Jim Schwartz

Smashmouth

Just now, T0mShane said:

As with Rex, I don't think you can fix Schwartz. What makes them effective as DC's is their macho meathead nonsense, which doesn't carry over well into the adult HC role. 

Could very well be the case, but I think somebody is going to look at his resume over the past few seasons and give him a shot.  Hell, if the Eagles defense keeps playing at this level, he probably gets a HC gig this off-season.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As with Rex, I don't think you can fix Schwartz. What makes them effective as DC's is their macho meathead nonsense, which doesn't carry over well into the adult HC role. 

The Tuna being one of the exceptions.. Schwartz was definitly a fiesty HC..LOL

19 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Bowles is in no danger of losing this job this year-unless there's something else very abd going on at Florham Park we don't know. And that seems unlikely; Bowles appears to be a good if overmatched guy. 

And would expect with McCagnan's pedigree he's good for 5 years. Plus Johnson never really fires front office people, jus gives them a different office. And suspect if he had his choice, Rex Ryan would be coach for life. 

There is something to be said for continuity. Bowles's mistakes are concerning because looks like he hasn't learned anything.  But 2 years, including a 10 win season, is not on it's face a firing-worthy resume. 

I want Bowles to succeed but the already apparent weaknesses in his skill set are eerily reminiscent of every bad coach we've ever had and fans have a right to have an itchy trigger finger over the panic button, imo. Game management, blind loyalty to washed-up vets, a disinterest or inability to develop young talent, and a seeming refusal to adapt to the prior week's/month's/season's glaring failures have all been apparent in various degrees. He's 20 games in now and needs to demonstrate--at least--an awareness of these issues. He's about two in-denial post-loss press conferences away from facing the wrath of the New York media establishment, and I don't think he or Macc are ready for it.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How many more defensive coordinators does Johnson hire before he figures out that's a bad idea. He must buy into the tough guy nonsense quite stupidly every time.Heck, interviewees probably get clued in by their agent; you're a tough guy!  "We're gonna beat'em up, Mr. Johnson.We're gonna be the toughest team in the NFL!". Right.  

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I want Bowles to succeed but the already apparent weaknesses in his skill set are eerily reminiscent of every bad coach we've ever had that fans have a right to have an itchy trigger finger over the panic button, imo. Game management, blind loyalty to washed-up vets, a disinterest or inability to develop young talent, and a seeming refusal to adapt to the prior week's/month's/season's glaring failures have all been apparent in various degrees. He's 20 games in now and needs to demonstrate--at least--an awareness of these issues. He's about two in-denial post-loss press conferences away from facing the wrath of the New York media establishment, and I don't think he or Macc are ready for it.

Mac doesn't meet the media on a daily basis like Bubba Gump Bowles and he hates press conferences..:angry:

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Could very well be the case, but I think somebody is going to look at his resume over the past few seasons and give him a shot.  Hell, if the Eagles defense keeps playing at this level, he probably gets a HC gig this off-season.

The caveat I give Schwartz is the same as I give Mangini: nobody wins with the Lions or Browns. Those are graveyard jobs. Still, Schwartz's Lions reign was a disaster. The most out of control team in the league.

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

How many more defensive coordinators does Johnson hire before he figures out that's a bad idea. He must buy into the tough guy nonsense quite stupidly every time.Heck, interviewees probably get clued in by their agent; you're a tough guy!  "We're gonna beat'em up, Mr. Johnson.We're gonna be the toughest team in the NFL!". Right.  

I think Johnson hires supposed tough guys because he doesn't know what toughness looks like and he relies on old Charles Bronson movies for reference. Whenever you hear him speak, it becomes ever more obvious that he grew up inside a hermetically sealed bubble of Caucasian decadence.

Just now, T0mShane said:

The caveat I give Schwartz is the same as I give Mangini: nobody wins with the Lions or Browns. Those are graveyard jobs. Still, Schwartz's Lions reign was a disaster. The most out of control team in the league.

Actually the old Browns are the 2 time Bowl winning Ravens..And while the Lions haven't made a NFCCG since 1991 at least they made it..Mangini never won a playoff game with a HOF QB or Chad does he have pictures of you and a goat or something??

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Actually the old Browns are the 2 time Bowl winning Ravens..And while the Lions haven't made a NFCCG since 1991 at least they made it..Mangini never won a playoff game with a HOF QB or Chad does he have pictures of you and a goat or something??

The old Browns haven't won anything since QBs were wearing single-bar face masks.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The old Browns haven't won anything since QBs were wearing single-bar face masks.

What old Browns?? That team move to Baltimore like I said.. The new Browns that started in 1999 have only had 2 winning seasons which sucks I agree.. I just don't get the Mangini love that some of you have.. 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The "carry me off the field" thing he orchestrated is the biggest strike against him.  Could any human possibly have a bigger ego?  That kind of stuff is borderline insane.

10 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

What old Browns?? That team move to Baltimore like I said.. The new Browns that started in 1999 have only had 2 winning seasons which sucks I agree.. I just don't get the Mangini love that some of you have.. 

Mangini had two things I liked: 1. He's clearly smart and 2. Had no patience for foolishness. I think those are two nice foundational qualities in a head coach. Obviously, he wasn't ready to be a head coach when we hired him, and rolling over on Belichick has gotten him blackballed, but I didn't think he got a fair shake here. 

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The "carry me off the field" thing he orchestrated is the biggest strike against him.  Could any human possibly have a bigger ego?  That kind of stuff is borderline insane.

Yeah, and that's a foundational thing, too. All coaches are arrogant, but the good ones aren't fame-seeking. Once a coach tries to be a celebrity, it's over for him.

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'd have no problem with a guy like Schwartz being the Jets next HC.

People always say they "dont' want a re-tread", but look at the past 25 or so SB winners and the overwhelming majority are re-treads who had to fail elsewhere before making changes.

It's why Mangini failed in Cleveland and Rex in Buffalo.  Both were hired so quickly after being fired that they saw no reason to adjust.  No time for reflection/humility.  An immediate hiring just told them that they ween't wrong for what they did, so no need to make any changes.

I hate to say it, but I think Josh McDaniel is going to be much better when he gets another shot.

This! But I doubt he's go within the same division as Bellicheat. 

You "Can't Cheat A Cheater"!!!

Can we try not to kill our coach 20 games into his career?

We've tried cycling through coaches every 3 years for the past 20 years, perhaps we can stick with a HC and a GM who actually appear to me to be competent.  Can we try it just once before we eat and sh*t these guys out?

We have had some of the worst QB play in the history of the NFL, how is Bowles supposed to fix that?  Sure he can change QB's but starting Geno Smith isn't exactly going to inspire the lockerroom.  We are one FG away from being 2-2 had we beat the Bengals which we should have.  I predicted that that loss was actually devastating for us because the shoulda-won games like that change the entire season.  Mac is still a top shelf GM to me and Bowles has potential but godamn our QB is destroying our season and is bringing about conversations like these.  Bowles has been shaky but Bill Walsh couldn't coach this roster to a Superbowl.  Let's just give our coach a chance.

I'm not calling for Bowles to be fired. BUT, he really needs to show us more than he has this seasons. He's managed to combine the worst of Rex Ryan--defenses that don't cause turnovers and give up big plays--with an outward stoicism that doesn't seem to motivate players.

22 minutes ago, David Harris said:

We have had some of the worst QB play in the history of the NFL, how is Bowles supposed to fix that?

I quoted 2 things you said. You are right on not killing our coach 20 games into his career. He still has credit in my eyes until end of this season. I want to see some improvement from him in terms of game management, being able to change game plan during the game, managing the clock properly etc. But again he still has credit in my eyes until end of this season. 

On the other hand, the reason I am sour on Bowles is not due to bad QB play. he came here due to his pedigree in defense. But this defense isn't up to par so far and people are questioning what he brings to the team if he isn't making this defense one of the better defenses in the league. And they are right in doing so. Why can't we generate turnovers in defense? Why can't we learn how to take the biggest playmakers out of their game and get burnt consistently by #1 WR of opposing team most of the time? Where is the pass rush with all these great DLineman? I can go on and go on but you get the gist right?

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

We've tried cycling through coaches every 3 years for the past 20 years, perhaps we can stick with a HC and a GM who actually appear to me to be competent.  Can we try it just once before we eat and sh*t these guys out?

We have had some of the worst QB play in the history of the NFL, how is Bowles supposed to fix that?  Sure he can change QB's but starting Geno Smith isn't exactly going to inspire the lockerroom.  We are one FG away from being 2-2 had we beat the Bengals which we should have.  I predicted that that loss was actually devastating for us because the shoulda-won games like that change the entire season.  Mac is still a top shelf GM to me and Bowles has potential but godamn our QB is destroying our season and is bringing about conversations like these.  Bowles has been shaky but Bill Walsh couldn't coach this roster to a Superbowl.  Let's just give our coach a chance.

problem with yoir argument is that our QB play is poor in a good amount DUE to contunuously hiring defensive head coaches

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:17 AM, Charlie Brown said:

Yea let's fire the HC after two years merry go round. 

Jets fans in general couldn't run a hot dog stand.  

Good Grief!!!!

I would not be calling for Bowles to get fired if I didn't see him making the same mistakes over and over. I also see the players whom this coaching staff is responsible for teaching making the same mistakes over and over. Clock management and game management stinks and we've seen that numerous times going in at half time with 3 time outs when we could have stopped the clock and had at least some time to move the ball into field goal range. Sorry but you can't keep leaving points on the field or attempts at getting some points.

How many times do we have to come out flat ?? Even the players have eluded to coming out flat and that's not a good thing when players are saying it. This team is wildly inconsistent and I'm putting that on the coaching staff.

Kacy Rogers Stinks. Gailey is becoming very predictable and he does not use his RB's to their strengths at all. He had 2 young promising WR's that should be getting some time in the game (first 2 weeks) Yet they sat on the bench while our 30+ year old WR's ran 70 + snaps. It was very disturbing when Fitz said he had not thrown to Robbie Anderson in practice and you could see in game they were not on the same page at times Fitz was even over throwing the kid trying to compensate for his speed.

This team is once again poorly coached we blitz too much and our safeties seem too box oriented rather than coverage oriented which gets them burned. Antonio Allen was a very promising player his first time around here but he has not been in coverage much even though he's probably the best coverage safety on this football team.

When you explain to me how Bowles has Improved in any of these areas I will gladly listen and respect your opinion.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:23 AM, Integrity28 said:

Schwartz is Wade Phillips. Would love to have him as DC.

I would too but he's not going to leave one team as a DC to go to another team as a DC ... I would expect he wants another shot at HC before that happens. Hes a smart guy Im sure he has learned from his first gig and keep in mind Blow's had a first gig in Miami what has he learned ?

Guys If I see a turn around with this team in the coming weeks we can revisit this then ...until that time Bowles is just not doing a good job

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I want Bowles to succeed but the already apparent weaknesses in his skill set are eerily reminiscent of every bad coach we've ever had and fans have a right to have an itchy trigger finger over the panic button, imo. Game management, blind loyalty to washed-up vets, a disinterest or inability to develop young talent, and a seeming refusal to adapt to the prior week's/month's/season's glaring failures have all been apparent in various degrees. He's 20 games in now and needs to demonstrate--at least--an awareness of these issues. He's about two in-denial post-loss press conferences away from facing the wrath of the New York media establishment, and I don't think he or Macc are ready for it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.. I like Macc but Bowles has shown me nothing up to this point. And his pressure blitzing defense stinks.

Clock Management is not rocket science and making the same mistakes 20 games in is totally inexcusable. If the guy wants to concentrate on the in game issues he has a head set for a reason where assistants and coordinators can remind him of the clock situation standing there like a dope with 1:18 on the clock and third and long with 3 timeouts is beyond ridiculous this is sh*t you should know from ******* HS football for Christs sake. What makes a head coach forget such simple game management issues ? things they have see ntheir whole life ? What makes a coach get burned in one on one situations (AJ Green) over and over and over yet not design a simple double team or even a triple team since the Bengals had nothing else to worry about at the WR position ? This is not sh*t a coach should be learning this is sh*t a coach should know at this stage in his career, Having problems adjusting due to personnel problems is understandable not knowing the fcuking basics is inexcusable.

On 10/8/2016 at 6:52 AM, Smashmouth said:

I would love to see this guy be our head coach next year. He has fire and the last 2 DC jobs he's had he's taken bad defenses and turned them into number 1 in one year with the same personnel. His defense shut down the Steelers in a 34-3 win. I'm positive this guy will hold players accountable and I'm pretty sure he wont ignore the offense since his offenses did pretty good in Detroit. What he did in Buffalo was fantastic as well before Fat ass Rex took over and turned the best defense in the NFL into pure horse sh*t.

I don't think the Jets should waste another year on Todd Bowles the guy is obviously in over his head this team is grossly under achieving and yet we see nothing in the way of an adjustment.

He's making the same mistakes he made last year with poor clock management poor use of timeouts in general. His defense looks totally confused and his players are playing slow which tells me he's probably putting too much on them to adjust on the fly rather then just put them in position to make plays. This team still does not create turnovers and does nothing to take out the other teams main player. See AJ Green/Sammy Watkins/Travis Kelce/ the list goes on.

I have seen enough of Todd Bowles the guy just makes too many mistakes and his team is a direct reflection of him. I'm not sure how to explain our team constantly coming our flat in big games.

I hope if this debacle continues, that Maccagnan makes a change 2 years is plenty of time to evaluate a HC especially with as talented a roster as we have.

Guess you missed how lost he was as a HC in Detroit? 

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

Well said.

Does he do everything right? No, who does after 20 games.  We're back to instant gratification.  Don't get the wins when you want them, come up with every cliche a incompetent HC might display and accuse the HC of making those cliche mistakes.  20 times he's messed up clock management? Lol, ok.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Guess you missed how lost he was as a HC in Detroit? 

Ummmmmm this. 

Only Jets fans would be clamoring for this guy after the way he performed as a HC. 

And yes while some HCs do better the second time around they are in the minority as to winning championships. 

18 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmmm this. 

Only Jets fans would be clamoring for this guy after the way he performed as a HC. 

And yes while some HCs do better the second time around they are in the minority as to winning championships. 

Problem is just about every HC makes mistakes.  It's easy to call out a mistake after the game is over.  The other part is we see our HCs mistakes every week.  Other HCs, unless it's a game changing mistake that makes SportsCenter we don't see them. 

15 hours ago, David Harris said:

Mac is still a top shelf GM to me and Bowles has potential but godamn our QB is destroying our season and is bringing about conversations like these. 

LOL. Mac is 2 years in as GM and already he's a top shelf GM. LOL. His free agency acquisitions have been mostly a flop. He has spent millions on an underperforming secondary. The Revis and Harris contracts were just plain idiotic.  Overall, his draft picks suck. And don't mention Big Cat. Hard to swing and miss on a #6 pick. He's made some decent moves but has also made horrendous decisions which have curtailed their progress. 4 QB's. Who has 4 qb's? Why spend a #2 pick on Whackenberg when he could have easily been had in round 4 or 5. Then he takes a shrimp LB with #1 pick. The better move would have been to trade up and fortify a weak OL.  Not impressed really. If not for Fitz, Nac would have been voted worst GM instead of best Exec of year. And that Fitz signing was a blessing in disguise.

25 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmmm this. 

Yep sure glad Belicheck left the Jets to go to the Pats. We sure got lucky there!

29 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmmm this. 

say what you will about Schwartz stint in Detroit a team that had holes all over the defense and a horrible O-Line and crappy RB's. Can't win much in the NFL if your QB is getting killed and your RB's stink.

Archived