Honestly think Petty looks dam good for a second year 4th rounder

nico002

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Fitz has regressed beyond even his mean. Petty is better than he is and should have been starting earlier. We'd have some more answers than the increasing amount of questions on this team.

Petty shoulda been playing ever since Geno blew out his knee

FU Bowles

2 hours ago, kennyo7 said:

I almost never agree with Tony but he is spot on here. I can't believe some of the people around here. Are they seeing the same QB as I am? 

Petty has been a pleasant surprise. What I like is the improvement I've seen from last year to now. Also from game to game this year. 

Strong arm, size, mobility, hard worker, smart, great attitude and one tough sumbitch. He's the first one in and last guy to leave. Listen to Tony Dungy praise the huy last night. Petty made some great throws. Stepped up to the line made changes when needed. Did he make mistakes? Of course he did. Bad Throws? Yup there were a few. 

But this kid is growing and improving game to game. Look at his game during last years preseason. Look at the Rams game. Big improvement yesterday  

he needs to play more. Hope he's healthy to start the next two games. Playing against Belichick and a Ryan defense will do wonders to his growth (assuming the o-line doesn't get him killed). This offseason will be huge. He should sign up with a QB guru like Tom House and maybe hire someone like Chad Pennington to break down film with.

Next TC will be huge. Give him plenty of first team reps, better coaching (Whisenhunt as OC/Charlie Weis as QBCoach) , upgrade the o-line,  a veteran QB to lean on and a full season as starter to grow and I think we will have our franchise Qb. 

People have to understand not all QB are great from day 1. Peyton and Eli Manning, Troy Aikman all had horrible first seasons. 

I would try and lure Bill Callahan from redskins to help rebuild the OL...give him blank check and make him assistant head coach if that helps

Gruden's take on Petty was he isn't anywhere near ready yet. He needs to sit another year or two before he can be assessed properly.  At this point, Gruden stated Petty is not the answer. I have to agree with Gruden here. Although, I like what I have seen of Petty.  He's definitely raw and lacks certain intangible QB skills like good field vision, ability to go through his progressions, acquiring a 6TH sense in the pocket, touch.  He needs ALOT of work.  Good points: he has a gun of an arm, is unafraid to cut it loose,  can throw into small windows, is tough, has conviction.  Bottom line is do you 'sacrifice' a few years to get him the needed on field experience he lacks or do you sign a veteran to take over while he matures.  Of course the school of thought swings two ways, play him immediately or let him sit and learn.  I would sit him. The is talk of drafting another QB and cutting Petty. I wouldn't be so impulsive to do that.  He has promise, he just needs time.  Oh and an OL to block for him wouldn't hurt either. :rolleyes:  

meh

mooch did a draft special when he came out I think it was playmakers.  He had Petty and hundley and Mannion

what I remember him saying about Hundley was "when his first option isn't wide open, he pulls it down and runs"

what I remember him saying about petty was "when his first option isn't wide open, he pulls it down and gets sacked"

I remember thinking after that show, "lol, please anybody but petty"

I'm just so done with dumb, slow thinking QB's

1 minute ago, Powpow said:

Gruden's take on Petty was he isn't anywhere near ready yet. He needs to sit another year or two before he can be assessed properly.  At this point, Gruden stated Petty is not the answer. I have to agree with Gruden here. Although, I like what I have seen of Petty.  He's definitely raw and lacks certain intangible QB skills like good field vision, ability to go through his progressions, acquiring a 6TH sense in the pocket, touch.  He needs ALOT of work.  Good points: he has a gun of an arm, is unafraid to cut it loose,  can throw into small windows, is tough, has conviction.  Bottom line is do you 'sacrifice' a few years to get him the needed on field experience he lacks or do you sign a veteran to take over while he matures.  Of course the school of thought swings two ways, play him immediately or let him sit and learn.  I would sit him. The is talk of drafting another QB and cutting Petty. I wouldn't be so impulsive to do that.  He has promise, he just needs time.  Oh and an OL to block for him wouldn't hurt either. :rolleyes:  

I don't necessarily disagree but how much time does he get? We're not going to keep paying a guy to sit on the bench to see if he develops. 

Petty looked better than Bortles behind a makeshift line, and better than Osweiller for sure.  

Petty looked excellent last night at times, but most of the team gave up after that blocked field goal.  Also, Marshall should have been lifted, he didn't give much effort at all.  

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

Petty looked better than Bortles behind a makeshift line, and better than Osweiller for sure.  

Petty looked excellent last night at times, but most of the team gave up after that blocked field goal.  Also, Marshall should have been lifted, he didn't give much effort at all.  

waiting on your article so these guys can get a better idea of what they are talking about.

2 hours ago, kennyo7 said:

I almost never agree with Tony but he is spot on here. I can't believe some of the people around here. Are they seeing the same QB as I am? 

Petty has been a pleasant surprise. What I like is the improvement I've seen from last year to now. Also from game to game this year. 

Strong arm, size, mobility, hard worker, smart, great attitude and one tough sumbitch. He's the first one in and last guy to leave. Listen to Tony Dungy praise the huy last night. Petty made some great throws. Stepped up to the line made changes when needed. Did he make mistakes? Of course he did. Bad Throws? Yup there were a few. 

But this kid is growing and improving game to game. Look at his game during last years preseason. Look at the Rams game. Big improvement yesterday  

he needs to play more. Hope he's healthy to start the next two games. Playing against Belichick and a Ryan defense will do wonders to his growth (assuming the o-line doesn't get him killed). This offseason will be huge. He should sign up with a QB guru like Tom House and maybe hire someone like Chad Pennington to break down film with.

Next TC will be huge. Give him plenty of first team reps, better coaching (Whisenhunt as OC/Charlie Weis as QBCoach) , upgrade the o-line,  a veteran QB to lean on and a full season as starter to grow and I think we will have our franchise Qb. 

People have to understand not all QB are great from day 1. Peyton and Eli Manning, Troy Aikman all had horrible first seasons. 

Dude, he's had THREE starts and he still doesn't get it!  He had bad throws AND interceptions last night.  What other QB does that after three starts?

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Also, Marshall should have been lifted, he didn't give much effort at all.  

You should of seen his locker room interview. "We just couldn't connect" over and over again. Interviewer goes what is your thoughts of Petty and how he has improved..he goes look I'm not gong to stand up here and give you a whole assessment on petty . We have 4 wins and we all have played like garbage. He just doesn't wanna talk about Petty. He seems very salty.

11 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't necessarily disagree but how much time does he get? We're not going to keep paying a guy to sit on the bench to see if he develops. 

Two years. Sign a vet for two years and not a Fitz type but a higher profile free agent QB.  Continue to improve the roster (if that's possible which I just don't think Mac has the feel for) and wait until Hack or Petty are ready.

He's been better in some ways than I thought he'd be but his deep ball accuracy has been disappointing. And i dont think deep ball accuracy is something that you can teach. It can get better. But if its not good right from the start, I doubt it ever becomes great. I hope im wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

He's been better in some ways than I thought he'd be but his deep ball accuracy has been disappointing. And i dont think deep ball accuracy is something that you can teach. It can get better. But if its not good right from the start, I doubt it ever becomes great. I hope im wrong. 

This fluctuates. Geno was good one year and bad the next, Sanchez was bad one year and good the next. Brady has been through "bad at deep ball spells." The encouraging thing with Bryce is that he's fairly accurate every else.

54 minutes ago, Barton said:

One of Petty's strong points coming out was that he had a "naturally accurate deep ball"  We have seen him in a couple of games.  He's had horrific OL protection.  hard to wait for a deep play to develop when you have 2 seconds to throw the ball.   Getting creamed, and having people in your face while throwing is going to affect your accuracy.  He doesn't have any timing  with his WR's.  As pointed out above he had 3rd string reps in camp, and couldn't practice the first 8 weeks of he season due to injury.

With all the adversity IMO the kid has played really well. Give him some time making hook up's deep.  He has already had a few big plays.  You don't have to hook up over 60% of the time with 30+ yard throws to make them effectrive.  If the threat of it is there, those safeties have to move out of the box

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

An offseason with the WR will fix the timing issue

Outside of OTA's that is usually difficult. In Petty's case it would be possible.  Robby Anderson lives in Teaneck.  Marshall spends a lot of time in the area because he wants to do the TV thing when he retires. 

Petty in the off-season might, or might not be,  the penciled in starter.  Think they will bring a vet in.  Will Marshall work out with him?.............Will Marshall  be on the team? (I think so)

12 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

Petty looked good first half, 2nd half fins teed off on him. He got destroyed. Everyone forgets he completed pass on play he got injured. He's only played 4 games. He'll get better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

he got destroyed because in flash the dolfins were up 27-10 and that forced the jets into a pass first mode.  and how did the doltfins get so far up?  well the special teams blew a punt and then the defense play matador defense.  this whole season has been defined by bad defensive play.

4 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I'm not excusing anything or anyone. The odds are that he will not be a good QB, because very few QBs drafted outside of the first round ever amount to anything. They obviouly said he has mechanics he needs to fix, the guy was broken, they want to try to fix him. Not sure why him standing in pads last night makes any difference in the grand scheme of things, or makes it a better pick

Because the season is effectively done, they're down two quarterbacks already, and the guy ahead of him isn't very good. Not being capable of so much as functioning as a backup given those circumstances says a lot, and the fact that the team doesn't even think their second round pick is worth a look in garbage time during a 4-win season is pathetic.

4 hours ago, Powpow said:

F*ck Gruden.  I've seen half a dozen of his productions.  While watching I'm thinking to myself, wow this guy really knows his stuff.  The a few of the QBs in question get drafted and the results are no were close to what Gruden was selling.  Gruden is just one more niche-talk-football-head.  I don't begrudge the man his making a nice living but I don't think his opinions carry enough weight to make them reference worthy.   

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Because the season is effectively done, they're down two quarterbacks already, and the guy ahead of him isn't very good. Not being capable of so much as functioning as a backup given those circumstances says a lot, and the fact that the team doesn't even think their second round pick is worth a look in garbage time during a 4-win season is pathetic.

Not wanting him to play and not being capable are not necessarily the same thing 

5 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

So are we going into this offseason with Bryce Petty as our #1 QB going into 2017? No veteran starter?  No 1st round draft pick?

Yes. in 1981 Bill Walsh said that it takes 24 starts to evaluate a quarterback, so that's what we have to give every single jabroni on the roster going forward. Year and a half minimum for every single one.

Bryce Petty has been just fine so far...not sure what everyone was expecting here.  He was long against the Rams on the long ball and short on some last night...this from a  guy who was 3rd string last year (getting no reps) and until midseason this year still 3rd string or injured.

Every play he checked out of last night was correct;  most of his sacks were full out whiffs or non blocking on the OL.

We got people in here calling him an 'egg shell'...seriously?  Did you see those hits in PS and last night?  Our OL is a recipe for QB injury.

You can't evaluate a QB in 3 games to the negative, at least not in this situation, with this OL.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Not me dude...he continually regressed, or shall we say failed to 'progress'...

Whatever.

Sure, only in his last season of starting his last 4 games were quite good. So, you're either lying or ignoring. either way

whatever...

Archived