Are you ready for the return of Geno in 2017?

JustInFudge

2 hours ago, slats said:

The fact that even you admit that he sucked in 2016 is a demonstration of the fact that I was right. Signing him was sheer stupidity. 

Just to play devils advocate, in what way are we in any different position today than we were if we did not sign Fitzpatrick last year?

I mean, yeah, we would have $5m more in cap space, but we still don't have a snowballs chance in hell that we have a competitive team this year, without signing Fitzpatrick last year. I mean, it was somewhat predictable what happened last year, but I just don't personally see how we are in any different position right now unless you think Geno was going to be good. I think they took a calculated chance that he would magically have turned into a good QB this late in his career, and even though they probably realized it was a very low probability, hence the one year deal, they probably said we are screwed either way because Geno sucks and we still won't have a legit chance in 2017.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Mac and Bowles assuredly told Woody the rebuild plan ... cut all dead weight ... get the younger guys the experience they need ... find out about Hack and Petty ... if there is no lightening in the bottle , cut bait and draft a stud QB next year with a top 5 pick. My guess is that here is zero danger for either guy till next year and even then , if we draft a QB in rnd, 1 they will have a long leash. 

This is what it will take to turn the Jets into a winner . It almost worked with Herman Edwards, but management didn't back the coach . It looks from my perspective that Management is backing this coach, and that might finally be the right attitude .

2 hours ago, slats said:

The fact that even you admit that he sucked in 2016 is a demonstration of the fact that I was right. Signing him was sheer stupidity. 

IMO at this time last year it was a smart decision. Also smart to only give him one year. Because he was unproven as a starter. He had a bad year and the team had a bad year not all of his fault but a lot of it was. 12 mil on a one year deal; for a starting Qb is not a lot of money. If they had given him 3-36 I'd agree with you. It just didn't work out.  But you have to budget reasonably for the Qb position if you want to compete. That's why I'd go for TT (preferably) or even Cutler if they can get him short term and at a reasonable price. But if they sign Cutler he's not coming in for 5 mil that's chickenfeed and below market for a starting Qb. They'd have to at least double it. 

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Just to play devils advocate, in what way are we in any different position today than we were if we did not sign Fitzpatrick last year?

I mean, yeah, we would have $5m more in cap space, but we still don't have a snowballs chance in hell that we have a competitive team this year, without signing Fitzpatrick last year. I mean, it was somewhat predictable what happened last year, but I just don't personally see how we are in any different position right now unless you think Geno was going to be good. I think they took a calculated chance that he would magically have turned into a good QB this late in his career, and even though they probably realized it was a very low probability, hence the one year deal, they probably said we are screwed either way because Geno sucks and we still won't have a legit chance in 2017.

The development of Petty and Hackenberg. Instead of splitting scout team reps, Petty would've been preparing as the backup every week and Hackenberg would've gotten all the scout team reps. Any hope for this season requires one of those guys to perform better than most people believe they can. More work last year would've helped a lot. Resigning the weak-armed, inaccurate Fitzpatrick on the eve of training camp to a $12M deal when maybe the Broncos were the next highest bidder at @ $7M was nothing but dumbness. 

Just now, slats said:

The development of Petty and Hackenberg. Instead of splitting scout team reps, Petty would've been preparing as the backup every week and Hackenberg would've gotten all the scout team reps. Any hope for this season involves one of those guys to perform better than most people believe they can. More work last year would've helped a lot. Resigning the weak-armed, inaccurate Fitzpatrick on the eve of training camp to a $12M deal when maybe the Broncos were the next highest bidder at @ $7M was nothing but dumbness. 

See, I think the exact same thing could have been accomplished if they just cut Geno once they signed Fitzpatrick. Im not even going to disagree that they overpaid for him, and they let him hold them over the barrel, they clearly did.

They thought they had a real chance to be competitive last year, its the only explanation for what they did. They believed if Fitzpatrick could duplicate what he did the year before, and they could improve with Forte and at some other spots, they were a playoff team. To me, its clear they thought they needed Fitzpatrick to do this because they could not bank on Geno for a full year, but liked him better as a hold the fort 2-3 week backup over Petty. They were naive to think this.

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

IMO at this time last year it was a smart decision. Also smart to only give him one year. Because he was unproven as a starter. He had a bad year and the team had a bad year not all of his fault but a lot of it was. 12 mil on a one year deal; for a starting Qb is not a lot of money. If they had given him 3-36 I'd agree with you. It just didn't work out.  But you have to budget reasonably for the Qb position if you want to compete. That's why I'd go for TT (preferably) or even Cutler if they can get him short term and at a reasonable price. But if they sign Cutler he's not coming in for 5 mil that's chickenfeed and below market for a starting Qb. They'd have to at least double it. 

12 million for him was a lot of money. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The development of Petty and Hackenberg. Instead of splitting scout team reps, Petty would've been preparing as the backup every week and Hackenberg would've gotten all the scout team reps. Any hope for this season involves one of those guys to perform better than most people believe they can. More work last year would've helped a lot. Resigning the weak-armed, inaccurate Fitzpatrick on the eve of training camp to a $12M deal when maybe the Broncos were the next highest bidder at @ $7M was nothing but dumbness. 

That and the draft pick.  They have zero closure at the QB position because they ****ed around and got duped by Ryan Fitzpatrick and now that lack of closure has them probably a little bit apprehensive to take a QB at #6, even if they feel the player is worth the selection.  

This sh*t was so ******* obvious. 

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm just glad that Geno let us all mentally prepare for the announcement. If it happens, I won't be surprised and that's a good thing.  I don't like surprises. 

I know you don't like surprises, that's why I've been telling you for weeks that Mike Williams is going to be the pick at #6.:D

Just now, NoBowles said:

See, I think the exact same thing could have been accomplished if they just cut Geno once they signed Fitzpatrick. Im not even going to disagree that they overpaid for him, and they let him hold them over the barrel, they clearly did.

They thought they had a real chance to be competitive last year, its the only explanation for what they did. They believed if Fitzpatrick could duplicate what he did the year before, and they could improve with Forte and at some other spots, they were a playoff team. To me, its clear they thought they needed Fitzpatrick to do this because they could not bank on Geno for a full year, but liked him better as a hold the fort 2-3 week backup over Petty. They were naive to think this.

I said they should've done that, too, at the time. Keeping all four demonstrated what they thought of all of them. 

Believing that Fitzpatrick could duplicate his previous year is what made the signing so completely stupid. The man has a history; he doesn't put two good seasons together. Anyone with two functioning eyes could see that he was getting bailed out consistently by his WRs while playing the easiest schedule in the league - and still couldn't complete 60% of his passes in those optimal conditions. And the contract was completely nuts. They were complete schmucks to give him that money. And it's not just the $5M left over from his deal that they're dealing with, other money had to be pushed forward from other contracts to make the room to give him the $7M on the books last year. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I said they should've done that, too, at the time. Keeping all four demonstrated what they thought of all of them. 

Believing that Fitzpatrick could duplicate his previous year is what made the signing so completely stupid. The man has a history; he doesn't put two good seasons together. Anyone with two functioning eyes could see that he was getting bailed out consistently by his WRs while playing the easiest schedule in the league - and still couldn't complete 60% of his passes in those optimal conditions. And the contract was completely nuts. They were complete schmucks to give him that money. And it's not just the $5M left over from his deal that they're dealing with, other money had to be pushed forward from other contracts to make the room to give him the $7M on the books last year. 

I don't disagree with anything your saying at all. I just don't think we would be in any different position today if they did not sign him. I think they still would have gotten a Hoyer type guy, and Petty and Hack still would have gotten no reps. 

16 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This is what it will take to turn the Jets into a winner . It almost worked with Herman Edwards, but management didn't back the coach . It looks from my perspective that Management is backing this coach, and that might finally be the right attitude .

I hope you are right. The signs so far seem to be indicating this, from hiring coaches who are noted good teachers, to shedding salary of older and unproductive players. Hopefully, when Revis, Marshall,Harris, Gilcrest and possibly Decker are cut, and Sheldon traded, I would say Woody is all in with Macc and Bowles. If so, I would give them 2 year extensions just to make it clear to all what the plan is.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I hope you are right. The signs so far seem to be indicating this, from hiring coaches who are noted good teachers, to shedding salary of older and unproductive players. Hopefully, when Revis, Marshall,Harris, Gilcrest and possibly Decker are cut, and Sheldon traded, I would say Woody is all in with Macc and Bowles. If so, I would give them 2 year extensions just to make it clear to all what the plan is.

Cutting Decker and Marshall would be a mistake. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Cutting Geno made no sense the day before training camp. Had Fitzpatrick resigned around March then it probably would've happened. Fitzpatrick's contract stalemate indirectly saved Geno's roster spot. Then during the offseason training programs he built back up the trust of the team to the point where some if not most of the team would've been fine with Geno starting. He gained a lot of support in the locker room and the way the team handled Fitzpatrick once he resigned was the first domino to fall in what would be a chaotic season. That move divided the locker room.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

fitzdecember_zpsrsxnjyv2.jpg

The Jets, and most of their fans, looked at that 6 game stretch that turned us from 5-5 to 10-6 as Fitzpatrick going from a backup with no chance to play to our full time starter and gelling with Decker and Marshall and Enunwa who put up franchise record-setting numbers.  And his influence as a calm, stable leader at the QB position was something we hadn't experienced since 2006 under Chad Pennington, brought the team together and inspired our defense to excel as well.

And in that crucial December 5 game winning streak, Fitzpatrick's numbers were stellar.  13 touchdowns, 1 interception, 63.8% completions, 305 yards per game, couldn't have asked for more, certainly the best quarterbacking we'd seen since Testaverde '98.  For a John Idzik moribund franchise, Ryan Fitzpatrick was a great stopgap.  Couldn't blame the Jets for thinking we might be able to eke out one more year from him.  The loss of Decker and the falloff of Marshall had as much to do with Fitzpatrick's failure as Fitzpatrick himself.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Agreed.

It's impossible to validate a young quarterback with crappy WR's, just look at Sanchez and Geno.

SAR I

No joke... I like Q, and Robby Anderson's potential, but last year didn't lead me to believe they are ready to be a, 1 and 2 either. It benefits both of them to have Decker and Marshall around for another 1 or 2 seasons. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

it really was.  I still can't believe that a significant percentage of jets fans thought it was a good idea to bring this farce back.  They guy absolutely sucked EVERYWHERE he went and never made the playoffs in his long journeyman career.  Yet many Jets fans were clamoring to get this fraud.   Had they only looked at the 31 passing TDs from the previous years and seen how many were flukes and the result of acrobatics by Marshall and the rest.  Wishful thinking I guess.  So we wasted a year of potential development for our young QBs on the roster because Bowles and a handful of myopic Jets fans thought Fitz was going to get us to the playoffs without ever looking at his perennial collapses when it counts the most.  For his entire career, Fitz was a Red Zone turnover machine.  Everyone knew that.  They just chose to ignore it. 

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

it really was.  I still can't believe that a significant percentage of jets fans thought it was a good idea to bring this farce back.  They guy absolutely sucked EVERYWHERE he went and never made the playoffs in his long journeyman career.  Yet many Jets fans were clamoring to get this fraud.   Had they only looked at the 31 passing TDs from the previous years and seen how many were flukes and the result of acrobatics by Marshall and the rest.  Wishful thinking I guess.  So we wasted a year of potential development for our young QBs on the roster because Bowles and a handful of myopic Jets fans thought Fitz was going to get us to the playoffs without ever looking at his perennial collapses when it counts the most.  For his entire career, Fitz was a Red Zone turnover machine.  Everyone knew that.  They just chose to ignore it. 

You can't just look at Ryan Fitzpatrick in a bubble.  You have to look at him in the context of the team and its history and its roster.

Flash back to last July, we had Geno Smith (mediocre at best, couldn't win the starting job from buttfumble Sanchez or journeyman Fitzpatrick), Bryce Petty (raw sophomore, down on him), and Christian Hackenberg (redshirt project).  Compared to that murderer's row of quarterback excellence, Ryan Fitzpatrick was a lifeboat, a guy who perhaps could buck his trend and continue to build upon his 5-1 finish from the year before.  All things considered, it was worth the risk.  I still support the decision.  Why?  Looking at the other three, they were much worse, pretty simple.

It boiled down to deciding to roll the dice on a second try with a 10-6 team or blowing the whole thing up and deliberately going 2-14 with Petty.  And, you know what, with that schedule and that bunch of quitting defensive players, wouldn't have mattered either way, we wind up in the same place.  Trusting that defense was the mistake last July, not resigning a 31 TD quarterback who gelled with his WR's.

SAR I

Fitz wasn't going to sign that 3-24. If they wanted him back the bottom line number was 1-12. They ended up saving money in the long run because the team does not want him back. This is the market for NFL Qbs. If he had had more success during his career he would have gotten at least 3-36. Right now we could probably get Cutler for that 1-12 or maybe even 1-10. I'm not sure. I personally feel the hold out hurt the team and the player. If you have success you go with it you don't change something that works. Just like you don't keep something that doesn't work. But for Qbs you can't go with a 2 million dollar budget (for 3 Qbs). What are you going to use that money that is more important than the Qb position. Nobody last off season wanted to cut Brandon Marshall's deal to save money. We all thought he would have a good season. Now it's totally different and they might cut him, too. Teams have to make a judgment and take chances. You are not guaranteed that a player will have a good year. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz wasn't going to sign that 3-24. If they wanted him back the bottom line number was 1-12. They ended up saving money in the long run because the team does not want him back. This is the market for NFL Qbs. If he had had more success during his career he would have gotten at least 3-36. Right now we could probably get Cutler for that 1-12 or maybe even 1-10. I'm not sure. I personally feel the hold out hurt the team and the player. If you have success you go with it you don't change something that works. Just like you don't keep something that doesn't work. But for Qbs you can't go with a 2 million dollar budget (for 3 Qbs). What are you going to use that money that is more important than the Qb position. Nobody last off season wanted to cut Brandon Marshall's deal to save money. We all thought he would have a good season. Now it's totally different and they might cut him, too. Teams have to make a judgment and take chances. You are not guaranteed that a player will have a good year. 

Thank God Mac essentially only gave Fitzgarbage a one year deal

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You can't just look at Ryan Fitzpatrick in a bubble.  You have to look at him in the context of the team and its history and its roster.

Flash back to last July, we had Geno Smith (mediocre at best, couldn't win the starting job from buttfumble Sanchez or journeyman Fitzpatrick), Bryce Petty (raw sophomore, down on him), and Christian Hackenberg (redshirt project).  Compared to that murderer's row of quarterback excellence, Ryan Fitzpatrick was a lifeboat, a guy who perhaps could buck his trend and continue to build upon his 5-1 finish from the year before.  All things considered, it was worth the risk.  I still support the decision.  Why?  Looking at the other three, they were much worse, pretty simple.

It boiled down to deciding to roll the dice on a second try with a 10-6 team or blowing the whole thing up and deliberately going 2-14 with Petty.  And, you know what, with that schedule and that bunch of quitting defensive players, wouldn't have mattered either way, we wind up in the same place.  Trusting that defense was the mistake last July, not resigning a 31 TD quarterback who gelled with his WR's.

SAR I

Never mind the fact that the contract standoff kept him out of camp and away from practice until it was way too late for him to mesh with his receivers, particularly the young ones, that needed him there sooner.  The season was doomed before it started because of the contract standoff between him and the Jets.  Mac should have just walked away, but he and Bowles just had to have Fitz.  Fitzfraud's  best offer was $7 million from Elway, so Mac should have made his final offer $7.5 -$8 million max.  Take it or leave it.  But nooooo.  Mac had to cave in.  Unforgiveable.  Fitz has always sucked and I knew that he would be terrible this year, as did many here, particularly in clutch situations where the fraud has failed his entire journeyman career.   In fact, he wasn't particularly good in his fraud 2015 campaign despite a decent TD/INT ratio that season (which he never before had, being a turnover machine and all).  A colossal mistake by Mac... and Bowles too, since Bowles had a strong influence in bringing him back (idiotic "Fitz is the starter" in January 2016 long before he had a contract... :angry:)  Wasted a year of development that the young QBs on the roster needed.  Huge mistake.  No foresight, no long term plan.  Mac's biggest mistake to date and one I can't forgive him for. Front office idiots. 

No way to justify it no matter how hard you and others try.  

33 minutes ago, Stark said:

Cutting Decker and Marshall would be a mistake. 

I disagree, and furthermore, hope that 1 of them is released or traded soon . It is in the best interest of this team to have a veteran player who's a solid proven player in every unit .  The defensive Line has Wilk and Leo aided by Mclendon  .   The secondary has to have a player like with the knowledge of the scheme Bowles wants to deploy and I nominate Jefferson from Zona . The Linebackers also need a veteran with experience in the scheme and Minter could be that which means Harris stays until the jets have his younger replacement in place .

The QB room will need a veteran, but in my opinion, it should only be someone who can aid in the development of youngsters, and only forced into action if necessary .  The OL has a veteran leader in Carpenter .  The RB core has a veteran leader in either Powell or Forte' and will most likely get help via the draft . The TE position is an issue . The WR position has Marshall, Decker and some enormously talented youngsters who will need guidance .  It is in our best interest  that Decker be that veteran Leader, but his health is a concern. Therefore, until that issue is resolved, Marshall and Decker should remain apart of the team .

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

they were confident enough in their job security to go for the playoffs rather than blow it up, and it backfired.  now we're seeing what mccags really can do, and should have done sooner, which is truly blow it up and start over, though the one wildcard is if hackenberg will develop to the point where he can at least compete for the job next season.  

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Never mind the fact that the contract standoff kept him out of camp and away from practice until it was way too late for him to mesh with his receivers, particularly the young ones, that needed him there sooner.  The season was doomed before it started because of the contract standoff between him and the Jets.  Mac should have just walked away, but he and Bowles just had to have Fitz.  Fitzfraud's  best offer was $7 million from Elway, so Mac should have made his final offer $7.5 -$8 million max.  Take it or leave it.  But nooooo.  Mac had to cave in.  Unforgiveable.  Fitz has always sucked and I knew that he would be terrible this year, as did many here, particularly in clutch situations where the fraud has failed his entire journeyman career.   In fact, he wasn't particularly good in his fraud 2015 campaign despite a decent TD/INT ratio that season (which he never before had, being a turnover machine and all).  A colossal mistake by Mac... and Bowles too, since Bowles had a strong influence in bringing him back (idiotic "Fitz is the starter" in January 2016 long before he had a contract... :angry:)  Wasted a year of development that the young QBs on the roster needed.  Huge mistake.  No foresight, no long term plan.  Mac's biggest mistake to date and one I can't forgive him for. Front office idiots. 

No way to justify it no matter how hard you and others try.  

If you want to believe that the negotiations took too long that's fine, they certainly did, but it doesn't mean that the Jets scrap the only quarterback with a decent shot at success with such a brutal schedule because of an extra few weeks and a few million dollars.  Those extra weeks didn't cripple Fitzpatrick's development with the WR's as Decker and Marshall are seasoned vets.  Those extra millions couldn't have gone to a player who could have made an impact on our record, it's not like $5M was going to pry Tom Brady from the Patriots.

As for scrapping a 10-6 team for a certain 2-14 fate, that sounds great now that we know how badly the diceroll played out but last July that was crazy talk as we had escaped five brutal losing seasons with a playoff-caliber performance and saw quarterback and WR play the likes of which haven't been seen in these parts since Vinny Testaverde blew his achilles.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Thank God.  Yet we are paying him $5M for 2017.  Hmmm....

That was part of a deal to spread the cap hit out over two seasons. Something the team wanted. The Jets have cap space to field a decent team this year. But they like other teams are cutting players to get more cap room. The trend is to go with younger, cheaper players one reason why NFL careers are so short. I mean Tommy Bohanon was a starter and how he can't get a contract. I hope we sign Tyrod Taylor but you are going to have to pay the guy. He's not playing for some ridiculous figure.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you want to believe that the negotiations took too long that's fine, they certainly did, but it doesn't mean that the Jets scrap the only quarterback with a decent shot at success with such a brutal schedule because of an extra few weeks and a few million dollars.  Those extra weeks didn't cripple Fitzpatrick's development with the WR's as Decker and Marshall are seasoned vets.  Those extra millions couldn't have gone to a player who could have made an impact on our record, it's not like $5M was going to pry Tom Brady from the Patriots.

As for scrapping a 10-6 team for a certain 2-14 fate, that sounds great now that we know how badly the diceroll played out but last July that was crazy talk as we had escaped five brutal losing seasons with a playoff-caliber performance and saw quarterback and WR play the likes of which haven't been seen in these parts since Vinny Testaverde blew his achilles.

SAR I

completely disagree.  There was no cohesion in the offensive unit and it would have been better if fitz was there the whole time.  Maybe we would have won a few more games, but Fitz wasn't worth one penny of what Mac caved into.

We will have to accept that we will never agree on the wisdom/stupidity of bringing Fitz back.  In a nutshell, Mac and Bowles gave Fitz a lot more credit than he deserved for his 2015 fluke (none of which corresponded to his career performance); signing him stalled the progress of this team and any young players on the roster by a year or even more. In fact, some may have lost their chance for success because of the awfulness that Fitz brought to the offense.   It will take a lot for Mac to be forgiven for his tragic mistake.  Bowles too, for that matter since he had a strong influence in creating that mistake.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

That was part of a deal to spread the cap hit out over two seasons. Something the team wanted. The Jets have cap space to field a decent team this year. But they like other teams are cutting players to get more cap room. The trend is to go with younger, cheaper players one reason why NFL careers are so short. I mean Tommy Bohanon was a starter and how he can't get a contract. I hope we sign Tyrod Taylor but you are going to have to pay the guy. He's not playing for some ridiculous figure.

Thank you for the explanation.  

18 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

We paid Mike Vick 4 mil to not be ready, and he didn't set any Jet records. Paying Fitz 5 mil to go away is not that bad in retrospect .

We paid Geno Smith $5M to play like crap for 2 years, take a sucker-punch and blow the Raiders game, and play for 2 series against the Ravens.

Oh, and Ryan Fitzpatrick's dead money is something to cry about?  LOL  $5M to have Fitzpatrick gone is a good use of money compared to $5M to have Geno Smith ruin the team for 4 seasons.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We paid Geno Smith $5M to play like crap for 2 years, take a sucker-punch and blow the Raiders game, and play for 2 series against the Ravens.

Oh, and Ryan Fitzpatrick's dead money is something to cry about?  LOL

SAR I

no... FItzpatrick's presence and performance in 2016 is something to cry about. Mac's and Bowles' short sightedness and disregard of all the evidence that Fitz has sucked for his entire career, always choking in important moments, including 2015, is something to cry about.  The delayed and/or damaged development of the youth on the team roster is something to cry about.  The wasted Jets fans' time for another full year is something to cry about.  

Archived