Jets Offseason Plan - slash and burn

Doggin94it

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Why are we limiting this to recent Jets players? There are plenty of examples of players who became much better as their careers went on after not looking good early on. Nobody thought anything of Enunwa before last year.

Sounds to me like your more interested in your agenda than anything.

We are interested in recent players because we can talk about them and look at the responses right here on Jet Nation.  If Jets fans never give players a chance, we should have plenty of recent examples to mine from, and shouldn't need to go back to the more than a few years to find them.

As for Enunwa, people may not have thought anything of him before last year, though personally, I always believed he was one guy that had potential, but, you didn't have masses of people saying that we should cut him, or that he'd never amount to anything.  The argument being posed is that Jets fans never give players a chance, and I'm saying I think that's unfair.  If anything, Jets fans as a group will suckle at the teat of any player who shows remote promise, and make excuses for them for years, especially if they're a QB who passes the paper bag test.

If that's an "agenda," I'm comfortable with it.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gEYno said:

We are interested in recent players because we can talk about them and look at the responses right here on Jet Nation.  If Jets fans never give players a chance, we should have plenty of recent examples to mine from, and shouldn't need to go back to the more than a few years to find them.

As for Enunwa, people may not have thought anything of him before last year, though personally, I always believed he was one guy that had potential, but, you didn't have masses of people saying that we should cut him, or that he'd never amount to anything.  The argument being posed is that Jets fans never give players a chance, and I'm saying I think that's unfair.  If anything, Jets fans as a group will suckle at the teat of any player who shows remote promise, and make excuses for them for years, especially if they're a QB who passes the paper bag test.

If that's an "agenda," I'm comfortable with it.

Your argument is that Mac sucks, and his drafting has been terrible. Others are saying maybe, but lets see how these players turn out before declaring him sh*t. You have been pretty clear for a while that you are an anti-Mac guy, thats your agenda. Your entitled to your agenda, just be honest about it.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Your argument is that Mac sucks, and his drafting has been terrible. Others are saying maybe, but lets see how these players turn out before declaring him sh*t. You have been pretty clear for a while that you are an anti-Mac guy, thats your agenda. Your entitled to your agenda, just be honest about it.

It's like that negative prick @gEYno won't even acknowledge the 7th rounder punter.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

In terms of flashes, I think Lee, Burris, Shell, Anderson and Petty have shown some flashes

Lee hasn't shown nearly enough for his draft position, and less so in coverage.  Lee is an NFL player, there's no doubt, but if you're going to invest in a linebacker in the first round, it should be one that can cover TEs or get at the QB, both of which Lee has not flashed any ability at.  He's simply shown he'll be an okay player.

Burris looks dreadful, and his one highlight is on a poorly underthrown ball.

Shell is a possibility, we'll see.

Robbie Anderson is a real player, and probably Macc's best find.  He needs to get bigger and stronger and learn to protect the ball and he'll be something.

Petty has shown his arm, but not much else.  There's not a lot of reason right now to think he can make the reads necessary to succeed.  We shall see, but he's done nothing that should make you think he's the presumptive starter come 2017.

56 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Name the recent Jets player that fans called a bust (or even was highly critical of) in year one, who turned out to be a good player?

These narratives are so much harder to maintain when you have to ground them in reality...

Matt Leinart 

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Lol.  Once you learn to read, we can revisit this.

Just now, T0mShane said:

It's like that negative prick @gEYno won't even acknowledge the 7th rounder punter.

Ehhh, its more like @gEYno, @Sperm Edwards, @dbatesman and you were all very vocal Idzik supporters, and your all lashing out at Macagan for being so obviously wrong. Hey, knock yourselves out, your probably right, odds are he sucks, because Woody picked him, and Woody is an asshat moron. You guys will soon get all your streetcred back very soon hopefully when Mac is proven to be an incompetent boob like his predecessor! Go you guys!

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Ehhh, its more like @gEYno, @Sperm Edwards, @dbatesman and you were all very vocal Idzik supporters, and your all lashing out at Macagan for being so obviously wrong. Hey, knock yourselves out, your probably right, odds are he sucks, because Woody picked him, and Woody is an asshat moron. You guys will soon get all your streetcred back very soon hopefully when Mac is proven to be an incompetent boob like his predecessor! Go you guys!

Don't understand how real Street cred it, breh.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Lol, the old learn to read retaliation...... Cool kid, look forward to revisiting....

It's not a retaliation, but since you've lashed out at me about things I'm not even saying, and accused me of positions I've not expressing, most recently, that I'm a huge Idzik supporter, when my last words re: Idzik was that his drafting was worse than random selection, it seems clear that something is wrong.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Don't understand how real Street cred it, breh.

Oh, street cred is legit, I bet you if you have JetNation street cred, you can walk into any restaurant or nightclub in NYC like a badass pimp and get moved right to the front of the line and have your food and drink for free! #JetNationStreetCredBitches

Just now, gEYno said:

Lee hasn't shown nearly enough for his draft position, and less so in coverage.  Lee is an NFL player, there's no doubt, but if you're going to invest in a linebacker in the first round, it should be one that can cover TEs or get at the QB, both of which Lee has not flashed any ability at.  He's simply shown he'll be an okay player.

Burris looks dreadful, and his one highlight is on a poorly underthrown ball.

Shell is a possibility, we'll see.

Robbie Anderson is a real player, and probably Macc's best find.  He needs to get bigger and stronger and learn to protect the ball and he'll be something.

Petty has shown his arm, but not much else.  There's not a lot of reason right now to think he can make the reads necessary to succeed.  We shall see, but he's done nothing that should make you think he's the presumptive starter come 2017.

You said flashes. And I went with that notion. Don't bend the rules.

I remember that Revis looked awful in 2008. CB might be the toughest position to throw a rookie out in. I've seen normal good and bad from Burris.

People seem to forget that Lee was drafted late in the 1st round. 20th pick to be exact. If he was a top ten pick, I would definitely agree with you.

I did not add Deon Simon, but I think I should have.  Not including Peake or Edwards, but they could be something

Just now, gEYno said:

It's not a retaliation, but since you've lashed out at me about things I'm not even saying, and accused me of positions I've not expressing, most recently, that I'm a huge Idzik supporter, when my last words re: Idzik was that his drafting was worse than random selection, it seems clear that something is wrong.

When Idzik was here, you were a very vocal Idzik supporter. Its easy to say now that his drafting was worse than random selection, even my dog knows that and he is not a big football fan.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You said flashes. And I went with that notion. Don't bend the rules.

I remember that Revis looked awful in 2008. CB might be the toughest position to throw a rookie out in. I've seen normal good and bad from Burris.

People seem to forget that Lee was drafted late in the 1st round. 20th pick to be exact. If he was a top ten pick, I would definitely agree with you.

I did not add Deon Simon, but I think I should have.  Not including Peake or Edwards, but they could be something

You have exceptionally low standards.  That is well established.

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

When Idzik was here, you were a very vocal Idzik supporter. Its easy to say now that his drafting was worse than random selection, even my dog knows that and he is not a big football fan.

1) Which banned poster are you?

2) Provide links.  I suspect you simply can't discern between agreeing with his approach to Free Agency and being a "very vocal Idzik supporter."

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We're Jets fans. That's all I will say to that.

See, this is a losers attitude.  One that I have been vocal against since I started posting on these boards... Just because the franchise has in general sucked forever, doesn't mean we ought to celebrate mediocrity.  

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

1) Which banned poster are you?

2) Provide links.  I suspect you simply can't discern between agreeing with his approach to Free Agency and being a "very vocal Idzik supporter."

1) I have been banned about 479 times, it would take me a week to type out all my prior names.

2) I am a world class discerner, one of the best discerners you will ever come across. I also am a world class agenda recognizer guy.

See, this is a losers attitude.  One that I have been vocal against since I started posting on these boards... Just because the franchise has in general sucked forever, doesn't mean we ought to celebrate mediocrity.  

Agree strongly with this.

You can't have Pro Bowlers at every position. You don't NEED Pro Bowlers at every position. I just want players who can play, at this point. The Jets are probably not going to be good next year either so any young players who I think can contribute I will pay attention to. Especially to players who were drafted this year. 

I will trade off Petty for Simon though because QB is a position you need to have great play at.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You can't have Pro Bowlers at every position. You don't NEED Pro Bowlers at every position. I just want players who can play, at this point. The Jets are probably not going to be good next year either so any young players who I think can contribute I will pay attention to. Especially to players who were drafted this year. 

I will trade off Petty for Simon though because QB is a position you need to have great play at.

Did I suggest Pro Bowlers at every position?

Interesting that you bring this up though, because we don't have Pro Bowlers at ANY position.

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

1) I have been banned about 479 times, it would take me a week to type out all my prior names.

I've never understood this... I was banned from JI (albeit intentionally so), I didn't come back.  What is the draw of being in a place that has consistently told you it does not want you, for whatever the reasons?

Just now, gEYno said:

I've never understood this... I was banned from JI (albeit intentionally so), I didn't come back.  What is the draw of being in a place that has consistently told you it does not want you, for whatever the reasons?

and JI was never the same after you and the other guys left.

no homo.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is actually why I think the Jets might be OK next year... Not great, not 16-0, maybe not even 8-8, but competitive... I think with 60 million in cap space (give or take) they can actually go find some guys that can play adequate football... If they just plug a couple of holes with average level players, they can be competitive... They need a LT, and they need a CB who will actually, you know, try, and I think they're a team that can be in the middle of the pack.

Again, not saying that's good or bad... But I don't feel like the Jets are void of talent eveywhere... I just think the talent they have can't quite compensate for the holes they have at other spots... Fill those in a little bit and suddenly they're much better.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

My wife and kids tell me every day they don't want me, yet every day I still come home to them and figure out an unlocked door, or unlocked window and make my way in. Its kind of a personality trait from a scarred childhood. 

9 minutes ago, faba said:

Most years difference between winning amd losing is a couple of plays look at giants this year they have won all the close games making key plays- you can turn it around if you make the right personnel moves click

And even with all those moves they may get knocked out of the playoffs next week. The NFL is cruel mistress.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

THAT's your case? That every GM blows picks? Come on. That's the equivalent of covering your ears and yelling "La la la can't hear you!!"

my case is that it's been two friggin seasons both of which didn't have a top flight qb.  running through gm's and coaches is no way to build a franchise.  i guess you wanted idzik to have another 3 seasons or maybe you want tanny back.  bradway?  and not every pick by even the best gm's pan out.  

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

Sweet hyperbole, bro!  Who needs to make an actual point when you can pat yourself on the back with your reductio ad absurdum!

Really?  I guess you have missed the 300 posts these past two weeks where I have made points.  BUT, if you want to fall in the category of Jets fan that believes in firing a GM every two years, be my guest.

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

my case is that it's been two friggin seasons both of which didn't have a top flight qb.  running through gm's and coaches is no way to build a franchise.  i guess you wanted idzik to have another 3 seasons or maybe you want tanny back.  bradway?  and not every pick by even the best gm's pan out.  

Our GM has taken TWO shots at a QB, and its very likely he whiffed at both.  If you want a topflight QB, your GM has to be able to nail the pick when he actually, you know, takes QB's.  Otherwise what good is he?

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Really?  I guess you have missed the 300 posts these past two weeks where I have made points.  BUT, if you want to fall in the category of Jets fan that believes in firing a GM every two years, be my guest.

Yes, really.  Find me a post where I explicitly call for Maccs firing.  That's why I called you on this ridiculousness.  Criticism is labeled as wanting to fire GMs every two years.

Archived