What can Macc do with the Revis contract?

Jetster

Eat it in 2017.  Move on.  Enuf with this guy already.  Same applies for every single player on the 2016 roster.  If you cannot play winning caliber NFL football, get out. I'm watching the Monday nite game: so how is it the Eagles can be decimated 2 years ago by some nutjob coach and now look like they will be tied with Cowboys in the NFC East at 5-2?   Why is it always us who have to accept years of rebuilding, year in year out?   Oh, I know.

woodie.

52 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I jersey exchange seems to be common practice around the NFL these days,sadly you have chosen to direct your hate towards Revis that used to spewed on Geno Smith.

Hard to believe you preach rant and rave about fans in ticket threads and you yourself take part in nonsense like this.

If you've followed me all season I've hated on Smith and Revis equally.

Because they are both so deserving.  Geno for costing us years of wasted investment time and Revis for playing so poorly.  Both of them score horribly on leadership and selfishness too.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you've followed me all season I've hated on Smith and Revis equally.

Because they are both so deserving.  Geno for costing us years of wasted investment time and Revis for playing so poorly.  Both of them score horribly on leadership and selfishness too.

SAR I

The entire defense has been playing poorly all season.

Without a legitimate pass rush any secondary in the NFL is exposed.

Bowles and Rodgers are the poor investments here neither knows how to coach a defense from the looks of things they allowed 0-8 Cleveland to hang with us all damn day.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The entire defense has been playing poorly all season.

Without a legitimate pass rush any secondary in the NFL is exposed.

Bowles and Rodgers are the poor investments here neither knows how to coach a defense from the looks of things they allowed 0-8 Cleveland to hang with us all damn day.

Revis is done, you cannot question this.  You could make a case, however thin, that Geno Smith deserved another look for various reasons.  We've seen enough of Revis to know that he is fat, lazy, collecting a paycheck, mailing it in, insert-cliche-here.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Revis is done, you cannot question this.  You could make a case, however thin, that Geno Smith deserved another look for various reasons.  We've seen enough of Revis to know that he is fat, lazy, collecting a paycheck, mailing it in, insert-cliche-here.

SAR I

Revis is not done he's the best CB on the roster.

The defensive coordinator is done design a defense with your strengths and weaknesses in mind.

If Revis agreed to restructure and play for $8 million next year I'd keep him and see how he does playing safety.  We will have $6 million cap hit cutting him anyway.  I'd even try him toward the end of the season at safety to see how he does and if it is worth even considering. 

It's sad seeing how much he has declined. 

1 minute ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

If Revis agreed to restructure and play for $8 million next year I'd keep him and see how he does playing safety.  We will have $6 million cap hit cutting him anyway.  I'd even try him toward the end of the season at safety to see how he does and if it is worth even considering. 

His decline has a lot to do with the defensive schemes and the way they are using him this season he's 1 on 1 most of the times without help and without a pass rush any CB would be getting exposed and toasted.

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Revis is not done he's the best CB on the roster.

The defensive coordinator is done design a defense with your strengths and weaknesses in mind.

He's done.  Not only is he consistently getting lit up over the top but he astonishingly quits on half the plays trying to avoid injury like multi-millionaires worth $30 million dollars stringing out a contract.  He shows no emotion, he doesn't fire up the secondary, he doesn't inspire a defense that is bereft of leadership.  He's awful.

You need to face facts and lose the sentimentality.  Fans like you hold onto the likes of Testaverde, Pennington, Martin, and Revis too long, it's as if you think they are owed a few sub-par years to make up for all the glory they once promised.  Nonsense.  Revis cost us the Bengals game, admitted he wasn't ready for opening day.  Would have cost us the Buffalo game if not for Fitzpatrick's heroics too.

SAR I

I'm just really sad about Revis's decline.  Everyone gets old but his lack of effort is really tarnishing my image of him.

Hes our most iconic player second to Joe Namath and he is just mailing it in.  Mehta has been crucifying his effort in tackling and rightfully so.  He's just cashing checks, which he's had many of but he used to give an honest effort.  

9 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I'm just really sad about Revis's decline.  Everyone gets old but his lack of effort is really tarnishing my image of him.

Hes our most iconic player second to Joe Namath and he is just mailing it in.  Mehta has been crucifying his effort in tackling and rightfully so.  He's just cashing checks, which he's had many of but he used to give an honest effort.  

+1

SAR I

4 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Not a restructuring, though. That just rearranges the money. They need him to take a significant pay cut. But everything in his history shows that he'll never take one. Ever. 

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

+1

SAR I

Wow! That is an incredibly damning effort! 17 million for that? How does Bowles not see that when they look at the film? Parcells would never put up with that kind of effort without tweaking him in the next practice. Is Bowles afraid to hurt Revis feelings?

That type of effort deserves a benching, f*ck him! Embarrass him to play if you have too. Bench him & be honest when the media asks about it, " he has been benched for lack of effort". I'm afraid that the veterans, Mangold, Marshall, Decker, Revis are running this team! Not Bowles. 

Unfortunately Revis, as good as he was in 2009-2010 (maybe best ever) doesn't come close to the player Charles Woodson was going from CB to safety because Woodson had 4 times the heart & love for the game, his teammates, and he never quit like Revis. Honestly have lost all respect for Revis. He's not a NY Jet, he's a mercenary playing for Revis Inc.

12 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Move him to FS.

The problems with Revis are, in order, he doesn't care, he's conspicuously dogging it to cover for his diminished ability, and said diminished ability. A position change doesn't fix any of these things.

12 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Guarantee him some money for year after next and stretch the cap hit making him uncuttable for 2 years. We'all be able to access his transition to free safety and make room for other signings plus we get to keep Revis in green avoiding a PR/ egg on face thing.

Sweet merciful crap no.

12 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

The thing about moving Revis to safety is it's best done in a 2-high scheme.  Bowles/Rodgers tend to run a single-high more often and I don't know if that fits Revis's skill set.

lol words 

We've already gone through an influx of younger guys at LB and WR especially, and DL is not a talent issue. Next year needs to be about OL and DB. Draft the hell out of those positions, maybe pick up a cheaper FA or two, and move on from the older guys (Mangold, Clady, Giacomini, Revis, Gilchrist, possibly Skrine).

10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The same guy who was recently quoted as he was too fat in camp and also that his body is failing him?

Yeah. it beats keeping him on that "island" if he can in fact make the transition. everything that people are crying about and quoting isn't the actual problem. If Revis wrist is bad then that would be the biggest problem since he isn't able to jam at the LOS...which is how he made his bread and butter. I haven't seen Revis jam this entire season. However, he could be able to tackle....and if he can then putting him at FS isn't a bad idea. we're paying him anyway, might as well maximize his talent if so. it beats allowing him to be burnt because he can't jam at the line. 

Him being fat during camp doesn't mean anything but being quotable, especially if that's not the case today.

9 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

He avoids contact at all costs, how is he going to play safety

IMO that's the bottom line as far as S goes.  Revis used to be a very good tackler.  That was part of his being a great player.  He received a severe concussion last season.  Think he missed two games.  When he returned he just wasn't even close to the same player.

Revis is a very smart guy.  He is also a mercenary,  who has made a LOT of money in his career.  I don't think it's in his plans to be extremely rich, and need GPS to find the bathroom.

He plans on milking this contract for every penny he can with out putting himself at risk.  It's his nature.  Time to cut bait, and put him in the ring of honor.

I think we are 'stuck' with Revis' contract for another year. The Jets can cut or trade him in the offseason but they will take on a lot of dead money. After next season his salary drops and they can cut him or trade him with little to no dead money. So I think unless hell freezes over and Revis simply takes a pay cut, this is the only feasible option. 

Having said that, the investment in the secondary by Macc and their lack of production only bothers me b/c of the way the players are being used/coached.

Why is Revis giving WRs a 10 yard cushion? I know he lost a step and may be worried about being burned deep but cant' he get some safety help once is a while? 

Why is Skrine not playing in the slot? He's obviously over-matched by bigger WRs on the outside. He can also be utilized as an effective blitzer from the slot. Like last year. 

Why does Burris get so little playing time? I know he's a rookie but he's a prototypical man-press CB with good speed and size/length. He is well suited to play outside. Why not put him out there, he's played well when given opportunities (while the rest of the secondary has looked horrendous). 

Every time Pryor is asked to cover, he gets burned. Every time he is asked for run support, he lays the wood. Why can't we sub A.Allen into the coverage role? Have Pryor out there less but make him a more effective player.  

None of this makes sense to me. But what do I know. 

Archived