Honestly think Petty looks dam good for a second year 4th rounder

nico002

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know. There's always something to find to like if you're looking for it with a QB prospect. All of these guys always have a thing or two they do well, that's why they've made it to the NFL. They have an arm, or they're smart, or they're mobile...etc. But in terms of the total package and more importantly decision making I don't see it, and the numbers also say Petty has been pretty bad. If the Jets want to give Petty a shot for next year to make the roster that's fine but this team doesn't have the luxury of simply handing full years to anyone that shows promise. The Jets have been doing that for almost 10 years and it doesn't work. Enough with the promise and potential in he face of turning the ball over, and we just smile and say that's ok, do your job or get cut. 

This is a lost season and he's learning and gaining valuable experience. He's shown some potential and flashes. I think he's earned the right to compete for the job next year. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, August said:

This is a lost season and he's learning and gaining valuable experience. He's shown some potential and flashes. I think he's earned the right to compete for the job next year. 

For the job? He's a backup QB. He's showing that he has potential future in that capacity, yes. 

24 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know. There's always something to find to like if you're looking for it with a QB prospect. All of these guys always have a thing or two they do well, that's why they've made it to the NFL. They have an arm, or they're smart, or they're mobile...etc. But in terms of the total package and more importantly decision making I don't see it, and the numbers also say Petty has been pretty bad. If the Jets want to give Petty a shot for next year to make the roster that's fine but this team doesn't have the luxury of simply handing full years to anyone that shows promise. The Jets have been doing that for almost 10 years and it doesn't work. Enough with the promise and potential in he face of turning the ball over, and we just smile and say that's ok, do your job or get cut. 

Kid looks tough and has a very good arm. Not sure if time is going to help him get better or not. Personally think Jets have nothing more than rest of  this season to find out. They don't have the luxury to carry a bunch of QB projects. Personally I think by the end of the year he proves to be an adequate back up. Nobody wants to hear this but we will be shopping  for another vet. Hackenburgh pick  put this  team back 3 years. Gonna be like waiting for Santa's fat ass to come down the chimney. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

Kid looks tough and has a very good arm. Not sure if time is going to help him get better or not. Personally think Jets have nothing more than rest of  this season to find out. They don't have the luxury to carry a bunch of QB projects. Personally I think by the end of the year he proves to be an adequate back up. Nobody wants to hear this but we will be shopping  for another vet. Hackenburgh pick  put this  team back 3 years. Gonna be like waiting for Santa's fat ass to come down the chimney. 

No qualms with letting Petty play out the year, 2 more L's certainly help the draft position.

The fact that Hackenberg isn't even good enough to put on pads at this point in a season like this is preposterous.

31 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You say that like we've all these other options.  What do you suggest they do?

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No qualms with letting Petty play out the year, 2 more L's certainly help the draft position.

The fact that Hackenberg isn't even good enough to put on pads at this point in a season like this is preposterous.

We were one bruised leprechaun away from seeing Bilal Powell at QB last night. Preposterous should be capitalized. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

We were one bruised leprechaun away from seeing Bilal Powell at QB last night. Preposterous should be capitalized. 

It's incredible how much leash fans are will to give the two Macc QBs. I don't think anyone's expecting them to be winning games, let alone championships -- but they've been horrendous in practice, barely visible in preseason and both were unable to EVEN PUSH the righteous duo known as FitzGeno

Just now, Paradis said:

It's incredible how much leash fans are will to give the two Macc QBs. I don't think anyone's expecting them to be winning games, let alone championships -- but they've been horrendous in practice, barely visible in preseason and both were unable to EVEN PUSH the righteous duo known as FitzGeno

The Hackenburgh pick is simply ridiculous. Maybe, if you got a franchise guy and you really think the kid has something you do it. But with a jag that's not even signed yet, a malcontent with worse luck ever and a late round project? Personally I think Mac could be fired for that alone. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

The Hackenburgh pick is simply ridiculous. Maybe, if you got a franchise guy and you really think the kid has something you do it. But with a jag that's not even signed yet, a malcontent with worse luck ever and a late round project? Personally I think Mac could be fired for that alone. 

100%

39 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

**** potential. Do or do not.

Too soon to say either way. 

30 minutes ago, Paradis said:

For the job? He's a backup QB. He's showing that he has potential future in that capacity, yes. 

We're probably rebuilding next year so that would be the perfect time to see what we have in Petty. 

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Don't know about fired alone for that.. but I don't agree with red shirting a 2nd rounder is ridiculous. You picked him that high for a reason.

I think people are so desperate to find something in Petty that they're overrating him. He had a 2 INT game. Sure, he made a couple of good throws, everyone has flashes. Sanchez did, Geno did, even a guy like McElroy did. Flashes don't win championships. 

Not saying he's not the guy, but let's not act like he's played well. He just hasn't played terribly. Two completely different things.

4 hours ago, August said:

Right but it goes back to my original point. Petty hasn't shown enough to warrant giving him the job in '17, and Hackenberg is a complete unknown. We need an experienced QB in the mix. 

I absolutely hate this attitude.  We need an experienced QB for what reason exactly?  Because we have an awesome offense and defense otherwise, and so any average joe QB will get us deep in the playoffs?

If you draft young QBs, you have to play them.  The only chance to get even an above average QB is to develop them (besides exceptional circumstances).  Petty has sat long enough.  It's time to figure out if he's good or not, and if not, you cut him and move on.

The only veteran QB I want to see on the sideline is someone who's wearing a blazer as an assistant QB coach.

4 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I absolutely hate this attitude.  We need an experienced QB for what reason exactly?  Because we have an awesome offense and defense otherwise, and so any average joe QB will get us deep in the playoffs?

If you draft young QBs, you have to play them.  The only chance to get even an above average QB is to develop them (besides exceptional circumstances).  Petty has sat long enough.  It's time to figure out if he's good or not, and if not, you cut him and move on.

The only veteran QB I want to see on the sideline is someone who's wearing a blazer as an assistant QB coach.

Are you comfortable going into a season with Petty and Hackenberg at QB? 

55 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If only we had gotten Paxton...then everything would have been much better.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I honestly doubt this is the case - I think he's not in pads because management made a decision when they drafted him that he wasn't going to play this year...and they are sticking to their own commitment. He could be looking great in practice and I think they would still hold him back.

15 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Comfortable?  Of course.  Sure, we might stink, but you don't get any medals for being 8-8 with a vet QB who is only going to get worse over time.

I'm saying that you don't go into a season without a proven veteran. That would be irresponsible. Denver signed Mark Sanchez and cut him after Siemian showed he can handle the job. If Petty or Hackenberg proves themselves you can cut the vet QB. 

4 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I Agree 100%. You have to look at what we seen last year and to see what he is this year. A great improvement. We did not see that with either Sanchez or Geno. These critics on this board can't understand that this was just his third game starting in the NFL. Even Peytons first full year was not a good year. What I see is a definite starter in the NFL.

I almost never agree with Tony but he is spot on here. I can't believe some of the people around here. Are they seeing the same QB as I am? 

Petty has been a pleasant surprise. What I like is the improvement I've seen from last year to now. Also from game to game this year. 

Strong arm, size, mobility, hard worker, smart, great attitude and one tough sumbitch. He's the first one in and last guy to leave. Listen to Tony Dungy praise the huy last night. Petty made some great throws. Stepped up to the line made changes when needed. Did he make mistakes? Of course he did. Bad Throws? Yup there were a few. 

But this kid is growing and improving game to game. Look at his game during last years preseason. Look at the Rams game. Big improvement yesterday  

he needs to play more. Hope he's healthy to start the next two games. Playing against Belichick and a Ryan defense will do wonders to his growth (assuming the o-line doesn't get him killed). This offseason will be huge. He should sign up with a QB guru like Tom House and maybe hire someone like Chad Pennington to break down film with.

Next TC will be huge. Give him plenty of first team reps, better coaching (Whisenhunt as OC/Charlie Weis as QBCoach) , upgrade the o-line,  a veteran QB to lean on and a full season as starter to grow and I think we will have our franchise Qb. 

People have to understand not all QB are great from day 1. Peyton and Eli Manning, Troy Aikman all had horrible first seasons. 

19 minutes ago, kennyo7 said:

I almost never agree with Tony but he is spot on here. I can't believe some of the people around here. Are they seeing the same QB as I am? 

Petty has been a pleasant surprise. What I like is the improvement I've seen from last year to now. Also from game to game this year. 

Strong arm, size, mobility, hard worker, smart, great attitude and one tough sumbitch. He's the first one in and last guy to leave. Listen to Tony Dungy praise the huy last night. Petty made some great throws. Stepped up to the line made changes when needed. Did he make mistakes? Of course he did. Bad Throws? Yup there were a few. 

But this kid is growing and improving game to game. Look at his game during last years preseason. Look at the Rams game. Big improvement yesterday  

he needs to play more. Hope he's healthy to start the next two games. Playing against Belichick and a Ryan defense will do wonders to his growth (assuming the o-line doesn't get him killed). This offseason will be huge. He should sign up with a QB guru like Tom House and maybe hire someone like Chad Pennington to break down film with.

Next TC will be huge. Give him plenty of first team reps, better coaching (Whisenhunt as OC/Charlie Weis as QBCoach) , upgrade the o-line,  a veteran QB to lean on and a full season as starter to grow and I think we will have our franchise Qb. 

People have to understand not all QB are great from day 1. Peyton and Eli Manning, Troy Aikman all had horrible first seasons. 

This is a great point, Aikman played on a bad Dallas team & threw a bunch of picks, Eli was terrible early. I liked some of things I saw. Remember this too, Petty can move around pretty good, but the Jets Oline is so bad guys are on him so quickly he can't run. When he gets more experience & comfortable he'll also run more if he has a very good Oline in front of him.

52 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

4-9 and the guy is standing there in a hoodie.

I think way too much is made of this. They clearly don't want to put him in real game action until he fixes his mechanics. Him being in pads really has no bearing where he is or isn't. He was clearly being redshirted the entire year, nothing more, nothing less

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

I think way too much is made of this. They clearly don't want to put him in real game action until he fixes his mechanics. Him being in pads really has no bearing where he is or isn't. He was clearly being redshirted the entire year, nothing more, nothing less

Football players play football. We do not excuse the front office of the football team for drafting football players that do not play football, nor the football player that can't play football. That's not how this works.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Football players play football. We do not excuse the front office of the football team for drafting football players that do not play football, nor the football player that can't play football. That's not how this works.

Its called a redshirt year, and NFL teams do it all the time, genious

1 hour ago, kennyo7 said:

Love everything you just said. Love, love, love it. 

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not excusing anything or anyone. The odds are that he will not be a good QB, because very few QBs drafted outside of the first round ever amount to anything. They obviouly said he has mechanics he needs to fix, the guy was broken, they want to try to fix him. Not sure why him standing in pads last night makes any difference in the grand scheme of things, or makes it a better pick

6 hours ago, drdetroit said:

I know different subject but it was the 4th and goal play in the red zone last night Fitz had it was either Anderson or Peake WIDE OPEN in the end zone on an out route and he didn't see it because he just tried to force it to marshall

Fitz has regressed beyond even his mean. Petty is better than he is and should have been starting earlier. We'd have some more answers rather than the increasing amount of questions on this team.

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not excusing anything or anyone. The odds are that he will not be a good QB, because very few QBs drafted outside of the first round ever amount to anything. They obviouly said he has mechanics he needs to fix, the guy was broken, they want to try to fix him. Not sure why him standing in pads last night makes any difference in the grand scheme of things, or makes it a better pick

Archived