Let’s Talk About Matt Forte

JetNation

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

First of all you can't worry about two weeks from now let alone next year. If he needs a blow I am sure he tells his coach and they get Bilal in there. I am concerned about the Jets depth at RB. But they have experience handling older RB's with Curtis Martin, Thomas Jones, LT etc.. And they worked out all right. I am sure Forte will as well.

Who, exactly, is the "they" in this scenario? Parcells? Vermin Edwards? The Genius? None of them are here any longer...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

JiF is right, why is it that they use RB's now like mules and then when they are worn down just send them out to pasture or shoot them. Why aren't they giving Powell at least 10 carries and 3-5 pass attempts a game? Is the plan to use Forte until he breaks down and THEN use Bilal? Running backs used to be treated like thoroughbreds not mules and they paid dividends-for years and years. This era of the passer is ruining this game-plus there are only like two or three passers out there worth anything anymore and 1 of them is suspended :>) <----happy Jimmy

I don't know....with the way the schedule is this year you have to play to win these first 6 games.  You put your best players out there and hope for the best.  My guess is if they come out of this 3-3 you'll start to see a lot more of Powell..

Very rarely do I get anything worth keeping from Phil Simms but one thing he did say that has had me thinking is that Forte reminded him of Marcus Allen with the way he kind of glided while running the ball also not seeming to take those gigantic hits that Ivory actually TRIED for. Look where he is the past few weeks, in hospital in severe pain from no one knows what.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know....with the way the schedule is this year you have to play to win these first 6 games.  You put your best players out there and hope for the best.  My guess is if they come out of this 3-3 you'll start to see a lot more of Powell..

That's a good point.  My only counter is that I think Powell is a little faster and more shifty and just adds another element to the offense.  He's just another weapon out there.  

It would just be unfortunate to see Forte breakdown or get injured from being overworked.  

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's a good point.  My only counter is that I think Powell is a little faster and more shifty and just adds another element to the offense.  He's just another weapon out there.  

It would just be unfortunate to see Forte breakdown or get injured from being overworked.  

If we are lucky enou to have a substantial second half lead (or unfortunately be getting blown out) during weeks 3-6 we can expect more Powell as well

13 minutes ago, Barton said:

Overrated by the coaching staff. He looks like he's lost a step or 2.

Still a good all around player but Powell needs at least 40% of the carries. 

Barton sighting....good to see you.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And when he's hurt later during our playoff push, with only Bilal, Troymaine Pope, Dominique Williams, and a street free agent as our RB group....what then?

Do what you have to do to win games, sure.  But we can accomplish that mission with a healthy mixture of Powell as well.  Bilal is a more than capable RB2. 

If the jets don't win games now there will be no late season playoff push. Forte is producing, so give him the ball. He's been proven to be one of the most durable and productive backs in the league for years now so go with the hot hand and worry about usage later

Forte's workload does concern me because history says it's tough to make that sustainable for 16 games, especially for a running back over 30.

But the toughest part of the schedule is now and they need every ounce of him.

They haven't even really gotten the screen pass working yet, if that gets going look out.

17 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

My thoughts are, he is who we thought he would be.  My concern is, can he do this all season long and what happens if we break our shiny new toy.  What are the implications if he gets cut next year?  It is terrible to think about but if we run him into the ground, what if there is nothing left for next year?

Bunch of people were concerned that he had nothing left at the beginning of the season. This guy is an elite athlete, he will be good for a couple more years and than when he does start to slow down he will still be better than any RB we have had since LT.

Powell is a good back, Forte is a great back. We have to win enough games over the next 4 games to stay in the hunt. Forte gives us the best chance to do that getting most of the touches.

If we can stretch a lead on someone you'll see more Powell. He'll get his rest when we start playing teams that have no chance keeping up with us on offense, i.e. Browns, Rams, ect.

Expect to see a lot of Forte vs KC, Seattle, Steelers, Cards. 

21 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Exactly, he made some good picks and bad picks like most scouts do. He was around for quite a few terrible ones though. Trading our first round pick for Doug Jolley and drafting a kicker in the 2nd round. The Robertson trade up. Mark Sanchez and Vernon Gholston at 6 and 5 in back to back years.

The Gholston and Sanchez picks set us back so many years. You can’t strikeout in the top 6 in back to back years. Bradway, Tannenbaum, Rex, Mangini, they are all responsible for that.

He didn't trade our 1st round pick for Doug Jolley. He traded our 1st round pick for Doug Jolley and a 2nd round pick. IIRC off the top of my head, that placed approximately a 3rd round trade value upon Jolley. Still a bad trade, but nowhere near a 1st round pick.

The Robertson trade up was stupid also because he was specifically targeting Robertson but didn't even know Robertson would be there when we picked. He made the trade, I think, on a Friday and the draft started on Saturday. So if you think Robertson was a bad pick, what if he was already taken and instead at #4 he took Charles Rogers. What's worse, the rumor (yes, just a rumor) at the time was that he traded up because NE leaked they liked Robertson and figured NE wouldn't have the ammunition to leapfrog us and trade up to #3. 

Sanchez was a crappy QB, despite his physical ability, but the trade up was actually a very good one in terms of value. However, Tannenbaum made that trade not Bradway. Gholston was one of the worst picks in NFL history, but he was alleged by "experts" to be the last of the 6 blue-chip prospects in that draft and he (theoretically) filled a need at OLB -- and again, NE who picked 7th had that same need and I'm sure it came up that if we didn't take Gholston then NE surely would and it would haunt us for years. It's entirely possible NE would have taken Gholston at #7 if we let him slip to them, but we'll never know. What hurts - in addition to the legendary awful pick - is that the pick surely would have carried significant trade value, perhaps in excess of the chart value, since he was the last remaining blue chip prospect. 

F***ing Jets.

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Powell is a very good player but he is not the receiving threat Forte is even at Forte's age.  I do like Powell better between the tackles, however.  For as well as Forte played last week, he still only averaged what....3.3 yards per carry?

He played the receiver role pretty well last year with 47 receptions, 8.3 per clip and 2 TD's.  He cant help if he doesnt get the volume Forte but acting like there is a huge difference is just silly talk.  

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He didn't trade our 1st round pick for Doug Jolley. He traded our 1st round pick for Doug Jolley and a 2nd round pick. IIRC off the top of my head, that placed approximately a 3rd round trade value upon Jolley. Still a bad trade, but nowhere near a 1st round pick.

The Robertson trade up was stupid also because he was specifically targeting Robertson but didn't even know Robertson would be there when we picked. He made the trade, I think, on a Friday and the draft started on Saturday. So if you think Robertson was a bad pick, what if he was already taken and instead at #4 he took Charles Rogers. What's worse, the rumor (yes, just a rumor) at the time was that he traded up because NE leaked they liked Robertson and figured NE wouldn't have the ammunition to leapfrog us and trade up to #3. 

Sanchez was a crappy QB, despite his physical ability, but the trade up was actually a very good one in terms of value. However, Tannenbaum made that trade not Bradway. Gholston was one of the worst picks in NFL history, but he was alleged by "experts" to be the last of the 6 blue-chip prospects in that draft and he (theoretically) filled a need at OLB -- and again, NE who picked 7th had that same need and I'm sure it came up that if we didn't take Gholston then NE surely would and it would haunt us for years. It's entirely possible NE would have taken Gholston at #7 if we let him slip to them, but we'll never know. What hurts - in addition to the legendary awful pick - is that the pick surely would have carried significant trade value, perhaps in excess of the chart value, since he was the last remaining blue chip prospect. 

F***ing Jets.

Good point on Jolley, I forgot the Jets got a 2nd rounder back as well. They ended that draft with their first two picks being Justin Miller and Mike Nugent in the second round. Brutal.

I know Tannenbaum made the trade up to get Sanchez, I'm just grouping Bradway in because he was on the staff. Sanchez was considered the second best QB in the draft, I had no problem with the decision to go get him. But the results are the results. Like you said, he was crap. Gholston on the other hand I remember there being a lot of people split on him. He was a freak athlete but people questioned his love of the game and pointed out his last college season being built on a few games, one specifically where he dominated Jake Long who scouts considered arguably the best player in the entire draft class. It least that's what I think I remember hearing about him.

Striking out in the top 6 in back to back years is one of the big reasons Tannenbaum got canned. Had Sanchez and Gholston played up to their draft slot value (Franchise QB and elite pass rusher) Mr T. might still employed by the Jets.

9 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Good point on Jolley, I forgot the Jets got a 2nd rounder back as well. They ended that draft with their first two picks being Justin Miller and Mike Nugent in the second round. Brutal.

I know Tannenbaum made the trade up to get Sanchez, I'm just grouping Bradway in because he was on the staff. Sanchez was considered the second best QB in the draft, I had no problem with the decision to go get him. But the results are the results. Like you said, he was crap. Gholston on the other hand I remember there being a lot of people split on him. He was a freak athlete but people questioned his love of the game and pointed out his last college season being built on a few games, one specifically where he dominated Jake Long who scouts considered arguably the best player in the entire draft class. It least that's what I think I remember hearing about him.

Striking out in the top 6 in back to back years is one of the big reasons Tannenbaum got canned. Had Sanchez and Gholston played up to their draft slot value (Franchise QB and elite pass rusher) Mr T. might still employed by the Jets.

they got more picks too which they used one to move up to take Kerry Rhodes.  That draft was a bad draft, the trade itself was not a bad trade.

This.  30+ touches a game is too much and not necessary.  Powell is very capable of doing everything Forte has done so far.

Matt Forte is a HOF running back. Bilal Powell is......Bilal Powell lol. I'm all for getting Forte more rest, but if Powell could do everything Forte could do there'd be no Forte in NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having some sort of pitch count on the soon-to-be 31 year old Matt Forte is just smart business. They have a good back in Powell backing him up, good enough that when he was hurt last year people pointed to his loss being the reason the Jets lost games. There's not going to be a lot of drop off in play if he's out there a third of the time. And if this team really thinks they're a playoff team, they're gonna need Forte at full speed in December when the QBs limitations come more into play. 

12 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Matt Forte is a HOF running back. Bilal Powell is......Bilal Powell lol. I'm all for getting Forte more rest, but if Powell could do everything Forte could do there'd be no Forte in NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair.  And I'm not arguing Powell and Forte are equals. But as of now, Forte is averaging 3.8 yards per carry with a long of 14 and has 7 receptions.  That's not unmatchable production.  Sorry.  It just isnt.  Maybe he's made some nice moves and fought for some extra yards that Powell couldnt have picked up...but acting like Forte is setting the world on fire and only a HOF bound RB could do what he's doing, is not an accurate representation of the truth. 

FWIW - Powell is averaging 8.6 per carry. 

And its not about that...it's about not running a 30 year old RB into the ground in the first quarter of the season.

Just now, AFJF said:

You gonna' be a regular this season?  Great to have you back.

a regular? prob not. there's so many ups n downs to a season that i just dont feel that need to jump into threads like i did when i was younger.

ill be around tho. this season could be interesting.  

Archived