What Could 2017 Quarterback Carousel Mean for Gang Green?

JetNation

Tyrod-Taylor.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Heading in to the NFL draft with a top-10 selection is often the only silver lining for those teams and fans who suffered through a long, miserable losing campaign.  The reward is supposed to be an opportunity to choose one of the top players in the country, preferable at a position that fills a gaping hole on your 53-man roster.  This is precisely why many Jets fans are lamenting the team’s 2017 draft position.

Fresh off their own 5-11 disaster of a season, the Jets two biggest needs are at quarterback and left tackle.  Two positions that pundits and insiders predict won’t yield a player at either position worthy of the sixth overall pick, currently held by the Jets.

In off-seasons past, this would mean acquiring a low-level journeyman (Hiya, Fitz), or starting an unprepared, and possibly immature younger quarterback (Geno Smith).

IMG_1183-300x293.jpg

Geno Smith is one of many Jets quarterbacks forced in to action before he was mentally or physically prepared.

This off-season has the potential to be very different.

Many teams are looking to move on from their current quarterbacks and free agency may also give the Jets an opportunity to make a significant upgrade at the position, allowing the Jets to finally put a veteran quarterback under center who is game-tested at the pro level and gives them something better than the bottom-10 production they’ve had for much of the last decade.

Some of these names are already being linked to the Jets as a possible destination by league insiders.

Tony Romo: Let’s get this one out of the way.  Despite the wishes of a segment of some Jets fans, this isn’t happening.  Romo’s birth certificate may put him at 37, but in football years he’s closer to 60.  Even if that weren’t the case, Romo will have some say in where he goes and he’ll want to go to a team with a stellar offensive line and defense.  Neither of which is the case with the Jets.

Alex Smith: Andy Reid has wavered a bit regarding Smith’s future in Kansas City.  There are rumblings out of Kansas City that Andy Reid may be prepared to move on from Smith and either give his former draft pick with the Eagles, Nick Foles a shot, or perhaps even make a run at Cowboys current quarterback Tony Romo as suggested by both Adam Schefter and Peter King.

Alex-Smith-300x180.jpg

Andy Reid recently offered Smith a vote of confidence, but has gone back and forth on the issue of his quarterback.

Over his past six pro seasons, Smith’s teams have a combined record of 60-25-1 on the strength of is 106 TD’s to just 38 interceptions.  In four of those six seasons, Smith has also completed at least 65% of his passes.

In six post-season starts, Smith is 2-4, with offensive production being very good more often than not.  Smith’s offenses have put up point totals of 36, 17, 44, 30, 20 and 16, leading to a 2-4 record in some contests that saw the Chiefs get little help on defense.

Tyrod Taylor: Taylor’s future in Buffalo looks to be up in the air as the Bills are reportedly mulling the possibility of parting ways with the veteran who has been their starter for each of the past two seasons.  Taylor says he has yet to hear from the Bills on his current contract situation.

A virtual unknown before being named Buffalo’s starter by the since-fired Rex Ryan, Taylor has tossed 37 touchdowns to 12 interceptions in those two seasons, while completing 63% of his passes.

As a dual threat, Taylor has also posted 1,148 yards and 10 scores on the ground.

Taylor has been the beneficiary of one of the league’s top rushing attacks with Shady McCoy and a host of others pounding opposing defenses, but he’s also done it with extremely limited options in the passing game.

Mike Glennon: An unrestricted free agent, Glennon finally gets the opportunity to compete for a starting job after being railroaded in Tampa Bay by Bucs former head coach Lovie Smith.

After a strong rookie season, Glennon was anointed the team’s QB of the future by head coach Greg Shciano, before he was abruptly benched by the newly hired Lovie Smith.

Despite his solid production and outplaying the quarterbacks in front of him on the roster, Smith refused to give Glennon a shot.

Currently expected to command $13-15 million per year, Glennon has a 2-1 career TD/INT ratio at 30-15.

Jay Cutler: The Bears are rumored to have some interest in Glennon in favor of Cutler who would is a disaster waiting to happen.  After a season in which Todd Bowles lost his locker room, the team is reportedly placing emphasis on improving the leadership, don’t expect Cutler to come to the Jets.

Would Jay Cutler be an upgrade over Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg?  Yes.  Would it be worth the drama and eventual implosion?  No.

Nick-Foles-300x150.jpg

Nick Foles is due $10 million as a back-up next season.

Nick Foles: Alex Smith’s back-up in Kansas City, Foles is set to make $10 million next season which is a lot of coin to carry a clipboard. Three years ago Foles set the league on fire (27 TD’s-2 INT’s) in Chip Kelly’s gimmick offense before defenses caught up with it the following season.  Playing behind an offensive line in shambles, Foles should have qualified for hazardous duty pay as he took a beating on a weekly basis.  Never able to find a rhythm behind his shaky line, Foles came back down to earth  and threw 13 TD’s to 10 INT’s in his 8 starts.

Foles spent the following season with the Rams where he would eventually lose his job to Case Keenum after leading a highly ineffective Rams offense.

Back with Reid and the Chiefs last season, Foles saw action in 3 games (1 start), completing 65.5% of his passes on 55 attempts, throwing 3 TD’s without an interception.

While few of the options listed above would be anyone’s first (or second, or third, or fourth, etc) choice to start a franchise with, they’re all infinitely better than the likes of Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty or, in all likelihood, Christian Hackenberg.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
XMCca8UFMPY

Click here to read the full story...

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

screw off to all of them...none of them are worth bring in. Develop a QB

I'm sure thee sentiment would have been the same if the Jets had traded for Steve Young back when he was "somebody else's garbage".

I'd have no issues with a QB who has proven he can play in the NFL over putting all your eggs in the draft pick basket.

To each his own.

Hopefully the Jets have a decent QB that can win games and move onto the next level so we can be competitive and make an appearance in the playoffs no more stop gap guys or other teams garbage if we need to spend money or give up the entire draft to get one sign me up. 

None of these guys really impress me too much. What FA QB would want to come here with the coaching staff on the hot seat? We all know that unless the Jets make substantial gains on both sides of the ball this whole coaching staff, or at least major parts of it will most likely be gone. Will a veteran starter worth anything want to come here with the HC and maybe even the GM on treacherous ground? Not to mention the deadwood on the roster that will most likely be cut. I have to admit that starting all over with a young QB and cutting the vets would be the way to go. Even if they sign a Glennon(I hope not) by the time the drafted talent is ready to play at a winning NFL caliber level will the guy they sign be over the hill? All signs point too much pain for Jet Fan's in the coming seasons. I ask you fellow Jet Fan's what else is new?

the jets have been pretty close mouthed about where they are going for the qb position.  they can get a one year type vet to compete with hack and petty (and start the season) or they can get an up and coming qb like glennon or cousins and basically hand the team off to him.  of course this would pretty much spell doom for hack and maybe petty.  we'll just have to see if they go after anyone in free agency.

now here's a little fiy in the ointment.  glennon was drafted by schiano to be the qb at tampa.  schiano was launched and replaced with lovie smith who immediately drafted winston to be qb.  the bellichicken loves rutgers players because of his tightness with schiano.  any chance the patsies make a play for glennon?  honestly i don't know much about garaffalo or brisset but glennon brings the same size stature as brady and could be an easier fit for the scheme.

New year sadly same story for the jets QB situation - totally up in the air and searching for the right choice to make take a chance on draft pick or try to get a veteran that has some success but not major success in NFL

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I'm sure thee sentiment would have been the same if the Jets had traded for Steve Young back when he was "somebody else's garbage".

I'd have no issues with a QB who has proven he can play in the NFL over putting all your eggs in the draft pick basket.

To each his own.

And which of these guys do you believe is the next Steve Young?

26 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the jets have been pretty close mouthed about where they are going for the qb position.  they can get a one year type vet to compete with hack and petty (and start the season) or they can get an up and coming qb like glennon or cousins and basically hand the team off to him.  of course this would pretty much spell doom for hack and maybe petty.  we'll just have to see if they go after anyone in free agency.

now here's a little fiy in the ointment.  glennon was drafted by schiano to be the qb at tampa.  schiano was launched and replaced with lovie smith who immediately drafted winston to be qb.  the bellichicken loves rutgers players because of his tightness with schiano.  any chance the patsies make a play for glennon?  honestly i don't know much about garaffalo or brisset but glennon brings the same size stature as brady and could be an easier fit for the scheme.

If the Patriots go after Glennon, perhaps its after trading Garoppolo to the Browns.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/the_browns_will_pursue_jimmy_g.html#incart_2box

@Villain The Foe

Connor Hughes was asked about Jets QB options, said he (like Cimini) is expecting them to make a run at Glennon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/354178/jets-

Romo- pass, old, always hurt, insane cap number

Cutler- I actually think change of scenery would help him but too much baggage plus he just had surgery on throwing shoulder

Smith- system qb, I don't think he'd be good here

Foles- see Alex Smith

glennon- Yes, please

Taylor- Yes, please

17 minutes ago, thadude said:

Romo- pass, old, always hurt, insane cap number

Cutler- I actually think change of scenery would help him but too much baggage plus he just had surgery on throwing shoulder

Smith- system qb, I don't think he'd be good here

Foles- see Alex Smith

glennon- Yes, please

Taylor- Yes, please

Thing with Alex Smith is that he's now been very successful in two different systems (Harbaugh and Reid). 

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

To each his own.

With only a couple exceptions in all of NFL history, the veteran QB signing has only managed to keep teams mediocre and prevent them from developing a truly competitive long term roster. I would rather lose terribly for a year and gain a franchise guy for the next 10 than sign some mediocre veteran again and squeak out 7-9 wins. I am done with that philosophy.

Just now, johnnysd said:

With only a couple exceptions in all of NFL history, the veteran QB signing has only managed to keep teams mediocre and prevent them from developing a truly competitive long term roster. I would rather lose terribly for a year and gain a franchise guy for the next 10 than sign some mediocre veteran again and squeak out 7-9 wins. I am done with that philosophy.

JMO, but I'd say Alex Smith wouldn't fall in to the mediocre category, and Taylor and Glennon have both showed plenty of ability, albeit on bad teams.

Was Matt Ryan mediocre before this season, or was he a good QB on teams that still needed a few pieces to make deep playoff runs?

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

@Villain The Foe

Connor Hughes was asked about Jets QB options, said he (like Cimini) is expecting them to make a run at Glennon.

Isn't this what you really meant?:D

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

To each his own.

Steve Young was acquired to backup a HOF superstar QB and was slowly developed by a brilliant HOF coach to become another HOF superstar. 

Not sure which part of that story compares to ours ...

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

@Villain The Foe

Would be the smartest move management has made in a long time. 

Thanks for the update! I feel all warm a fuzzy inside now lol

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

JMO, but I'd say Alex Smith wouldn't fall in to the mediocre category, and Taylor and Glennon have both showed plenty of ability, albeit on bad teams.

Was Matt Ryan mediocre before this season, or was he a good QB on teams that still needed a few pieces to make deep playoff runs?

Alex Smith is definitely mediocre, his strength is protecting the football, sometimes to an extreme. Taylor and Glennon are most definitely JAGs

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Would be the smartest move management has made in a long time. 

Thanks for the update! I feel all warm a fuzzy inside now lol

Would set the franchise back another two years. Signing loser reject JAGOFF QBs from other teams is a one way ticket to mediocre-ville

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

Thing with Alex Smith is that he's now been very successful in two different systems (Harbaugh and Reid). 

Alex Smith would be a slight upgrade over Ryan Fitzpatrick in his first year. Bringing Smith in here now would be a HUGE mistake.

If they like Glennon go for it. I am okay with them going for the home run.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Alex Smith would be a slight upgrade over Ryan Fitzpatrick in his first year. Bringing Smith in here now would be a HUGE mistake.

If they like Glennon go for it. I am okay with them going for the home run.

I would have to disagree.  Much stronger arm, more mobile, does a far better job of protecting the football, has been to the playoffs and performed extremely well, all while playing with mostly mediocre WR's.

The 49ers went 19-5-1 during the time that Morton was on the staff with Harbaugh and Smith under center.  A system that one would think Morton will have some elements of when his offense is implemented.

That being said, you know I'm all aboard the Glennon train.

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Would set the franchise back another two years. Signing loser reject JAGOFF QBs from other teams is a one way ticket to mediocre-ville

That's what I was saying last year when Jets fans applauded giving Fitz 12 mil. 

If Glennon sets the team back two years it won't matter, they've been set back 45 years already. However, I think you're wrong and hopefully we'll find out

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

None of these options are capable of elevating this team to the playoffs. None of them are franchise QBs. None of them are worth investing years or money into. Pass. Hard. 

So basically Carl you are in favor of signing Ryan Fitzpatrick for another 5 years.

Archived