Are you ready for the return of Geno in 2017?

JustInFudge

On 2/24/2017 at 9:10 AM, Jetdawgg said:

I have been stating this for some time now. Fans don't have to like this. He is a second round draft pick of the NYJ. The best QB on the 2016 roster. It makes more sense to keep him, have him compete for the starter's spot. At worst he is a capable back up, with experience who does not cost a lot.

A backup to who? Hackenberg? Petty? They are all backup quality QB's from what I have seen and read. A second round pick who doesn't get a chance to play despite a veteran QB who is a disaster says he isn't very good. Jets need a veteran QB - not too old (Romo / Cutler) - and for not a huge amount of money. Keep drafting a QB every year until you find the one.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

^^^^THIS^^^^

Says it all. Set us back and wasted time.  Plus, Mac put himself on the hot seat because of it.  He would have been more easily forgiven if he played one of the younger QBs and he failed.  But not so with Fitzpatrick. Gambled and lost.  Didn't see what nearly everyone else saw that 2015 was a charade.  

It is hard to forgive Mac for his biggest mistake of all.  

What should've happened was for us to continue the rebuild that started in 2013. Instead Mac predictably spent a ton of money for a shortsighted quick fix. 

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

A backup to who? Hackenberg? Petty? They are all backup quality QB's from what I have seen and read. A second round pick who doesn't get a chance to play despite a veteran QB who is a disaster says he isn't very good. Jets need a veteran QB - not too old (Romo / Cutler) - and for not a huge amount of money. Keep drafting a QB every year until you find the one.

Agree if Hackenberg couldn't move up the depth chart in 2016 to see the field that tells me he flat out sucks.

19 minutes ago, Dcat said:

^^^^THIS^^^^

Says it all. Set us back and wasted time.  Plus, Mac put himself on the hot seat because of it.  He would have been more easily forgiven if he played one of the younger QBs and he failed.  But not so with Fitzpatrick. Gambled and lost.  Didn't see what nearly everyone else saw that 2015 was a charade.  

It is hard to forgive Mac for his biggest mistake of all.  

How did it set the Jets back? Waste of time? Geno was never going to get a chance, Petty got plenty of looks, and Hack was never going to play. None of those three QBs had their growth stunted because of Fitz. The Jets had a bad 2016, if it had been without Fitz, there would have been plenty of questions of why Macc didn't bring back Fitz after his solid 2015. Also, let's not forget Macc wanted to give Fitz more money and more years. 

5 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Hard to draft QB's each year and not give them time to develop. Leads to roster mismanagement. Case in point 2016 NYJ. 4 QB's.

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

How did it set the Jets back? Waste of time? Geno was never going to get a chance, Petty got plenty of looks, and Hack was never going to play. None of those three QBs had their growth stunted because of Fitz. The Jets had a bad 2016, if it had been without Fitz, there would have been plenty of questions of why Macc didn't bring back Fitz after his solid 2015. Also, let's not forget Macc wanted to give Fitz more money and more years. 

You really don't believe this do you?

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Well, perhaps a train wreck like Geno Smith is what we need in light of the fact that the quarterback we put behind that offensive line is going to get hit by a locomotive 5x a game.

If after he hits free agency and not a single team shows any interest because of the blacklist, we can bring him back at the league minimum.  It might be fun watching opposing defensive linemen beat the sh*t out of him.  Plus it keeps the two young kids fresh and clean.

SAR I

If that happens Geno "Friggin" Smith will be on IR and Hack or Petty will most likely be in there anyway. Save the money(even if its league minimum) and spend it on some hungry UDFA who is looking for a home.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

At best Geno is a backup in the NFL. Hopefully not for us. If he is better than Petty or Hack it's not saying much. There is no way we go into training camp with Geno, Petty and Hack. The Geno fans I just don't get. They ripped Fitz even in 2015 when we won ten games and found reasons and lame excuses even after he played well. And gave Geno the benefit of the doubt at every turn. If he played badly there was always an alibi. Always someone else's fault.  Like I said hard to comprehend their loyalty. 

Fitzpatrick sucks, and giving him $12M when Geno was under contract was sheer stupidity. That said, both of these losers are now no longer under contract, and should both find employment elsewhere - if they can. 

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

No

The best plan for jets is to have open QB competition with equal reps between Petty, Hack, and late round draft pick like liufau, beathard, or Evans

Competition should go into last preseason game before starter is announced so any one of the 3 can step in if needed during regular season....coaches and draft picks need to earn their keep....if you think you belong then prove it.

I for one am excited for upcoming season as this is what I love most about football.   I want to see them build this team from ground up.  I hate when teams try to buy championships.  I would rather have no superbowl and a homegrown team than what the Yankees did all those years.  You want quarenteed outcomes then go play madden.

That thought takes the QB position from bad to abysmal. This will never happen

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

All of what I just said is fact. 

Again, the 2016 signing of Futz set this entire franchise back. He will never return as a NYJ. Smith has the better chance of that. You need to get a grip regarding your alternative facts

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Fitzpatrick sucks, and giving him $12M when Geno was under contract was sheer stupidity. That said, both of these losers are now no longer under contract, and should both find employment elsewhere - if they can. 

Lol. And folks here give a pass to Macc for this debacle at QB. Smith will be back. The Jets options at QB are Speak evil (Smith), Injury prone (Petty) and See no practice (Hack). 

5 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Again, the 2016 signing of Futz set this entire franchise back. He will never return as a NYJ. Smith has the better chance of that. You need to get a grip regarding your alternative facts

That's your opinion. Those aren't facts. My facts are backed by stats and evidence. I'm not advocating Fitz coming back. That's a straw man argument. Geno isn't coming back either. That would be bad for both parties. He won't even be ready for training camp. He's going to be hard pressed to find gainful employment. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:
5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's your opinion. Those aren't facts. My facts are backed by stats and evidence. I'm not advocating Fitz coming back. That's a straw man argument. Geno isn't coming back either. That would be bad for both parties. He won't even be ready for training camp. He's going to be hard pressed to find gainful employment. 

That's your opinion. Those aren't facts. My facts are backed by stats and evidence. I'm not advocating Fitz coming back. That's a straw man argument. Geno isn't coming back either. That would be bad for both parties. He won't even be ready for training camp. He's going to be hard pressed to find gainful employment

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The quote box got hung up on my IPad.

The only fact I posted was that the signing of Futz set the entire franchise back. Without a doubt that late signing destroyed the locker room, kept 3 young QB's on the bench and kept that 3rd young, freshly drafted QB from even practicing.

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Let Cutler get paid elsewhere. Smith is the best option for the Jets. A 2nd round draft choice. Coming off of an injury. Comes back at a very reasonable price. Already understands the culture of the Jets locker room as the dividers are being sent away (Mangold) and maybe more.

Has starters experience. Something Petty and Hack do not have. Petty is about the same age as Smith and has only 4 games as a starter. He is already an injury riddled QB. I hear all this crap about Smith this and Smith that. Yet there is very little substance other than he sucks.

No naming of the WR's who for the most part were not NFL caliber players or starters. No blaming of the coaching staffs who did not develop the QB position well if at all. In fact one HC probably could not spell O as he did not believe he had to coach that part of the team. 

If I were the GM here, running this business I would bring in Kaepernick at a reasonable price I would have him compete with Smith for the starters job. I would trade Petty. This gives Hack a chance to develop now. Something the stupid Futz signing prevented last season. 

This is a lot bigger than I hate/like Smith. The Jets are or will be paying players that are no longer performing here. That clearly must be fixed. The bottom end of the roster suffers due to that parameter. It will take some time to get that resolved. Smith gives them time to get that done at a reasonable cost.

Since the Jets do desire to win, they cannot keep both Hack and Petty if they add Kaepernick. They must get a solid, capable back up. Trading Petty is a better option than just cutting him. Get a 2018 5th rounder or so. Petty is not going to win the Jets a SB this season or next. He also will not out play Smith. That is a long shot made even longer by his performances. Let's just leave that alone.

The plan is clear to me; retain your own FA's. Get rid of divisive, under performing, over paid veterans. The leadership cannot be provided by them from the IR. Trade players that can bring picks to this team. 

Having Smith throwing to The Q, Anderson, Peake and D Smith will help the Jets develop their new corps of faster, younger WR's. This is an upgrade for him from the previous WR's who could not run or run routes. To me, this is the best path for the Jets to grow.

it makes them have a path to develop and even draft a new QB if Hack is not the answer. Making him the number 3 this season behind 2 reasonably priced QB's with starting experience and one with SB experience is extremely helpful. 

Wow. Where to begin? First of all if Geno "Friggin" Smith is the best option for this team we are truly screwed. His football IQ is terrible. He has a strong arm but his football sense is still as bad as it was in his rookie year. He has no touch and he has no sense of where his WR's are on the field. This has been evidenced time and time again.

You talk about dividers and mention Mangold. I'm sure a center with his pedigree knows a little something about the guy who is calling the snaps. A pro bowler like Mangold can see that Geno "friggin" Smith is friggin clueless on the field when it comes to progressions, looking off the DB's and making throws that his guys can get too. Sorry but I trust Mangolds opinion more than yours.

Marshall and Dekker are NFL caliber WR's. Maybe Marshall has lost something but when he was catching everything thrown to him it wasn't Geno who doing the throwing. Marshall even took Geno under his wing and still Geno "friggin" Smith was unable or unwilling to get in sync or have a connection.. Of the other guys you mentioned Enuwa and maybe Anderson are second line guys on a good team. The others are unproven and highly suspect.

Then you want to bring in Kaepernick I don't believe he will "fly" here either. You think he will be a leader if he is beaten out by the likes of Geno? You think Geno, who has exhibited nothing but immature behavior in the locker room AND on the sidelines will be able to handle being beaten out by Kaepernick? Not to mention it will cost money to sign both guys on a cap strapped team with a suspect OL . Why even entertain the Kapernick idea if your so sure Gen "friggin Smith is the best answer for this team? Your idea's are a recipe for disaster plain and simple. Signing those two will do nothing but hinder this team. What sense does it make to spend the type of money it will take to sign those two guys when you could have the same result with Petty and/or Hack? Who BTW make a third combined of what it will take to sign one of the guys you mentioned? Neither Kap or Geno will play for the league minimum here. That is a pipe dream.

As far as cutting the deadwood that is the only thing I agree with here. You need to realize that in order to go forward they need to bring new blood in and use this draft's strength at need positions to build for the future. Then use the coming drafts strengths to add as needed. I am not against signing FA's but they must be smart in how they spend their money. Signing underachievers Like Smith and Kap are the old ways. The old ways do not work. Why can't people see that?

4 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The quote box got hung up on my IPad.

The only fact I posted was that the signing of Futz set the entire franchise back. Without a doubt that late signing destroyed the locker room, kept 3 young QB's on the bench and kept that 3rd young, freshly drafted QB from even practicing.

Geno sucking kept him on the bench. Petty's injury kept him on the bench. Hack practiced every single day. Again, what evidence do you have that says the franchise was set back? No Fitz in 2016 would make 2017 different how? Geno would still be gone and the QB situation would be almost exactly what it is now. It's a net zero. 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

damn you joe namath and your deal with the devil

. It reminds me of that movie Little Nicky. Marino is begging the Devil(Harvey Keitel) please just let me win one. "Sorry Dan I'm a Jets Fan" The Devil says. No wonder why we're screwed! I friggin hate Adam Sandler!

44 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I agree it was not Macc who set Petty or Hack back....it was our coaches.  They plain neglected to coach them.

Below is a story from that genius at daily news praising patullo.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-kevin-patullo-jets-guy-article-1.2502592

Tell me does that sound like a coach who I dunno maybe stood out on practice field while Petty threw in rain, or maybe watched Hack footwork, or did anything with these 2 pups to help them?  No patullo sounds like a glorified admin and the coaching staff was 1000% helping Fitz.

55 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree if Hackenberg couldn't move up the depth chart in 2016 to see the field that tells me he flat out sucks.

wouldn't you rather see it with your own eyes first, before making any conclusions?  Anyway, your hypothesis will be tested this summer and maybe fall when we get to find out for ourselves.  Somehow Im not salivating with anticipation. :)

55 minutes ago, slats said:

Fitz was good in 2015 and deserved that contract. $12 mil on a one year deal is no big deal. He sucked in 2016 and deserved to be cut. You were wrong last year. 

12 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Wow. Where to begin? First of all if Geno "Friggin" Smith is the best option for this team we are truly screwed. His football IQ is terrible. He has a strong arm but his football sense is still as bad as it was in his rookie year. He has no touch and he has no sense of where his WR's are on the field. This has been evidenced time and time again.

You talk about dividers and mention Mangold. I'm sure a center with his pedigree knows a little something about the guy who is calling the snaps. A pro bowler like Mangold can see that Geno "friggin" Smith is friggin clueless on the field when it comes to progressions, looking off the DB's and making throws that his guys can get too. Sorry but I trust Mangolds opinion more than yours.

Marshall and Dekker are NFL caliber WR's. Maybe Marshall has lost something but when he was catching everything thrown to him it wasn't Geno who doing the throwing. Marshall even took Geno under his wing and still Geno "friggin" Smith was unable or unwilling to get in sync or have a connection.. Of the other guys you mentioned Enuwa and maybe Anderson are second line guys on a good team. The others are unproven and highly suspect.

Then you want to bring in Kaepernick I don't believe he will "fly" here either. You think he will be a leader if he is beaten out by the likes of Geno? You think Geno, who has exhibited nothing but immature behavior in the locker room AND on the sidelines will be able to handle being beaten out by Kaepernick? Not to mention it will cost money to sign both guys on a cap strapped team with a suspect OL . Why even entertain the Kapernick idea if your so sure Gen "friggin Smith is the best answer for this team? Your idea's are a recipe for disaster plain and simple. Signing those two will do nothing but hinder this team. What sense does it make to spend the type of money it will take to sign those two guys when you could have the same result with Petty and/or Hack? Who BTW make a third combined of what it will take to sign one of the guys you mentioned? Neither Kap or Geno will play for the league minimum here. That is a pipe dream.

As far as cutting the deadwood that is the only thing I agree with here. You need to realize that in order to go forward they need to bring new blood in and use this draft's strength at need positions to build for the future. Then use the coming drafts strengths to add as needed. I am not against signing FA's but they must be smart in how they spend their money. Signing underachievers Like Smith and Kap are the old ways. The old ways do not work. Why can't people see that?

Lol. Thanks for your drop here.

Yes. Because Smith is the best option right now the Jets are in very bad shape. He is a reasonably priced option for the Jets. The GM has mismanaged the cap with some of his signings. It is Better to fix as many issues concurrently as possible. Since no QB will deliver a SB to the Jets in the next two seasons signing one for big dollars and wishing is not going to happen.

Mangold wanted Futz as the QB last season. He was at a point here in his career where he wanted to win now. That action tore the locker room apart. Futz was given a job instead of earning a job here. He never practiced and obtained chemistry with the players. Smith was here and was working his tail off. The signing of Futz was a major disruption and should have. Ever happened. A solid GM would have let that guy walk. 

BM and Decker also wanted Futz as they are win now vets. Not sure about BM taking Smith under his wing though. Tell me how you would feel if you worked your tail off and the FO hands your job over to a guy who just signs up and is named starter? With no chemistry built with the current squad at all. Decker was IR'd most of last season. Better to get rid of him early than late. 

Sure, The Q and the others may be second line guys. How about finding that out now, whenyou are not yet even a contender? How about having certainties at the WR position? How about developing those players with reps I live games? If they stay second tier players, that is good cause you now know what is needed in FA or the draft to get you to the next level. 

Kaepernick again is low cost option for the Jets. I don't know what crime he is guilty of? Can you name that for me? Arm chair patriots should not be hard on other Americans who peacefully exercise their rights as an American. Too much intolerance of others is a real issue I this nation. If we are to be great again, then we have to allow others to enjoy their freedoms as Americans. 

Signing both of them and trading Petty upgrades the QB position in a huge manner. Both are better than two QB's under contract and should come a t a reasonable cost. Kaepernick was a good team player in SF last season. I don't see why he would change that. The Jets need to upgrade at the QB position. This would also allow them to develop Hack. An all around win for this franchise.

Your last paragraph: please tell me who gives the Jets a better chance of winning any games this season, Smith/Kaepernick or Petty/Hack?

32 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Geno sucking kept him on the bench. Petty's injury kept him on the bench. Hack practiced every single day. Again, what evidence do you have that says the franchise was set back? No Fitz in 2016 would make 2017 different how? Geno would still be gone and the QB situation would be almost exactly what it is now. It's a net zero. 

You my friend are lost. No wonder you wanted Futz last year.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz was good in 2015 and deserved that contract. $12 mil on a one year deal is no big deal. He sucked in 2016 and deserved to be cut. You were wrong last year. 

He deserved a contract up until May 2016. If a team is not set at QB by OTA's and it is your starter then it is time to move on from him. 

24 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I agree it was not Macc who set Petty or Hack back....it was our coaches.  They plain neglected to coach them.

Below is a story from that genius at daily news praising patullo.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-kevin-patullo-jets-guy-article-1.2502592

Tell me does that sound like a coach who I dunno maybe stood out on practice field while Petty threw in rain, or maybe watched Hack footwork, or did anything with these 2 pups to help them?  No patullo sounds like a glorified admin and the coaching staff was 1000% helping Fitz.

Macc put 4 QB's on the roster. How does he get a pass?

54 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Carl Geno Smith will be on an NFL team in 2017 Ryan Fitzpatrick wont be. 

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

wouldn't you rather see it with your own eyes first, before making any conclusions?  Anyway, your hypothesis will be tested this summer and maybe fall when we get to find out for ourselves.  Somehow Im not salivating with anticipation. :)

Im hoping Christian Hackenberg is the next Tom Brady. 

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

He deserved a contract up until May 2016. If a team is not set at QB by OTA's and it is your starter then it is time to move on from him. 

He never deserved 12 million dollars from the Jets. 5-8 million dollars was a fair number for him. If not sign Hoyer and let him compete with Geno and Petty for the job. 

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

Macc put 4 QB's on the roster. How does he get a pass?

Give me a break....an NFL coach can only coach 1 QB a season?   These guys run QB clinics in off-season and when they are eventually fired....they turn away 4 QB from their clinic because it too many?

Didn't matter if there was 1 or 4 QB on roster anyway...only 1 got attention...how did Geno look in preseason?  Looked pretty lost to me...which wasnt surprising to me but at least he got their full attention until Fitz signed.

U think belicheat only teaches Brady? Why do the pats keep getting these trade deals for all these QB's that go thru their system?

15 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

You my friend are lost. No wonder you wanted Futz last year.

I'm not your friend and I'm certainly not lost. Again, you're transferring blame on me when Bowles named him starter without a contract and Macc signed him. You're upset with the wrong people. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Carl Geno Smith will be on an NFL team in 2017 Ryan Fitzpatrick wont be. 

Im hoping Christian Hackenberg is the next Tom Brady. 

We'll see. I wouldn't better on either of your opinions. 

31 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Give me a break....an NFL coach can only coach 1 QB a season?   These guys run QB clinics in off-season and when they are eventually fired....they turn away 4 QB from their clinic because it too many?

Didn't matter if there was 1 or 4 QB on roster anyway...only 1 got attention...how did Geno look in preseason?  Looked pretty lost to me...which wasnt surprising to me but at least he got their full attention until Fitz signed.

U think belicheat only teaches Brady? Why do the pats keep getting these trade deals for all these QB's that go thru their system?

That was not the only part of the roster that was mismanaged by Macc. 4 DT's as starters. No FB. No NFL TE but had 4 on the roster. Had the coach run a 4/3 scheme with a 3/4 LB'er corps. Please man, gimme a break here.

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

That was not the only part of the roster that was mismanaged by Macc. 4 DT's as starters. No FB. No NFL TE but had 4 on the roster. Had the coach run a 4/3 scheme with a 3/4 LB'er corps. Please man, gimme a break here.

So after 1 failed aurguement you trying some other angle

32 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm not your friend and I'm certainly not lost. Again, you're transferring blame on me when Bowles named him starter without a contract and Macc signed him. You're upset with the wrong people. 

We'll see. I wouldn't better on either of your opinions. 

I am not upset. Also I am really a good friend?

Archived