Chad Pennington Question

TuscanyTile2

18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I said in my opinion. You have yours.   Sanchez won 11 games in 2010.  Went to 2 AFC championship games etc. .  it's enough to support my opinion. You simply disagree.  

The Jets won the games. Sanchez played, mostly poor to average, in those games. The facts don't lie.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Jets won the games. Sanchez played, mostly poor to average, in those games. The facts don't lie.

you couldn't be more wrong.  you don't understand facts.

you aren't winning 4 road games w/o quality QB play.  Our D was good, it was not great, even the great Bears and Ravens D's couldn't win w/o help from the QBs and we certainly weren't anywhere near those D's.

The Namath hate was ridiculous.  Sure he didn't have as great a career as he might have, but...

He was the best player in football for a decent period of time.  The best player on the field more often than not and he led the league in yards three times, TDs once and YPA twice.  He also won the big game which is more than anyone can say for Chad, Mark or any of the other sh*theads you are touting. 

If I hear one more ******* time that the #1 D in scoring and yards was not great I will ******* start choking people.  That is frowned upon in my office, so please refrain. 

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Namath hate was ridiculous.  Sure he didn't have as great a career as he might have, but...

He was the best player in football for a decent period of time.  The best player on the field more often than not and he led the league in yards three times, TDs once and YPA twice.  He also won the big game which is more than anyone can say for Chad, Mark or any of the other sh*theads you are touting. 

If I hear one more ******* time that the #1 D in scoring and yards was not great I will ******* start choking people.  That is frowned upon in my office, so please refrain. 

That D was not great, at all, it was a fraud defense, just like its fraud coach.  I Agree about Namath, so hopefully I don't get ******* choked

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he was the 2nd best QB in football that year(after Rich Gannon).  Remember, we were beat up early and started 1-4/2-5 and won a very tough division where we had the beginning of the Pats dynasty(ONLY season Brady didn't win div title) and the last place team was a .500 team.

on the road at Ne preventing Brady from winning the div title(again, only one he didn't win) wasn't a legit good team?  NE wouldn't lose another game at home until THREE seasons later.

beating 12-3 GB w/ Favre when GB was playing for homefield in the NFC playoffs wasn't a win over a legit good team?

I hear all the time how Peyton was just the bestest QB of all time, he badly outplayed him in the playoffs.

2003 he beat a very good Ten team

In 2004 beat SD at SD twice and SD was a really good team w/ a young Brees.  also whipped Seattle who was a playoff team and would be a SB team a year later.

2006 beat NE on the road again, NE wouldn't lose another reg season home game w/ Brady until 2012.

Chad was outstanding, his career as just derailed by injuries.

Chad had 1 good season (until the Raiders exposed him in the playoffs).  It was mostly mediocrity at best after that.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he was the 2nd best QB in football that year(after Rich Gannon).  Remember, we were beat up early and started 1-4/2-5 and won a very tough division where we had the beginning of the Pats dynasty(ONLY season Brady didn't win div title) and the last place team was a .500 team.

on the road at Ne preventing Brady from winning the div title(again, only one he didn't win) wasn't a legit good team?  NE wouldn't lose another game at home until THREE seasons later.

beating 12-3 GB w/ Favre when GB was playing for homefield in the NFC playoffs wasn't a win over a legit good team?

I hear all the time how Peyton was just the bestest QB of all time, he badly outplayed him in the playoffs.

2003 he beat a very good Ten team

In 2004 beat SD at SD twice and SD was a really good team w/ a young Brees.  also whipped Seattle who was a playoff team and would be a SB team a year later.

2006 beat NE on the road again, NE wouldn't lose another reg season home game w/ Brady until 2012.

I have a bridge to sell you.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Those are opinions.... I remember everlasting come back wins in 2010.   Regardless this is a straw argument.

If Chad was healthy....  he'd be the better bet.  But.he never was.  Even in 2008, his so called 11 win season, he shlt the bed and they lost the 1st playoff game with ...4 picks? 5?  He was a joke in the big games. 

Followed by a typical Chad 2009 season...injuries, mediocrity etc.  

i bet Miami has fans that start threads about the great Chad and what could have been. 

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Every 3-4 months we get a good 10 page Chad thread going.  Legends are never forgotten.  

Jets fans seem to love nothing more than debating which of our sh*tty QB's was the best or how great they could have been if only, if only...

14 minutes ago, gEYno said:

And Chad Pennington was good enough to consistently beat bad teams, and not good enough to ever beat good ones.

Yet, Chad did somehow win 2 playoff games during his time here, something that the sainted Andy Dalton, who so many on this site swear is an elite QB, has never done. Talk about bums, the list begins and ends with Dalton.

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

Joe. Ken. Vinny. Chad.

Our best QBs, in order.  No one else warrants consideration.

Joe Namath, 2-1 playoff record, 3 TD's, 4 INT's, 54.8 QBR

Ken O'Brien, 0-2 playoff record, 2 TD's, 4 INT's, 74.5 QBR

Vinny Testaverde, 1-2 playoff record, 6 TD's, 5 INT's, 85.0 QBR

Chad Pennington, 2-3 playoff record, 7 TD's, 4 INT's, 83.2 QBR

Mark Sanchez, 4-2 playoff record, 9 TD's, 3 INT's, 94.3 QBR

Mark Sanchez, most playoff games played, fewest INT's, most TD's, highest QBR.

Doesn't warrant consideration!  We don't need 23 year old clutch playoff performers like that!  Run this bum out of town!

SAR I

19 hours ago, nyjunc said:

This is where you go off the rails.

When one's career is defined by the times he didn't suit up and take the field, there is no way he is characterized as "outstanding".  2002 Chad Pennington was a one-hit wonder who, with a HOF running back, HOF center, and Top 5 defense, got hot as the "win it for the young guy" QB for a 4 game stretch, that's it. 

From that moment forward, he either 1) wasn't smart enough to throw the ball away and avoid devastating injury or 2) was healthy but played poorly.

When you look at the talent he had around him and the start he got off to, Chad Pennington was nothing but "disappointing".  That's how you should look at him.

SAR I

19 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Namath, Vinny, Chad and Sanchez are the best QBs in our history.

best single seasons?  Vinny '98 and Chad '02

Sorry, but Chad was 8-5 in 2002, that's not "best single season" material.

Mark Sanchez was 11-5 in 2010, second best record in team history, featured 5 games with epic 4th quarter comebacks based solely on his arm.

Once Mark Sanchez shook off the rookie jitters, he and the Jets went on a 16-4 run in the next 20 games, the best such stretch in team history.  He was 4-2 in the playoffs and was the best Jet on the field in 2 consecutive AFCCG's.

This enshrinement for Chad Pennington and disrespect for Mark Sanchez has to end.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Joe Namath, 2-1 playoff record, 3 TD's, 4 INT's, 54.8 QBR

Ken O'Brien, 0-2 playoff record, 2 TD's, 4 INT's, 74.5 QBR

Vinny Testaverde, 1-2 playoff record, 6 TD's, 5 INT's, 85.0 QBR

Chad Pennington, 2-3 playoff record, 7 TD's, 4 INT's, 83.2 QBR

Mark Sanchez, 4-2 playoff record, 9 TD's, 3 INT's, 94.3 QBR

Mark Sanchez, most playoff games played, fewest INT's, most TD's, highest QBR.

Doesn't warrant consideration!  We don't need 23 year old clutch playoff performers like that!  Run this bum out of town!

SAR I

Yes, let's compare Namath's play when 4 teams made the playoffs to Sanchez playing wild card games against the Bengals or the 10-6 Colts.  I have a pretty good feeling that the '68 Raiders or '69 Chiefs would have dismantled those stiffs.

They didn't run him out of town until he played like sh*t in 2012 and missed the 2013 season.  Also, his YPA were borderline laughable. 

Just now, SAR I said:

Sorry, but Chad was 8-5 in 2002, that's not "best single season" material.

Mark Sanchez was 11-5 in 2010, second best record in team history, featured 5 games with epic 4th quarter comebacks based solely on his arm.

Once Mark Sanchez shook off the rookie jitters, he and the Jets went on a 16-4 run in the next 20 games, the best such stretch in team history.

This disrespect for Mark Sanchez has to end.

SAR I

Based solely on his arm?  The piece of sh*t single handedly lost 3 of those 5 games and played so poorly in a 4th that even had the D shown up and shut down the Pats it still would have been hopeless.  While you are sucking him off for the "comeback" against the Browns maybe think of his INT in OT. 

19 hours ago, gEYno said:

They both suck.

The Jets have Joe Namath and 10 games of healthy Brett Favre.

yoyo_zpsd443ce64.jpg

Once Mark Sanchez shook off his rookie jitters, the Jets went on a 16-4 run, the best in team history.  Then he won 2 more playoff games.  Then he had us at 8-5 the next season before the Defense let Victor Cruz up the sideline, the lack of offensive players, and the Rex Ryan Scapegoat Machine took him down.

We should have gotten rid of Rex Ryan and kept Mark Sanchez and Mike Tannenbaum instead of the other way around.  History now shows this to be one of the biggest tragedies in team history.

SAR I

19 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Put Vinny ahead of Sanchez or I will pee on your tires. 

Can't.  See earlier post.

The entire point of playing NFL football is to win a Championship and you can't win a Championship without a clutch postseason quarterback and Vinny Testaverde wasn't half the postseason quarterback Mark Sanchez was.

VT played badly in the AFCCG in Denver.  You can't say that about MS in the AFCCGs in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh.

SAR I

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't define "best" by being carried by others. Hence why Sanchez isn't on my list.

Who was carrying Mark Sanchez in 2010 at age 23 when he led 5 comebacks against the Texans, Broncos, Lions, Browns, and Steelers?  Or in postseason games where he went 4-2 and had 9 TD's and 3 INT's and a 94.3 QBR?

Don't say the defense-  they (as always) let the opponents score late and put us in a hole.  Don't say the RB, because the RB can't run if the QB isn't keeping the RB's honest.  Don't say the HC, he was a numbskull making countless strategic errors.

So who was the "carrier"?  Who picked up Mark Sanchez in his arms and swaddled him in the bosom of quarterback success?  And why didn't that swaddling bosom "carry" Geno Smith to similar success?

SAR I

18 hours ago, chirorob said:

AJ Duhe says you need to shut up.

Todd is ahead of O'Brien because O'Brien didn't win a playoff game and Todd was 2-2.

Todd had 4 TD's and 12 INT's and a 53.2 QBR.  And people put him ahead of Mark Sanchez in the pantheon of Jets QB's.  LOL.

SAR I

17 hours ago, Savage69 said:

He's not especially with he had to work with Toon,Walker,Mickey Shuler and Freeman and the sack exchange D.. Some here grew up with Ken at QB but the fact we took Ken over Marino who was lighting it up with 2 5'9 wr's is something many of us will never forget..

Exactly.

Chad Pennington is the Ken O'Brien of the 00's.  Lots of promise, huge amount of talent around him, utter disappointment.

Compared to the offensive talent Pennington and O'Brien had, a guy like Mark Sanchez by all rights should not have succeeded at all.  But yet he did.  Because maybe, I don't know, he was a good quarterback.

SAR I

17 hours ago, nyjunc said:

as a kid(and a young QB) I loved Ken, it wasn't until I was older and understood the game better that I realized he was holding us back all those years.  he put up some nice #s, had some great highlight reel throws so some overrate him but he was not a very good QB.

Well put.

Some QB's have the "clutch" gene and some don't.  Ken O'Brien and Chad Pennington were 100% don't's.

SAR I

@SAR I 

How can you look at all the chances he has had since he was QB here, all the opportunities and still claim that this guy wasnt a product of a very good, defense, Oline and RBs here with the Jets.  The only thing I can agree with you on was that there were a few glimpses early in career that he could be the man.  I do remember a few game winning drives that gave me hope he could be that QB we had been looking for.  Unfortunately those glimpses faded away and were replaced with dejected and confused looks as he walked off the field after throwing picks...

Archived