First-round prospect facing possible sexual assault charges

AFJF

Name is not being released as charges have not been filed yet

Incident happened in Cleveland...Lattimore's home town.  Conley is from a city an hour outside of Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/35230876/top-nfl-draft-prospect-accused-of-sexual-assault-at-downtown-cleveland-hotel

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

There have been numerous conversations at Cleveland 19 News about the report you are about to read. There's a lot at stake. It involves a young woman who said she was sexually assaulted, a young man who is about to start his NFL career, and a team who may be taking a huge risk drafting a player who's under investigation right here in Cleveland.

Police radio traffic coming from downtown Cleveland's Westin Hotel after 3 a.m. Sunday, April 9 sheds light on the moment officers arrived on scene: "Officers on scene, no call back -- 23-year-old female conscious and breathing, victim of a sexual assault."

The accused is a college football player who is expected to be taken in the first round of Thursday's NFL Draft.

We are not naming the player because we're waiting for the police report. And we want to be very clear he has not been officially charged with a crime at this point.

By phone, investigative producer Cassie Nist spoke to the player's attorney, Kevin Spellacy, who said he is representing the player in this matter, but said the accusations are "ludicrous and ridiculous."

"In my opinion this young lady is an opportunist and it's actually despicable," said Spellacy.

The player's attorney says it all started at the Barley House on West 6th Street, when a group left there to go to the Westin for a hotel room party. He said his client was never alone with the alleged victim, and he has three witnesses who said he did nothing wrong. When police arrived at the Westin, the player had already left. The attorney said he is willing to bring his client in to be interviewed by police, but not right away. He has made arrangements for the interview to be held right after the NFL Draft.

There is a lot at stake. It's just days before the draft and one of the top picks has his name on paperwork somewhere on a Cleveland detective's desk. We'd like to see that paperwork. Normally we can. But for some reason we -- the media -- are being held up.

With more on that side of the story here's Chief Investigator Carl Monday's report.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy story, would be shocked if the name of this player isn't leaked before Thursday's draft, shocked.  You could almost narrow it down if you really wanted to by seeing the list of players who have reported official visits, and check to see if any players are listed as a April 8th official visit for the Browns.

Horrible if its true and so sad if it isn't (if the accuser is just looking for a money grab).

When will these young dudes learn?  The draft is approaching.  Focus on nothing but football.  You should nt be hanging out at 3am.  SMH 

Here is the list of players that made the trip to the Browns and stayed in that area, don't have dates thou.

• Mitchell Truibsky 
  • Cam Brady
  • Deshaun Watson
  • Pat Mahomes
  • Dalvin Cook
  • Joe Mixon
  • Mike Williams
  • Corey Davis
  • John Ross
  • Malachi Dupre
  • David Njoku
  • Bucky Hodges
  • Sean Harlow
  • Myles Garrett
  • Caleb Brantley
  • Tak McKinley 
  • Marshon Lattimore
  • Gareon Conley
  • Kevin King
  • Adoree Jackson
  • Malik Hooker
  • Josh Jones
  • Quincy Wilson
  • Obi Melfionwu

13 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The player that sticks out the most based on visit date, and can't find info where his next visit was date wise is Mahomes April 7th.

Just found the same thing.  Mahomes on the 7th, 

Hooker and Conley were March 31st.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Just found the same thing.  Mahomes on the 7th, 

Hooker and Conley were March 31st.

Yes Hooker Trubisky and Conley don't count towards the Browns official visit total because they were considered local visits, and those visits happened like you said 10 days prior so Hooker has no reason to be in the Berea area on the night in question at the hotel where the Browns put up their hosted prospects.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Melifonwu also on the 7th

Obi was in Washington for a visit on the 8th, or 9th thou which I'd say removes him as an assumption.

UConn S Obi Melifonwu is on a top-30 visit with Redskins today, per source.

Visited with Browns yesterday ... has accrued lot of air miles.

tweet was dated April 8th didn't copy over that way thou sorry.

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The speculation is that it is one of the OSU DB's, either Lattimore or Hooker, both of whom live in the Cleveland area

Based on this: "What’s the delay with filing the report? We’ve learned that the player himself will come to Cleveland and provide a statement to police after the NFL Draft, according to Spellacy"  http://www.cleveland19.com/story/35212753/are-cleveland-police-stalling-a-sex-assault-report-involving-a-top-nfl-draft-prospect-carl-monday-investigates

Player might not be local.

Geez, when are these kids going to learn during draft lead up, STAY HOME! The rest of your life depends on it.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Obi was in Washington for a visit on the 8th, or 9th thou which I'd say removes him as an assumption.

I'm sure we'll know soon enough, but my first instinct was to see which first rounders are from Cleveland and Lattimore was the first one I found.

Who the hell knows?

I'm sure there are several JN members that would still draft this kid, whomever he is.

Especially if she was asking for it by hitting him first.  Or the way she was dressed.

It's OK to assault women as long as they hit you first, right?

Friggin' asswipes.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Based on this: "What’s the delay with filing the report? We’ve learned that the player himself will come to Cleveland and provide a statement to police after the NFL Draft, according to Spellacy"  http://www.cleveland19.com/story/35212753/are-cleveland-police-stalling-a-sex-assault-report-involving-a-top-nfl-draft-prospect-carl-monday-investigates

Geez, when are these kids going to learn during draft lead up, STAY HOME! The rest of your life depends on it.

Interesting.

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Because most of these guys are complete idiots.

17 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I'm sure there are several JN members that would still draft this kid, whomever he is.

Especially if she was asking for it by hitting him first.  Or the way she was dressed.

It's OK to assault women as long as they hit you first, right?

Friggin' asswipes.

Get off your high horse doofus and approach each instance and case with facts.

42 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I was immediately assuming it is Trubisky but it looks like the twitterverse is gathering smoke around Malik Hooker.

36 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The speculation is that it is one of the OSU DB's, either Lattimore or Hooker, both of whom live in the Cleveland area

Perfect.

Garrett, Solomon, Adams, Trubisky and Fournette all get picked. Leaving Jets with their choice of whichever is the raper.

Also kills the value of our pick for trade-up scenarios if nobody is willing to come up for either of these guys.

Jets luck in full effect.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Perfect.

Garrett, Solomon, Adams, Trubisky and Fournette all get picked. Leaving Jets with their choice of whichever is the raper.

Also kills the value of our pick for trade-up scenarios if nobody is willing to come up for either of these guys.

Jets luck in full effect.

Since Macc apparently took such a strong stance on Dixon I'm guessing he doesn't pick the accused regardless if it's BPA or not. Pretty much a built in excuse for him. Kinda perfect. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

Since Macc apparently took such a strong stance on Dixon I'm guessing he doesn't pick the accused regardless if it's BPA or not. Pretty much a built in excuse for him. Kinda perfect. 

That's what I'm getting at. Hooker is a top-6 talent, but now the Jets won't take him, because of this... and Jets luck.

25 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Njoku was there Thursday night, but I believe he had another visit by the 8th.

One of the articles said the incident happened 2 weeks ago.  The writer was questioning why the police weren't demanding an immediate interview the way they would with any other person ID'ed as a sexual predator.   

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

That's what I'm getting at. Hooker is a top-6 talent, but now the Jets won't take him, because of this... and Jets luck.

Yep. Hopefully this thing gets exposed as a farce. What ever happen to that mentorimg program for these young men? Bunch of knuckleheads man. Even if he is relatively innocent, dumb to be even be in a position to get in trouble. Two days away from making  more in a day than most earn over a lifetime. Am I the only guy who teach s situational awareness to his children's? LOL

Browns may have figured out a way to land both the players they covet, lol. On a serious note, this is a sad story all the way around . This Stuff really needs to stop and a "zero Tolerance" might be the only way to accomplish this .

Archived