All I have to look forward to the rest of this season is maybe I'll see Petty

jetscrazey

That's it.  This is not a playoff team people.  Not even a wild card team in a conference with KC and Cincy.  I've seen enough this season to know that.  Barring a miracle, they'll be 1-5 in 2 weeks.

The bottom line is Maccagnan did a decent job getting this team out of the basement by stacking it with veterans, but it's time to start aiming higher in order to beat the high-level teams.

To get to that upper echelon in the AFC, this team needs another rebuild.  Doing that means getting out of the Fitzpatrick comfort zone.  I say comfort zone because Fitz can beat the lesser D's and get you to the verge of the playoffs, but he'll never get us OVER that hump.  I also know what Geno Smith is, and it's not very good.

Enter Bryce Petty, the man with the special arm who can throw 40 yard line drive passes.  Right now, with Hackenberg having such a long way to go, this guy is our only hope to take the next step in the foreseeable future.

Maybe with Petty in, they'd actually be able to take advantage of good vertical WRs like Robbie Anderson and Devin Smith.  Fitz can't throw it to those types of guys, we know that.  I saw promising development from Petty in the preseason and they might as well get some of the growing pains out of the way this season so next year we can see what he can do with these talented WRs.

I repeat, this franchise is going nowhere with both Fitz and Geno, and I saw enough out of the Petty in the preseason to let him start going through the growing pains, especially in a year when in all likelihood they will be 1-5 soon.  Once Petty's shoulder is healed up, it's time for Bowles and Maccgagnan to make the unpleasant decision.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It will be nice to see Petty and we need a real qb but the Def is a huge problem.  

We were supposed to play great D and have Fitz manage these games.  But we can do that cause this def cant stop anyone.  Its bad.

no doubt, the secondary needs a rebuild.  The pass defense in simply unacceptable.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It will be nice to see Petty and we need a real qb but the Def is a huge problem.  

We were supposed to play great D and have Fitz manage these games.  But we can do that cause this def cant stop anyone.  Its bad.

I'd take my chances with this defense if we had an offense that could actually stay on the field or even give the defense a lead to work with occassionally.

The only good thing about seeing Petty start would be to force the FO to trade Richardson and whomever to get a top QB next year. This team is laughably bad: secondary is awful, the old linebackers are not surprisingly, old and slow, there's not any RB that scares the opposing defense, there's not any young WR outside of enunwa who's proven they should be a 1-3 type guy. There are some good young pieces, just not at any important position, mainly QB. I would rather be 100% wrong about Petty or Hack, I just feel that there's no franchise QB on this team. This team will drop the next three, but unfortunately they've got enough talent to win some games against the poor teams to take us out of the running for a top pick. Oh, and Bowles has shown me enough where his in-game adjustments, brutal clock management and decisions make me think he also has to go unless he turns it around the rest of the season.  

I knew coverage and the secondary was going to be the worst part of 2016 Jets.

i wasn't counting on it being as laughably bad as it - but it's weapons grade garbage. 

Mevis sucks worse than anticipated but the backfield problems are now clearly exacerbated by the absence of good scheming and coaching.

Fitz is not a good quarterback and when your receivers cant catch footballs it creates a deadly double negative which unlike math doesn't yield a positive.

Into week four and it's obvious - the only potential good thing to come out of the Jets 2016 season is the possible emergence of Petty or the even more unlikely reasonable play of Hack. The rest of this season will suck and probably suck to last year of Herm levels.  

I'm lucky - for once - to have a some additional meaningful baseball to watch.

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

The only good thing about seeing Petty start would be to force the FO to trade Richardson and whomever to get a top QB next year. This team is laughably bad: secondary is awful, the old linebackers are not surprisingly, old and slow, there's not any RB that scares the opposing defense, there's not any young WR outside of enunwa who's proven they should be a 1-3 type guy. There are some good young pieces, just not at any important position, mainly QB. I would rather be 100% wrong about Petty or Hack, I just feel that there's no franchise QB on this team. This team will drop the next three, but unfortunately they've got enough talent to win some games against the poor teams to take us out of the running for a top pick. Oh, and Bowles has shown me enough where his in-game adjustments, brutal clock management and decisions make me think he also has to go unless he turns it around the rest of the season.  

So if not Petty or Hack then who???  You seem to have a lot of criticism but no solutions.  As you say we're not getting a top 5 pick.  Why would you not want to at least see what you have in Petty?

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

So if not Petty or Hack then who???  You seem to have a lot of criticism but no solutions.  As you say we're not getting a top 5 pick.  Why would you not want to at least see what you have in Petty?

Why do I have to offer a solution in order to state the obvious? I do want to see Petty, so that our FO knows he's a career backup.  But because I'm such a generous individual, here's a solution. Win zero games from now until the end of the season. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Defense has been pretty alarming this season.   Not sure what is going on with the big plays but it seems like this team gives up more big plays than any team on the league.  

Bowles is supposed to be a defensive guru, we've used 1st rd picks on D for the like the past decade, and Revis + Wilkerson account for about 20% of the cap.   

the fact that the defense can't stop anyone is probably the biggest disappointment this season.   at this point you can stick a fork in Fitzpatrick....he's done.    

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Because we have a better option to hope for right now?

Oh, well, there is always that kid who was good in High School we have at #4, that's true.

I don't disagree that we're going to have to explore other options, including finding out if Petty gets his walking papers next offseason.

I'm just not under the illusion that that's something to look forward to. 

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lol. Jets fan base holding out for a 4th round baylor QB.

that isn't going to be ready for another month if at all..

yet there's a guy on the bench who had a the only perfect passer rating of 2014 the last time he started a game.

sigh.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't disagree that we're going to have to explore other options, including finding out if Petty gets his walking papers next offseason.

Hack and Petty are the only two QBs under contract for next season. I don't think Petty gets his walking papers for any reason short of criminal activity. 

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I wasn't a fan of the Petty pick when we made it but the kid has looked good in the preseason and aboslutley deserves a look with the starters if (when) this season spirals out of control.

Archived