Christian Hackenberg the Jets' top offensive player ... in high school

Gas2No99

Christian Hackenberg the Jets' top offensive player ... in high school

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0902%2Fr121507_1

Jets quarterback Christian Hackenberg was the 24th-rated senior in the country in 2013. Bill Streicher/USA TODAY Sports

This is a big day across the football landscape -- national signing day. What, you thought I was going to mention something Super Bowl-related?

In the spirit of signing day, I thought it would be fun to look back at the current players on the New York Jets and see how they ranked as high school prospects, according to the recruiting web site Rivals.com. I did this last year and it was well-received. Besides, the Jets added so many new players that it's worth a revisit.

You may be surprised to see Christian Hackenberg at the top of the list, but he was the 24th-rated senior in the country in 2013. He attended Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia and was coveted by every major school in the country, eventually signing with Penn State.

The Jets have two other five-star recruits.

Anthony Johnson, whom the Jets signed off the Patriots' practice squad, was ranked 17th nationally in 2011 as a senior in New Orleans - Considering Mac's Scouting CV, it's clear why he poached him off the Pats' PS if he was "naturally talented". He chose LSU. Sheldon Richardson, out of St. Louis, was the fourth-ranked recruit in 2009. He went to a junior college before signing with Missouri.

FIVE STARS

Hackenberg, Johnson, Richardson.

FOUR STARS

James CarpenterMarcus GilchristDonald HawkinsJordan JenkinsCorey LemonierNick MangoldJalin MarshallCharone PeakeAustin Seferian-JenkinsBrandon ShellGeno SmithLawrence ThomasLeonard Williams.

THREE STARS

Antonio AllenBrandin BryantJuston BurrisBruce CarterKellen DavisQuincy EnunwaDavid HarrisWesley JohnsonDarron LeeNick MarshallRonald MartinLorenzo MauldinDexter McDougleRomar MorrisJulien ObiohaBryce PettyCalvin PryorBrent QvaleDarrelle RevisDeon SimonDevin SmithEric TomlinsonBrandon Wilds.

TWO STARS

Robby AndersonBrandon BostickBrandon BurksMike CatapanoRyan CladyEric DeckerNick FolkMatt ForteBreno GiacominiErin HendersonRandell JohnsonBryson KeetonBrandon MarshallJosh MartinSteve McLendonDoug MiddletonRontez MilesBilal PowellDarryl RobertsMuhammad WilkersonBrian Winters.

NO STARS

Braedon BowmanBuster SkrineJulian StanfordMarcus Williams

NO LISTING

Freddie BishopDakota DozierLachlan EdwardsBen IjalanaKhiry RobinsonCraig Watts.

My Conclusion: There's adequate talent on the roster and it's MUCH IMPROVED compared to the catastrophe of JAGS the Jets consisted of PRIOR to Mac's arrival. For all the critics like D!ckSpit Edwards on their high horse who constantly bash Mac 2 years into a 3 year project, the talent base isn't as appalling as it's made out to be . . . . no matter the typed out self-righteous lectures that some post here wanting you to believe otherwise. Coaching on the other hand, has earned a much more well-deserved criticism in not properly utilizing and harnessing the talent that is currently there. 

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I was a hell of a QB in flag football in the 6th grade. I always got picked 1st.

I was All-pro at age 12 in two hand touch.   One Mississippi,  two Mississippi....... ? 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I could have sworn he was the #1 QB prospect coming out of High School.  And he was everyone's darling for the first overall selection after he filleted Wisconsin last game of the year.  Kind of similar to Sam Darnold, except I think Darnold was a 4 star recruit. 

As I have stated, and many here as well, that UNTIL The Hack plays, there's no validity to the whining critics that declare his selection a complete waste. I'm fine with grooming him congruent to the way Chad was in letting him get acclimated to the Pro game and eventually see if his natural gifts CAN translate to the JETS' on-field success in a year or two as the TALENT AROUND him is acquired and increases his chances of being successful. 

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I was a hell of a QB in flag football in the 6th grade. I always got picked 1st.

2 minutes ago, TJ said:

I was All-pro at age 12 in two hand touch.   One Mississippi,  two Mississippi....... ? 

Congrats, you get points for being original comedic geniuses with astute observations and memory recall. :P

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I could have sworn he was the #1 QB prospect coming out of High School.  And he was everyone's darling for the first overall selection after he filleted Wisconsin last game of the year.  Kind of similar to Sam Darnold, except I think Darnold was a 4 star recruit. 

You are an ugly person.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

^Also peaked in high school.

10 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

As I have stated, and many here as well, that UNTIL The Hack plays, there's no validity to the whining critics that declare his selection a complete waste. I'm fine with grooming him congruent to the way Chad was in letting him get acclimated to the Pro game and eventually see if his natural gifts CAN translate to the JETS' on-field success in a year or two as the TALENT AROUND him is acquired and increases his chances of being successful. 

I get the criticism.  I think the odds are very low he pans out.  But there is something in there that made him the #1 NFL QB prospect in the country at some point.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

He was the top rated pro style qb. That I know

Does anyone follow?  Does this mean that because Hack was a five star recruit he has more talent than Revis or Harris who had three stars or, Decker, Forte and B. Marshall who had two?  If so, does that mean Jalin Marshall is better than Robby Anderson, Ryan Clady, Q., Harris, Darren Lee, Pryor, Revis, Folk, Forte, Skrine, Decker, Miles, Wilkerson, Powell and Winters?  Holy crap.  I've been evaluating players all wrong.  Either that or...now follow me here...The above is a an attempt to spin the poor job Mack's done, simply by throwing sh*t against the wall and seeing if it will stick.  This team is in as bad shape as it was with Idzick.  The only difference?  Idzick left the team with a boatload of cap space.  So he actually did a better job of management if not talent evaluation.

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Holy crap.  I've been evaluating players all wrong.  Either that or...now follow me here...The above is a an attempt to spin the poor job Mack's done, simply by throwing sh*t against the wall and seeing if it will stick.  

That is YOUR interpretation (and a contrived one at that) and PROVES all this talk is MERE SPECULATION and PERSONAL OPINION at this point in time. The SAME arguments you decide to substantiate that it's "an attempt to spin the poor job Mac's (there's no K) done" are JUST AS PREMATURE as those declaring he's done an OUTSTANDING job. It'e PURE PERSONAL OPINION AT THIS POINT since we're 2 years into what MOST THOUGHT would be a 3 year reclamation project to make the Jets viable again. 

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Does anyone follow?  . . . ..  This team is in as bad shape as it was with Idzick.  The only difference?  Idzick left the team with a boatload of cap space.  So he actually did a better job of management if not talent evaluation.

Really? I GUARANTEE (and will publicly apologize if I'm wrong) that the Jet's financial situation will be grossly alleviated once all the NON-GUARANTEED contracts of the underperforming vets are cut and you'll eat CROW for such an idiotic statement that you typed above. Do you even know WHO Jacquie Davidson is? Are you AWARE that most, if not ALL, the bloated contracts (Marshall, Revis, Gilchrist, Giacomini, EVEN DECKER!) can be scrapped and allow the Jets cap flexibility? Even Mo's contract is expendable after 2018. Get a clue people before misinforming the rest of Jets Nation with such FALSE DIATRIBE! Mac's GM record has been mostly a wash, - he's not the absolute savior - but he has restocked the Jets with YOUNGER CHEAPER talent WHILE acquiescing to the Owner's demand of a "COMPETITIVE REBUILD" (the FO's words, not mine) because the Jets play in a NYC MEDIA market COMPETING with 12 OTHER PRO teams to be relevant. I consider Mac's performance all the more impressive if this supposed mandate from ownership is actually true. 

I place more blame on the CS for not properly utilizing the talent on board and being stubborn in not conforming/accomodating to the current strengths & talent on the team (example: refusing to switch from MAN Coverage when Revis & Skrine no longer have the ability to do it adequately, having Pryor play deep safety instead of in the box, forcing Powell up the middle and not on sweeps to the edge or on screens utilizing his improved speed, not using Powell more often in games, etc.) 

Why does one even bother arguing with such ill-informed sophists? :rolleyes:

On 2/1/2017 at 9:56 AM, Gas2No99 said:

My Conclusion: There's adequate talent on the roster and it's MUCH IMPROVED compared to the catastrophe of JAGS the Jets consisted of PRIOR to Mac's arrival. For all the critics like D!ckSpit Edwards on their high horse who constantly bash Mac 2 years into a 3 year project, the talent base isn't as appalling as it's made out to be . . . . no matter the typed out self-righteous lectures that some post here wanting you to believe otherwise. Coaching on the other hand, has earned a much more well-deserved criticism in not properly utilizing and harnessing the talent that is currently there. 

1) You claim that the talent is much improved, and do so based on high school recruiting stars.  Where is your data on the high school recruiting stars during Idzik's tenure?  As you've defined this metric as meaningful, and defined the team as better, you must have compared the two before coming to that conclusion, no?  Further, how do the current Jets rank in terms of high school star recruits compared to other teams?

2) Overall, is there any evidence to support that high school recruiting stars are meaningful measures of performance in the NFL?  Your own list, which you've used to draw conclusions (if I'm being generous and suggesting that you actually drew conclusions, instead of just confirmation biased your way through something without any real support at all), suggests that Geno Smith is more talented than Ryan Clady, Eric Decker, Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Bilal Powell, Muhammed Wilkerson, and Darrelle Revis.  I suppose you're comfortable with that?

3) If the Jets are so talented based on your metric, why do they suck?

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

1) You claim that the talent is much improved, and do so based on high school recruiting stars.  Where is your data on the high school recruiting stars during Idzik's tenure?  As you've defined this metric as meaningful, and defined the team as better, you must have compared the two before coming to that conclusion, no?  Further, how do the current Jets rank in terms of high school star recruits compared to other teams?

I don't claim anything. I merely state that MY OPINION is that the young talent on the Jets team is much improved compared to what had accrued under the Tanny and Idzik drafts. A SUBJECTIVE OPINION LIKE EVERYONE ELSE'S HERE. I NEVER CLAIMED that my opinion was solely "based on high school recruiting stars" or that that factor, alone, substantiated Mac has done an amazing job thus far and that it's a meaningful metric.

The article DOES demonstrate that at some point in their still-developing careers, current players on the roster had been regarded rather well (as prospects for their respective stage of their careers, i.e. H.S., which means as much as someone wants to read into it) and the roster isn't made up of complete JAGS who never accomplished anything at ANY point. Reading this board, one would be lead to believe that the Jets still field a Pee-Wee roster. It's not a "metric" but something interesting to note in terms of seeing what others have to say about it. Nothing more or less and NOT the big deal you want to make it out to be.

I have a life, I don't dwell as profoundly on stupid quantitative date on football players as some others do here, I base MY OPINION by my OBSERVATIONS. So, unfortunately, I don't have "comparative data" as you require to validate this groundbreaking news piece.:rolleyes::lol:

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

2) Overall, is there any evidence to support that high school recruiting stars are meaningful measures of performance in the NFL?  Your own list, which you've used to draw conclusions (if I'm being generous and suggesting that you actually drew conclusions, instead of just confirmation biased your way through something without any real support at all), suggests that Geno Smith is more talented than Ryan Clady, Eric Decker, Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Bilal Powell, Muhammed Wilkerson, and Darrelle Revis.  I suppose you're comfortable with that?

No, and I NEVER claimed that it did. Get over yourself. All the "list," which is probably another typical ESPN $hitmini quota write-up, states that the players WERE regarded as talented to some degree when they were younger. OBVIOUSLY players CONTINUE TO DEVELOP and eventually make those rankings irrelevant over time. Brandon Marshall is a perfect example of that: not highly ranked and evolved into a impact player in his Pro career. Your asinine conclusion stating that I suggest "Geno Smith is more talented than Ryan Clady, Eric Decker, Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Bilal Powell, Muhammed Wilkerson, and Darrelle Revis." is DEAD wrong and shows YOUR confirmation bias and reading into what YOU WANT see. 

I am conformable stating, as I did prior, that the talent base on the Jets is better than it was under the 2 previous regimes. That's it. YOUR CONJECTURE and SPECULATION lead to that stupid comment YOU typed above and have the AUDACITY to allege that I would declare such a stupid, and obviously erroneous, statement. I never did, but you just did under your own weird transitive logic and try to put those words in my mouth. 

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

3) If the Jets are so talented based on your metric, why do they suck?

I never stated that the Jets are "so talented" based on THAT metric. It's just an ancillary list giving a history of where, at one point in their developing careers, players on the current roster were rated when younger. Nothing more nor less, and especially not as indicting as YOU WANT TO make it out to seem. 

So genius, like all things in life, it's RELATIVE and only as VALID AS YOU make it out to be. You want to use it as a metric, go ahead. I never stated it was and just tossed it up as another thing to consider, if anyone decides to give it merit, in terms of viewing and assessing the roster. MY OPINION is that the roster is more talented now under Mac, but not based on any HS Star recruiting metric as YOU claim and ASSume that I use to state my opinion. I could have worded it better, now I know.

But you really got to get over yourself on crucifying someone over an opinion which apparently disagrees with yours. :rolleyes:

The coaching staff was the reason WHY the Jets sucked in 2016. 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

I don't claim anything. I merely state that MY OPINION is that the young talent on the Jets team is much improved compared to what had accrued under the Tanny and Idzik drafts. A SUBJECTIVE OPINION LIKE EVERYONE ELSE'S HERE. I NEVER CLAIMED that my opinion was solely "based on high school recruiting stars" or that that factor, alone, substantiated Mac has done an amazing job thus far and that it's a meaningful metric.

The article DOES demonstrate that at some point in their still-developing careers, current players on the roster had been regarded rather well (as prospects for their respective stage of their careers, i.e. H.S., which means as much as someone wants to read into it) and the roster isn't made up of complete JAGS who never accomplished anything at ANY point. Reading this board, one would be lead to believe that the Jets still field a Pee-Wee roster. It's not a "metric" but something interesting to note in terms of seeing what others have to say about it. Nothing more or less and NOT the big deal you want to make it out to be.

I have a life, I don't dwell as profoundly on stupid quantitative date on football players as some others do here, I base MY OPINION by my OBSERVATIONS. So, unfortunately, I don't have "comparative data" as you require to validate this groundbreaking news piece.:rolleyes::lol:

No, and I NEVER claimed that it did. Get over yourself. All the "list," which is probably another typical ESPN $hitmini quota write-up, states that the players WERE regarded as talented to some degree when they were younger. OBVIOUSLY players CONTINUE TO DEVELOP and eventually make those rankings irrelevant over time. Brandon Marshall is a perfect example of that: not highly ranked and evolved into a impact player in his Pro career. Your asinine conclusion stating that I suggest "Geno Smith is more talented than Ryan Clady, Eric Decker, Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, Bilal Powell, Muhammed Wilkerson, and Darrelle Revis." is DEAD wrong and shows YOUR confirmation bias and reading into what YOU WANT see. 

I am conformable stating, as I did prior, that the talent base on the Jets is better than it was under the 2 previous regimes. That's it. YOUR CONJECTURE and SPECULATION lead to that stupid comment YOU typed above and have the AUDACITY to allege that I would declare such a stupid, and obviously erroneous, statement. I never did, but you just did under your own weird transitive logic and try to put those words in my mouth. 

I never stated that the Jets are "so talented" based on THAT metric. It's just an ancillary list giving a history of where, at one point in their developing careers, players on the current roster were rated when younger. Nothing more nor less, and expecially not as indicting as YOU WANT TO make it out to seem. 

So genius, like all things in life, it's RELATIVE and only as VALID AS YOU make it out to be. You want to use it as a metric, go ahead. I never stated it was and just tossed it up as another thing to consider, if anyone decides to give it merit, in terms of viewing and assessing the roster. MY OPINION is that the roster is more talented now under Mac, but not based on any HS Star recruiting metric as YOU claim and ASSume that I use to state my opinion. I could have worded it better, now I know.

But you really got to get over yourself on crucifying someone over an opinion which apparently disagrees with yours. :rolleyes:

The coaching staff was the reason WHY the Jets sucked in 2016. 

Get over myself, says the guy using caps, bold, and emojis, without a tinge of irony.

Fair enough though... You posted an article on high school recruiting stars, and immediately followed it up with "my conclusion," but I wasn't supposed to think that the two were somehow related.  That's my bad, I guess.

As for the rest, tl;dr

Much better than those JAGs that Idzik drafted. Guys like 2 star recruits Ik Enemkpali and Trevor Reilly.  3 star recruits, Jalen Saunders, Calvin Pryor, Dexter McDougle, Jeremiah George and Tommy Bohannon, 3 star recruit.  4 star recruits Shaq Evans, Jace Amaro, Taj Boyd, Geno Smith, and Oday Aboushi and 5 star recruits, Dee Milliner, WIlliam Campbell and Sheldon Richardson.  If only Idzik had paid attention to athletic ability and high school performance!

55 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Get over myself, says the guy using caps, bold, and emojis, without a tinge of irony.

Fair enough though... You posted an article on high school recruiting stars, and immediately followed it up with "my conclusion," but I wasn't supposed to think that the two were somehow related.  That's my bad, I guess.

As for the rest, tl;dr

:lol: Aren't you aware of my typing style by now? I use caps & bolds to emphasize when making a point and one is YET to master TONE (sarcastic or ironic) when typing words on the internet. I'm not as good of a writer as I am a speaker. :lol:

I post articles that are relevant to the Jets for the board to read. I threw in my two cents and can see how you correlated it with what I posted, fair enough, I admitted earlier I could have worded it better.

as for the rest, indicative of most people nowadays: too lazy to read a post that answers your question on an internet forum because it's "too long" :rolleyes: Oh, how society has denigrated. :lol:

20 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

That is YOUR interpretation (and a contrived one at that) and PROVES all this talk is MERE SPECULATION and PERSONAL OPINION at this point in time. The SAME arguments you decide to substantiate that it's "an attempt to spin the poor job Mac's (there's no K) done" are JUST AS PREMATURE as those declaring he's done an OUTSTANDING job. It'e PURE PERSONAL OPINION AT THIS POINT since we're 2 years into what MOST THOUGHT would be a 3 year reclamation project to make the Jets viable again. 

Really? I GUARANTEE (and will publicly apologize if I'm wrong) that the Jet's financial situation will be grossly alleviated once all the NON-GUARANTEED contracts of the underperforming vets are cut and you'll eat CROW for such an idiotic statement that you typed above. Do you even know WHO Jacquie Davidson is? Are you AWARE that most, if not ALL, the bloated contracts (Marshall, Revis, Gilchrist, Giacomini, EVEN DECKER!) can be scrapped and allow the Jets cap flexibility? Even Mo's contract is expendable after 2018. Get a clue people before misinforming the rest of Jets Nation with such FALSE DIATRIBE! Mac's GM record has been mostly a wash, - he's not the absolute savior - but he has restocked the Jets with YOUNGER CHEAPER talent WHILE acquiescing to the Owner's demand of a "COMPETITIVE REBUILD" (the FO's words, not mine) because the Jets play in a NYC MEDIA market COMPETING with 12 OTHER PRO teams to be relevant. I consider Mac's performance all the more impressive if this supposed mandate from ownership is actually true. 

I place more blame on the CS for not properly utilizing the talent on board and being stubborn in not conforming/accomodating to the current strengths & talent on the team (example: refusing to switch from MAN Coverage when Revis & Skrine no longer have the ability to do it adequately, having Pryor play deep safety instead of in the box, forcing Powell up the middle and not on sweeps to the edge or on screens utilizing his improved speed, not using Powell more often in games, etc.) 

Why does one even bother arguing with such ill-informed sophists? :rolleyes:

Yikes. Deep breath pal. I don't dislike you and I'm not out to get you. It's all opinion.  The fact that all the bloated contract can be scrapped, as you say, is an indictment of his contractual and personnel decisions.  It means we are overpaying and will need to lose the players we overpaid for.  That leaves at a negative  balance talent wise.  Players only opt for short term contracts if the price is right. Read: too good to pass up.  This isn't good financial practice.  It's an expensive escape clause. 

38 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Yikes. Deep breath pal. I don't dislike you and I'm not out to get you. It's all opinion.  The fact that all the bloated contract can be scrapped, as you say, is an indictment of his contractual and personnel decisions.  It means we are overpaying and will need to lose the players we overpaid for.  That leaves at a negative  balance talent wise.  Players only opt for short term contracts if the price is right. Read: too good to pass up.  This isn't good financial practice.  It's an expensive escape clause. 

:lol::lol::lol: No worries. The way I type isn't the way I actually "feel" emotionally (upset or angry)  but I appreciate your concern for my health:D. I'm coming to realize that people take each other TOO LITERALLY on the internet. I have fun when typing and aware my disposition comes across as Pyscho every noe and then but if you sat in my STH section,  you'd see I'm a pretty laid back and courteous guy.

You make a valid point about the contracts being short but I believe that's the "pressure from Woody" placed on the GM to have a "Competitive Rebuild" which leads to the situation you explained. 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

:lol: Aren't you aware of my typing style by now? I use caps & bolds to emphasize when making a point and one is YET to master TONE (sarcastic or ironic) when typing words on the internet. I'm not as good of a writer as I am a speaker. :lol:

I post articles that are relevant to the Jets for the board to read. I threw in my two cents and can see how you correlated it with what I posted, fair enough, I admitted earlier I could have worded it better.

as for the rest, indicative of most people nowadays: too lazy to read a post that answers your question on an internet forum because it's "too long" :rolleyes: Oh, how society has denigrated. :lol:

I saw you resorted to insults "get over yourself" "I have a life" etc.  So, laziness wasn't really a factor, just not investing time in an insult and emoji-filled novella.

Just now, gEYno said:

I saw you resorted to insults "get over yourself" "I have a life" etc.  So, laziness wasn't really a factor, just not investing time in an insult and emoji-filled novella.

It's my natural disposition - native of The Bronx with a surly internet disposition. Regardless, your questions were answered and I'm sure it would be worth your while to read it since you initially asked. :P

Archived