" Eric Decker could join the exodus of Jets veterans " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Eric Decker could join the exodus of Jets veterans

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - SEPTEMBER 11: Eric Decker #87 of the New York Jets looks to avoid the tackle of Shawn Williams #36 of the Cincinnati Bengals during the fourth quarter at MetLife Stadium on September 11, 2016 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The Cincinnati Bengals defeated the New York Jets 23-22.  (Photo by Steven Ryan/Getty Images)Getty Images

Brandon Marshall joined Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis and others on the Jets’ discard pile on Thursday and the team’s culling of veterans after a dismal 2016 season may not be complete.Marshall’s running mate at wideout Eric Decker could join them on the chopping block. Manish Mehta and John Healy of the New York Daily News report that it won’t be a surprise if Decker is released upon passing a physical this offseason. Dropping Decker from the roster would save the Jets $5.75 million under the cap.

When a physical might happen is unclear as Decker is recovering from hip and shoulder surgeries that are expected to keep him on the sideline through much or all of the team’s offseason work.Whether his absence turns out to be permanent or temporary, the Jets are going to be giving young receivers like Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Devin Smith, Charone Peaks and Jalin Marshall plenty of opportunities in an offseason of major change.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Might as well. I'd support a WR group of Quincy, Charone, Robby, Jalin and Devin. 

Might as well bro, Tom Brady hasnt retired. Win or lose I will atleast look forward to seeing the young kids play. 

That is just hideous and gross.  We bitched for 5 years we had no WR weaponzz and now we are going with that lot?  Heaven help the QB.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

That is just hideous and gross.  We bitched for 5 years we had no WR weaponzz and now we are going with that lot?  Heaven help the QB.

Thats what happens when you release your #1 WR and your #2 WR spends a 3rd of his Jets career on the injury list. Truth be told, even if they cut Decker that group of WR's is much better than what the heck we had in 2013/14. 

You can't drop every veteran, you need some leadership on the team.  What purpose does cutting Decker serve?

This proves they aren't serious about getting Glennon.   "Come here and be our quarterback!  O line?  Nope.  People to throw to?   Nope!  Forgiving NY/NJ fans, YEP!!"

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You can't drop every veteran, you need some leadership on the team.  What purpose does cutting Decker serve?

This proves they aren't serious about getting Glennon.   "Come here and be our quarterback!  O line?  Nope.  People to throw to?   Nope!  Forgiving NY/NJ fans, YEP!!"

If it's me, I cut just about every offensive starter that the cap would allow.  Forgetting the fact that we're talking about Geno Smith, these players allowed a defensive  backup to injure their starting QB and did nothing about it .  You don't have to like the people you play with, but you protect your house .  I would cut every last one of them .

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If it's me, I cut just about every offensive starter that the cap would allow.  Forgetting the fact that we're talking about Geno Smith, these players allowed a defensive  backup to injure their starting QB and did nothing about it .  You don't have to like the people you play with, but you protect your house .  I would cut every last one of them .

It's not baseball.  You have to spend a minimum.  You have to spend the money somewhere. 

See, I liked Marshal.  Keep him for 1 more year, let his contract expire, and if he signs somewhere else, get a comp pick. 

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We're the jets.  We finally have a crew of good WR's, at very reasonable $, nope lets blow it up

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Might as well. I'd support a WR group of Quincy, Charone, Robby, Jalin and Devin. 

Might as well bro, Tom Brady hasnt retired. Win or lose I will atleast look forward to seeing the young kids play. 

Eric Decker will not be the same without Marshall and so it really may be time to cut the cord.  The Jets may not want to cut him when he is injured though, bad optics...

22 minutes ago, chirorob said:

It's not baseball.  You have to spend a minimum.  You have to spend the money somewhere. 

See, I liked Marshal.  Keep him for 1 more year, let his contract expire, and if he signs somewhere else, get a comp pick. 

Well that's what a well managed organization would do

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Defense was a laughable awful, underachieving fat, no caring cluster **** all year therefore we should cut all the offensive vets and fire all of the offensive coaches,

Sounds about right.

Let's also cut Marshall for calling out Mo for being lazy and Bowles for being dumb

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Eric Decker will not be the same without Marshall and so it really may be time to cut the cord.  The Jets may not want to cut him when he is injured though, bad optics...

Decker can still be a very productive receiver for us

Cutting both him and Marshall is doubling down on a retarded strategy

24 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Jets wanted to do this it seems but Marshal said he wanted out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, SKILLit said:

These moves are only more telling that we will go for the number 1 pick next draft and get a stud qb. I can only wish and hope we do this. It's time the jets drafted within and win like a true champion

Now you are seeing it. Not sure the Jets do but you do. The plan should be to trade down for a first next year and either a first or second this year depending on who we trade with. If its a team after 15 we go for the two firsts but if its a team with a pick from 8-15 we go for the second this year and first next. Of course, this isn't automatic and we might have to wait for the draft to play out in the beginning but it is very feasible. Case in point - Tennessee needs an ILB and a top WR. They have the 5th pick which they could use on WR Williams or Davis. Then with our 6th they could grab ILB Foster - a major stud. They are instantly favorites in their division and we would get their 18th this year and first next year.

Next we trade Richardson for anything up to a 3rd round pick. Very doable although not a guarantee.

The free agent market for corners and safeties is very advantageous this year. With the release of Decker, Gilchrist, Sefarian Jenkins and Harris and the trade of Richardson we would have $60 million. We could easily buy either CB's Bouye, Gilmore or Ryan plus S Jefferson and still have money left over for a stop gap QB and $25 million in the bank unused.

We would then have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. I would look to draft TE Adam Shaheen in the 3rd unless he moves up boards earlier. With the other 4 picks I look for oline, OLB, another CB and a WR like the Taylor kid from Western Kentucky. In the 5,6 and 7 rounds we hope for the best with oline, RB or whatever.

That leaves us with 2 first round draft picks for 2018 and the realization we will not be strong this year. With that we draft either with our own pick or package the two first round picks to move up and draft QB Sam Darnold - USC (assuming he plays as well as he did this year) or Josh Rosen - UCLA.

That plan allows us to build with youth, not spend all our money so we can grab opportunities when they happen and hopefully get our franchise QB within a year. 

There may be issues cutting Gilcrist and Decker now because:

• They are still hurt
  • They have not been replaced yet.

I would not surprise me to see them cut when they are cleared and/or replaced.  

For Harris the concern is replace.  If Minter or Hightower can be procured at a fair price, he should go.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Ugh.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

What's worse, is it's from the leader of the "Geno had no weaponzzzzzz" coalition.

do not confuse realeasing older players as not replacing it with talent. Geno Smith could have been throwing to all pro receivers and he still would have sucked KW12, because he is not a very good qb. A good Qb makes his receivers better not the other way around. The question is do we have that qb on the roster

56 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Ugh.

What's worse, is it's from the leader of the "Geno had no weaponzzzzzz" coalition.

Geno isnt here, Brandon Marshall was just cut, we gave the team to Fitz when we HAD WEAPONZZZZZ and we've already seen that Eric Decker isnt a #1 WR...and that was before having to come back from rehabbing two surgeries to his shoulder and hip and for the fact that he's 3 years older at that. 

Also, back when Geno had no weaponzzzzzzthzzz, Robby Anderson was in college, Charone Peake was in college, Quincy Enunwa was on a rookie redshirt season placed in the cut for development and we had Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Clyde Gates and the ever-immortal Ryan Spadola. 

I think the 4 QB's I stated earlier are better than the latter.  Oh, and nice way to reel me back in after I took my ball and went home! :-) 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What are you going to be saying by game 6 when your boy glennon is getting filleted because we have no redzone weapons?

Ah,.....that we have no redzone weaponzzzz????

Duh. :-) 

Trust me, Decker will probably be on IR by week 6 so either way I'd probably be saying that. 

Decker was one of the few decent moves that Idzick made and really brought all the lunchpails with him, but the guy is 30 and he's been plagued by injuries. Statistically speaking that's not something that magically lessens with age. It's not a ton of cap space, but he is coming off major hip and shoulder surgeries and that's just not good.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Jets wanted to do this it seems but Marshal said he wanted out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't blame him for that.  Management made it clear that Sheldon and Mo's me-first type selfish, non-team attitudes  were more important than Marshall's attempts to change the clubhouse demeanor.  Bowles prefers lazy, me-first defensive players it seems.  and with Mo, it's perfectly fine to take half your plays off with minimal effort after you land a big contract.   

p.s.  gotta laugh at those point fingers at Marshall and claim he was a "cancer" in the clubhouse.  The real cancers are Sheldon and Mo, people.  And Bowles lets them carry on that way. 

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I doubt that the leadership we need is a guy who wears "Fitzmagic" shirts and refuses to show up to OTA's in protest of a QB not getting paid. 

Maybe Decker should be more concerned about conditioning so he can play an entire season no matter the QB on the field. I doesnt look good or like a leader when you pull that Fitz stunt the same season you catch only 9 passes 2 TD's and played in only 3 games. 

He can kick rocks too. Maybe Fitz can protest in an effort to get him a gig somewhere. 

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Decker has been solid, when not hurt. We can't march out that super young wr corp without some proven veteran hands.

Quincy Enunwa. He's a 3 year vet and has two years under his belt. He certainly took a step in the right direction. Also, if we cut Decker it isnt like we cant get another vet WR in FA. It's not like its "Decker or bust". Dude has been here for 3 seasons and has missed a 3rd of his time on the field due to injury. Why even run the risk of paying him to only have those young guys on the field anyway given that he's probably injured again or simply isnt the same WR. 

Decker should have been cut before Marshall ever was. Atleast Marshall will be on the field. The best ability is availability. 

Archived