Your first 100 days as the new owner of the New York Jets...

T0mShane

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

But it was an interesting proposition.  I have Many wealthy clients.  Their behavior is different from the rest. Most wealthly people earn it and aren't born into it.  So.....decisions they make are the difference.

Thus....   simply behave like the top teams do is a BIG step in the right direction but trust fund baby's can't.  Look at Woody, Snyder, Wilpon etc. They all think they can do it better.

Well, Woody tried to do that when he hired Manginius.

I think Woody is a buffoon and the buck stops with him -- but he's trying to win. Poor dope just doesn't have any instincts for who to hire... And I think making those really good hires is harder than many fans realize.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Maxman said:

The first thing I would do is get rid of the no tailgating lot. And I would do a survey of any fans that didn't like tailgating. They would be hit with a 12% surcharge.

:)

Mets fans and tailgaters are the ruination of the Jets.

Mets fans are sensitive, easily triggered, and completely intolerant of embarrassment, their ESPN Buttfumble crying to management got our young quarterback prospect with 4 playoff wins booted out of town.  Tailgaters get blotto and don't actually watch the very games they pay to attend, they let our management get away with crappy decisions because they are too drunk to notice.  So Woody only has to coddle the Mets fans and their sensitivities and indulge the tailgaters with liberal alcohol policies and the quality of play on the field actually doesn't matter.  Mets fans and booze pay the bills, apparently.

SAR I

5 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

That stadium would have been a fabulous economic engine for NYC.

James (I am a franchise ruining wannabe rock star ) Dolan and Sidney (I am a convicted crooked politician felon) Sheldon blocked it.

NCAA, Olympics, Concerts, Political conventions, Trade shows, Super Bowls, Business conventions, Jobs, Tax revenue, area restaurants and on and on...

it would have crushed it.

NCAA (MSG is a great regional), Olympics (possible only once every 30 years), Concerts (MSG and MetLife are better), Political conventions (MSG + Javitz did just fine), Trade shows (Javitz hosts plenty), Super Bowls (MetLife hosted one, remember?), Business conventions (Javitz hosts plenty).

Like your argument, a West Side football stadium would have been a redundancy.

SAR I

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

How many super bowls did Tanny and George Allen win?

Only teams that are built to go deep into the playoffs have a shot at winning a Super Bowl.  You need to build one of those before you can even think Super Bowl.

I'd rather be a fan of a team that is sniffing the playoffs every year for 20 straight seasons (Jets) than one that isn't (Bills, Dolphins, Raiders, Browns).

SAR I

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, Woody tried to do that when he hired Manginius.

I think Woody is a buffoon and the buck stops with him -- but he's trying to win. Poor dope just doesn't have any instincts for who to hire... And I think making those really good hires is harder than many fans realize.

Trying.....  that is a word used by those who didn't succeed.  

All are  trying. 

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Only teams that are built to go deep into the playoffs have a shot at winning a Super Bowl.  You need to build one of those before you can even think Super Bowl.

I'd rather be a fan of a team that is sniffing the playoffs every year for 20 straight seasons (Jets) than one that isn't (Bills, Dolphins, Raiders, Browns).

SAR I

Well imo you need to build a base through the draft because you simply cannot sing all the good FAs.   And the guys you can get are usally not young or at their peak.

It's smart to add via free agency when you are close or if you can get a young guy who has high potnetial, (see Carpenter, young fa that has been good for us.)

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Who said that. I just find it hilarious that so many believe that Harbaugh is the magical elixir, when his pedigree is hardly pro football management. 

Just firing Mac and Bowles alone is a huge step in the right direction 

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

NCAA (MSG is a great regional), Olympics (possible only once every 30 years), Concerts (MSG and MetLife are better), Political conventions (MSG + Javitz did just fine), Trade shows (Javitz hosts plenty), Super Bowls (MetLife hosted one, remember?), Business conventions (Javitz hosts plenty).

Like your argument, a West Side football stadium would have been a redundancy.

SAR I

MSG MSG MSG MSG Ahhhhh Dolan fanboy? Really? 

You deride the very stadium proposal that would have given you such joy by .......

Killing off the tailgaters you despise. 

Raising the PSL cost to a level only the top 10% earners like yourself could afford effectively eliminating the hotdog eating cursers, pukers, sub $30K car driving 

uncultured louts you despise.

Getting rid of all the blue collar farters because the local restaurants would be strictly haute cuisine with top shelf wines and liquors.

SB? Metlife hosted one SB and it may never host another. People froze there butts off. The west side stadium could have hosted one every 5-6 years.

Concerts? Met life sucks for concerts. it has weather and traffic problems that will never go away. (OK go see Bruce there in the winter and report back lol.)

Javits? It was to be incorporated into the west side plan.

MSG and NCAA?  Remind me when was the last time (never) MSG hosted the final 4?? West side could have sold 50,000 tickets for each game in hours.

Having said all that. Metlife is real,  the West Side plan is a distant memory. 

I go to see the Jets at Metlife. Its not bad. Its much better than Giants stadium or Shea but what could have been and how it was taken away from Jets fans  by crooked politicians and a rival billionaire platinum spooner still stings.

Strong response expected, dont disappoint ! ☺

I would start by making outlandish and controversial statements about just about everything (sex, politics, money, race, religion, etc) in the press.  I would then show up at 345 Hudson and walk in on Christie and Carton.  I would instigate a fight with Christie over beach chairs and bridge closings.  It'll wind up like the skinheads on Geraldo or Al Sharpton on Morton Downey.  That'll get us the backpage without resorting to signing over the hill FAs.  I would then look to see which QBs plan to come out.  Jan might be too early, but have my black ops reach out to Darnold to see what it would take for him to come out (coaching staff preferences, etc).  If he's a no and there is no other prospects that get me wet, I'll keep the Mac/Bowles for 2018.  Just to eff with Mac/Bowles I'd force Rex on them as DC.  That should lock down the #1 pick in 2019.  

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well imo you need to build a base through the draft because you simply cannot sing all the good FAs.   And the guys you can get are usally not young or at their peak.

It's smart to add via free agency when you are close or if you can get a young guy who has high potnetial, (see Carpenter, young fa that has been good for us.)

I agree with all of this.

Think of it this way:  Somehow, the way the forum experts tell you, through so-called "mismanagement" with a "bad GM" and "terrible draft picks", the New York Jets only had 6 losing seasons in the last 20 campaigns, had a winning record 12 times, made the playoffs 7 times, were considered an elite AFC team 5 times, and along the way built a Top 5 offensive line, a Top 5 rushing attack, a Top 5 secondary, and the necessary pieces to make deep playoff runs 3 times not only through free agency but through the draft too.

This fallacy that one has to commit to a "patient rebuild" is nonsense and the Jets didn't need to blow things up to this degree this season.  It's an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction to a twitchy fanbase who says they want whatever the opposite is of what they have at any given moment.  Tanny's way was the right way. 

SAR I

21 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

MSG MSG MSG MSG Ahhhhh Dolan fanboy? Really? 

You deride the very stadium proposal that would have given you such joy by .......

Killing off the tailgaters you despise. 

Raising the PSL cost to a level only the top 10% earners like yourself could afford effectively eliminating the hotdog eating cursers, pukers, sub $30K car driving 

uncultured louts you despise.

Getting rid of all the blue collar farters because the local restaurants would be strictly haute cuisine with top shelf wines and liquors.

SB? Metlife hosted one SB and it may never host another. People froze there butts off. The west side stadium could have hosted one every 5-6 years.

Concerts? Met life sucks for concerts. it has weather and traffic problems that will never go away. (OK go see Bruce there in the winter and report back lol.)

Javits? It was to be incorporated into the west side plan.

MSG and NCAA?  Remind me when was the last time (never) MSG hosted the final 4?? West side could have sold 50,000 tickets for each game in hours.

Strong response expected, dont disappoint ! ☺

Agree completely that a Manhattan stadium would have been a paradise for me personally, but for the health of the franchise and it's (mostly pathetic blue collar) fans there is no argument here.  Sharing a co-owned stadium 50/50 with the Giants is the very best approach. 

And even if you take all the parking issues, commuting issues, tailgating issues, and ticket price issues out of the equation, there are only 10 NFL games played a year at a home stadium.  It makes no sense to have 2 stadiums with 710 unsold dates within 5 miles of each other.  There aren't 710 days worth of conventions, trade shows, NCAA finals, Olympics, or concerts on the entire east coast let alone along the Hudson River.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Having said all that. Metlife is real,  the West Side plan is a distant memory. 

I go to see the Jets at Metlife. Its not bad. Its much better than Giants stadium or Shea but what could have been and how it was taken away from Jets fans  by crooked politicians and a rival billionaire platinum spooner still stings.

Something to understand:  The WSS was never going to happen because the Olympics was never going to happen.

There was a 1% chance the Olympic committee would award the games to the United States and then choose New York City as the place to hold the summer games.  The plan was ludicrous.  But all it cost Woody Johnson was a few million dollars.  It was a lottery ticket.  If the unthinkable happened and the Olympics were awarded to New York then Woody would have gotten the most expensive free real estate in the world.  It was a land grab, a shot at the brass ring, it was you buying a $1 lottery ticket that could be worth $100 million.

The only collateral damage in this was that some fans (like you apparently) couldn't see this for what it was and actually believed that it was going to happen.  And when it didn't, you blamed the Dolan's and the crooked politicians when Mr. Johnson already had a deal with the Mara's and the Tisch's and was ready to get the NJ stadium deal done and moving.  I'm sorry you were duped by the rhetoric, but very few people were.  The Jets had a rally at Javitz, less than 50 people showed up.  The Jets talked to Queens for a few days, they scheduled a rally, no one (and I mean that....no one) showed up.  No one wanted a Manhattan stadium and no one thought there was any chance that the Olympic games were going to come to Manhattan.  So when it fizzled it didn't upset anyone.  Except about 10 people in Jets forums who still refuse to accept the fact that they were naive.

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Agree completely that a Manhattan stadium would have been a paradise for me personally, but for the health of the franchise and it's (mostly pathetic blue collar) fans there is no argument here.  Sharing a co-owned stadium 50/50 with the Giants is the very best approach. 

And even if you take all the parking issues, commuting issues, tailgating issues, and ticket price issues out of the equation, there are only 10 NFL games played a year at a home stadium.  It makes no sense to have 2 stadiums with 710 unsold dates within 5 miles of each other.  There aren't 710 days worth of conventions, trade shows, NCAA finals, Olympics, or concerts on the entire east coast let alone along the Hudson River.

SAR I

Why 710 ?????  Half those dates are Giants problems and NJ problems.

BofA stadium here is used for weddings, Fortune 500 meetings and dozens of other non sports activities.   I believe the west side could have been busy 100 to 200 days a year.

The west side stadium could have been a boom to the area but in my view, local and national developers wanted that land and thus no stadium. 

Here we are...the bastard red headed step child .   Half the fan base now has to pay 2 tolls, parking, PSLs etc.

Here  in Charlotte and many cities you can get to the stadium in 20 minutes, pay $20 to park and you are in a downtown stadium.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Wrong as usual.  Ive had season tickets since 77.  

Supporting a team isnt about doing it when theyre winning and whining without any support when theyre not.

That would be a fair weather fan, a step up for you

Congrats you want a cookie? No really at times I wish I was still a season ticket holder and eventually I will be. (working on paying off student loans)

I support the NY Jets win or lose you cant buy loyalty because you write a check for tickets, some sell them to opposing teams fans for profit. 

Im a diehard lifelong fan. 

4 hours ago, batman10023 said:

i'd love to be on the other side of you doing a deal....

he'd take 5-10% gladly to do that job.

Pat Riley would still be the Knicks Coach/GM if he was allowed a 1-2% share of MSG and Dolan said no

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Here  in Charlotte and many cities you can get to the stadium in 20 minutes, pay $20 to park and you are in a downtown stadium.

Yeah but to be fair most cities don't have New York's population density and logistical issues

Tailgating would have disappeared with the WSS.  Also, Season Ticket prices would have been inflated the way they are with Knicks games but way worse.  Only 1 percenters with corporate accounts on Wall St and celebrities like Howard Stern who don't even show up most of the time would have tickets

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mets fans are sensitive, easily triggered, and completely intolerant of embarrassment, their ESPN Buttfumble crying to management got our young quarterback prospect with 4 playoff wins booted out of town.  Tailgaters get blotto and don't actually watch the very games they pay to attend, they let our management get away with crappy decisions because they are too drunk to notice.  So Woody only has to coddle the Mets fans and their sensitivities and indulge the tailgaters with liberal alcohol policies and the quality of play on the field actually doesn't matter.  Mets fans and booze pay the bills, apparently.

SAR I

Skankee fans are self entitled whiners who feel that they are above everyone else just because their team has won the amount of Championships they have. Thanks for proving this point with your post. Elitist Scumbags are the problem. Its cool now type a typical one line answer or ignore this post because you are so entitled.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Congrats you want a cookie? No really at times I wish I was still a season ticket holder and eventually I will be. (working on paying off student loans)

I support the NY Jets win or lose you cant buy loyalty because you write a check for tickets, some sell them to opposing teams fans for profit. 

Im a diehard lifelong fan. 

Wait you tell me I didn't support my team, didn't know how long then ask me if I want a cookie when I tell you how long I've been going to games?  

I don't ever sell games because I don't want to watch them play.  

You dont support the team like a fan when you said you'll support them when they win.   

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Woody loves the tailgaters. They go to 10 games a year.

Not all tailgaters drink. I will be there 5 hours early on Saturday and I won't consume an ounce of alcohol, I never do.

You should drop the stereotypes, you are off base. 

7 hours ago, thadude said:

Yeah but to be fair most cities don't have New York's population density and logistical issues

Tailgating would have disappeared with the WSS.  Also, Season Ticket prices would have been inflated the way they are with Knicks games but way worse.  Only 1 percenters with corporate accounts on Wall St and celebrities like Howard Stern who don't even show up most of the time would have tickets

understood... no easy answers.  But the average Joe is getting it up the arse anyway. Even here, ticket prices are ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Woody loves the tailgaters. They go to 10 games a year.

Not all tailgaters drink. I will be there 5 hours early on Saturday and I won't consume an ounce of alcohol, I never do.

You should drop the stereotypes, you are off base. 

You are the exception, not the rule.

The tailgaters that I have seen for decades in the Meadowlands were not like you, not at all.  The rude people in the lots who litter and curse and the couple that sits next to me in my section are more the norm.  They show up halfway through the first quarter reeking of beer.  After a series, the wife gets up to go to the bathroom and comes back with two beers.  Ten minutes later, the husband gets up to go to the bathroom and comes back with two beers.  It's a precision machine designed to consume as much alcohol as possible.  Their timing is impeccable.  And this repeats itself 3 more times, up and down, beer goes in, piss comes out, until we get to the midway point of the third quarter when they leave to clean up their tailgate and drive home either slightly buzzed or hung over.  Thankfully they only show up for half the games, give their tickets to their kids who don't drink and actually want to watch the action on the field.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You are the exception, not the rule.

The tailgaters that I have seen for decades in the Meadowlands were not like you, not at all.  The rude people in the lots who litter and curse and the couple that sits next to me in my section are more the norm.  They show up halfway through the first quarter reeking of beer.  After a series, the wife gets up to go to the bathroom and comes back with two beers.  Ten minutes later, the husband gets up to go to the bathroom and comes back with two beers.  It's a precision machine designed to consume as much alcohol as possible.  Their timing is impeccable.  And this repeats itself 3 more times, up and down, beer goes in, piss comes out, until we get to the midway point of the third quarter when they leave to clean up their tailgate and drive home either slightly buzzed or hung over.  Thankfully they only show up for half the games, give their tickets to their kids who don't drink and actually want to watch the action on the field.

SAR I

Imagine how some posters feel about other posters that posture themselves above other, make broad generalizations about groups based upon their own prejudices and ignorance, and attempt to portray their experiences as more important than any others.

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Why 710 ?????  Half those dates are Giants problems and NJ problems.

BofA stadium here is used for weddings, Fortune 500 meetings and dozens of other non sports activities.   I believe the west side could have been busy 100 to 200 days a year.

The west side stadium could have been a boom to the area but in my view, local and national developers wanted that land and thus no stadium. 

Here we are...the bastard red headed step child .   Half the fan base now has to pay 2 tolls, parking, PSLs etc.

When you net out the 20 games the Jets and Giants play in their theoretical separate stadiums, you're left with 710 days that the stadiums would be empty and need booking.  These facilities need upkeep, they need to pay employees, they need to generate revenue a hell of a lot more than 10 days a year each.

You cannot compare a stadium in Charlotte with the endless array of facilities for events in a metropolis like New York City.  MetLife Stadium, Red Bull Stadium, Madison Square Garden, Nassau Colosseum, Barclays Center, Prudential Center, Yankee Stadium, CitiField, Javitz Center, hundreds of hotels, hundreds of catering halls, it's endless. 

80% of the fanbase lives in New Jersey.  That 50 year old fan from Shea in 1983 is 80 years old now and doesn't go to games.

SAR I

12 hours ago, thadude said:

Dolan also bribed Sheldon Silver to make sure it'd never happen.

Mere icing on the cake, a simple insurance policy.

Once the Olympics were not coming, the WSS was dead.  Not much revenue to be gained by a team with 10 home games a year.  And all the so-called concerts and other events would just be taken away from MSG or Javitz, so there wasn't an incremental for the city.  Not to mention the inconvenience for the fans who live in New Jersey (80%) or Long Island/Westchester/CT (20%) whose last destination on Earth they'd want to spend a Sunday afternoon is Manhattan.

SAR I

12 hours ago, thadude said:

This.

And people forget New York history-  The Dodgers left Brooklyn because of lack of parking.  The Baseball Giants left Manhattan because of lack of parking.  The Football Giants left the Bronx because of lack of capacity.

So the Jets West Side Stadium was going to hold 20,000 fewer fans, have the least amount of parking in the NFL, and be in the one spot in the NY metro area that is worse than any other to reach.  Would have been a nightmare if it happened.  Fans would be screaming that there weren't enough seats, that they couldn't find parking, that there was no tailgating, there were no seats without PSL's, the LIRR and NJT were a nightmare, and on and on.

And most important of all?  The gameday ticket prices would have been outrageous due to fewer seats and the influx of Manhattan weekend tourists who would go to a Jets game as a curiosity because they couldn't get tickets to see Hamilton.

SAR I

10 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Skankee fans are self entitled whiners who feel that they are above everyone else just because their team has won the amount of Championships they have. Thanks for proving this point with your post. Elitist Scumbags are the problem. Its cool now type a typical one line answer or ignore this post because you are so entitled.

Wrong.

Yankee/Jets fans are in balance.  We know what it's like to win with class and lose with dignity.  We've had lots of Championships so it's not so bad that the Jets have shut us out for our lifetimes.  We've had enough champagne in baseball to be okay with the thirst in football.  If anything, it makes it more spicy, more interesting.

Mets/Jets fans are out of balance.  They are paranoid, view everyone else as "entitled" when really they are just self-deprecating, they expect the sky to fall.  Sadly, deep-down, they secretly love playing the role of the pathetic loser, wouldn't know what to do if they actually won something. 

Mets fans are the millennials of New York sports.  So sensitive.  Identify as abused.  Need safe spaces.  Couldn't tolerate Buttfumble jokes at the water cooler so they ran our young quarterback and proven GM out of town because the buffoon HC got them the attention they so desired.  Hope you're happy now.  No QB in town has been as good as Mark since he was booted, we've been through two GM's since Tanny was punted and turned the Fins around, and Rex is the joke of the NFL. 

Brilliant job.  Go Mets.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Wrong.

Yankee/Jets fans are in balance.  We know what it's like to win with class and lose with dignity.  We've had lots of Championships so it's not so bad that the Jets have shut us out for our lifetimes.  We've had enough champagne in baseball to be okay with the thirst in football.  If anything, it makes it more spicy, more interesting.

Mets/Jets fans are out of balance.  They are paranoid, view everyone else as "entitled" when really they are just self-deprecating, they expect the sky to fall.  Sadly, deep-down, they secretly love playing the role of the pathetic loser, wouldn't know what to do if they actually won something. 

Mets fans are the millennials of New York sports.  So sensitive.  Identify as abused.  Need safe spaces.  Couldn't tolerate Buttfumble jokes at the water cooler so they ran our young quarterback and proven GM out of town because the buffoon HC got them the attention they so desired.  Hope you're happy now.  No QB in town has been as good as Mark since he was booted, we've been through two GM's since Tanny was punted and turned the Fins around, and Rex is the joke of the NFL. 

Brilliant job.  Go Mets.

SAR I

Really hope this is an act on your part. Otherwise, the way you purport yourself around here, you are a small, small, little man with no sense of any self worth. Your only way around that is to put others down to make your self feel better.

If this in fact the true you, I have pity for you. Either way, it is just sad.

Archived