Its official Darrelle Revis first ballot Hall of Shame

Kleckineau

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HessStation said:

So since you've now succumbed that you are indeed, in the minority, you're working the, "you've watched them all play" angle? Indeed.

Are you just thick?

No a handful of articles that are all over the map isn't a majority.  Or is that over your head too?  Guys on winning teams rank higher to authors who never saw all play.  Shocking.  But go with it

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

There's 4 references 

So a 147 perdon poll from a blog, an op-ed filler list, a bleacher report list, snd q compiled stat openly labeled approximate based on stuff and things. I can see whar you meant by trying not to convince anyone. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Are you just thick?

No a handful of articles that are all over the map isn't a majority.  Or is that over your head too?  Guys on winning teams rank higher to authors who never saw all play.  Shocking.  But go with it

How many articles do you want and from whom? lol

Just now, SenorGato said:

So a 147 perdon poll from a blog, an op-ed filler list, a bleacher report list, snd q compiled stat openly labeled approximate based on stuff and things. I can see whar you meant by trying not to convince anyone. 

Scott used an anaylitcal reference which made Revis look even worse than he was. No dice though? lol

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Revis was a better cover corner and it's not really close.  Deion would get burned often, Revis rarely until later in his career. Deion would cheat to try to make the big play and he would make more big plays, there have been few players more dynamic w/ the ball in their hands but as a shutdown corner? no one did it better than Revis especially when you factor in the era he played in where all the rules favored pass offenses and QBs were setting records annually.

these #s are out of context so we don't know if deion was on these WRs all game but either way it's a negative against Deion b/c if he wasn't covering them then he wasn't covering the best like Revis always has. 

In postseason:

w/ Atl:

1991 at NO: Eric Martin 7-83

1991 at Was: Gary Clark 6-64

w/ SF:

1994 vs. Chi: Jeff Graham 4-33

1994 vs. dal: Michael Irvin 12-192, 2 TDs

1994 vs. SD: Mark Seay 7-75

w/ Dal:

1995 vs. Phi: Calvin Williams 5-56

1995 vs. GB: Robert Brooks 6-105, 2 TDs

1995 vs. Pitt: Yancy Thigpen 3-19-1

1996 vs. Min: Cris Carter 3-36-1

1996 at Car: Mark Carrier 1-7(finally Revis like #s)

1998 vs. Ari: Frank Sanders 3-72

1999 at Min: Randy Moss 5-127-1

12 game totals:

62 recs, 869 yds, 7 TDs

prorated over 16 game season: 83 recs, 1159 yds, 9 TDs

that's a pretty good year for a WR

Now Revis:

w/ Jets:

2009 at Cin: Chad Johnson 2-28

2009 at SD: Vincent Jackson 7-111(I know he did nothing on revis)

2009 at Ind: Reggie Wayne 3-55

2010 at Ind: Reggie Wayne 1-1

2010 at NE: Deion Branch 5-59-1(again, I know he did nothing on revis)

2010 at Pitt: Mike Wallace 1-6

w/ Pats:

vs. Bal: Steve Smith 3-44-1

vs. Ind: T.Y. Hilton 1-36

vs. Sea:  Doug Baldwin 1-3-1

9 game totals:

24 recs, 298 yds, 4 TDs

prorated over 16 games: 43 recs, 530 yds, 7 TDs

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

what is this

Junc science in its purest form.

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Aren't you the one usually sucking Gil Brandt's teet btw? 

The fact that REvis got his super bowl trophy with the pats makes him at least a consideration for the hof.

He was the best D player in the league for his best year and had about four other fantastic years.

7 times a pro bowler and 4 times 1st team all pro.

All of those accolades were deserving.

I think people are being clouded now by his utter failings at the end of his career and his greed. Did he stink and steal money his last few years?  Yes.  does that erase all of his great years imo?  No.

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Scott used an anaylitcal reference which made Revis look even worse than he was. No dice though? lol

I was JUST about to ask when Scotty was coming back with those comp%, TD%, and turnover% numbers. Never seeing that or finding out where those numbers you mentioned earlier came from either, are we? 

OTOH Bleacher Report ranking lists for days lol 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The fact that REvis got his super bowl trophy with the pats makes him at least a consideration for the hof.

He was the best D player in the league for his best year and had about four other fantastic years.

I think people are being clouded now by his utter failings at the end of his career and his greed. Did he stink and seal money his last few years?  Yes.  does that erase all of his great years imo?  No.

He's most likely a HOF. First ballot? Unlikely. Will depend on how the writers view peak vs longevity. Champ and Woodson dont have single seasons better than Revis' 09 but their body of work is better and longer (ironically enough Woodson won DPOY in 2009). Talib is still playing at a high level. We'll see how long Sherman lasts. Asante Samuel has a crazy resume that gets overlooked. Ronde Barber will probably get in eventually. Aeneas Williams got in.

Deion and Rod Woodson were locks as first ballot guys and also returned kicks. I dont anticipate the voters putting him in that tier. You also have other DB's like Reed and Palamalu who will get in on the first try.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think people are being clouded now by his utter failings at the end of his career and his greed. Did he stink and seal money his last few years?  Yes.  does that erase all of his great years imo?  No.

Completely agree. He's definitely a HOFer. If there was question his Pats SB puts him over the edge. Don't think he'll be first ballot but outside chance. He had 3-4 great years at an elite level. Add to that a really good rookie year and the Pats year where he wasn't as dominant but still really good. I think 6 years that you would call from great/elite (probably 4 yrs) to really good (2 yrs =rookie yr and Pats year) gets him in.

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I was JUST about to ask when Scotty was coming back with those comp%, TD%, and turnover% numbers. Never seeing that or finding out where those numbers you mentioned earlier came from either, are we? 

OTOH Bleacher Report ranking lists for days lol 

I just made them up. They're all lies lol. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

He's most likely a HOF. First ballot? Unlikely. Will depend on how the writers view peak vs longevity. Champ and Woodson dont have single seasons better than Revis' 09 but their body of work is better and longer (ironically enough Woodson won DPOY in 2009). Talib is still playing at a high level. We'll see how long Sherman lasts. Asante Samuel has a crazy resume that gets overlooked. Ronde Barber will probably get in eventually.

Deion and Rod Woodson were locks as first ballot guys and also returned kicks. I dont anticipate the voters putting him in that tier. You also have other DB's like Reed and Palamalu who will get in on the first try.

Pretty much nailed it and my sentiments as well. Forgot about how Woodson won DPOY in 09...

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I just made them up. They're all lies lol. 

I honestly don’t think they hold up as presented in raw form either way. Revis, as usual, was facing better competition. 

Scotty D’s thing is way funnier and most damning. 

15 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Pretty much nailed it and my sentiments as well. Forgot about how Woodson won DPOY in 09...

I don't think that anyone is discounting that Revis will most likely be HOF.

I would have hoped that some here can at least create classifications and tiers between HOF, and HOF like talent. I guess that can't be done objectively by some.

23 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I honestly don’t think they hold up as presented in raw form either way. Revis, as usual, was facing better competition. 

Scotty D’s thing is way funnier. 

Which part doesn't hold up? . Here's the numbers I gave again. 

In 2006 Champ Bailey allowed 40 catches and ZERO Touchdowns, had 10 interceptions, 1 TD and 98 tackles

In 2009 Darrelle Revis allowed 45 catches and 2 Touchdowns, had 6 interceptions, 1 TD and 60 tackles

Interestingly I caught some mistakes. Bailey had 85 tackles. Revis had 54 tackles. I checked NFL Official Site to get. 

Beakdown of Revis in 09:

screen-shot-2009-12-28-at-5.19.01-pm.png

As far as Bailey...From Football Outsiders who were in the process of debunking the myth he only allowed 4 receptions that year per Jaws/Tireco referrence on MNF. 

"In PFP 2007, you'll see Bailey listed with 86 passes. Some of those are double coverages, etc. He actually had 83 passes where he was listed in the DEFENDER1 column. Oddly, not one of those 83 passes had another defender listed in the DEFENDER2 column. On 40 of those passes, Bailey allowed a complete pass. That's FOUR-ZERO, as in, ten times four...You want a number that shows how good Bailey is? I've got one for you. Zero. Champ Bailey may have given up 40 completions according to our game charters, but not a single one of them was a touchdown"

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Way to pick one guy out of the lists you keep throwing at me to not try and convince me.

I've given you 5 and two references had fan polls. I could go on and give you like 50 more but you said stop

Can you show multiple references that has Revis at #1, THE GREATEST CB OF ALL TIME? lol

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't think that anyone is discounting that Revis will most likely be HOF.

I would have hoped that some here can at least create classifications and tiers between HOF, and HOF like talent. I guess that can't be done objectively be some.

Gato, Nut and junc are loco lol. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

Who was the guy on the Bills who did the Plaxico celebration that used to beat up on Revis? It was always odd it was some mediocre guy that he had trouble with when he was at his peak.

Stevie Johnson. He used to handle Revis like the slouch he is.

12 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Which part doesn't hold up? . Here's the numbers I gave again. 

In 2006 Champ Bailey allowed 40 catches and ZERO Touchdowns, had 10 interceptions, 1 TD and 98 tackles

In 2009 Darrelle Revis allowed 45 catches and 2 Touchdowns, had 6 interceptions, 1 TD and 60 tackles

Interestingly I caught some mistakes. Bailey had 85 tackles. Revis had 54 tackles. I checked NFL Official Site to get. 

Beakdown of Revis in 09:

screen-shot-2009-12-28-at-5.19.01-pm.png

As far as Bailey...From Football Outsiders who were in the process of debunking the myth he only allowed 4 receptions that year per Jaws/Tireco referrence on MNF. 

"In PFP 2007, you'll see Bailey listed with 86 passes. Some of those are double coverages, etc. He actually had 83 passes where he was listed in the DEFENDER1 column. Oddly, not one of those 83 passes had another defender listed in the DEFENDER2 column. On 40 of those passes, Bailey allowed a complete pass. That's FOUR-ZERO, as in, ten times four...You want a number that shows how good Bailey is? I've got one for you. Zero. Champ Bailey may have given up 40 completions according to our game charters, but not a single one of them was a touchdown"

If somebody is actually paying any attention to this, here's the revised numbers, probably about as close as you can get:

2006 Champ Bailey allowed 40 catches and 0 Touchdowns, had 10 interceptions, 1 TD and 85 tackles

2009 Darrelle Revis allowed 45 catches and 2 Touchdowns, had 6 interceptions, 1 TD and 54 tackles

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

If somebody is actually paying any attention to this, here's the revised numbers, probably about as close as you can get:

2006 Champ Bailey allowed 40 catches and ZERO Touchdowns, had 10 interceptions, 1 TD and 85 tackles

2009 Darrelle Revis allowed 45 catches and 2 Touchdowns, had 6 interceptions, 1 TD and 54 tackles

What is the completion percentage against?  What is the QB rating against?  Those were two of the greatest seasons by CBs in history, but I do think Revis was targeted more.  

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

2006 Champ Bailey allowed 40 catches and ZERO Touchdowns, had 10 interceptions, 1 TD and 85 tackles

if this thread was going to end once one side cried, this would be the post to do it.  Was Revis amazing for us, yes, GOAT, maybe not???

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

2006 Champ Bailey allowed 40 catches and 0 Touchdowns, had 10 interceptions, 1 TD and 85 tackles

Yeah but Bailey Island doesn't have the same ring to it.  

Archived