Scot McCloughan back on the sauce?

Integrity28

Personally, I know I had suggested him as a potential GM in the past. Others have too. Damn shame if he has had a regression from his sobriety. 

Redskins president Bruce Allen said GM Scot McCloughan is absent from the combine because he is "dealing with family matters."

It is the same reason McCloughan has given for his absence. It is certainly possible everyone is telling the truth, but it is highly irregular for a general manager to miss the combine, and there has been too much smoke about McCloughan's declining role in the organization for there to be zero fire. Along with Allen, coach Jay Gruden, scouts Alex Santos and Scott Campbell, and personnel executive Doug Williams have reportedly taken on much bigger roles in the front office.

Probably shouldn't have been hired right into a GM position so quickly.  Guy's got a great resume but the move to make was to put him in more of an Asst. GM/ Director of Scouting position until he got his act together.  Who knows though don't wanna speculate but this doesn't good at all, according to reports his grandmother passed away Feb. 6th

28 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

Let's not jump to concussions. His 100 year old grandmother passed away.

That's why I put a "?"

I was asking a question, and expressed it would be a shame if a regression if it were the case.

Don't you shame me. I'll shame you!!!!!!

Very good scout and had a good resume.  But he needed to earn his way into a GM spot after

his past troubles.  WAS shouldn't have rushed into giving him that job until he proved he was stable

in his recovery

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

That's why I put a "?"

I was asking a question, and expressed it would be a shame if a regression if it were the case.

Don't you shame me. I'll shame you!!!!!!

Shame? I don't shame people. I saw an Adam Schefter tweet that said it was because of his grandmother's death, so I thought I could add to the conversation.

BTW... I am in awe of Scot McCloughan. Some say he is a savant when it comes to recognizing football talent. Like so many geniuses, he has his faults, not the least of which is his love for booze. I had hoped the Jets would take a chance and interview him during our GM search, but if I remember correctly he turned an interview down. I have been watching him closely, with interest to see how well he does and if he can stay on the wagon. Many are speculating he already is off the wagon. Nonetheless, a fascinating man!

For those who are interested, here is an excellent in depth article written about him 2 years ago:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm

In reading the ESPN article on him, I never thought that he was "sober."  He was living in the mountains drinking in a controlled way, but still drinking a light beer here and there.

He was fired for basically guzzling vodka in his office.  He did not sound like he was doing that in the mountains, but being a GM is not an easy job.

Whether one who guzzles vodka in his office and go to be a casual drinker is another subject.  But obviously something is up with him.

He has a great eye for talent, but the Scherf pick and Cousins management do not appear to be great moves.

Hmmm... your premise might just be correct, Integrity. His grandmother died Feb. 6 and services were to have been on Feb. 13. It is now 2-1/2 weeks later. Sounds a bit suspect to me.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18808982/washington-redskins-president-bruce-allen-says-general-manager-scot-mccloughan-return-table-uncertain

7 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

Shame? I don't shame people. I saw an Adam Schefter tweet that said it was because of his grandmother's death, so I thought I could add to the conversation.

BTW... I am in awe of Scot McCloughan. Some say he is a savant when it comes to recognizing football talent. Like so many geniuses, he has his faults, not the least of which is his love for booze. I had hoped the Jets would take a chance and interview him during our GM search, but if I remember correctly he turned an interview down. I have been watching him closely, with interest to see how well he does and if he can stay on the wagon. Many are speculating he already is off the wagon. Nonetheless, a fascinating man!

For those who are interested, here is an excellent in depth article written about him 2 years ago:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12014699/scot-mccloughan-nfl-best-talent-scout-self-employed-living-farm

I was just horsing around.

1 minute ago, Jet Blast said:

Hmmm... your premise might just be correct, Integrity. His grandmother died Feb. 6 and services were to have been on Feb. 13. It is now 2-1/2 weeks later. Sounds a bit suspect to me.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18808982/washington-redskins-president-bruce-allen-says-general-manager-scot-mccloughan-return-table-uncertain

I knew it all along!!!!

I wish it was Amazon.com, then I'd buy a Prime subscription just to expedite you a giant box of tampons.

Oh, my bad, it's actually TMZ.  Guess who our camera men caught DRINKING!   More after the newest gossip about Lady GAGA!

:lol:

Not a good recovery, wafflefish.

/shrug

The off-the-field, behind the scenes, speculation of drama of the team I hate the most, just not that interesting to me, sorry my friend.  

No offense intended.  Just no sh*ts given.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

/shrug

The off-the-field, behind the scenes, speculation of drama of the team I hate the most, just not that interesting to me, sorry my friend.  

No offense intended.  Just no sh*ts given.

You know I don't take offense - I'm just busting balls.

I've got too much good in my life to stay mired in frustration over the failings of the Jets. It is, what it is. I'm not going to change teams, the sport is less entertaining every year, so **** it... I don't let it bother me much anymore (though I have my moments of abhorrent disgust still).

FWIW:

On Scot McCloughan’s Whereabouts

“He’s home, he’s not in rehab. Some people had wondered about that. (Host Jason Bishop asks: “Home where?”) Loudoun [Virginia]. He’s talked to some people, he’s watching the Combine on TV and watching game film. It’s really sad.

“And now some guys are saying, ‘You know, when we get back to Ashburn on Tuesday, Scot’s gonna be there, running meetings and everything.’ I would really find that hard to imagine.”

Mike Jones: McCloughan at Home, ‘Probably Gone’ After Draft

It's Tuesday.  I wonder what is up around here.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, Gangrene said:

Bowles left the combine for his ex wife's funeral... there's something in the air

Now here is someone who we know is drunk 99% of the time. As far as McCloughan goes, I think he thinks like I do, that the Combine is a total and utter waste of time.

Sign this beast and make him our Director of Scouting if the Skins let him go.  Guys got an eye for talent and like I said earlier he shouldn't necessarily be running the team in a GM capacity but could really serve well as Macc's right hand man especially for a team like ours that needs so many players.

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW:

It's Tuesday.  I wonder what is up around here.

He's not there.  His contract gave him full control of the roster - all signings and cuts.  That is pretty rare, and the power struggle with Bruce Allen may be the issue, rather than drinking.  They were supposedly all up in arms about missing the playoffs, but I think the main issue is a debate about what Cousins is really worth.  Whatever McCloughan's take, I'm pretty sure that Allen disagrees.  They haven't let him talk to the media since February, so it is what it is. 

On 3/2/2017 at 8:53 AM, Integrity28 said:

Personally, I know I had suggested him as a potential GM in the past. Others have too. Damn shame if he has had a regression from his sobriety. 

Who cares? He is the Redskins problem.

7 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Who cares? He is the Redskins problem.

I cared, which is why I wrote what I did.

I've known too many people, who have lost too much in life, because of addiction problems. It's disheartening when they regress... and there's nothing wrong with calling it unfortunate.

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I cared, which is why I wrote what I did.

I've known too many people, who have lost too much in life, because of addiction problems. It's disheartening when they regress... and there's nothing wrong with calling it unfortunate.

In a wide-ranging column detailing the Redskins' impending split with GM Scot McCloughan, the Washington Post explains the separation was caused by arguments over control and whether to sign Kirk Cousins long term, and the Redskins' lack of support for McCloughan.

We would recommend reading the piece below if you're any kind of an NFL fan. McCloughan felt disrespected the Redskins did not defend him when Chris Cooley spread a rumor McCloughan had relapsed into alcoholism. McCloughan also told people in 2016 he would have signed Cousins long term "if he had full control," which "angered" president Bruce Allen. McCloughan and the coaching staff clashed over McCloughan's preference of more-talented Rashad Ross over coaches-pet Ryan Grant. The Post reports McCloughan never stopped drinking, but "peers all agreed they didn't believe McCloughan's drinking ever hindered his job." Per the Post, the Redskins and McCloughan are now "working toward a buyout." Allen and coach Jay Gruden have won the power struggle.

Mar 8 - 8:03 PM

A Redskins-Scot McCloughan separation seems to be a question of when, not if

d0101442162531.jpg&w=1484General Manager Scot McCloughan has not been part of the Redskins’ free agent talks. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

As Redskins General Manager Scot McCloughan’s absence from Redskins Park continued for another day Wednesday, it has become clear that his departure from the team is inevitable, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation.

Team President Bruce Allen told reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine last week that McCloughan would return to work as soon as “family matters” were handled. However, three people close to the Redskins say relations between Allen and McCloughan have soured to the point that the general manager’s return is now viewed as virtually impossible.

These sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the delicacy of the situation, said McCloughan has grown increasingly frustrated by ongoing friction with Allen over personnel decisions and with the team’s failure to come to his defense when former tight end Chris Cooley said on the Redskins-owned radio station that McCloughan’s drinking may explain his absence.

The atmosphere reached a boiling point late last month, three individuals said, and McCloughan left Redskins Park for three days in the week leading up to the scouting combine, which ended Sunday. Eventually, the decision was made that McCloughan would not attend the combine. His scouting staff didn’t learn of that development until boarding the plane to Indianapolis.

[Redskins Free Agency Central – The latest news, rumors and analysis

Allen, when asked in Indianapolis for clarity on the situation, declined to offer any. He said McCloughan could possibly return to work this week for the start of free agency. But instead, McCloughan has remained absent from Redskins Park, although he was seen at several Loudoun County locations this week wearing Redskins clothing.

Although the team has yet to make an announcement about a divorce from McCloughan (and he remains under contract), players and staffers — much to their dismay — have received indications the franchise will be proceeding without the well-respected talent evaluator. The team is now trying to figure how to sever ties.

It’s known internally that Allen will continue to oversee free agent meetings and acquisitions and draft evaluations.

[Washington re-signs Vernon Davis on three-year deal

McCloughan played no role in the decision to use of the franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins, nor the contract extension of Coach Jay Gruden. The latter agreement was struck while McCloughan remained absent from the combine, the most significant offseason gathering for the league’s front-office executives to evaluate the top 300-plus college prospects in advance of the NFL draft, scheduled for April 27-29.

As the Redskins began to make roster moves this week during the league’s free agent negotiating window, McCloughan again sat out decisions to re-sign tight end Vernon Davis — although he was high on the 11th-year veteran — and to tender restricted free agents Chris Thompson and Will Compton. The absent general manager also watched one of his favorite players depart, as the Redskins declined to retain wide receiver Pierre Garcon, who Wednesday neared an agreement with the San Francisco 49ers.

Neither McCloughan nor his agent responded to messages left for them Wednesday.

[Redskins extend free agent tenders to Thompson, Compton

The unraveling of the relationship between the general manager and the team comes less than eight weeks before the draft and on the eve of Thursday’s 4 p.m. opening of the free agent signing period.

It’s believed that the Redskins and McCloughan are in the process of working toward a buyout and, according to individuals close to the process, the Redskins have had internal talks about how to replace McCloughan. It was expected that such a move would come sometime after the draft but could also happen sooner.

When they do part with McCloughan, the Redskins are barred from hiring any currently employed NFL general manager because of the league’s tampering rules. That would leave them with limited short-term options. Among them: coaxing back A.J. Smith, a former front-office consultant who held the title of senior executive and retired two months after McCloughan was hired. Smith, 68, boasts more than 30 years’ NFL experience and spent a decade as executive vice president/general manager of the San Diego Chargers.

Another option: Reworking their current in-house structure and naming Scott Campbell, director of college scouting; Alex Santos, director of pro personnel; or former Super Bowl winning quarterback Doug Williams, senior personnel executive, general manager. Allen, 60, also served as Redskins general manager before McCloughan’s hiring.It’s expected that whether Allen opts for an internal or external hire, he will still remain heavily involved in personnel decisions, just as he did with McCloughan.

That involvement was believed to be one of the contributing factors to the deterioration of McCloughan and Allen’s relationship.

McCloughan, 46, was introduced as the Redskins’ fourth general manager under owner Daniel Snyder on Jan. 9, 2015. McCloughan won the Redskins job, and a four-year contract, by convincing Allen and Snyder he had a proven plan for restoring the three-time Super Bowl champion to prominence. That plan’s hallmark was building through the NFL draft rather than cherry-picking veteran free agents cast off by previous employers. At its foundation were big, physical offensive and defensive lines and a roster stocked with hard-working, tough-nosed brawlers who oozed a love of football.

[Mailbag: How free agency impacts potential Kirk Cousins trade talk

McCloughan landed the job despite having been fired from high-ranking front office positions with the 49ers in 2009 and Seattle Seahawks in 2013 for alcohol-related problems.

At his introductory news conference, McCloughan was said to have received total authority over the roster. McCloughan did not receive full authority when it came to front-office hires, however, and the Redskins didn’t let him bring any of his former associates with him. Instead, McCloughan inherited Washington’s previous scouting staff.

It turned out McCloughan, who signed a four-year contract, didn’t actually have full control of the roster either. He at times had his personnel decisions overruled by Allen, who sometimes pursued his own preferences and other times sided with Gruden.

When it came time to form the initial 53-man roster for the 2016 season, people familiar with the deliberations said some of the decisions McCloughan lost out on included the calls to keep center Kory Lichtensteiger and linebacker Trent Murphy on the roster, as well as aging nose tackle Kedric Golston over free agent signing Cullen Jenkins. Golston wound up missing the season because of injury, and the Redskins promptly re-signed Jenkins.

When it came to backup wide receivers, McCloughan also preferred speedy wide receiver Rashad Ross to coaching staff favorite Ryan Grant. Although Gruden and McCloughan clashed over the two, McCloughan deferred to the coach, and Ross spent much of the year behind Grant before getting cut late in the year.

McCloughan was said to have come under further scrutiny from Allen once wide receiver Josh Doctson — selected in the first round of the 2016 draft despite more pressing needs on defense — was placed on injured reserve midway through the season, having missed all of training camp and preseason while playing in just two regular season games because of perplexing Achilles’ tendon injuries.

Exacerbating the Doctson decision was the fact Washington’s defense struggled mightily, ranking near the bottom of the league in many key statistical categories. Those woes cost the team several close games, and Washington missed the playoffs by just one game.

Allen also disapproved of McCloughan’s hands-on approach with players. At one point late in the year, a frustrated defensive back left practice with the session in progress and retreated to the locker room. McCloughan went to retrieve him, telling the player to come to his office so they could talk. Allen, according to two people, later reprimanded McClouhghan, cursing at him and telling him never to go in the locker room again.

The handling of Cousins and his contract also represented an area of disagreement. McCloughan had told people around the league that if he had full control, the Redskins would have signed the quarterback to a multiyear contract in 2016, avoiding the use of two straight franchise tags with long-term resolution. That angered Allen, who in turn started blaming his general manager in league circles for all of the negative media leaks about Cousins. Allen publicly has taken an “all in” approach on the quarterback. But sources say he is still hesitant to give the quarterback a lucrative multiyear deal.

Sports Daily newsletter

Sports news with a focus on D.C. area teams.

McCloughan entered his third offseason with the team feeling greater pressure, people familiar with his thinking say. And Allen — perhaps jealous, as some within the organization believed, of McCloughan’s standing with players, fans and media for transforming the roster — further tightened the screws on his general manager. Allen even barred him from meeting with the media to give his usual postseason evaluation and offseason outline at January’s Senior Bowl.

The following week, team PR relayed from Allen that McCloughan would not be permitted to speak to reporters at the combine. No reason was given. But team radio station talk show host and former Redskin Cooley speculated it could have had to do with a possible alcohol relapse. The Redskins never issued a statement defending McCloughan, and Cooley — who drew criticism for making what was viewed as a reckless statement — wasn’t reprimanded.

It was widely known around the league that McCloughan had never stopped drinking even after joining the Redskins. However, several peers, when asked, all agreed they didn’t believe McCloughan’s drinking ever hindered his job.

Frustrated by ongoing frictions with Allen and the lack of a team response to Cooley, McCloughan reached his boiling point, three different sources said, and he left Redskins Park for three days in the week leading up to the combine and eventually the decision was made he would not attend the event. It was the first clear sign the relationship between the GM and the Redskins may be too damaged to repair.

Master Tesfatsion contributed to this report.

Archived