Take the Training Wheels Off, Bryce Petty Wants to ‘Sling It’

Ken Schroy

petty should start the rest of the year.  and if they don't want to then throw hackenberg in there.  this team is not going anywhere this season.  oh they can hope a 9-7 season gets into the playoffs but that's iffy at best and they just aren't playing well enough to even think they can run the table.  the sure thing is they need to find out what they have for next season.  and if petty does well, they still have the option of getting someone else or trading him.  if he bombs then they have to get someone else.  this would apply to hackenberg too.  the jets seem to think they can keep sitting these guys without knowing.  yeah hack has bad mechanics but what do they have to do with making good filed decisions?

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

To the point you are? No, I don't. 

Yeah, if I were an NFL QB and I just made my first start, I wouldnt be thinking about my performance or my future at all.  Nah, it would be no big deal because I've got my cow boy boats on relaxing.  I'll worry about it next week.  :rolleyes:

I do generally agree with the concept that Bowles should just man up and make a decision, and that decision not being to start Fitz again.  However, if Petty is so fragile-minded that this situation is actually going to impact his future, then we're screwed anyway.  That would be proof enough that he doesn't have what it takes.  He certainly doesn't have to like the situation at all, but this cannot be the slightest degree of excuse for anything that he does on the field.

31 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Didn't he admit to checking down too often against the Rams? If he wants to sling it then he needs to believe in himself and actually sling it, not check down.

Hard to do that if your coaching staff is giving the impression that you'll get the hook if you make too many mistakes. This is Sanchez all over again, they may as well have had him wear the traffic light bracelet in the game vs. the Rams. 

If we are going to use the rest of the season to evaluate Bryce, then absolutely don't use conservative play calling. Let him play in a style of offense that is of a modern day, throwing offense. 

He throws a nice ball, we need to play a more attacking style. Lets see if he can do it.

FLORHAM PARK >> Bryce Petty was heading home to Texas a few days after the biggest game of his young NFL career to relax a little.

With the Jets entering into their bye-week break, the second-year quarterback had his game plan prepared.

"Put the cowboy boots on, hang out with Mom and Dad for a little bit, so it'll be good," a smiling Petty said Tuesday after the team's final practice until next week. "Kind of get your mind away from things, regroup and be ready to rock and roll when we get back."

"I'm here to play football," Petty said. "Again, for me, it's control what you can control. And I've said it before and I'll say it again: To be a good teammate, I have to be a better quarterback than I was yesterday, today. That part doesn't change (despite) whatever is going on."

With the Jets struggling to a 3-7 mark and their playoff prospects fading, many fans and media think Bowles should stick with Petty to see if last year's fourth-round pick out of Baylor could be the quarterback of the future.

Bowles, however, is sticking to his philosophy of wanting to play whoever gives the Jets the best chance to win now. If the coach decides that it's Fitzpatrick, that means Petty will go back to the sideline and wait for his next opportunity.

"Again, those are hypotheticals," Petty said. "I try not to deal with that. Control what I can control. Being anxious, the anxiety is not something that I like to feel.

"You carry on about your business and as soon as you hear something, then you go to bat. Other than that, you try not to think about it."

"Physically, obviously, all the rehab and stuff like that, that was probably the only part that he missed and then just being in our huddle, hearing me talk to him and the play calls.

"But as far as classroom, he was there every day, so, he knew exactly what was going on."

For now, Petty will get in some family time, but work won't be too far from his mind.

"It's hard to get away from it," he said. "I love it. Typically, when I watch games, it's implementing our plays into things and how that will work. It's hard to get away from football. It's a good thing."

http://www.trentonian.com/sports/20161115/jets-bryce-petty-ready-for-whatever-comes-next-for-him-after-bye

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Wait, hold a second???  Bowles hasnt named Petty the starter the rest of the way?  There is actually a decision to be made during the bye week? Why? Why? Why?

OMG - I hate this ******* team so much.  I really want to crow hop Todd Bowles right in his stupid emotionless face. 

lol

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He hasn't made a decision because they do NOT see Petty as the future...Yes, we want to see him, but the coaching staff has seen him every day for the past two years.  

By virtually everything they've done and said - it's pretty clear to me that they KNOW he's not the future...and they're not ready to play Hack.  If that's the case then they're better served going with the player that gives them the better chance to win.  

So they see Ryan Fitzpatrick as the future????? No they don't. They need to just stop it and play Petty, future or not you have to see what the guy can do.   If he performs well then they have a solid back up and number 2 at worst, to Hackenberg assuming he develops.   Please do not use that term "best chance to win" again this season.  Donald Duck could be the quarterback and I would give him just as much of a chance as I give Fitzpatrick.   

The coaches see him in practice and feel he is not the future.   That is nonsense!!!!   The Jet coaches are clueless.   I definitely don't trust our coaches' opinion on quarterbacks.   Play Petty the rest of the season and take the friggin training wheels off. 

27 minutes ago, TJ said:

The coaches see him in practice and feel he is not the future.   That is nonsense!!!!   The Jet coaches are clueless.   I definitely don't trust our coaches' opinion on quarterbacks.   Play Petty the rest of the season and take the friggin training wheels off. 

So because someone here says why, you go off on the coaches because you know if it's said in here it has to be the reason. 

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

So because someone here says why, you go off on the coaches because you know if it's said in here it has to be the reason. 

No.   I think the coaching is poor without that being the reason.   I actually think Chan is a decent coach but his boss is way too conservative (and stupid) 

9 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree with the logic but if they do not see Petty as the future, why waste a roster spot to start the year? 

4 QB's on the 53 with no franchise potential is just bad talent management and that is more concerning then the lack of in game adjustments

This was my point as well.  If Petty is no "good" why not trade him when a team, the Vikings, came a calling???? 

Keeping two developmental QBs on the roster at that point was stupid then!!!

5 hours ago, Freemanm said:

That's all great, but he can't flat out miss a wide open Robbie Anderson or not see a wide open Enunwa, which he did on a couple of occasions...

You mean to tell me that in his first NFL game he wasn't completely perfect on all his passes? Obviously he needs to clean some things up but every QB misses some throws a game. 

10 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

As Trump said....  "what the hell do we have to lose"???  I say start the kid.  If we are assuming the coaches KNOW, well that is not enough. They seem inept in all other areas, talent evaluation is not something I give them a pass for,

Hell to the yeah...What has this CS done to warrant credibility in any area of football operations and on the field play? Last year they crapped the bit when it mattered most, and this year was already placed in the forgettable column by October 1. We all knew after the KC game that this was a train wreck. I listen to Bowles talk after games and on the radio, and I want to strangle myself afterwards. I want to kill my father for making me a Jets fan, but he's been dead for 30 years LOL. Ironic, he did not have to suffer through the last 30 years of this mess like I did, thanks to him.

14 hours ago, Pac said:

Remember when everyone was saying how much better than Geno he was because he played above average a couple quarters against 3rd stringers?  Good times.

The man has started ONE GAME....Geno? TWENTY-NINE games.

The was a track record for Geno when those comments were made, not for Petty.

When Petty regresses after starting the next season and a half, get back to us.

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

My thinking on this is two fold...

1) They needed a back-up as they didn't watch Hack to play at all.

2) They thought he might turn into a long-term backup.  My guess, in their eyes he's not even that right now.  I would be surprised if he's on the team next season.

What?

They had Geno as the backup...and, Petty was injured in the last PS game...if they felt he was not a possible answer to the QB conundrum, they could have cut him without a second thought at last cuts.

And who keeps a 4th QB because he 'may' turn into a long-term backup?  Seriously?

Petty has 2 things that cannot be taught:

ELITE arm strength

ELITE release quickness

He also seems to be picking up the offense, and definitely already understands going through progressions and using his footwork well. He is an "instinctive" type player and still coming up to speed on recognizing defenses and defensive traps, and he will have some bumps in the road.

But to me at least he is the first QB we have had in a while that passes the eye test. I think he is worth the investment to develop. He may still need a full year of games to really emerge but I personally would give it to him, unless Hack is making gigantic strides in practice,

People are down on Hack but he too has ELITE arm strength and release quickness and supposed to be extremely smart.

Coaching and Bowles becoming less of a pussy are required to have either of these games become a franchse guy, but both have a good shot.

9 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

What?

They had Geno as the backup...and, Petty was injured in the last PS game...if they felt he was not a possible answer to the QB conundrum, they could have cut him without a second thought at last cuts.

And who keeps a 4th QB because he 'may' turn into a long-term backup?  Seriously?

Geno was gone after this year....and Petty was cheap.

The team sees Petty as nothing more than a back-up.  It's seems incredibly obvious to me.  Heck, Mac came out and said as much last year.

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Geno was gone after this year....and Petty was cheap.

The team sees Petty as nothing more than a back-up.  It's seems incredibly obvious to me.  Heck, Mac came out and said as much last year.

Which is incredibly stupid before the guy ever plays in a game. 

On 11/16/2016 at 10:49 AM, Ken Shroy said:

Take the training wheels off, Bryce Petty wants to ‘sling it’ By George Willis

Bryce Petty left for his bye week not knowing if he was the Jets quarterback of the future or just the past weekend. Coach Bowles has made no commitment on who will be the starter a week from Sunday when the Jets entertain the Patriots on Nov. 27 at MetLife Stadium. Ryan Fitzpatrick, if healthy could get the nod, though that seems like wasted energy with the Jets at 3-7. Petty, the fourth-round pick in 2015, should remain the starting quarterback and the Jets should take off the training wheels and let him become the quarterback he’s destined to be. His first career NFL start was basically a dud, a 9-6 loss to the Rams last Sunday where Petty was underwhelming. He completed 19-of-32 passes for 163 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Other than the 52-yard bomb to Robby Anderson, his longest completion was 11 yards. That’s a long way from the Bryce Petty who passed for more than 8,000 yards and 61 touchdowns in two seasons at Baylor. Yes, it was a spread system built for big yards, but Petty had all the tools physically, mentally and socially to warrant his fourth-round selection in 2015. Now it’s time to see if the kid can play in the NFL. The Jets should stick with Petty when they return from their bye week and face six remaining games. Give Petty the ball and take the training wheels off and let him sink or swim playing the way he wants to play. “I think there were definitely some opportunities there to go downfield,” Petty said of his first start. “I’ll learn as I go when I can take those shots. It’s not about being a game manager. You want to win. I don’t like flirting with that line. I want to be me. I like slinging that ball around.” Petty will have to value ball security and learn when to be daring and when not to. But the only way he does that is by being allowed to throw it downfield. The Jets have nothing to lose, but everything to gain if they go into training camp thinking they have their quarterback of the future. There’s plenty to play for over these last six games. “We’re going to keep fighting,” Petty said. “We’re going to keep working hard; hungry as ever. We all are. We’re fighting for pride. We’re fighting for the guys in the locker room because that’s all we have.”  He’s already sounding like a leader. The Jets know there will be change in the offseason with big decisions at defensive line, cornerback, tight end, and quarterback. Petty should get his shot now, though he’s not going to campaign for it. Right now, it’s still Fitzpatrick’s team. “We’re here to play football,” Petty said. “That’s all we can worry about. For me, it’s control what you can control; to be a good teammate and to be a better quarterback than I was yesterday. That part doesn’t change whatever’s going on.” Petty will go back to Texas during the bye; put his boots on and eat mom’s cooking and talk with his dad. “It will be good to get your mind away from things, regroup and get ready to rock and roll when you get back,” Petty said The Jets should be ready to rock and roll, too. There has been a lack of passion on this team. Good teams build a bold bravado that wins in the fourth quarter. The Jets have continually wilted. Petty should get his chance to change the culture around the Jets. And when he does, it should be with a more aggressive offensive approach than displayed against the Rams. “There were definitely some opportunities to make some plays,” Petty said. “Overall, we moved the ball. We just have to finish plays.” There’s no sense in playing cautious against Patriots or anyone else. A trick play scored the lone touchdown against the Rams. The playbook should stay wide open. Next time the Jets need to take the training wheels off Petty.

This coaching staff and management are a total joke.. The team plays so conservative as if it has really ANYTHING to lose.. And playing so conservative has only assured them more loses.. They didn't let petty air it out all, short easy passes that didn't fool anybody why we couldn't score points.. Wtf does this team have to lose by showing balls and actually playing to win ? And Bowles is such a coward for not playing petty out of fear of the players backlash 

Archived