49ers contemplating QB change

Integrity28

Christian Ponder - QB - 49ers

CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco reports there is "some support" in the 49ers' locker room for Christian Ponder to take over at quarterback.

It sounds like Colin Kaepernick isn't showing well on the practice field, and the 49ers' players are obviously and understandably souring on Blaine Gabbert, who has been horrific through five games. After Thursday night's loss to the Cardinals, coach Chip Kelly was noncommittal on sticking with Gabbert under center. "Ponder is the best option for quarterback on the roster," said one locker-room source. Another player "questioned Kaepernick's commitment" to football as he pursues civil-right ventures. One source told Maiocco that Ponder has been "more consistent" than Kaepernick in practices.

So Kaep couldn't beat Gabbert, and now may lose out to Ponder. I honestly didn't realize either of those guys was in the league still... I guess this means we can trade for Kaep now, right? Right?

49ers close to restructuring Kaep...aka taking away next years injury guarantee probably so that they can start him without worrying about being on the hook in case of injury. Kaep knows this is the only way he gets to play this year and not sit out like RG3 last year. 

59 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I get the impression Kaep basically can't play at all since becoming vegan -- he's lost so much muscle mass that he doesn't have the athleticism or strength he used to and he's never been particularly adept at reading defenses. I don't think he's long for the league.

I don't think it has anything to do with him becoming vegan. I think it has everything to do with him not being good at playing the QB position, and now that teams have tape on him, they can game plan for his terribleness.

56 minutes ago, King P said:

Kaep being punished for reasons outside of football.

No way Ponder should be starting over him

Nope.

Colin Kaepernick - QB - 49ers

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Colin Kaepernick will be the 49ers' starting quarterback in Week 6 at Buffalo.

Bleacher Report seems to be a tea-leaving outlet when it comes to NFL reporting, but this is certainly the way the leaves are blowing. The 49ers are working on a new two-year contract with Kaepernick that removes the injury guarantees from his deal, which suggests he will be on the field very soon. Kaepernick has reportedly been outplayed by Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder in practice, so the 49ers are apparently hoping he is more of a "gamer" than practice quarterback. He won't be worth streamer consideration against a so-far rejuvenated Bills defense at The Ralph. Forward thinkers may want to pick up Buffalo's fantasy D/ST ahead of Week 6.

Looks like is a financial thing, not a politics or race thing. 

Oh well. 

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with him becoming vegan. I think it has everything to do with him not being good at playing the QB position, and now that teams have tape on him, they can game plan for his terribleness.

I'm saying while he has already been exposed for not being good, he's lost significant muscle mass to the point where he doesn't even have his physical gifts.

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm saying while he has already been exposed for not being good, he's lost significant muscle mass to the point where he doesn't even have his physical gifts.

I'm saying that's likely got nothing to do with it. It's got more to do with him never having been good at being a QB, and having only found success being an athlete, but the league is full of people whose job it is to out-athlete him and out coach his limitations.

Only way he's losing muscle mass from being vegan, is if he's eating like crap. Not because he's not eating meat. 

Doesn't matter though, he sucks, and he's going to start and it's going to be a spectacle. So, enjoy it.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I'm saying that's likely got nothing to do with it. It's got more to do with him never having been good at being a QB, and having only found success being an athlete, but the league is full of people whose job it is to out-athlete him and out coach his limitations.

Only way he's losing muscle mass from being vegan, is if he's eating like crap. Not because he's not eating meat. 

Doesn't matter though, he sucks, and he's going to start and it's going to be a spectacle. So, enjoy it.

What Chip Kelly and Kaepernick himself have said disputes that, but sure, I'm excited to see him stink the joint up.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

What Chip Kelly and Kaepernick himself have said disputes that, but sure, I'm excited to see him stink the joint up.

Disputes that he's a terrible QB? Or that he lost muscle mass? I just said, if he did, it's not because he's eating vegan, it's because he's eating vegan the wrong way for an athlete. 

I don't care though. I'm  just excited that there are still a couple teams more embarrassing than the Jets.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

So Kaep couldn't beat Gabbert, and now may lose out to Ponder. I honestly didn't realize either of those guys was in the league still... I guess this means we can trade for Kaep now, right? Right?

No, this just means there are HCs that are willing to accept their mistakes, unlike our HC. 

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't get it. Kaep is a franchise QB, according to this site's resident Jerry's kid....

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I get the impression Kaep basically can't play at all since becoming vegan -- he's lost so much muscle mass that he doesn't have the athleticism or strength he used to and he's never been particularly adept at reading defenses. I don't think he's long for the league.

oh and that hair

5 hours ago, King P said:

Kaep being punished for reasons outside of football.

No way Ponder should be starting over him

Kaep being punished for sucking at football. Chip Kelly, like all NFL coaches, play the best players available. They don't care if they killed dogs for fun, raped a women, beat their wife. All they care about is getting Wins. Kaep just sucks because he doesn't care anymore. 

33 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Kaep being punished for sucking at football. Chip Kelly, like all NFL coaches, play the best players available. They don't care if they killed dogs for fun, raped a women, beat their wife. All they care about is getting Wins. Kaep just sucks because he doesn't care anymore. 

If they really cared about W's, Kaep should have been starting.

Kaep has never been worse than Gabbert and Ponder, 2 of the biggest busts in the past 5 years.

3 hours ago, King P said:

If they really cared about W's, Kaep should have been starting.

Kaep has never been worse than Gabbert and Ponder, 2 of the biggest busts in the past 5 years.

So why was he benched for Gabbert last year?

11 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Like when you say I'm wrong and you're not? You're full of sh*t and probably more than Fitz. 

I am not concerned with right/wrong. I am just pointing out bad logic, which you in-turn spin into some sort of defense of Fitz, so it's easy for you to yell your canned rebuttals. 

I have no idea what you were trying to say in last sentence. Don't care. LOL

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I am not concerned with right/wrong. I am just pointing out bad logic, which you in-turn spin into some sort of defense of Fitz, so it's easy for you to yell your canned rebuttals. 

I have no idea what you were trying to say in last sentence. Don't care. LOL

Difference of opinion. You fail to recognize that and call it bad logic when indeed your logic is what has holes in it. 

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, Breer reporting that the 49ers are afraid to send Kaepernick out there because he's only 218 pounds right now and they don't want to trigger his injury guarantees. Vegans are a scourge.

Poor bastard.  Maybe Black Lives Matter can convince him to eat a cheeseburger.

Archived