Are you ready for the return of Geno in 2017?

JustInFudge

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We paid Geno Smith $5M to play like crap for 2 years, take a sucker-punch and blow the Raiders game, and play for 2 series against the Ravens.

Oh, and Ryan Fitzpatrick's dead money is something to cry about?  LOL

SAR I

But at least Geno was a young quarterback that we were trying to develop. What's the excuse for the 12 year veteran to play like garbage? How about the other games that Fitzpatrick played in that we lost? Did he blow those games based on your logic?

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dcat said:

no... FItzpatrick's presence and performance in 2016 is something to cry about. Mac's and Bowles' short sightedness and disregard of all the evidence that Fitz has sucked for his entire career, always choking in important moments is something to cry about.  The damaged the development of this team and wasted Jets fans' time for a full year is something to cry about.  

Huh? What damaged the development of the team was not cutting Geno once they signed Fitzpatrick. Last year was going to be a waste of Jets fans time for a full year regardless, unless you want to go to bat for Geno and claim he was going to suddenly not suck balls.

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

they were confident enough in their job security to go for the playoffs rather than blow it up, and it backfired.  now we're seeing what mccags really can do, and should have done sooner, which is truly blow it up and start over, though the one wildcard is if hackenberg will develop to the point where he can at least compete for the job next season.  

It's your last sentence that puts things in the proper perspective.

"Rebuilding on the fly" produced a 10-6 season and didn't hurt Petty or Hackenberg's development.  If anything, it bought them time to learn and get coached up, something that would have been necessary for both of these quarterbacks who are major projects, not some ready-made quarterbacks from pro college systems.  Petty got 4 games in last year, that's plenty of film, the Jets have the read they needed.  Hackenberg wasn't going to touch the ball anyway, he's immaterial in this conversation.

So what it boils down to is the money.  And $5M didn't cripple us or prevent a 5 win season from being a 10 win season.  It's a silly conversation.

SAR I

1 minute ago, August said:

But at least Geno was a young quarterback that we were trying to develop. What's the excuse for the 12 year veteran to play like garbage? How about the other games that Fitzpatrick played in that we lost? Did he blow those games based on your logic?

They were clearly beyond trying to develop Geno Smith. He is not developable, he is awful. He does one thing well, and every other measure for a QB he is absolutely atrocious at.

Just now, SAR I said:

"Rebuilding on the fly" produced a 10-6 season and didn't hurt Petty or Hackenberg's development.  If anything, it bought them time to learn and get coached up, something that would have been necessary for both of these quarterbacks who are major projects, not some ready-made quarterbacks from pro college systems.  Petty got 4 games in last year, that's plenty of film, the Jets have the read they needed.  Hackenberg wasn't going to touch the ball anyway, he's immaterial in this conversation.

So what it boils down to is the money.  And $5M didn't cripple us or prevent a 5 win season from being a 10 win season.  It's a silly conversation.

SAR I

This. Its really amazing that Jets fans can be so dense to not see this. Its either that, or they actually believe that Geno ******* Smith was ever going to amount to anything more than a steaming pile of sh*t as a QB.

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

i have no issue with what they did at qb last year.  they had zero options.  and mccags seems to have confidence he will be around long enough to oversee the development of several young qbs.  the problems last year were that most of the veterans sucked.  it wasn't the young guys who lost games.  it was revis, it was marshall's drops, it was harris being slower than ever, it was decker getting hurt, mangold out, etc.  at least now, the jets seem to be in full rebuild, not pretend competitive rebuild.  

last year's pain will have been worth it for all fans if one of the young qbs emerges as a legit starter this season and they actually spend money and draft picks wisely to beef up an offense that ranked 30th in points scored last season.  the team is going nowhere until they get the memo that you need to score points to win games.  sure, you need a good defense to win a superbowl, but let's start scoring points first.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

completely disagree.  There was no cohesion in the offensive unit and it would have been better if fitz was there the whole time.  Maybe we would have won a few more games, but Fitz wasn't worth one penny of what Mac caved into.

We will have to accept that we will never agree on the wisdom/stupidity of bringing Fitz back.  In a nutshell, Mac and Bowles gave Fitz a lot more credit than he deserved for his 2015 fluke (none of which corresponded to his career performance); signing him stalled the progress of this team and any young players on the roster by a year or even more. In fact, some may have lost their chance for success because of the awfulness that Fitz brought to the offense.   It will take a lot for Mac to be forgiven for his tragic mistake.  Bowles too, for that matter since he had a strong influence in creating that mistake.

I agree that Maccagnan and Bowles don't look very good right now, things may get very messy very soon considering how bad 2017 is going to play out.

Fitzpatrick, warts and all, played well enough to get us 8 wins last season.  He had the Bengals and Dolphins games won before the D and ST's blew them.  He have won the pathetic Rams game, and the 49ers game would have been in the bag going away.

Look, Fitzpatrick is nothing more than a journeyman, but he made sense a year ago.  Not so much because of the faux euphoria of a 10 win season.  But because the alternatives were worse.  You don't need to go much further than that.  Jets felt that it was better to roll the dice on a 25% chance that Fitzpatrick could go 9-7 than a 100% chance that Petty would go 2-14.  I agreed with the decision back then and I still agree with it today.  Take the KC game out of it, Fitzpatrick played the same last year as he did the year before if he didn't have Decker and had a harder schedule.  We overpaid.  Big deal. 

SAR I

19 minutes ago, Dcat said:

no... FItzpatrick's presence and performance in 2016 is something to cry about. Mac's and Bowles' short sightedness and disregard of all the evidence that Fitz has sucked for his entire career, always choking in important moments, including 2015, is something to cry about.  The delayed and/or damaged development of the youth on the team roster is something to cry about.  The wasted Jets fans' time for another full year is something to cry about.  

Your argument is that Petty and Hackenberg were stunted because Fitzpatrick was the starter last year.  I disagree.  But ponder this:

Fitzpatrick only started the first 6 games and then was benched.  The team was handed over to Geno Smith.  He lasted a few plays and was out for the season.  Fitzpatrick goes on to win that game anyway.  And then goes on to beat the Browns.  And then has the Dolphins game won until ST's blow it with a minute left.  The next week, he'd have been on a 3 game winning streak and would have gotten the Rams start in which they only scored 9 points.

Do you realize that Ryan Fitzpatrick, warts and all, and with that sh*tty quitting defense and abhorrent special teams, would have had the Jets at 5-5 just as he did the year prior?  And that despite all of his crappy play in KC and all of Revis' whiffs, if he had remained our starter for the duration he'd have gotten us to 8-8 after a 1-5 start?

Nothing to be proud of here, but at least be objective.  Fitzpatrick didn't play that badly.  8-8 with that schedule?  That's where most pundits had us, I had us no better than 6-10.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, August said:

Geno Smith's Jets career ended the minute John Idzik was shown the door.  He had 2 seasons to "develop" and instead regressed both as a player and as a person in his 3rd and 4th years.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was a journeyman quarterback brought here to be Mark Brunell, to be a backup.  Circumstances out of his control led him to be instated as our starter and he thrived.  With no option other than Petty the following year, Fitzpatrick was resigned.  That's it.  Very simple story.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith's Jets career ended the minute John Idzik was shown the door.  He had 2 seasons to "develop" and instead regressed both as a player and as a person in his 3rd and 4th years.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was a journeyman quarterback brought here to be Mark Brunell, to be a backup.  Circumstances out of his control led him to be instated as our starter and he thrived.  With no option other than Petty the following year, Fitzpatrick was resigned.  That's it.  Very simple story.

SAR I

Why was there no other option?  Whose fault was that?

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nothing to be proud of here, but at least be objective.  Fitzpatrick didn't play that badly.  8-8 with that schedule? 

No, he did play that badly.

Much of the rest of the team simply played just as badly, or (in the case of the Defense) much, MUCH worse.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

It's really not any more difficult than this.

The idea that Mac was so enamored with Fitz last year that he had no choice but to sign him is silly. Geno had the entire offseason to prove he could provide the team the leadership and performance to win the job. He didn't do it. Fitz was ultimately signed because the team needed somebody who could be the starter and Geno wasn't it. If it wasn't Fitz it would be Hoyer or some other journeyman. If Mac wanted Fitz so badly that there was nothing Geno or Petty could do to win the job then Mac would have signed Fitz on a worse deal right at the start of the offseason. 

Few guys have received so many opportunities to win a starting job at QB as Geno. Handed the job year one after the absurd injury to Sanchez in preseason. Presumed the starter in year two without competition. Presumed starter year three, loses the job to injury. Gets the job back after Fitz's injury. Gets the entire offseason year four to win the job. Gets another shot after Fitz is benched. One can bemoan the poor receivers Geno had the first few years but that doesn't explain his inability to hold the job after that.

4 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

It's really not any more difficult than this.

The idea that Mac was so enamored with Fitz last year that he had no choice but to sign him is silly. Geno had the entire offseason to prove he could provide the team the leadership and performance to win the job. He didn't do it. Fitz was ultimately signed because the team needed somebody who could be the starter and Geno wasn't it. If it wasn't Fitz it would be Hoyer or some other journeyman. If Mac wanted Fitz so badly that there was nothing Geno or Petty could do to win the job then Mac would have signed Fitz on a worse deal right at the start of the offseason. 

Few guys have received so many opportunities to win a starting job at QB as Geno. Handed the job year one after the absurd injury to Sanchez in preseason. Presumed the starter in year two without competition. Presumed starter year three, loses the job to injury. Gets the job back after Fitz's injury. Gets the entire offseason year four to win the job. Gets another shot after Fitz is benched. One can bemoan the poor receivers Geno had the first few years but that doesn't explain his inability to hold the job after that.

Yes, but how ****ed up that we had to have Fitzpatrick? Fitzpatrick cost $12M and held out.  Hoyer signed for $2M. I would take Hoyer and $10M every damned day.

40 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

They were clearly beyond trying to develop Geno Smith. He is not developable, he is awful. He does one thing well, and every other measure for a QB he is absolutely atrocious at.

During the first 2 years they weren't trying to develop Geno? 

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, he did play that badly.

Much of the rest of the team simply played just as badly, or (in the case of the Defense) much, MUCH worse.

Agree with it all.

But that said, Ryan Fitzpatrick played well enough to go 8-8 without Decker, without Ivory, without Mangold, and with a team quitting all around him.  Many pundits had us a 8-8 with a Top 5 defense and a full complement of receivers.  I had them at 6-10.  So it's hard for me to hate on Fitzpatrick like so many do when he (redundantly, I know) didn't play that badly (by his standard).  We got the Fitzpatrick we expected, that's all.  We saw him get 10 wins against a cupcake schedule, we saw him play poorly against a tough schedule. 

The Ryan Fitzpatrick body of work is franchise record 31 touchdowns, 14 wins, 12 losses, with an average yearly salary of $7.5M.  And this is a problem?  I really don't understand what the fuss is about.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

What are you talking about? To elaborate. Smith was horrendous in 2013, and was inconsistent but clearly improved in 2014. In those years Smith's excuse for sucking was that he was being developed. Plus the team was in rebuild mode. Fitzpatrick who had a better supporting cast in 2016, Fitzpatrick who was in his 12th season gave us one of the worst quarterback seasons in Jets history. At least rookie Sanchez and rookie Geno had excuses. THEY WERE ROOKIES. I'm not going to speak on hypotheticals about what Smith would've done in '15 and '16.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We are talking about 2016.  Are you sure that Tannenbaum doesn't belong in there somewhere?

In April 2015 Mike Maccagnan did all he could.  He drafted the best quarterback on the board at the appropriate time and he signed a journeyman as a safe backup who went on to set the franchise record for touchdowns and restored a modicum of respectability.

In April 2016 Mike Maccagnan did all he could yet again.  He drafted a quarterback he believed strongly in as a two-year redshirt project and resigned the journeyman backup to face a tough schedule while his two young draftees developed.

The reason for all these quarterbacks taken in the draft and the reason for Ryan Fitzpatrick even being a New York Jet is because Rex Ryan ignored the offense and protected his reputation as a defensive genius at the expense of his young playoff-winning quarterback and because John Idzik made a knee-jerk impulse buy when Geno Smith fell like a rock into the second round of the draft.  Those two men mishandling the quarterback position for 5+ years put us in this position, put Smith in a spot where of course he busted, put Maccagnan in a spot where he needed to burn high draft picks and free agent money.  You are blaming the wrong people.  You are blaming the people who tried to fix things, not the people who broke them. 

SAR I

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I agree that Maccagnan and Bowles don't look very good right now, things may get very messy very soon considering how bad 2017 is going to play out.

Fitzpatrick, warts and all, played well enough to get us 8 wins last season.  He had the Bengals and Dolphins games won before the D and ST's blew them.  He have won the pathetic Rams game, and the 49ers game would have been in the bag going away.

Look, Fitzpatrick is nothing more than a journeyman, but he made sense a year ago.  Not so much because of the faux euphoria of a 10 win season.  But because the alternatives were worse.  You don't need to go much further than that.  Jets felt that it was better to roll the dice on a 25% chance that Fitzpatrick could go 9-7 than a 100% chance that Petty would go 2-14.  I agreed with the decision back then and I still agree with it today.  Take the KC game out of it, Fitzpatrick played the same last year as he did the year before if he didn't have Decker and had a harder schedule.  We overpaid.  Big deal. 

SAR I

Well, Fitzpatrick is just water under the bridge now.  Actually more like raw sewage under the bridge. Time to move forward.

5 minutes ago, August said:

What are you talking about? To elaborate. Smith was horrendous in 2013, and was inconsistent but clearly improved in 2014. In those years Smith's excuse for sucking was that he was being developed. Plus the team was in rebuild mode. Fitzpatrick who had a better supporting cast in 2016, Fitzpatrick who was in his 12th season gave us one of the worst quarterback seasons in Jets history. At least rookie Sanchez and rookie Geno had excuses. THEY WERE ROOKIES. I'm not going to speak on hypotheticals about what Smith would've done in '15 and '16.

Hypotheticals?

2015:  Geno Smith cheapskates $600 and himself on the bench for a few weeks, can't win his job back from a journeyman on his 7th team in 12 years.  As an added bonus, he's inserted into the Oakland game very early, plays like ass, costs us our 11th win and the playoffs.

2016:  Geno Smith looks so bad in early camp's that the Jets have no choice but to draft a quarterback in the second round and bend over and acquiesce to Ryan Fitzpatrick's demands.  Fitzpatrick opens 1-5, Smith is finally given back his starting job, displays the happy feet and indecisiveness that's plagued him his entire career, blows his knee and ends his Jets career.

That's not hypothetical, friend.  That actually happened.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Well, Fitzpatrick is just water under the bridge now.  Actually more like raw sewage under the bridge. Time to move forward.

On this we can agree.

(But I actually think he's coming back this season.  League minimum.  Backup.)

SAR I

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In April 2015 Mike Maccagnan did all he could.  He drafted the best quarterback on the board at the appropriate time and he signed a journeyman as a safe backup who went on to set the franchise record for touchdowns and restored a modicum of respectability.

In April 2016 Mike Maccagnan did all he could yet again.  He drafted a quarterback he believed strongly in as a two-year redshirt project and resigned the journeyman backup to face a tough schedule while his two young draftees developed.

The reason for all these quarterbacks taken in the draft and the reason for Ryan Fitzpatrick even being a New York Jet is because Rex Ryan ignored the offense and protected his reputation as a defensive genius at the expense of his young playoff-winning quarterback and because John Idzik made a knee-jerk impulse buy when Geno Smith fell like a rock into the second round of the draft.  Those two men mishandling the quarterback position for 5+ years put us in this position, put Smith in a spot where of course he busted, put Maccagnan in a spot where he needed to burn high draft picks and free agent money.  You are blaming the wrong people.  You are blaming the people who tried to fix things, not the people who broke them. 

SAR I

I know you are just a joking contrarian douchebag like the rest of us, but...

$12M does not equal journeyman.  I am blaming the people that are failing miserably.  I don't give a flying **** what they "tried to" do.  Paying Fitzpatrick that much money was an obvious mistake and a panic move, and that is coming from somebody that wanted him back.  This administration invested a 4th, 6th, 2nd and $12M contract at the QB position and what do they have to show for it?  

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hypotheticals?

2015:  Geno Smith cheapskates $600 and himself on the bench for a few weeks, can't win his job back from a journeyman on his 7th team in 12 years.  As an added bonus, he's inserted into the Oakland game very early, plays like ass, costs us our 11th win and the playoffs.

2016:  Geno Smith looks so bad in early camp's that the Jets have no choice but to draft a quarterback in the second round and bend over and acquiesce to Ryan Fitzpatrick's demands.  Fitzpatrick opens 1-5, Smith is finally given back his starting job, displays the happy feet and indecisiveness that's plagued him his entire career, blows his knee and ends his Jets career.

That's not hypothetical, friend.  That actually happened.

SAR I

We were talking about his first two seasons. You deflected into something else. But since you want to switch topics (since you don't have a real argument) let's have at it. 

Number 1 how can he "can't win his job back" when the job wasn't up for competition at any point AFTER he got his jaw broken? Also Fitzpatrick lost the week before to NE, went on to lose to the Texans and Bills twice. He wins any of those games then Geno "losing" us the Raiders game is null and void. I can play that game too. 

Number 2 Geno did not look bad in OTA's or mini camps the reports were that he was playing well. They resigned Fitzpatrick because of fan and media pressure. They drafted Hackenberg because obviously when you don't have one you keep trying until you luck into a quarterback and plus Geno and Petty were question marks for different reasons. If Geno is to blame for his injury then Carr was to blame for his injury by your logic. 

31 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You geniuses figure this one out yet or nah?

Yes, Jets will sign Geno, he will prove to all the detractors that they are wrong. He will lead the 2017 Jets to a 14-2 record, and win the SB in 2017. Then all the sh*theads who doubted him will not be allowed to go to the parade. 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I disagree, and furthermore, hope that 1 of them is released or traded soon . It is in the best interest of this team to have a veteran player who's a solid proven player in every unit .  The defensive Line has Wilk and Leo aided by Mclendon  .   The secondary has to have a player like with the knowledge of the scheme Bowles wants to deploy and I nominate Jefferson from Zona . The Linebackers also need a veteran with experience in the scheme and Minter could be that which means Harris stays until the jets have his younger replacement in place .

The QB room will need a veteran, but in my opinion, it should only be someone who can aid in the development of youngsters, and only forced into action if necessary .  The OL has a veteran leader in Carpenter .  The RB core has a veteran leader in either Powell or Forte' and will most likely get help via the draft . The TE position is an issue . The WR position has Marshall, Decker and some enormously talented youngsters who will need guidance .  It is in our best interest  that Decker be that veteran Leader, but his health is a concern. Therefore, until that issue is resolved, Marshall and Decker should remain apart of the team .

I agree. I could see keeping Decker because he's a solid route runner with dependable hands. But his injury history says he's not likely to be on the field enough to justify it. And, I think the notion that either of them is a No. 1 receiver is farcical. It was farcical when Decker was considered the No. 1 and it's farcical to think that Marshall, he of the AT LEAST ONE important drop per game, is a No. 1 either.

Better to go with the talented YOUNG guys the Jets have, who seem ready to be productive WRs in the league, than to keep mythical guys who, for either lack of durability or bad hands, aren't adequately productive. The Jets won't be ready to win anything of significance while Marshall and Decker are the starters. Why waste the reps?

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

$12M does not equal journeyman.  I am blaming the people that are failing miserably.  I don't give a flying **** what they "tried to" do.  Paying Fitzpatrick that much money was an obvious mistake and a panic move, and that is coming from somebody that wanted him back.  This administration invested a 4th, 6th, 2nd and $12M contract at the QB position and what do they have to show for it?  

I for one am flat out disgusted that they have not found Joe Montana yet! Bastards!

6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I for one am flat out disgusted that they have not found Joe Montana yet! Bastards!

I will repeat the question to you:  What have they got to show for it?

I will answer:  A $5M cap charge for a guy that isn't here, a player that has yet to take a snap and I believe was only active for a single game and a guy who they were afraid to play and appears destined to be nothing more than a backup.  Petty only has two more years left on his deal and they were still afraid to play him.  You'd think they could at least find Charlie Batch. 

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're forgetting about the extra pick they'd have received for Fitzpatrick had they just let him hit free agency without leaving an unsigned 3 yr, $24-36m contract ($15m guaranteed) on the table for 5 months, basically guaranteeing nobody else would make him an offer. It wouldn't have been a high pick, but probably either a 6th or 5th rounder. Add it to the pile.

Also it's $12m for Fitzpatrick not just the $5m line item. The full amount they paid Fitzpatrick would have carried over to 2017 had they not re-signed him at the end of July.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I will repeat the question to you:  What have they got to show for it?

I will answer:  A $5M cap charge for a guy that isn't here, a player that has yet to take a snap and I believe was only active for a single game and a guy who they were afraid to play and appears destined to be nothing more than a backup.  Petty only has two more years left on his deal and they were still afraid to play him.  You'd think they could at least find Charlie Batch. 

I'll pose a new question for you, or maybe two?

What should they have done that would have them in any better position going into this year? Say they had Charlie Batch, does that excite you?

What would they do with that $5m that makes a shred of a difference this coming year? I mean get real with this crap. I have seen so many fans crying like babies over this magical $5m, like it was going to somehow make 17 or even 18 a huge success if we only had that $5m. Yet I am still waiting for one person to tell me what we could have done with this magical $5m that makes a shred of difference. So please, enlighten me, I want to be pissed about that $5m too, everyone else seems to be having a blast over it.

The real problem is that Geno sh*t the bed. Not only did he sh*t the bed, but Idzik was so stupid he passed on what looks like 3 franchise QB's after drafting Geno. There was nothing that was going to be done in these last 2 years that was going to change that.

Archived