Are you ready for the return of Geno in 2017?

JustInFudge

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

The real problem is that Geno sh*t the bed. Not only did he sh*t the bed, but Idzik was so stupid he passed on what looks like 3 franchise QB's after drafting Geno. There was nothing that was going to be done in these last 2 years that was going to change that.

PREACH...

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NoBowles said:

I'll pose a new question for you, or maybe two?

What should they have done that would have them in any better position going into this year? Say they had Charlie Batch, does that excite you?

What would they do with that $5m that makes a shred of a difference this coming year? I mean get real with this crap. I have seen so many fans crying like babies over this magical $5m, like it was going to somehow make 17 or even 18 a huge success if we only had that $5m. Yet I am still waiting for one person to tell me what we could have done with this magical $5m that makes a shred of difference. So please, enlighten me, I want to be pissed about that $5m too, everyone else seems to be having a blast over it.

The real problem is that Geno sh*t the bed. Not only did he sh*t the bed, but Idzik was so stupid he passed on what looks like 3 franchise QB's after drafting Geno. There was nothing that was going to be done in these last 2 years that was going to change that.

Do you want to be excited or do you want to win?  Of course that $5M makes a difference.  That is more than half of Mangold's salary.  More than that, overpaying for Fitzpatrick in 2016 by at least $4M is emblematic of the actual problem.  They bid against themselves and paid more than they had to for - Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, Harris, Wilkerson, Powell and Winters.  You can argue that they had to pay that much for one or two of those guys, but all of them?  The real problem is that they have sh*t at QB and no indication that there is any hope for improvement in 2017. 

*As an aside, who are these "what looks like 3 franchise QB's" that Idzik passed on after drafting Geno?  Bridgewater and Carr I will give you.  Who else?  Do you like Glennon that much?  Garroppolo?  Barkley?  Savage?  Or are you a Zach Mettenberger man? 

1 minute ago, Stark said:

PREACH...

Its funny becasue I see so many posts crying over $5m and crying over 4th, 5th, 6th round draft picks. Yet those same posters who cry and scream about it, said nothing about Idzik passing on those 3 QB's. In fact, they praised his plan. I guess Idzik had a great plan, lets draft a sh*tty QB in the 2nd round and then pass on 3 good ones the next year. 

Talk about missing the forrest through the trees.....

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I will repeat the question to you:  What have they got to show for it?

I will answer:  A $5M cap charge for a guy that isn't here, a player that has yet to take a snap and I believe was only active for a single game and a guy who they were afraid to play and appears destined to be nothing more than a backup.  Petty only has two more years left on his deal and they were still afraid to play him.  You'd think they could at least find Charlie Batch. 

There's only one Charlie Batch

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you want to be excited or do you want to win?  Of course that $5M makes a difference.  That is more than half of Mangold's salary.  More than that, overpaying for Fitzpatrick in 2016 by at least $4M is emblematic of the actual problem.  They bid against themselves and paid more than they had to for - Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, Harris, Wilkerson, Powell and Winters.  You can argue that they had to pay that much for one or two of those guys, but all of them?  The real problem is that they have sh*t at QB and no indication that there is any hope for improvement in 2017. 

*As an aside, who are these "what looks like 3 franchise QB's" that Idzik passed on after drafting Geno?  Bridgewater and Carr I will give you.  Who else?  Do you like Glennon that much?  Garroppolo?  Barkley?  Savage?  Or are you a Zach Mettenberger man? 

I want to win, and you, and everyone else is yet to show me how that $5m makes us a winner this year. Are you claiming we could have and would have kept Mangold?? And that makes us a winner this year, without a QB??

I think the strategy of trying to compete in 15 and 16 while rebuilding was utterly ******* stupid, and they should have just totally tanked and rebuilt the right way. But IMO that was a Woody initiative, not a Mac call. I think Mac is trying to adhere to what his stupid ******* ass hat boss wanted, and has been stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Woody finally gave a GM the ability do tear it down and rebuild, but unfortunately he insisted on hiring a GM that would accept a moron ass hat baby as a HC and nobody wanted the job. So we got stuck with Idzik who is the only one dumb enough to work with the moron HC. The rest is history, the GM was so inept that its not even funny, and the new GM was told to use his money and compete now.

Carr, Garroppolo and Bridgewater all look like legit QB's to me. Garappolo is a bit of a wild card in that all Patriot QBs generally look great, but I loved him coming out of college too.

1 hour ago, August said:

But at least Geno was a young quarterback that we were trying to develop. What's the excuse for the 12 year veteran to play like garbage? How about the other games that Fitzpatrick played in that we lost? Did he blow those games based on your logic?

I think sh*tz play the year before was him playing above his head. The real sh*tz was what we saw last season. I am no fan of sh*tz but if Geno "friggin" Smith doesn't get a broken jaw for being an immature a-hole sh*tz never see's the field maybe. He was signed to be the back-up that season and mentor Geno in Gaileys offense. Who knows what would have happened if Geno"friggin" Smith showed some character and leadership and didn't get literally knocked the **** out?

33 minutes ago, August said:

We were talking about his first two seasons. You deflected into something else. But since you want to switch topics (since you don't have a real argument) let's have at it. 

Number 1 how can he "can't win his job back" when the job wasn't up for competition at any point AFTER he got his jaw broken? Also Fitzpatrick lost the week before to NE, went on to lose to the Texans and Bills twice. He wins any of those games then Geno "losing" us the Raiders game is null and void. I can play that game too.

Number 2 Geno did not look bad in OTA's or mini camps the reports were that he was playing well. They resigned Fitzpatrick because of fan and media pressure. They drafted Hackenberg because obviously when you don't have one you keep trying until you luck into a quarterback and plus Geno and Petty were question marks for different reasons. If Geno is to blame for his injury then Carr was to blame for his injury by your logic. 

I'm not trying to switch topics.  There is no reason to have this discussion, that's all.  Geno Smith was healthy for 16 weeks in 2015 and was perfectly healthy in 2016 and in neither instance did Bowles or Maccagnan view him as an option until Fitzpatrick sh*t the bed very badly. 

Tim Tebow was shown more respect than this.  Speaks volumes about what your head coach and GM think of your favorite second round bust.  Listen to them.  They're telling you what you need to know.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Its funny becasue I see so many posts crying over $5m and crying over 4th, 5th, 6th round draft picks. Yet those same posters who cry and scream about it, said nothing about Idzik passing on those 3 QB's. In fact, they praised his plan. I guess Idzik had a great plan, lets draft a sh*tty QB in the 2nd round and then pass on 3 good ones the next year. 

Talk about missing the forrest through the trees.....

Yup.

And let's talk about a guy who cost us $7.5M per year and had one fantastic season and ignore guys like Richardson, Revis, Wilkerson, Harris, and a bunch of others who didn't give any effort at all and cost us a hell of a lot more than $7.5M in the process.

And these same geniuses tell us that Mark Sanchez wasn't worth investing in back in 2012.  That's the real story here.  Those who wanted Sanchez gone?  Boy did they get what they deserved.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yup.

And let's talk about a guy who cost us $7.5M per year and had one fantastic season and ignore guys like Richardson, Revis, Wilkerson, Harris, and a bunch of others who didn't give any effort at all and cost us a hell of a lot more than $7.5M in the process.

And these same geniuses tell us that Mark Sanchez wasn't worth investing in back in 2012.  That's the real story here.  Those who wanted Sanchez gone?  Boy did they get what they deserved.

SAR I

I can't imagine where we'd be if we only had the Cowboy's 3rd string QB right now.

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm not trying to switch topics.  There is no reason to have this discussion, that's all.  Geno Smith was healthy for 16 weeks in 2015 and was perfectly healthy in 2016 and in neither instance did Bowles or Maccagnan view him as an option until Fitzpatrick sh*t the bed very badly. 

Tim Tebow was shown more respect than this.  Speaks volumes about what your head coach and GM think of your favorite second round bust.  Listen to them.  They're telling you what you need to know.

SAR I

Not too mention when Minnesota lost their starting quarterback, Dallas lost their starting quarterbach....no one wanted poor Geno - we could not give him away

but there were reports that Minn wanted Petty and Macc said no.

14 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I can't imagine where we'd be if we only had the Cowboy's 3rd string QB right now.

It's not about right now.  It's about where we might have been if we had paid a little more attention to our 22 year old college junior instead of tossing him and his 4 playoff wins out the window.

Five years later, history shows we made a mistake as we didn't improve by his absence.  Don't draft Geno Smith, don't toy with Tim Tebow, don't mess with his confidence, get him a real offensive coordinator, get him some real WR's.  He's not on the field in the 4th quarter of a preseason game, he doesn't get injured, who knows what he might have become.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Not too mention when Minnesota lost their starting quarterback, Dallas lost their starting quarterbach....no one wanted poor Geno - we could not give him away

but there were reports that Minn wanted Petty and Macc said no.

Where the hell did you hear that?

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yup.

SAR I

The Jets overpaid Harris and Revis, so we can't complain about them overpaying Fitzpatrick?  I get it now!  You don't average out his seasons either, that is bullsh*t.  He cost $12M.  Who the **** would have paid that guy $12M? 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Jets overpaid Harris and Revis, so we can't complain about them overpaying Fitzpatrick?  I get it now!  You don't average out his seasons either, that is bullsh*t.  He cost $12M.  Who the **** would have paid that guy $12M? 

There were rumors about Geno and Petty to Minny before Bradford was traded there. It was written about in a few spots. 

12 millions dollars to Fitz last season made him the 24th highest paid QB. Any starter below him was on a rookie deal or named RGIII. 12 million was good value, as hard as it is to fathom. It was cheap.  

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000726166/article/fitzpatrick-returns-to-lead-jets-past-skidding-ravens

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is a Geno thread. Geno wasn't healthy for 16 weeks. And also Fitzpatrick was playing well so the coach didn't feel the need to make a switch. The coach gave Fitzpatrick chances to redeem himself before finally making a switch. Bowles is stubborn considering how he handled other players who struggled and how he refused to bench them either. If the way he handled Geno "speaks volumes" then does this apply to Petty and Hackenberg too? Tebow has nothing to do with anything we're talking about.

2 hours ago, Stark said:

I wonder what Jet fans were saying about these prospects leading up to their drafting .   Geno Smith was thought of as a sure 1st round pick until the last few months before the draft when evaluators started taking a closer look at his game tape . The same thing has happened to just about every prospect at every position on a football team. Presently, Mike Mayock has his top 5 at every position out, but you can best guarantee that when the draft gets here, his ranking will look different and between now and then, not a single game will be played .

1 hour ago, August said:

This is a Geno thread. Geno wasn't healthy for 16 weeks. And also Fitzpatrick was playing well so the coach didn't feel the need to make a switch. The coach gave Fitzpatrick chances to redeem himself before finally making a switch. Bowles is stubborn considering how he handled other players who struggled and how he refused to bench them either. If the way he handled Geno "speaks volumes" then does this apply to Petty and Hackenberg too? Tebow has nothing to do with anything we're talking about.

He's blacklisted.  There is no reason to discuss him.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's not about right now.  It's about where we might have been if we had paid a little more attention to our 22 year old college junior instead of tossing him and his 4 playoff wins out the window.

Five years later, history shows we made a mistake as we didn't improve by his absence.  Don't draft Geno Smith, don't toy with Tim Tebow, don't mess with his confidence, get him a real offensive coordinator, get him some real WR's.  He's not on the field in the 4th quarter of a preseason game, he doesn't get injured, who knows what he might have become.

SAR I

ever since parcells came this team has been predominantly about defense.  all the head coaches were former defensive guys.  going back to 2002, the jets have drafted 17 players in the first round - only 4 on offense:  2 offensive linemen (mangold/brick), one TE (keller), one QB (sanchez).  the other 13 players were defense.  going back to 2002, the jets have drafted 13 players in the 3rd round - only 3 on offense:  1 TE (chris baker)and 2 RBs (greene and askew).  this team has all but ignored the concept and need to draft and develop offensive players.  it's astounding how many of the jets skill players over the past decade have had to be imported.  as the league continues to change the rules to make it easier to score, the jets all but ignore that side of the ball in the 1st and 3rd rounds of the draft.  

more than any one player or coach, the overall philosophy of this team needs to change.  this team needs to get in the 21st century and dedicate cap space and draft picks to offensive players.  the model of winning mostly on defense is too difficult to construct, you need to hit on guys like von miller a few times.  i hope mccagnan is the guy, he seems to talk about developing qbs, he did find robbie anderson out of nowhere and picking up jenkins was a low-risk move as well.  so at least he seems to be trying to find guys who can help the offense.  but until this team - not this regime, the team - actually uses a first round pick on an offensive player it will continue to be the perception around the league and among jet fans that this team is still more focused on trying to stop tom brady than they are trying to compete with the other teams in the afc.  i have gone on record numerous times on this board about how we will pine for a guy like marcus lattimore, then complain endlessly when the team that took leonard fournette just steamrolled them.   it doesn't matter if the jets don't have a clear franchise qb yet.  that logic is backwards.  the logic should be, let's give hackenberg or trubisky or whoever - let's give him a real TE, let's give him a power running game.  no qb will succeed if they keep overloading on defensive picks and use FA and some 2nd and 4th round picks to 'address the offense'.   

4 hours ago, Hungarian Howitzer said:

Smith is not very good but neither are our options. I assume you propose drafting a QB. How can you blame a guy for trying to make something out of nothing in his first start in forever? 

When the one problem that lead to most of his mistakes was trying to make something out of nothing instead of living to play another down.  That's how. 

7 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Yes, Jets will sign Geno, he will prove to all the detractors that they are wrong. He will lead the 2017 Jets to a 14-2 record, and win the SB in 2017. Then all the sh*theads who doubted him will not be allowed to go to the parade. 

You forgot to add that Geno will cure Cancer, Fix Social Security, Balance the budget, and Broker a peace agreement in the Middle East. All this in just one season!

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Are the Jets better off with him gone?  Maybe not.  But, that's a function of poor management and decision making since getting rid of Sanchez, not from getting rid of Sanchez.  We could have Bridgewater, we could have Carr, we could have traded up for Mariota.  I'm not really going to traffic in the what-ifs regarding keeping Sanchez around, because we got to see what became of Mark Sanchez, and it wasn't good.

In an interview with NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, impending free agent Geno Smith (ACL) said he would be "fine" with a backup role.

Smith made it clear his goal is to be a starter, but he is willing to "start from the bottom" and "climb [his] way back to the top" if necessary. He also did not rule out a return to the Jets, saying "all possibilities are on the table." Smith is currently recovering from an ACL tear he suffered in late October, but he expects to be ready for training camp. Where that camp will be is a question which should be answered in the next several weeks.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

In an interview with NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, impending free agent Geno Smith (ACL) said he would be "fine" with a backup role.

Smith made it clear his goal is to be a starter, but he is willing to "start from the bottom" and "climb [his] way back to the top" if necessary. He also did not rule out a return to the Jets, saying "all possibilities are on the table." Smith is currently recovering from an ACL tear he suffered in late October, but he expects to be ready for training camp. Where that camp will be is a question which should be answered in the next several weeks.

Geno is a complete a$$hole, but he's not stupid. He would have to be stupid to rule out any team in the NFL, including the Jets. The Jets however should rule him out immediately 

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Are the Jets better off with him gone?  Maybe not.  But, that's a function of poor management and decision making since getting rid of Sanchez, not from getting rid of Sanchez.  We could have Bridgewater, we could have Carr, we could have traded up for Mariota.  I'm not really going to traffic in the what-ifs regarding keeping Sanchez around, because we got to see what became of Mark Sanchez, and it wasn't good.

Forget the player named Mark Sanchez.

The Jets found the best young QB prospect since Joe Namath, they threw him immediately into the win-now fire, and he performed beyond expectations winning 4 playoff games and being the best Jet on the field in two consecutive Championship Game losses.  Heady stuff.

And instead of counting our lucky stars and investing in the kid to see what he could become, we did the exact opposite.  I bring this up because the same owner is running the same team and, trust me, if we drafted Bridgewater, Carr, Rodgers, or Brady we'd have ruined them too.  Even when we do it right we do it wrong.

SAR I

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

giphy.gif

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Forget the player named Mark Sanchez.

The Jets found the best young QB prospect since Joe Namath, they threw him immediately into the win-now fire, and he performed beyond expectations winning 4 playoff games and being the best Jet on the field in two consecutive Championship Game losses.  Heady stuff.

And instead of counting our lucky stars and investing in the kid to see what he could become, we did the exact opposite.  I bring this up because the same owner is running the same team and, trust me, if we drafted Bridgewater, Carr, Rodgers, or Brady we'd have ruined them too.  Even when we do it right we do it wrong.

SAR I

You forgot about the GQ pictures. The day those pictures came out man Jets fans started rooting against him, oh, and he's Chicano.

Archived