Buster Skrine Restructured

CrazyCarl40

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_restructure_buster_skrines_contract_to_create.html

Jets restructure Buster Skrine's contract, to create salary cap space, per source

The Jets have restructured cornerback Buster Skrine's contract to create $2.5 million in salary cap space for 2016, a league source told NJ Advance Media. 

The Jets, pressed for cap space, gave Skrine a $3.75 million signing bonus, while dropping his 2016 base salary from $6.5 million to $2.75 million. 

His old 2016 cap number was $7.754 million. It is now $5.254 million. 

Skrine, 27, is entering Year 6 in the NFL. 

Skrine, who signed with the Jets before last season, is under contract through 2018. His salary cap and dead money figures for 2017 and 2018 both have now increased, because of his prorated $3.75 million signing bonus. 

For the Jets, that's the trade-off to the immediate cap savings. Skrine's cap numbers in both 2017 and 2018 will be $8.5 million, while his dead money figures will be $5 million and $2.5 million in those seasons. 

His cap numbers in each of the next two seasons are now $1.25 million higher, because of the prorated signing bonus ($3.75 million divided by three). His dead money figure in 2017 is now $2.5 million higher, and his dead money figure in 2018 is now $1.25 million higher. 

Skrine's base salaries in 2017 and 2018 — $6 million each year — are not guaranteed. 

But Skrine isn't making any less money overall in 2016, because the $3.75 million signing bonus makes up for the reduction in his 2016 base salary. This is just a simple contract restructuring, for cap purposes. 

Skrine serves as both the Jets' starting outside cornerback in their base defense, opposite Darrelle Revis, and their starting slot corner in their nickel defense — which is the role he had for them last season. 

All it really does it save money now and make him harder to cut in the future. I know they had to make room somehow, but I'm not sure this was the way to do it. Carpenter last season made sense. This one leaves me scratching my head.

While I agree Skrine seems like a weird option, with today's rolling cap, it doesn't really make any difference who you restructure, as long as it ends up being the same amount of money that is getting moved around.  All they're really doing here is borrowing some money from the next two years.  If they don't end up using it, it'll roll into next year anyway, so no real harm done.

The only thing that really needs to be considered with moves like this is making sure you only do this with players you are 100% certain will be on the roster throughout the entire season, without any chance of being cut, otherwise you just handed over money you wouldn't have paid otherwise.  Considering that Skrine has enough years to be a vested veteran, that would only really be a concern if they plan on cutting him in the next two days.

Just now, JiF said:

Are they targeting someone?  Seems pretty late in the offseason for a restructure to make room this year.  Unless they have an extension in mind for someone? 

If I had to guess it's probably just a matter of having a little wiggle room, especially considering they have absolutely none.  Not to mention, it seems very likely, given some of the curious current roster setup, that the Jets will soon be making moves after week 1 to bring in some other vets, who would cost a little more.

25 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I agree Skrine seems like a weird option, with today's rolling cap, it doesn't really make any difference who you restructure, as long as it ends up being the same amount of money that is getting moved around.  All they're really doing here is borrowing some money from the next two years.  If they don't end up using it, it'll roll into next year anyway, so no real harm done.

The only thing that really needs to be considered with moves like this is making sure you only do this with players you are 100% certain will be on the roster throughout the entire season, without any chance of being cut, otherwise you just handed over money you wouldn't have paid otherwise.  Considering that Skrine has enough years to be a vested veteran, that would only really be a concern if they plan on cutting him in the next two days.

I do think it shows they have faith in Skrine. In general, I don't think you restructure a guy like this unless you expect him to finish out his contract. 

And yeah, they had no money. 

11 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Could this be a prelude for a trade or another signing? I mean, if the roster is set, then why restructure in a way that will make him harder to cut over the next two years?

General operating expenses. They could be looking to make a move, but more likely they want to have cash on hand in case they have to make a move midseason (injury, etc.). 

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

Makes perfect sense because of his age and performance.  Skrine & Carpenter are both young enough where

you expect them to live out their contracts with no decline in production

Yeah, well then he had better actually start performing then. He was awful last season.

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The only thing this move does is guarantee that he'll be on the team in 2017. They can cut him after that and save $6 million. He's only 27. He was a perfect candidate to restructure. 

Of course he was.  Unless you hate him and we're hoping he'd get cut sometime soon.  

Like now.  

Bowles likes him, hes too valuable, he's not going anywhere

Still can't believe we didn't cut Breno, funny how all offseason the talk was of cutting Breno & all of a sudden he has a bad back like forever! We could use that 5 million dollar savings.

Hell between Harris & Breno, that's 15 mill, could sign 2 good vet Olineman with that money.

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Still can't believe we didn't cut Breno, funny how all offseason the talk was of cutting Breno & all of a sudden he has a bad back like forever! We could use that 5 million dollar savings.

Hell between Harris & Breno, that's 15 mill, could sign 2 good vet Olineman with that money.

Breno should be cut, especially since he isn't playing any time soon, but what 2 good o-lineman are free agents right now?

49 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Breno should be cut, especially since he isn't playing any time soon, but what 2 good o-lineman are free agents right now?

I'm talking about next year. Jets could jump on 2 good free agents with that 15 mill & also draft a stud if ones staring them in the face. They have to get younger on this Oline! Wonder if any of the Cowboys Olineman are FAs next year? Macc needs to go poaching!

1 hour ago, slats said:

I do think it shows they have faith in Skrine. In general, I don't think you restructure a guy like this unless you expect him to finish out his contract. 

And yeah, they had no money. 

I would agree with that as well.  The cap hit to cut him next year probably makes him a pretty safe bet to be sticking around.  The last year of his deal would probably be the only time they could reconsider, just based on pure cap ramifications.  That said, I agree he's probably a pretty likely candidate to play out the deal.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

This smells of a change coming. We couldn't be over the CAP or there would have been implications. If it is just for wiggle room, they could do it at any time, why now?

Because the season started yesterday.  Prior to the start of the season, only the Top 51 contracts counted against the cap.  Now that the season started, all contracts are counted.  We needed to make a move last night to get under the cap when all 53, plus practice squad, IR and PUP are considered.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Based on this, it just barely puts them under the cap. They were over before.

I don't think Jason's numbers are correct.  He still has Kenbrell Thompkins listed on IR at about $1.7 milliion.  I am pretty sure Thompkins was released outright -- he is not listed on IR on our website.  This would put us closer to $2.0 million in space which is what Spotrac has us at.

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

All it really does it save money now and make him harder to cut in the future. I know they had to make room somehow, but I'm not sure this was the way to do it. Carpenter last season made sense. This one leaves me scratching my head.

Why? What gives any indication he will be cut next yr? CS obviously likes him. He's been around enough to know he's not going to stop giving effort. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In the slot?  Outside?  Link?

When the Jets signed him:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/free-agency-five-worst-signings/

Buster Skrine, CB, New York Jets

This one didn’t make sense at the time, but made even less sense after the Jets signed Antonio Cromartie for an even more lucrative deal just days later. Performance aside, they paid Skrine the 15th-most guaranteed money (four-year, $25m, $13m guaranteed) of any cornerback in the league to come in and be the Jets’ nickel corner. That’s bad business from the outset. When you look at Skrine’s past production it gets even worse.

The fifth-year cornerback was the weak link in the Browns’ secondary ever since he was thrust into the nickelback role in 2012. Skrine was promoted to starter in 2013 and turned in overall grades of 12.1 and -6.3 in the two subsequent seasons. He’s simply been a below average player over the course of his career, and even though he has played slot corner, he’s never stood out. His lowest passer rating against from the slot over the past three seasons is 95.5 and that came last year.

There are two other pretty glaring concerns with the deal, the first being Skrine’s limited stature at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds. Undersized corners around the league tend to have a suppressed market due to many teams being unwilling to sign them. The other issue is Skrine’s egregious penalty problem from a year ago. He committed 17 penalties, the most at the position in the PFF era. There are so many red flags in this deal that it is easily the worst one we’ve seen yet this offseason.

92nd out of 114 ranked last season.

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

When the Jets signed him:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/free-agency-five-worst-signings/

Buster Skrine, CB, New York Jets

This one didn’t make sense at the time, but made even less sense after the Jets signed Antonio Cromartie for an even more lucrative deal just days later. Performance aside, they paid Skrine the 15th-most guaranteed money (four-year, $25m, $13m guaranteed) of any cornerback in the league to come in and be the Jets’ nickel corner. That’s bad business from the outset. When you look at Skrine’s past production it gets even worse.

The fifth-year cornerback was the weak link in the Browns’ secondary ever since he was thrust into the nickelback role in 2012. Skrine was promoted to starter in 2013 and turned in overall grades of 12.1 and -6.3 in the two subsequent seasons. He’s simply been a below average player over the course of his career, and even though he has played slot corner, he’s never stood out. His lowest passer rating against from the slot over the past three seasons is 95.5 and that came last year.

There are two other pretty glaring concerns with the deal, the first being Skrine’s limited stature at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds. Undersized corners around the league tend to have a suppressed market due to many teams being unwilling to sign them. The other issue is Skrine’s egregious penalty problem from a year ago. He committed 17 penalties, the most at the position in the PFF era. There are so many red flags in this deal that it is easily the worst one we’ve seen yet this offseason.

92nd out of 114 ranked last season.

And he's played well as a Jet.  But you'll happily roll out stats from Cleveland the year before.  

I know it doesn't help but his play with the Jets has shot down the idea that he was one of the 5 worst FA signing in 2015

Reminds me of your review of why Pryor will never be a usable safety

Archived