with trying to confirm it. Just go out there, see what you see, and roll.'

"That's just been so much better. My feet have timed up with my head and with my throw, to where it's smooth and I know where I want to go. And I just go there. I don't have to confirm it." Petty said quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo and starter Ryan Fitzpatrick told him, "You're good enough and smart enough to know what you see. When you see it, throw it. Don't think that maybe this isn't it."Petty said that "helped a lot, to where it's like: Most of the time, I am right."

Fitzpatrick said quick decisions are critical in offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's scheme. The ball simply must come out of the quarterback's hand fast. "  I've noticed the more comfortable Bryce is getting, the more decisive he's getting, and the better the ball is coming out of his hand," Fitzpatrick said. "He can really throw the ball. It's just a matter of that decisiveness, not overthinking things, being able to dissect what's going on before the ball is snapped."

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/what_jets_bryce_petty_says_he_must_improve_in_pres.html#incart_river_index

6 minutes ago, kelly said:

"So I was slow in getting the ball out," he said. "Finally, probably six practices ago, I was just like: 'Man, the heck with trying to perfect. The heck with trying to confirm it. Just go out there, see what you see, and roll.'

"That's just been so much better. My feet have timed up with my head and with my throw, to where it's smooth and I know where I want to go. And I just go there. I don't have to confirm it." Petty said quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo and starter Ryan Fitzpatrick told him, "You're good enough and smart enough to know what you see. When you see it, throw it. Don't think that maybe this isn't it."Petty said that "helped a lot, to where it's like: Most of the time, I am right."

Fitzpatrick said quick decisions are critical in offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's scheme. The ball simply must come out of the quarterback's hand fast. "  I've noticed the more comfortable Bryce is getting, the more decisive he's getting, and the better the ball is coming out of his hand," Fitzpatrick said. "He can really throw the ball. It's just a matter of that decisiveness, not overthinking things, being able to dissect what's going on before the ball is snapped."

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/what_jets_bryce_petty_says_he_must_improve_in_pres.html#incart_river_index

I told y'all the light flipped on for him. :)

This is such good new for the Jets if it pans further. Woohoo!

“Bryce has taken a huge jump from last year to this year and even in the last few days in practice from the first few days in practice,” Fitzpatrick said. “He has really done a nice job, and I think the thing that I’ve noticed, the more comfortable Bryce is getting, the more decisive he’s getting, the better the ball is coming out of his hand.”

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I really don't understand the venom  being shot Petty's way by some fans.  He hasn't done anything yet to deserve it.

Jets must like him, they traded up in the 4th round to get him.  They went into the season last year with him as the back up for 2 games.  He seems to be a very likable hard working kid.  He has great natural tools.

He came into OTA's this year looking lost.  It didn't get much better going into camp.  About 10 days in he had a horrible day 0-8.  He faced the media asking him questions like, "Do you think you'll be cut?" 

He said he was pushing to hard trying to change to much, and to be perfect.  He came out with his Favre quote, that he was just going to relax, and throw the ball up field.

Since then it seems like a light has gone on.  He has had some excellent practices.  So good to the point that Bowles has given him some of smith's 2nd team reps.  He played pretty well in a game that he had the likes of Craig Watts, Kyle Friend, Mike Liedtke, and Jesse Davis blocking for him.  They did poorly, and he still had decent stats.  His stats weren't the story of his game.  It was his strong upfield arm, and the fact that he maintained composure during heavy pressure.

He's not getting second team reps because smith is sucking it up, he's not.  smith isn't playing as hot as he was in OTA's and mini camp, but he's still playing adequate.

This is a good thing.  All 3 QB's are playing well in camp.  Petty is for sure pushing smith.  What's not to like?

Be happy.  Maybe, and I repeat Maybe, something very good is going on.

EDIT:  Didn't mean to quote Johnnysd here.  It just happened, and I couldn't undue it.  sorry

Archived