Deshaun Watson must be the pick

nico002

11 hours ago, nico002 said:

What did Pete carrol say about mark Sanchez? This is more than saying nice things, it's not normal coach building up his guys type of stuff.

Watching Watson I see:

- a very quick release

- good mobility 

- when in a pocket stays in there and can take a hit 

- good arm strength

- clutch

- proven winner, plays great in biggest stage

whats not to like?

imo worst case scenario he's dak Prescott 

You missed the 30 INTs in 30 games

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Matt Ryan had more. 

I doubt he's still going to be on the board by #6. If the Jets do draft him, I hope they can develop him properly. I feel like they can write a book on Geno Smith's career titled "Here's exactly how NOT to develop a rookie QB..."

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/watson-vs-trubisky-debate-continues-112420647.html

AP Images

MORE: NFL Draft snapshot - QB | Top first-round producing programs

Deshaun Watson led Clemson to the national championship this past season, taking down college football’s Goliath in Alabama.

The former five-star quarterback almost beat the Crimson Tide for the national title two years ago as well. He twice threw for more than 4,000 yards, this season going for 4,593.

Watson had a combined 76 passing touchdowns in the last two campaigns, Clemson went 28-2 during that stretch, and he established himself as one of college football’s best players.

So as the NFL Draft approaches later this week, why is it that there are so many questions surrounding Watson, and teams looking for a quarterback early in the first round seem sold on taking North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky, a one-year starter?

“This is what I don’t understand,” Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell said. “Everybody who is smart about quarterbacks seems to love Deshaun Watson. They love his intangibles, they love his leadership, they love his gamesmanship, his ability to stay calm in situations and lead fourth-quarter comebacks.

“So it makes no sense to me why Trubisky is the guy Cleveland is rumored to be debating whether he’s No. 1 or not. It makes no sense. When you go back to guys who don’t have a tremendous resume – Mark Sanchez, Akili Smith – who had one year of success in college, generally it doesn’t pan out that well.”

Don’t be confused. Trubisky was fantastic this season, completing 68 percent of his passes for 3,748 yards with 30 touchdowns and six picks. He was impressive at the NFL Combine, showing off great dual-threat abilities. Trubisky might be a fine pick.

But only 13 starts under his belt is a concern. North Carolina losing three of its last four games is a worry. There are issues surrounding Watson, but by no means is Trubisky a no-brainer to be the first quarterback taken.

“Do the 13 starts concern me? Yes, they do,” ESPN NFL analyst Jon Gruden said. “I don’t remember many quarterbacks coming out with just 13 career starts. (North Carolina) didn’t finish strong, either. They lost in the bowl game to Stanford. The Virginia Tech game was not good. They lost to Duke in a big game. They had a pretty good supporting cast around him. You’re going to see Bug Howard, (Ryan) Switzer, you’re going to see (T.J.) Logan, you’re going to see some of those men drafted.

“I would’ve liked to have seen (Trubisky) stay, but he is talented, he did get results, he did have some really good moments, in Tallahassee against FSU, bringing them back to beat Pitt. He is a dual-threat. A lot of people don’t realize how athletic Trubisky is, but he is still a big mystery to a lot of people.”

There is no riddle surrounding Watson, whose concern for NFL decision-makers is interceptions. He threw 17 this past season and 13 a year ago.

Gruden does not give Watson a pass. It’s certainly something to address, something to consider for San Francisco, the New York Jets, Cleveland and other teams looking for a quarterback in the first round, but is it enough to steer those teams to Trubisky instead?

“Interceptions are a big concern,” Gruden said. “We spent a lot of time looking at that. A lot of the interceptions, you can find, he will take full responsibility for. He may have forced it, he may have misread the coverage, perhaps, he missed a throw, and there are a number of those interceptions that aren’t his fault at all. We tried to point out some of those tipped passes, wide receivers not on the same page, not reading the coverage properly.

“I challenged him to slow it down, isolate the 32 interceptions (in Watson’s career) and put them all into categories and see which ones you can eliminate. I don’t think he was guilty of overthrowing passes or throwing the ball poorly, or making bad decisions too many times, but I do think there are some correctable things that he needs to take out of his game. He’s played a lot more games than all the other quarterbacks. Back-to-back seasons they’ve played 15 games, they use an up-tempo style, so they’re having a lot of snaps, but I do think some of them are correctable and he’ll fix those.”

The heated debate over whether Trubisky or Watson should be the first quarterback taken will rage all the way to Thursday’s NFL Draft and probably beyond it.

Watson has the championship ring but also some warts. Trubisky has all the physical skills, one excellent season, but a short resume.

If Gruden was making the pick, it sounds like Watson. But the way it’s shaping up, it sure looks like the North Carolina QB will be the first signal-caller taken.

“(Watson’s) body of work impressed me the most,” Gruden said. “He was in back-to-back national championship games. He beat the best team in college football. I love the poise he plays with.

“He plays his best football when they’re behind and all the chips are on the table. He did it in the national championship game. He’s got thick skin. He’s mentally tough. I saw him overcome three interceptions to beat Louisville. I saw him come back on the road to beat Florida State in the two-minute drill. I just like his poise, his mental toughness and I like his overall game. He’s athletic, he’s a dual-threat and he’s got the intangibles everyone craves.”

Kind of speaks for itself no?

16 minutes ago, thadude said:

Vince Young, Tim Tebow and Johnny Football say what up

There is NO WAY Vince Young or Tebow faced a defense better than Alabamas was the last 2 years. I'll report back on how many Alabama defenders get drafted it the 1st 4 rounds tomorrow night.

All of the sniping means Diddly squat, after 3/4 years from now we'll see who was right & who was wrong. Own though if your wrong.

25 minutes ago, Jetster said:

There is NO WAY Vince Young or Tebow faced a defense better than Alabamas was the last 2 years. I'll report back on how many Alabama defenders get drafted it the 1st 4 rounds tomorrow night.

All of the sniping means Diddly squat, after 3/4 years from now we'll see who was right & who was wrong. Own though if your wrong.

FWIW - The Bama team Tebow beat on his way to the National Championship included players such as Donte Hightower, Rolando Mclain, Javier Arenas, Terrance Cody, Kareem Jackson, Rashard Johnson....all drafted by NFL teams in the first 4 rounds...actually, all in the first 2 rounds. They had a couple other guys on the roster too who got drafted but later than round 4. 

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/watson-vs-trubisky-debate-continues-112420647.html

AP Images

MORE: NFL Draft snapshot - QB | Top first-round producing programs

Deshaun Watson led Clemson to the national championship this past season, taking down college football’s Goliath in Alabama.

The former five-star quarterback almost beat the Crimson Tide for the national title two years ago as well. He twice threw for more than 4,000 yards, this season going for 4,593.

Watson had a combined 76 passing touchdowns in the last two campaigns, Clemson went 28-2 during that stretch, and he established himself as one of college football’s best players.

So as the NFL Draft approaches later this week, why is it that there are so many questions surrounding Watson, and teams looking for a quarterback early in the first round seem sold on taking North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky, a one-year starter?

“This is what I don’t understand,” Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell said. “Everybody who is smart about quarterbacks seems to love Deshaun Watson. They love his intangibles, they love his leadership, they love his gamesmanship, his ability to stay calm in situations and lead fourth-quarter comebacks.

“So it makes no sense to me why Trubisky is the guy Cleveland is rumored to be debating whether he’s No. 1 or not. It makes no sense. When you go back to guys who don’t have a tremendous resume – Mark Sanchez, Akili Smith – who had one year of success in college, generally it doesn’t pan out that well.”

Don’t be confused. Trubisky was fantastic this season, completing 68 percent of his passes for 3,748 yards with 30 touchdowns and six picks. He was impressive at the NFL Combine, showing off great dual-threat abilities. Trubisky might be a fine pick.

But only 13 starts under his belt is a concern. North Carolina losing three of its last four games is a worry. There are issues surrounding Watson, but by no means is Trubisky a no-brainer to be the first quarterback taken.

“Do the 13 starts concern me? Yes, they do,” ESPN NFL analyst Jon Gruden said. “I don’t remember many quarterbacks coming out with just 13 career starts. (North Carolina) didn’t finish strong, either. They lost in the bowl game to Stanford. The Virginia Tech game was not good. They lost to Duke in a big game. They had a pretty good supporting cast around him. You’re going to see Bug Howard, (Ryan) Switzer, you’re going to see (T.J.) Logan, you’re going to see some of those men drafted.

“I would’ve liked to have seen (Trubisky) stay, but he is talented, he did get results, he did have some really good moments, in Tallahassee against FSU, bringing them back to beat Pitt. He is a dual-threat. A lot of people don’t realize how athletic Trubisky is, but he is still a big mystery to a lot of people.”

There is no riddle surrounding Watson, whose concern for NFL decision-makers is interceptions. He threw 17 this past season and 13 a year ago.

Gruden does not give Watson a pass. It’s certainly something to address, something to consider for San Francisco, the New York Jets, Cleveland and other teams looking for a quarterback in the first round, but is it enough to steer those teams to Trubisky instead?

“Interceptions are a big concern,” Gruden said. “We spent a lot of time looking at that. A lot of the interceptions, you can find, he will take full responsibility for. He may have forced it, he may have misread the coverage, perhaps, he missed a throw, and there are a number of those interceptions that aren’t his fault at all. We tried to point out some of those tipped passes, wide receivers not on the same page, not reading the coverage properly.

“I challenged him to slow it down, isolate the 32 interceptions (in Watson’s career) and put them all into categories and see which ones you can eliminate. I don’t think he was guilty of overthrowing passes or throwing the ball poorly, or making bad decisions too many times, but I do think there are some correctable things that he needs to take out of his game. He’s played a lot more games than all the other quarterbacks. Back-to-back seasons they’ve played 15 games, they use an up-tempo style, so they’re having a lot of snaps, but I do think some of them are correctable and he’ll fix those.”

The heated debate over whether Trubisky or Watson should be the first quarterback taken will rage all the way to Thursday’s NFL Draft and probably beyond it.

Watson has the championship ring but also some warts. Trubisky has all the physical skills, one excellent season, but a short resume.

If Gruden was making the pick, it sounds like Watson. But the way it’s shaping up, it sure looks like the North Carolina QB will be the first signal-caller taken.

“(Watson’s) body of work impressed me the most,” Gruden said. “He was in back-to-back national championship games. He beat the best team in college football. I love the poise he plays with.

“He plays his best football when they’re behind and all the chips are on the table. He did it in the national championship game. He’s got thick skin. He’s mentally tough. I saw him overcome three interceptions to beat Louisville. I saw him come back on the road to beat Florida State in the two-minute drill. I just like his poise, his mental toughness and I like his overall game. He’s athletic, he’s a dual-threat and he’s got the intangibles everyone craves.”

More from Gruden:

"Bro, you can't throw seam posts with nobody blocking, but you just did," Gruden told Goff. "That's the greatest throw in the history of throws. I see stuff like this, I'm saying 'What could this guy do if he had protection?'"

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

FWIW - The Bama team Tebow beat on his way to the National Championship included players such as Donte Hightower, Rolando Mclain, Javier Arenas, Terrance Cody, Kareem Jackson, Rashard Johnson....all drafted by NFL teams in the first 4 rounds...actually, all in the first 2 rounds. They had a couple other guys on the roster too who got drafted but later than round 4. 

Not impressed,lol. Hightower ok, McLain? Probably played high. I think this class will fair much better. 

17 hours ago, nico002 said:

Look what his freaking coaches have to say, in a few years we are going to regret passing in this guy because of radar gun reading.

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/16/dabo-swinney-stands-by-calling-deshaun-watson-michael-jordan/amp/

Wow, a coach talking up a player. Never would've guessed. He may become a great player, but if he has an average arm or less it's an issue that is going to get in his way regardless of everything else he has going for himself. I hope he's great if the Jets draft him of course. 

45 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

More from Gruden:

"Bro, you can't throw seam posts with nobody blocking, but you just did," Gruden told Goff. "That's the greatest throw in the history of throws. I see stuff like this, I'm saying 'What could this guy do if he had protection?'"

Yeah he also loved Geno"friggin"Smith as well. In a weak QB class you have to take what you can get.

9 hours ago, prime21 said:

are there any videos posted here or does someone have a link that show these into's?   I'm just curious to see how many of the 17 were bad throws/reads vs tipped balls or WR's running bad routes.  

Thanks

Cliff notes:

1) Overthrow intercepted by CB

2) Threw into triple coverage

3) Short sideline throw, not enough mustard, DB jumped the route, picked it off

4) Miscommunication with WR, don't know who was wrong

5) Poorly thrown ball behind receiver picked off by DB

6) Not on Watson...hit receiver in chest and it popped up to DB

7) Like the first one, overthrows receiver, picked off (WR may have been able to break it up if he'd turned around to locate the ball)

8) First pass of the game thrown directly to DB standing a few yards in front him, pick 6

9) Rolled out, looked like he didn't see the defender underneath and got picked off

10) CB showed blitz, dropped back in to coverage, Watson threw it right to him

11) looks like he didn't see the safety and thought he had 1-on-1 with his WR but safety picked it off

12) Hurried throw under pressure sailed high, WR effort was questionable but ball was off of his outstretched fingertips, picked off 

13) Play action fake inside the 10, throws in to double coverage, picked off

14) Not a great throw, but catchable ball goes off of Leggett's hands into awaiting defender.

15) DE bats the ball up at the line, picked off by LB

16) Mike Williams falls down and Gareon Conly gets the pick, but Williams falling down is moot IMO...Conley had already undercut the route and sounded like broadcaster was about to say Conley would've gotten it even if Williams hadn't fallen.

17) Overthrown pass picked off by Malik Hooker and broadcasters gush about Hooker having the best range in the country and how much ground he covered to get there.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

You're right.  He should be the pick.  He immediately changes the franchise not only from a talent standpoint but he also brings leadership qualities this team hasnt seen in a long long time.  He's exactly the type of face of the organization you want.  He possess the type of qualities that this particular sh*t head led team needs.  

But it wont be the pick because the Jets have Christian Hackenberg.

Not since the days of Timmy Tebow :)

11 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Either he's the real deal or not. If he isn't, then I can't live with 12. If he is, then I can live with 6.

This is exactly it.  If he's the real deal it doesn't matter where in the 1st you take him.  Plus, there's no way he'd ever slip to the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Cliff notes:

1) Overthrow intercepted by CB

2) Threw into triple coverage

3) Short sideline throw, not enough mustard, DB jumped the route, picked it off

4) Miscommunication with WR, don't know who was wrong

5) Poorly thrown ball behind receiver picked off by DB

6) Not on Watson...hit receiver in chest and it popped up to DB

7) Like the first one, overthrows receiver, picked off (WR may have been able to break it up if he'd turned around to locate the ball)

8) First pass of the game thrown directly to DB standing a few yards in front him, pick 6

9) Rolled out, looked like he didn't see the defender underneath and got picked off

10) CB showed blitz, dropped back in to coverage, Watson threw it right to him

11) looks like he didn't see the safety and thought he had 1-on-1 with his WR but safety picked it off

12) Hurried throw under pressure sailed high, WR effort was questionable but ball was off of his outstretched fingertips, picked off 

13) Play action fake inside the 10, throws in to double coverage, picked off

14) Not a great throw, but catchable ball goes off of Leggett's hands into awaiting defender.

15) DE bats the ball up at the line, picked off by LB

16) Mike Williams falls down and Gareon Conly gets the pick, but Williams falling down is moot IMO...Conley had already undercut the route and sounded like broadcaster was about to say Conley would've gotten it even if Williams hadn't fallen.

17) Overthrown pass picked off by Malik Hooker and broadcasters gush about Hooker having the best range in the country and how much ground he covered to get there.

Up 13 - 3 vs Auburn, 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, 3rd and 6, own 12
Gets pressured (lineman ends play with Watson in the grasp but standing) lets it fly (ball sort of floats) and overthrows receiver to the CB in coverage
3 - 3 vs Troy, start of the 2nd quarter, 3rd and 8, own 37
Gets pressured, RB picks up blitz at last second.  Under throws into double bracket coverage without the WR even turning around until after the interception
Up 13 - 10 vs Troy, 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, 3rd and 8, opponent's 46
Gets pressured from blind side (ends up on the ground), great play by safety to make the play, steps in front of receiver
Up 14 - 0 vs GA Tech, 2 minutes left in 2nd quarter, 1 & 14 on opponent 16
This play was on Gruden's QB camp.  WR went speed out and he threw the fade.  Miscommunication.
Down 0 - 7 vs Louisville, 11:30 minutes left in 2nd quarter, 1st & 10, opponent's 15
Play-action, throws behind Mike Williams coming across the field.  CB undercuts the throw in the endzone. Slow throw allows the CB to catch up
Up 28 - 10 vs Louisville, start of 3rd quarter, 2nd & 8, own 29 
Slant throw, in and out of the hands of the receiver (through the hands of the receiver), ball pops up and intercepted
Down 29 - 28 vs Louisville, 9:50 left in the 4th, 2 & 9, own 32
Up the middle blitz, lets it fly, over-throws wide receiver, ball hangs in the air.  Good play by corner
Up 10 - 3 vs NC State, start of 3rd quarter, 1st & 10, own 25
Pick six. CB shows man but drops off inside after snap and sits under the receiver. Safety comes over to cover the receiver.  Throws right to the corner, who was between receiver and Watson
Up 14 - 0 v Florida State, 12 minutes left in the 2nd, 3 & 1, opponent's 38
Heavy blitz (6 player blitz), corner covering the under receiver breaks coverage while watching Watson's eyes.  Watson does not see the corner dropping and attempts to throw to the deeper receiver which results in an interception. Great play by corner (announcers say he "baited" Watson)
Up 20 - 14 vs Florida State, 6:40 left in the 3rd quarter, 2nd & 8, own 35
Untouched blitzer comes off the edge (doesn't get there in time).  Play-action forces ball to the outside and throws to corner dropping underneath in coverage
Down 0 - 7 vs Pitt, 11 minutes left in the 1st, 2nd & 6, opponent's 13
Hangs ball to the corner on a fade route.  Twist play, but the corner breaks off coverage while reading Watson
Up 21 - 20 vs Pitt, 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, 3rd & 9, opponent's 44
Inside blitz comes, takes hit, throws high to the receiver, ball tipped by receiver and lands in the safeties hands. Good read though
Up 42 - 34 vs Pitt, 6 minutes left in the 4th, 2nd & G, opponent's 3 
Play-action roll out to the right, attempts to force it to the tight end, linebacker dropping intercepts.  Returned to the Clemson 30, tackled by Mike Williams
Up 21 - 0 vs South Carolina, 9 minutes left in the 2nd, 1st & 10, opponent 30
Looks to the outside, looks to the middle and throws to his tight end running a post.  The throw is too far in front and leads tight end into the safety.  Ball tipped by tight end, tipped by safety and finally caught by linebacker in coverage. This was a tight window to throw into, was triple coverage, if not for it being too far in front, it would have been a great play.  I think the tight 
Up 21 - 14 vs Virginia Tech, start of 3rd, 2nd & 7, own 36
Also, on Gruden's QB Camp. Ball tipped at the line, RT did not cut block which allowed the DE to get his hands up.  Linebacker eventually intercepted.  Busted the lineman's hand though.
0 - 0 vs Ohio State, opening drive on own 18
Sideline throw, Williams falls down and Conley makes the play, was great coverage, should not have thrown even if Williams did not slip.
Up 10 - 0 vs Ohio State, 8:30 left in the 2nd, 3rd & 7, opponent's 37
Play-action rollout right, floats one to the front corner of the endzone, Hooker makes a great play.  This is often seen on highlight reels for Hooker.

Reveals with his eyes where he is going
Bad at post-snap reads, doesn't see players dropping
Too much reliance on pre-snap read
Under throws receivers
Lets balls hang in the air giving time for corners and safeties to make plays on the ball
Forces throws even when the play is not there (probably due to the offense not neccessarily the player) 
Not willing to take the hit and shy's away which leads to under thrown balls and errant throws

4 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Gruden's pick is actually Mahomes.  He states it during the best of episode.  Who would you take number 1? Fast forward to 55 seconds

"You know I'm torn, but you can't sit on the fence.  I'm gonna take, I'm gonna take Mahomes out of Texas Tech..."

2 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Gruden's pick is actually Mahomes.  He states it during the best of episode.  Who would you take number 1? Fast forward to 55 seconds

"You know I'm torn, but you can't sit on the fence.  I'm gonna take, I'm gonna take Mahomes out of Texas Tech..."

Well since in the draft contest I picked Mahomes going to San Fran at #2 I'm not surprised. The post you responded to was comparing Watson and Trubisky. Ok?

2 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Up 13 - 3 vs Auburn, 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, 3rd and 6, own 12
Gets pressured (lineman ends play with Watson in the grasp but standing) lets it fly (ball sort of floats) and overthrows receiver to the CB in coverage
3 - 3 vs Troy, start of the 2nd quarter, 3rd and 8, own 37
Gets pressured, RB picks up blitz at last second.  Under throws into double bracket coverage without the WR even turning around until after the interception
Up 13 - 10 vs Troy, 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, 3rd and 8, opponent's 46
Gets pressured from blind side (ends up on the ground), great play by safety to make the play, steps in front of receiver
Up 14 - 0 vs GA Tech, 2 minutes left in 2nd quarter, 1 & 14 on opponent 16
This play was on Gruden's QB camp.  WR went speed out and he threw the fade.  Miscommunication.
Down 0 - 7 vs Louisville, 11:30 minutes left in 2nd quarter, 1st & 10, opponent's 15
Play-action, throws behind Mike Williams coming across the field.  CB undercuts the throw in the endzone. Slow throw allows the CB to catch up
Up 28 - 10 vs Louisville, start of 3rd quarter, 2nd & 8, own 29 
Slant throw, in and out of the hands of the receiver (through the hands of the receiver), ball pops up and intercepted
Down 29 - 28 vs Louisville, 9:50 left in the 4th, 2 & 9, own 32
Up the middle blitz, lets it fly, over-throws wide receiver, ball hangs in the air.  Good play by corner
Up 10 - 3 vs NC State, start of 3rd quarter, 1st & 10, own 25
Pick six. CB shows man but drops off inside after snap and sits under the receiver. Safety comes over to cover the receiver.  Throws right to the corner, who was between receiver and Watson
Up 14 - 0 v Florida State, 12 minutes left in the 2nd, 3 & 1, opponent's 38
Heavy blitz (6 player blitz), corner covering the under receiver breaks coverage while watching Watson's eyes.  Watson does not see the corner dropping and attempts to throw to the deeper receiver which results in an interception. Great play by corner (announcers say he "baited" Watson)
Up 20 - 14 vs Florida State, 6:40 left in the 3rd quarter, 2nd & 8, own 35
Untouched blitzer comes off the edge (doesn't get there in time).  Play-action forces ball to the outside and throws to corner dropping underneath in coverage
Down 0 - 7 vs Pitt, 11 minutes left in the 1st, 2nd & 6, opponent's 13
Hangs ball to the corner on a fade route.  Twist play, but the corner breaks off coverage while reading Watson
Up 21 - 20 vs Pitt, 7 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, 3rd & 9, opponent's 44
Inside blitz comes, takes hit, throws high to the receiver, ball tipped by receiver and lands in the safeties hands. Good read though
Up 42 - 34 vs Pitt, 6 minutes left in the 4th, 2nd & G, opponent's 3 
Play-action roll out to the right, attempts to force it to the tight end, linebacker dropping intercepts.  Returned to the Clemson 30, tackled by Mike Williams
Up 21 - 0 vs South Carolina, 9 minutes left in the 2nd, 1st & 10, opponent 30
Looks to the outside, looks to the middle and throws to his tight end running a post.  The throw is too far in front and leads tight end into the safety.  Ball tipped by tight end, tipped by safety and finally caught by linebacker in coverage. This was a tight window to throw into, was triple coverage, if not for it being too far in front, it would have been a great play.  I think the tight 
Up 21 - 14 vs Virginia Tech, start of 3rd, 2nd & 7, own 36
Also, on Gruden's QB Camp. Ball tipped at the line, RT did not cut block which allowed the DE to get his hands up.  Linebacker eventually intercepted.  Busted the lineman's hand though.
0 - 0 vs Ohio State, opening drive on own 18
Sideline throw, Williams falls down and Conley makes the play, was great coverage, should not have thrown even if Williams did not slip.
Up 10 - 0 vs Ohio State, 8:30 left in the 2nd, 3rd & 7, opponent's 37
Play-action rollout right, floats one to the front corner of the endzone, Hooker makes a great play.  This is often seen on highlight reels for Hooker.

Reveals with his eyes where he is going
Bad at post-snap reads, doesn't see players dropping
Too much reliance on pre-snap read
Under throws receivers
Lets balls hang in the air giving time for corners and safeties to make plays on the ball
Forces throws even when the play is not there (probably due to the offense not neccessarily the player) 
Not willing to take the hit and shy's away which leads to under thrown balls and errant throws

These are all correctable flaws as Gruden points out. The last one is complete and utter nonsense as on multiple websites and scouting reports cite one of Watsons strengths is the ability to take the hit to make the completion. If you don't like the guy fine. Don't make sh*t up to back up your opinions of the man.

8 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

These are all correctable flaws as Gruden points out. The last one is complete and utter nonsense as on multiple websites and scouting reports cite one of Watsons strengths is the ability to take the hit to make the completion. If you don't like the guy fine. Don't make sh*t up to back up your opinions of the man.

Those points are not from Watson's full body of work, only from the interceptions he threw.  I should have stated that.  Actually I like Watson from a prospect perspective, it was just during those interceptions, those 7 things came up.  

By the way, that last one came from Saban when talking about Watson after the first National Championship game.  Had it in my notes but will search to see if the interviews is posted anywhere.  Saban had mentioned that the way they wanted to slow down Watson was to hit him early and often and if you can't get there, just get people around his legs cause he tends to release the ball earlier than he should.  I guess that was their game plan the second game too but obviously didn't work as they wanted it to.

1 minute ago, nyjbuddy said:

Those points are not from Watson's full body of work, only from the interceptions he threw.  I should have stated that.  Actually I like Watson from a prospect perspective, it was just during those interceptions, those 7 things came up.  

By the way, that last one came from Saban when talking about Watson after the first National Championship game.  Had it in my notes but will search to see if the interviews is posted anywhere.  Saban had mentioned that the way they wanted to slow down Watson was to hit him early and often and if you can't get there, just get people around his legs cause he tends to release the ball earlier than he should.  I guess that was their game plan the second game too but obviously didn't work as they wanted it to.

Yeah that worked well. Clemson almost beat them the first time and then we all know what happened the next time. Saban is the last guy to talk about shutting down Watson for those reasons alone.

What did Pete carrol say about mark Sanchez? This is more than saying nice things, it's not normal coach building up his guys type of stuff.

Watching Watson I see:
- a very quick release
- good mobility 
- when in a pocket stays in there and can take a hit 
- good arm strength
- clutch
- proven winner, plays great in biggest stage
whats not to like?
imo worst case scenario he's dak Prescott 

Pete Carroll said Sanchez wasn't ready. And he was right. But I'm not sure staying in school longer would have made a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived