67.5 million dollars!

Jetster

4 hours ago, xboxjets said:

Screenshot of 2017 Contract according to overthecap. See alot of savings over 4.5 million here. Revis, Clady, Skrine, Gilchrist, Harris.

Maybe Mangold & Giacomini asked to take pay cut.

Richardson pending trade?

Jets DeadCAP 2017.png

Here's the problem (or "problem" depending how one sees it): individually there would seem to be a lot of no-brainers & easy fat to trim. Collectively, he's simply not going to do it to continue his "competitive rebuild" idea.

Clady is not (or should not) return. I think his 2nd year is a team option anyway and would be shocked if it was exercised. 

Revis has been discussed plenty. He will probably be cut because it's less egg on their faces to pay him $5M to play elsewhere than $15M to play here. (Assume a $1M offset).

Richardson looks like he'll be moved. I think 2 years of this logjam has shown there isn't enough room for him at $8M with Mo and Williams locked in. The team isn't headed for the SB in 2017, so unless the long term plan is to ditch Mo pre-2018 and lock up Sheldon long term instead, I think he'll get moved. Next best reason he stays is because Maccagnan's demands are again out of touch with the player's actual trade value. They already tried moving him a couple of weeks ago, but our opening demands were seen as a non-starter by an otherwise very interested Cowboys team. 

Gilchrist isn't playing well enough to bother with mere pay cut discussions, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that happen either. He should be cut but I give that about 50/50. Hard to justify keeping him over the $6M he could clear for the '17 season (truly only clears $4.7M net, as another $1.3M would hit the '18 cap).

Harris could/should be moved but I'd say 75/25 he returns to finish his 3-year deal. Internally the team still thinks highly enough of him, and he helps fill the leadership void Bowles isn't filling himself.

Mangold same thing. He's a fan favorite, and they already have another 3 OL positions to fill (LT), re-sign (RG), or upgrade (RT) without adding center into the mix. Like Harris, I think he returns even though he'd clear nearly $10M by cutting ties 1 year early.

Breno I give 50/50, again just depending on success in finding someone else to fill his place first. I'd have thought more than that but mindlessly PUPing him says they think more highly of him than do the fans.

Henderson doesn't clear a fortune if his '17 team option isn't picked up. Even though he provides veteran depth they may just see his salary to snap count ratio to be too lopsided. He could surely be re-signed later for less if they really felt they needed him back for some reason.

A rebuilding team could/should arguably cut any/every one of them. Cumulatively they'd clear some $55M. That's quite a lot, but consider that it creates an additional 6 starter holes on top of the 4-5 existing starter holes/pending FAs/upgrades already needed. That's half a starting football team - QB among them - and there likely aren't enough FAs or instant-starter draft picks to do that all at once without inking more 2015-esque, ill-advised pickups.

Knowing the Jets, they'll see Tony Romo's $14M cap cost as a bargain and will probably pounce on trading for him. Then they'll use that acquisition as an excuse to keep other veteran dead weight that should have been cleared, and will again draft purely for need in each round.

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just imagine this scenario & also try to imagine what difference would it really make not having these players making this amount of money against the NY Jets salary cap.

Fitzpatrick-Giacomini-Harris-Revis-Mangold-Gilchrist-Clady-Folk

OVER SIXTY SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS! 

Now look at that list again & try to imagine if we could replace those positions without compromising those positions. This is what we would need from their replacements.

QB- protect the ball & have the ability to to develop

Oline- RT/LT/Center- Stay healthy & develop. These 3 would cost 25 million in 2017. All 3 cut we only get a $500,000 cap hit in 2017. Freaking NO BRAINER moving on.

MLB- Harris is done. Another no brainer.

CB- Burris & Roberts are younger, plus Macc will draft another one. Revis play has dropped off a cliff.

Safety- Gilchrist can easily be replaced maybe Middleton or Martin on the practice squad. I'm sure that's why they are there.

Kicker- Folk is totally replaceable. Cincy game could be layed right at his crappy foot.

Jets won't be losing anything but a bunch of overpaid bodies, all of them easily replaceable. Your not losing any leadership as none of these guys other than Harris were ever leaders. When I look at this, I realize that this 2017 offseason is in fact Maccs biggest. He'll once again have a good chunk of money, plus the cap is going up. He may get a draft pick (hopefully a 2nd but probably a 3rd for Shledon), plus we'll be picking very high in this upcoming draft. This will be his most important 2nd round pick (imperative for the Jets based on horrible past picks). Plus, here's the most interesting thing. Cutler may be cut, Romo may be available, Bradford may be available, are the Skins going to get it done with Cousins?,  Glennon will be a free agent, and there are VERY FEW starting jobs available. Browns? Bears? Jets? Vikings? Maybe, Skins maybe? that's it! 

3rd draft, 2nd with his scouts in place & a lot of money. Gonna be our wildest offseason in a while. I expect only youth, except a QB if Glennon is not the choice. If Petty shows little there has to be a bridge to Hackenberg. All is not lost my fellow Jet fans.

I did pretty much this same thing in the draft thread, except placed in a couple ideas of who we might get in our draft...just mere suggestions...was lambasted.

That said, I agree completely. Cut the fat and we're left with some decent, cheap, young players, some nice draft picks, and some coin.

??

The only reason you might want to keep some of those vets, is the fact that you might be able to get comp draft picks eventually.So I don't know what's more important and I'm not sure if the cap savings is worth more or less than that.

One thing I know for sure is that I very much hope we stay out of free agency the next three years, we need to avoid it like the plague.  Nothing good comes from FA until you have a strong nucleus of young players under contract, a secure cap future and  a qb that you believe in.

10 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just imagine this scenario & also try to imagine what difference would it really make not having these players making this amount of money against the NY Jets salary cap.

Now look at that list again & try to imagine if we could replace those positions without compromising those positions. This is what we would need from their replacements.

Oline- RT/LT/Center- Stay healthy & develop. These 3 would cost 25 million in 2017. All 3 cut we only get a $500,000 cap hit in 2017. Freaking NO BRAINER moving on.

CB- Burris & Roberts are younger, plus Macc will draft another one. Revis play has dropped off a cliff.

Safety- Gilchrist can easily be replaced maybe Middleton or Martin on the practice squad. I'm sure that's why they are there.

Kicker- Folk is totally replaceable. Cincy game could be layed right at his crappy foot.

Jets won't be losing anything but a bunch of overpaid bodies, all of them easily replaceable. Your not losing any leadership as none of these guys other than Harris were ever leaders. When I look at this, I realize that this 2017 offseason is in fact Maccs biggest. He'll once again have a good chunk of money, plus the cap is going up. He may get a draft pick (hopefully a 2nd but probably a 3rd for Shledon), plus we'll be picking very high in this upcoming draft. This will be his most important 2nd round pick (imperative for the Jets based on horrible past picks). Plus, here's the most interesting thing. Cutler may be cut, Romo may be available, Bradford may be available, are the Skins going to get it done with Cousins?,  Glennon will be a free agent, and there are VERY FEW starting jobs available. Browns? Bears? Jets? Vikings? Maybe, Skins maybe? that's it! 

3rd draft, 2nd with his scouts in place & a lot of money. Gonna be our wildest offseason in a while. I expect only youth, except a QB if Glennon is not the choice. If Petty shows little there has to be a bridge to Hackenberg. All is not lost my fellow Jet fans.

You lost me at 'just imagine'

12 hours ago, BRONX DUDE said:

I would not be surprised if Fitz starts against Brady. I don't think Petty can handle what the HOODIE will throw his way on 11/27

I would not be surprised if Petty starts against Brady. I don't think Fitz can handle what the HOODIE will throw his way on 11/27

;-) 

11 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Where is the love for Wilkerson and his $17 million?  He's arguably playing worse than everyone you list!

You can't cut the guy right after you signed him. The 67 million is actual 2017 savings based on their salaries for 2017 minus their cap hits. When you can cut Harris, Mangold with ZERO cap hit, you do it. I will be really disappointed in Macc if he keeps Mangold @ 10 million! That's f*cking stupid & something that the hoodie up in New England would never ever do.

My point is that this is the perfect opportunity to again use fiscal responsibility & maybe bring in Glennon and start getting younger players in here that play like Leo and give it their all. Lee & Jenkins are getting their feet wet, Leo is a star in the making, Anderson, Peake, Smith have talent. Every free agent target should be a younger player, you guys forget that if Macc cleans house which I believe is a no brainer, he'll HAVE TO spend up to a certain level. That's why I think he should target Chandler Jones & Collins. Of course you can't go crazy, but those 2 guys with our interior Dline would be game changers. Lee, Jenkins, Collins would be a terrific LB group growing up together. 

Offense? Other than CB, I go all offense in the draft. Build a young tough Oline to grow up with our young QB (Glennon, Petty, Hack). Maybe with 2 threes if we trade Richardson we go RB, TE, in the 3rd. I want to see this team built to develop together in 2017 so 2018 could be a coming out party. 

17 hours ago, Jetster said:

A well thought out post. The key will be who Macc drafts after the first round. He can't go with experimental QBs who are going to need at least a season to develop (Geno would have done a lot better if he had a season behind a decent QB).

If the Jets are developing a QB, I think keeping Mangold, hopefully restructured, makes sense.  Breno or Clady no, but they should be aggressive in adding Ts in FA.

For defense, draft and hold-the-fort FAs only, until the team has been rebuilt.  

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

If the Jets are developing a QB, I think keeping Mangold, hopefully restructured, makes sense.  Breno or Clady no, but they should be aggressive in adding Ts in FA.

For defense, draft and hold-the-fort FAs only, until the team has been rebuilt.  

Why FA's? I say draft OL and CB exclusively if necessary and find quality character guys that truly want to be leaders and want to win above everything. That is something the Jets have lacked since Klecko and Lyons were here. Wilkerson reportedly told Mac that he desired to be a team leader then comes in and lays down. Bench his a$$ the rest of the season and see if he doesn't come back next year ready to fulfill that promise.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Here's the problem (or "problem" depending how one sees it): individually there would seem to be a lot of no-brainers & easy fat to trim. Collectively, he's simply not going to do it to continue his "competitive rebuild" idea.

Clady is not (or should not) return. I think his 2nd year is a team option anyway and would be shocked if it was exercised. 

Revis has been discussed plenty. He will probably be cut because it's less egg on their faces to pay him $5M to play elsewhere than $15M to play here. (Assume a $1M offset).

Richardson looks like he'll be moved. I think 2 years of this logjam has shown there isn't enough room for him at $8M with Mo and Williams locked in. The team isn't headed for the SB in 2017, so unless the long term plan is to ditch Mo pre-2018 and lock up Sheldon long term instead, I think he'll get moved. Next best reason he stays is because Maccagnan's demands are again out of touch with the player's actual trade value. They already tried moving him a couple of weeks ago, but our opening demands were seen as a non-starter by an otherwise very interested Cowboys team. 

Gilchrist isn't playing well enough to bother with mere pay cut discussions, but it wouldn't surprise me to see that happen either. He should be cut but I give that about 50/50. Hard to justify keeping him over the $6M he could clear for the '17 season (truly only clears $4.7M net, as another $1.3M would hit the '18 cap).

Harris could/should be moved but I'd say 75/25 he returns to finish his 3-year deal. Internally the team still thinks highly enough of him, and he helps fill the leadership void Bowles isn't filling himself.

Mangold same thing. He's a fan favorite, and they already have another 3 OL positions to fill (LT), re-sign (RG), or upgrade (RT) without adding center into the mix. Like Harris, I think he returns even though he'd clear nearly $10M by cutting ties 1 year early.

Breno I give 50/50, again just depending on success in finding someone else to fill his place first. I'd have thought more than that but mindlessly PUPing him says they think more highly of him than do the fans.

Henderson doesn't clear a fortune if his '17 team option isn't picked up. Even though he provides veteran depth they may just see his salary to snap count ratio to be too lopsided. He could surely be re-signed later for less if they really felt they needed him back for some reason.

A rebuilding team could/should arguably cut any/every one of them. Cumulatively they'd clear some $55M. That's quite a lot, but consider that it creates an additional 6 starter holes on top of the 4-5 existing starter holes/pending FAs/upgrades already needed. That's half a starting football team - QB among them - and there likely aren't enough FAs or instant-starter draft picks to do that all at once without inking more 2015-esque, ill-advised pickups.

Knowing the Jets, they'll see Tony Romo's $14M cap cost as a bargain and will probably pounce on trading for him. Then they'll use that acquisition as an excuse to keep other veteran dead weight that should have been cleared, and will again draft purely for need in each round.

Off this list I would cut Clady, Giacomini, Harris, Gilchrist, Revis and Henderson. I would keep Mangold because I love the guy and want to see him finish as a Jet. Plus, he is still playing at a fairly high level. Revis will hurt in the short term but with the cap going up the team can absorb the hit. He is clearly finished and his desire to play has left the building as well which is sad, because I always saw Revis as a warrior, but clearly he is out of gas. The Jets should draft an OL or two and continue to develop Brandon Shell, but Breno is expendable as Ijalana is playing well in his stead.

As for Romo I say no way, even if he came here for free.

A

17 hours ago, rangerous said:

imo you are not far off the mark.  something seems to always be missing from the coaching staff.  the players are really no worse than any other team's.  yeah there are some holes but every team has them.  at the same time the jets don't always keep coaches around very long.  rex had six seasons, which was 3 more than mangini and two more than herm.  parcells only coached for 3 seasons.  the jets also seem to like hiring first time head coaches.  they hardly even get ones with college experience.

You just described why no good, experienced coach will ever come here as long as Woody continues to run this operation the way he has. At this point, I don't think you could get a semi decent college coach to take a job in this rats nest. 

10 hours ago, August said:

Fans and media wanted Fitzpatrick back. 

Fans and media wanted Revis back. 

Fans and media wanted Wilkerson locked up in a long term deal. 

You got whst you all wanted so dont complain now. Suck it up.

Fitz -- I wanted him back but I didn't see a huge disparity between him and Geno for 1/15th the money and I was right.  I thought he'd regress this season but not like this.

Revis -- we had to bring back because we had nothing at CB.

Wilk -- Never got the fuss about having to give this guy a $100 million extension.  

42 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Fitz -- I wanted him back but I didn't see a huge disparity between him and Geno for 1/15th the money and I was right.  I thought he'd regress this season but not like this.

Revis -- we had to bring back because we had nothing at CB.

Wilk -- Never got the fuss about having to give this guy a $100 million extension.  

I was in favor of bringing back Fitzpatrick but once April and May rolled around we should've moved on and signed a different QB. 

I never wanted to bring back Revis.

Wilkerson is the one that I myself have been wrong about. 

Fitz- I saw no reason to sign him when Nick Foles was available for 1.8 million. Funny that the day Foles was released Fitz agent renewed talks with Macc. 

Revis- I knew this was a total Woody decision. 

Wilkerson- Did not want to give him a huge contract & posted many times about him disappearing & never making game changing plays. After he was signed I was happy it wasn't a Watt contract, but I had no idea he was a lazy meeting missing trouble child. I'm hoping recovering from his broken leg might be some of the problem?

9 hours ago, varjet said:

I think Revis should be cut, but if he is, he will end up playing for an AFC opponent for the vet minimum.

Fine by me - the way he's playing right now it would give us a double advantage. Strengthen your own team AND weaken an opponent at the same time. 

Archived