"Awful QB Play Making NFL Games Hard to Watch"

DMan77

Overall NFL really has gotten a lot worse to watch.  At the beginning of the season I was still watching plenty and thought I would never watch that little, but this week I watched the Jets game, about 15 minutes of the Giants game and that was it.  Had absolutely no interest in any of the prime time games.  Forgetting the mess of the Jets, there have really been very few good games this season.  In fairness, the season opener may have been the best, but even that's mostly because I enjoy seeing the Pats lose.

To go off of the QB point, there is definitely some truth to that.  Teams with a superior QB will always have a major advantage, but in the past there were at least ways to offset that to a certain extent.  The bottom line is if the other team had a superior QB, the best way to even the odds was simple:  beat the living hell out of that QB.  These days, you will never get away with that.  From the endless holds to the ridiculous degree of personal fouls if you breath too heavily on the QB, the NFL has made it a full-time job that these guys are coddled as much as possible.  While the Lee helmet-to-helmet call was frustrating, I have seen far more clean sacks than that get called as unnecessary roughness this season, which is just mind-boggling. At this point, the NFL is about a half step away from playing 7-on-7.

Forgetting even the Jets sh*tting the bed this week, what made that game unwatchable the entire time was the constant non-stop throwing of flags, which is pretty much every game this season.  I feel like you could walk away from the TV for 15 minutes these days and miss about a grand total of 3 plays.  Forget everything else, the bottom line is it's really not that entertaining anymore.  Basically the only plus to it going this way is losing money is the only way the NFL will pay any attention to what is going on.  Either they get it together or we all find ourselves with more free time.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Why would any player be interested in renegotiating a cba that included longer and more practice?

Its up to the nfl to make it happen with better pay. Better product better pay. More guarenteed money as a result of injury. Whatever the case is it needs to be addressed when cba is up.

Ive had quite a few union contract negotiations and trust me, whatevers in the current cba, theres little guarentee it'll be in there for the next one.

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

In my flawed memory!  You are correct, he was not.  He did play forever and he was much better than Unitas by '68.  Unitas was never good after that. 

In '68 preseason, Unitas tore 2 tendon in his throwing arm which went undiagnosed for years - still when he played in 1970, he lead his team to the Super Bowl (not Earl Morrell)

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The rationale behind was simple- the league office was willing to concede there because practice isnt/wasnt a revenue stream. Less practice time was the players #1 priority. I mean football practice pretty much sucks but its necessary. These guys went from practicing in pads twice a day for 2.5 hours to walk throughs in shorts. 

Problem is coaches being coaches  many would practice until everyone drops. If you can get the job done in a crisp 90 minutes on the field, the rest is a waste of time. So this current setup benefits the coaches who can do the most with the practice time they have. I don't hear Bellicheat bellyaching about practice time. And the counter is the more time in full contact practice the more injuries. More practice, more fatigue, more injuries. Which is why this all happened in the first place. These guys watch hours of film and have tons of meetings and work out. It's enough. 

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Overall NFL really has gotten a lot worse to watch.  At the beginning of the season I was still watching plenty and thought I would never watch that little, but this week I watched the Jets game, about 15 minutes of the Giants game and that was it.  Had absolutely no interest in any of the prime time games.  Forgetting the mess of the Jets, there have really been very few good games this season.  In fairness, the season opener may have been the best, but even that's mostly because I enjoy seeing the Pats lose.

To go off of the QB point, there is definitely some truth to that.  Teams with a superior QB will always have a major advantage, but in the past there were at least ways to offset that to a certain extent.  The bottom line is if the other team had a superior QB, the best way to even the odds was simple:  beat the living hell out of that QB.  These days, you will never get away with that.  From the endless holds to the ridiculous degree of personal fouls if you breath too heavily on the QB, the NFL has made it a full-time job that these guys are coddled as much as possible.  While the Lee helmet-to-helmet call was frustrating, I have seen far more clean sacks than that get called as unnecessary roughness this season, which is just mind-boggling. At this point, the NFL is about a half step away from playing 7-on-7.

Forgetting even the Jets sh*tting the bed this week, what made that game unwatchable the entire time was the constant non-stop throwing of flags, which is pretty much every game this season.  I feel like you could walk away from the TV for 15 minutes these days and miss about a grand total of 3 plays.  Forget everything else, the bottom line is it's really not that entertaining anymore.  Basically the only plus to it going this way is losing money is the only way the NFL will pay any attention to what is going on.  Either they get it together or we all find ourselves with more free time.

Infuriating every game. Is there a flag? every play. 

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Problem is coaches being coaches  many would practice until everyone drops. If you can get the job done in a crisp 90 minutes on the field, the rest is a waste of time. So this current setup benefits the coaches who can do the most with the practice time they have. I don't hear Bellicheat bellyaching about practice time. And the counter is the more time in full contact practice the more injuries. More practice, more fatigue, more injuries. Which is why this all happened in the first place. These guys watch hours of film and have tons of meetings and work out. It's enough. 

This is also very true. Nothing more tedious than long practices. I've been on both ends of it. 

3 hours ago, Kevin L said:

I'll give you the 80's, but in the 90's, 8 out of the 10 Super Bowls were won by HOF QB's.

Even if the 80s you have the league dominated by Bradshaw (early), Montana, Marino, Elway and a tier below them Theismann and Plunkett. I agree with the earlier comment that the league has become more disparate as the rule changes in the late 90s forward increased the role of the passing game at the expense of rushing but let's not overstretch reality.

There are undoubtedly ways to build a winning team without a star QB--but nobody has figured out how to consistently do it yet. A lot of that is because the NFL's coaching and GM pool is small, old and insular. 

16 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

NASCAR's ratings are down more than the NFL's. Anyone who says they're leaving because of the kneeling was halfway out the door anyway.

I disagree, but I only have anectdotal evidence. I personally know someone who is about the biggest Cowboy fan you can imagine, flying out to Dallas twice a year for games and he no longer watches because of the kneeling. I doubt he's the only one.

17 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I disagree, but I only have anectdotal evidence. I personally know someone who is about the biggest Cowboy fan you can imagine, flying out to Dallas twice a year for games and he no longer watches because of the kneeling. I doubt he's the only one.

Of course he’s not the only one. But unless all of his buddies are so pissed about the kneeling they canceled their cable package entirely, it doesn’t really have much explanatory value.

Certainly, fixed the practice routines in the CBA would help improve all aspects of the game. The problem is that the league tampered with the rules to get scoring up. It help take a mostly team sport with an emphasis on the QB to a QB centric sport. Problem - there are not enough quality QBs for the sport. Maybe if we let the defenses defend quality QBs, like before, offenses would return to a balance of building quality OL and running games. Instead all we care about a QBs and WRs the are fast enough (and crazy) to go down field an either blow past secondary or draw the PI/holding call.

Archived