Barnidge

Dcat

While this is hardly a type of team to typically be looking for older short-term options, in this particular case if it were to help in the evaluation of Petty and/or Hackenberg, that makes it a bit more worthwhile.  Even if the Jets were to draft a kid at some point, you could still let him and ASJ fight it out for a spot, assuming of course the price is low.

I'm not looking to tank a season to see if Hack has it or not. If he wins the job in training camp than that's a win win. But if McCown does he starts. If the rest of the team plays well we will be competitive with McCown. If you're competitive you have a chance to get in the playoffs. There are few teams right now that much better than the Jets. 

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

In an obvious rebuilding season I would much rather look at ASJ and other young kids instead of a 31 year old player like Barnidge.

Not that I disagree completely, but we're also supposed to be looking at two young QBs to give each a proper live tryout. If Barnidge gives them one less excuse for failure, I can rationalize that. Similar to Powell (or Forte, but not both); they are both such reliable blockers and receivers, that it's easy to overlook how much easier they make it for a QB (despite Forte showing his age with the ball in hand).

Where I have difficulty with such rationalizations is signing short-term has-beens on defense. All they do is rob potential future starters of snaps (especially with a veteran player softy of a HC).

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Not that I disagree completely, but we're also supposed to be looking at two young QBs to give each a proper live tryout. If Barnidge gives them one less excuse for failure, I can rationalize that. Similar to Powell (or Forte, but not both); they are both such reliable blockers and receivers, that it's easy to overlook how much easier they make it for a QB (despite Forte showing his age with the ball in hand).

Where I have difficulty with such rationalizations is signing short-term has-beens on defense. All they do is rob potential future starters of snaps (especially with a veteran player softy of a HC).

Yeah I get that. It woudnt be the end of the world if they brought him in. But the Jets do have reliable guys at the skill positions. Even if they don't have any elite players. Decker, Enunwa, Powell, and Forte can all help a young QB. 

Barnidge's best value could come from blocking, if that's a strength of his.

Archived