Trade for Sean Payton?

Joejet

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2008 NY Jets were not legit super bowl contenders.  That is the most overrated team in Jets history.  Their great run is a fallacy.  They beat the Titans, and the Cards who traveled cross-country for the early game.  They split with the Pats winning in OT and Dolphins.  The other teams they beat were the Bills (twice Losman/Edwards) Rams, Chiefs and Bengals (starting QB Fitzpatrick) who were historically awful.  Needing one win for the playoffs, they lost to the Seahawks who ended up 4-12 and only beat the Niners (another bad team that beat us/Shaun Hill) and Rams (twice).  The only teams outside the division that they played with positive point differential on the season were the Titans, Cardinals (+1 point) and 8-8 Chargers who destroyed them.  The Cardinals lucking into the super bowl is the thing that gives everyone that rosy glow, but that team was exceedingly mediocre.

Wouldn't mind seeing what Payton could do without a franchise QB.  If one of the keys to having a successful franchise is to find and develop a QB, it would make sense to hire a head coach that could contribute to that process.  He got lucky with Brees but he has also had a hand in QBs that had good years while playing for him as a QB coach or coordinator.

18 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was the ironman, he made his career playing through pain.  he doesn't get an injury excuse when he plays through pain.  his arm was fine, it wasn't something he couldn't play with.  he had 3-4 good games all year, he killed our chances.  if we don't make that move and hold on to Chad we easily win the division that year.

Ironman is just a nickname. If Favre broke his leg, he couldn't play. What he was called means nothing.

A torn bicep is a severe injury. It effects your throwing. Saying his arm was fine just isn't fair. He gets no excuses because he played thru it, so he's subject to getting the blame. But you can't act like he didn't have a pretty big injury.

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Ironman is just a nickname. If Favre broke his leg, he couldn't play. What he was called means nothing.

A torn bicep is a severe injury. It effects your throwing. Saying his arm was fine just isn't fair. He gets no excuses because he played thru it, so he's subject to getting the blame. But you can't act like he didn't have a pretty big injury.

he didn't break his leg.  it wasn't severe enough for him to sit down.  his arm wasn't the same but it was good enough to make plays with.  he was terrible, making the same bad decisions he did earlier in the year.  his INT rate was similar from the denver game on as it was pre Den game.  the injury was an excuse for his poor play.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The 2008 NY Jets were not legit super bowl contenders.  That is the most overrated team in Jets history.  Their great run is a fallacy.  They beat the Titans, and the Cards who traveled cross-country for the early game.  They split with the Pats winning in OT and Dolphins.  The other teams they beat were the Bills (twice Losman/Edwards) Rams, Chiefs and Bengals (starting QB Fitzpatrick) who were historically awful.  Needing one win for the playoffs, they lost to the Seahawks who ended up 4-12 and only beat the Niners (another bad team that beat us/Shaun Hill) and Rams (twice).  The only teams outside the division that they played with positive point differential on the season were the Titans, Cardinals (+1 point) and 8-8 Chargers who destroyed them.  The Cardinals lucking into the super bowl is the thing that gives everyone that rosy glow, but that team was exceedingly mediocre.

the AFC was very weak as was the NFC.  if we got better QB play we could have won the AFC.  the 2009 or 2010 Jets win the AFC in 2008.

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Seriously. Trade for Brees... **** Sean Payton. To lose that much with a franchise QB is pathetic. Good QBs should set your floor at 8 wins.

Great Point...

With as poorly as the Jets have played this year does anyone out here doubt that the Jets would have won at least 3 or 4 more games this year with Brees under center!!!

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They lost to the Pats in week 2. It was Cassells first start and Favre was still getting use to the offense. It was actually a perfect trap game for the Jets because everyone thought the Pats wouldn't be any good without Brady and they were wrong. The team ended up winning 11 games that year.

The AFC was not strong that year and the Jets were heating up towards the middle of that season with nice back to back wins in New England and Tennessee who were undefeated at the time.

On paper that team was loaded. Mangini built a great team with Tannenbaum. That's why Rex was able to win with it the next 2 years.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:50 AM, Tinstar said:

If the Jets decide to fire Todd Bowles, I hope they give the Job to former Bills HC Doug Marrone >  That guy took a team Fan Favorite Rex Ryan couldn't win with and without much practice time and on a neutral site, kicked the  devil out of my Jets .  He was reported to be the leading candidate to land the job prior to Bowles , and just maybe, the Jets may have hired the wrong guy .

Go back and correct the mistake if Bowles is to be fired .

Marrone wants personnel control. Also, the report came from Schefter who shares his agent and has reported him as the leading candidate for several HC and OC jobs...and he's the line coach for the Jags...

On 12/18/2016 at 9:50 AM, Tinstar said:

If the Jets decide to fire Todd Bowles, I hope they give the Job to former Bills HC Doug Marrone >  That guy took a team Fan Favorite Rex Ryan couldn't win with and without much practice time and on a neutral site, kicked the  devil out of my Jets .  He was reported to be the leading candidate to land the job prior to Bowles , and just maybe, the Jets may have hired the wrong guy .

Go back and correct the mistake if Bowles is to be fired .

i'd be for marrone.  he's no nonsense and had the buffalo team at 8-8 without a qb.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

How is a torn bicep an excuse? The excuse is not benching him if anything. But the Jets felt they had a chance to have a great season and knew they needed Favre to do it. They weren't going anywhere with Clemens. So he tried to play thru it.

He started off shaky which can be expected since he came to the Jets late in the off season and went 7-1. The injury effected him. You can call it an excuse all you want to diminish Favre but to say he held us back is not correct.

as i see it, the season was wrecked because of schitty.  i distinctly remember the seattle game where thomas jones was running all over the place and then schitty started sending in pass plays.  it made absolutely no sense since favre was injured.  it was also in a snowstorm.  imo schitty sabotaged the game to get mangini fired.  that's why he was kept around when they hired rex.

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

as i see it, the season was wrecked because of schitty.  i distinctly remember the seattle game where thomas jones was running all over the place and then schitty started sending in pass plays.  it made absolutely no sense since favre was injured.  it was also in a snowstorm.  imo schitty sabotaged the game to get mangini fired.  that's why he was kept around when they hired rex.

Jones had 17 carries w/ a 3.9 YPC.  he wasn't running all over anything.  Tony Richardson had a few nice carries where we caught them off guard handing off to the FB but that wasn't sustainable.  Brett favre was outplayed by Seneca Wallace that day,  that's why we lost.

50 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

They lost to the Pats in week 2. It was Cassells first start and Favre was still getting use to the offense. It was actually a perfect trap game for the Jets because everyone thought the Pats wouldn't be any good without Brady and they were wrong. The team ended up winning 11 games that year.

The AFC was not strong that year and the Jets were heating up towards the middle of that season with nice back to back wins in New England and Tennessee who were undefeated at the time.

On paper that team was loaded. Mangini built a great team with Tannenbaum. That's why Rex was able to win with it the next 2 years.

Chad Pennington had less time to get acclimated in Miami.  he took over a 1-15 team and led them to a division title.

I don't care if Favre was dropped off at the meadowlands 5 minutes before that Pats game, he had to play better and he was awful.  During that week he was busy on the phone w/ friends in detroit giving them tips on how to beat the packers instead of studying his new playbook.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Great Point...

With as poorly as the Jets have played this year does anyone out here doubt that the Jets would have won at least 3 or 4 more games this year with Brees under center!!!

With Brees we would have won 10+ games. That's the difference having a stud QB makes, especially with a team like ours that progressively got worse on defense as the QB situation deteriorated further and further. 

Even with Mo Wilk doggin it, Revis looking like the Walking Dead, and other problems we've had... Brees would have improved both the offense and defense. This of all the 3-and-outs from Fitz and Geno that deflated the defense... just awful.

Cincinnati - L 23-22 (Win)

@ Buffalo- W 37-31

@ Kansas City - L 24-37 (No way Brees throws 6 INTs or whatever... Win)

Seattle - L 27-17

@ Pittsburgh - L 31-13

@ Arizona - L 28-36 (Win, the Cards suck, a Brees led offense would have kept our defense off the field)

Baltimore - W 24-16

@ Cleveland - W 31-28

@ MiamiL 27-23 (Win, Brees would have shredded them)

Los Angeles - L 9-6 (Win, add 21 points to our score with Brees)

New England - L 22-17 (Had them where we wanted them, Brees doesn't let this slip away)

Indianapolis - L 41-10 (At this point our defense has given up, but maybe plays better with Brees and better record. I'll keep the loss.)

@ San Francisco - W 23-17 

Miami - L 34-13 (Again, our defense has quit. Brees would sweep phins. Win.)

@ New England - Loss, their home field, they cheat.

Buffalo - Rex's parting gift, win.

Oooh!  Two good wins in a row!  One in OT.  Certainly that equals super bowl contenders.  When did the Fabulous Favre get injured?  Was he hurt when they lost to Jamarcus Russell and the crappy Raiders?  When the 8-8 Broncos beat them senseless on their own field?  They couldn't stop Peyton Hillis.  Remember? Favre's injury is overrated, basically he played like sh*t and said his arm hurt.  It wasn't like an injury that happened on a particular play.  This allowed them to point to the day he started sucking and claim that was when he got hurt.  

He's a gamer.  Bah.  Remember him throwing the pick that got the Giants to the Super Bowl in OT in 2007?  That was the year before he joined the Jets.  The pick he threw the following year for the Vikings when they were in FG range in a tied game in the conference final against New Orleans? The guy had 4 and 6 pick games in the playoffs.  He wasn't always hurt, he was a streaky turnover machine.  He was no stranger to having a rough patch and he wasn't always hurt.  Never mind the fact that the 2009 and 2010 teams make people think the 2008 D was better than it was.  Despite the weak ass schedule they were 18th in points allowed and 16th in yards.  That team was average. 

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chad Pennington had less time to get acclimated in Miami.  he took over a 1-15 team and led them to a division title.

I don't care if Favre was dropped off at the meadowlands 5 minutes before that Pats game, he had to play better and he was awful.  During that week he was busy on the phone w/ friends in detroit giving them tips on how to beat the packers instead of studying his new playbook.

Nobody said he couldn't have played better. But its foolish to not look at reasons why a player played poorly.

Chad got to pick the spot he wanted to go to. Favre was traded to the Jets. There is a difference there. Pennington did a great job in 08 for Miami. But Favre is a millions times bteer player than Chad ever was.

3 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

I also think Marrone is getting black balled for stealing 3 million from the Bills, when the Bills should be looked at as idiots for including that in his contract.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I know we didn't give up much to get him and he didn't set us back. But he wasn't really the backup QB. They went to McCelroy after they benched Sanchez.

He's such a high profile player that it doesn't make sense to bring him in to be a backup QB IMO. If you don't think he's good enough to start, and the Jets didn't, he shouldn't have been here.

I didn't mind the move to bring the player in. Because I felt he could help our offense similar to how Brad Smith did. But he's such a celebrity that I thought it would be a distraction. And he kinda was.

He was brought on as a backup. When we saw him stink it up in practices, we made the call to demote him to #3, and rightfully so. Was he a distraction? Yes. But was it a PR move like most Jets fan claim? No. Why? Cuz if he was a PR move, he would've started games for us, especially in a lost season. 

5 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Brett Favre, Tim Tebow and Rex Ryan say hello.

Lets see. Brett Favre was one of the top QB to play in his time. He got us 8 wins in the first 11 games before getting hurt. 
Tim Tebow was coming off a playoff victory.
Rex Ryan took us to two AFCCGs. 

Your point is garbage. 

17 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Lets see. Brett Favre was one of the top QB to play in his time. He got us 8 wins in the first 11 games before getting hurt. 
Tim Tebow was coming off a playoff victory.
Rex Ryan took us to two AFCCGs. 

Your point is garbage. 

With all due respect, and I mean ALL due respect...

You are a Rex Ryan warshipping, Geno Smith lover...

When you tell me my point is good, that is when I will get upset....

Now carry on....

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

With all due respect, and I mean ALL due respect...

You are a Rex Ryan warshipping, Geno Smith lover...

With all due respect, you're not a fan of Bowles either so we are in the same boat. Im not a rex "warshipper". I just liked him better than the garbage we have now. As for Geno, I think its clear who was the better QB between Geno and Fitz and thats all that I liked in Geno. Him being better than the Beard. 

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

When you tell me my point is good, that is when I will get upset....

Now carry on....

I don't think you should ever worry about that. 

21 minutes ago, j4jets said:

With all due respect, you're not a fan of Bowles either so we are in the same boat. Im not a rex "warshipper". I just liked him better than the garbage we have now. As for Geno, I think its clear who was the better QB between Geno and Fitz and thats all that I liked in Geno. Him being better than the Beard. 

I don't think you should ever worry about that. 

CRAP! Now  need to question whether or not I should hate Bowles! Damn You!

There s nothing clear about Geno being better than anyone.

On 12/18/2016 at 10:31 AM, AFJF said:

He's probably an upgrade from Bowles, however....

If you remember how it went down, he had an option in his contract that he was able to exercise in Buffalo that would free him.  The season ended and he told his team in the locker room that he wasn't going anywhere.  A day or two later he opted out to come interview with the Jets but Woody didn't hire him.

That tells me he was told the Jets job was in the bag and something he said or did when they met was enough to have the Jets move on w/o hiring him.  Why else would an NFL HC quit a job where he just did a damn good job and had plenty of security?

Yes, now the reaction from some will be "well if Woody didn't hire him, he must be awesome".  That's all find and good, but since he walked out on the Bills, I think there have been close to 20 HC jobs open up and I know I heard of him getting one interview and possibly considered for a second.

Something's not right there...just doesn't add up.

I'd imagine there was some collusion there among owners to not let Marrone get away with double dipping like that. 

Something happened between Marrone and Woody from what I've heard as he was the hand picked guy by Casserly first, but Woody did not like him for some reason.

May have told the owner he would only take the job if Woody did his best Leon Hess imitation and keep his fracking nose out of the football end of the business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't trade for him buy him, Woody is tight with the Republican crooks that took America over.

He should be getting a lot richer with his association with the Donald. Benson is strapped for cash, throw in Pryor

to make it look like cash didn't change hands

Archived