Calling Mogglez......

section314

One thing I  noticed about our offense this year that I thought was interesting.  We were much better offensively in the first and third quarters than 2nd and 4th.  We were 15th in the league in Q1 scoring and 14th in Q3, but 23rd and 30th in Q2 and Q4.  Could mean something, could mean nothing.

My theory is that we were at our best in the first when we started executing our game plan early in the game or after making adjustments at half time.  But as the half wore on and the defense adjusted to what we were doing, the offense slowed down and we didn't adapt.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Defillipo doesn't carry the wight (no pun intended) that Parcells does. Unless he is such a good candidate, or he really does not want to be part of the Jets org.

Who would want to walk into Fitztragic, McClown, Hackenberg, Petty situation as their first ever OC job WHEN you already have people thinking very highly of you, failing here last year as an OC would have plummeted his stock while being QB coach another year while Wentz makes you look good raising your stock was/is the smart move, and it’s being proven as the kid has gotten HC interviews, even if he isn’t a serious candidate for them he obviously raised his stock staying with Wentz in a lesser position then come here which no matter how good he might be as a QB developer, and a play caller would not have yielded the same return as far as elevating his stock as a coach in this league, and probably would have lowered it after Bowles used him as a scapegoat to save him, and his jackass buddy Kacy Rogers skin.  Now one year later he might take that interview for the Jets OC job to see what their QB plan is, and if he is told it’s Cousins, or trade up at all costs to land X QB, and he likes what he hears then maybe he has a calculated decision to make, but last year their was no circumstance, or benefit to even consider taking the job, nothing, but cons with Bowles on his last year where it was either be fired, or extend, probably not high on last years QB class to think even if they drafted a QB high it would work out, and the other QB options were sh*t.  Now this is all based on me speculating that he asked the Eagles to deny the permission so he didn’t have to interview for a job he had no desire in taking, but one year later with Bowles getting a 2 year extension, and the Jets in a position to at least present a possible good plan to him at QB because of the numerous options available with possible FA QB’s, and QB’s in the draft, I think he would want to take the interview to at least see where their at in terms of a plan at the position.  But if the Eagles truly blocked him then all this is moot, but that’s usually looked at poorly around the league for future position coaches so my guess is it came from DeFillippo, and the Eagles did him a solid, and protected him from looking bad if he turned down the job if offered it which kinda sounds like it was his if he wanted it, and the interview was just a formality.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I can shed some light, to a degree.  I've been at work all day and finally got my first break.  Sorry for taking so long guys, lol. 

Manish, for once, got it right with whoever his source is.  Things between the coaches (and team in general - players, FO guys, etc.) started off very nicely, but towards the end of the season it became clear that they didn't see eye to eye on how the offense should be run.  I'm not here to defend Todd Bowles.  I think my views on him are clear by my other posts here.  However, the narrative that he wants a run first coordinator from the 1940's, ala Rex Ryan, isn't true.  Bowles wants a balanced attack.  Problem is that many people got the feeling that Morton was, simply, way too pass happy.  I'm not sure if I feel that way personally, but I can see it and even said that I would like to see more of the ground game in year 2.  Personally, I thought the guy did a pretty good job given the ingredients and the fact that he was a first timer.  

The other part of it is that Morton was not even remotely close to being Todd's first choice for the job. Word of Haley becoming an option changed things very fast over the last few days.  The Steelers officially letting him walk all but solidified Morton's fate.  If DeFilippo doesn't get a HC job, he will almost certainly be "the guy", but from what I've heard, Haley isn't far off.  The thought process is now there are 2 potential outside coaches that the team views as a clear upgrade available.  More importantly, they are 2 guys who also run offenses that Bowles would prefer to run.  With that in play, it became a "can't lose" for the team because even if they miss out on 1, they can, likely, get the other.  I'm not going to lie: I'm not a Todd Haley fan.  Guy comes off as an abrasive, Grade-A, jerk-off and he gets way too cute with his play calling for my liking.  That said...he's one hell of a coach.  Especially when it comes to coaching up WRs.  Another "dark-horse" candidate that I name dropped a while back to @Paradis is Harold Goodwin, Arians's former OC.  Only problem with Goodwin, who I personally like, is that we would have to wait for Arizona to sort their sh*t out in terms of HC and who knows if he even gets let go by whoever they choose.  He's well respected in the league.

As far as QBs go, Bates is the golden man for that job, even if he doesn't get promoted (which I'd say actually has a 50/50 shot of happening as of right now).  I don't think he's going anywhere for a hot minute.  Something to watch if he does get promoted and something I've heard a lot over the course of the last month when all this John Morton sh*t started: Bates has a great connection and relationship with Mike Shanahan, the man who drafted Kirk Cousins and who Kirk is still close with to this day, along with Shanny Jr.  Hell, that's who we pried him from last year (he was working as a coach in Mike's QB camp/organization).  Bates also called plays for Shanny in '08 when Jay Cutler notched a Pro Bowl selection and the Broncos held the NFL's second-most productive offense (1st in the entire AFC).  The offense he likes to run is essentially the same as Mike/Kyle's (which I LOVE).  That will almost definitely be something we include in a pitch to Kirk if Bates takes the job.

****Finally home from work as of 3AM.  Edited to add more details****

Thank you so much......great stuff. Get some sleep.:D

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Who would want to walk into Fitztragic, McClown, Hackenberg, Petty situation as their first ever OC job WHEN you already have people thinking very highly of you, failing here last year as an OC would have plummeted his stock while being QB coach another year while Wentz makes you look good raising your stock was/is the smart move, and it’s being proven as the kid has gotten HC interviews, even if he isn’t a serious candidate for them he obviously raised his stock staying with Wentz in a lesser position then come here which no matter how good he might be as a QB developer, and a play caller would not have yielded the same return as far as elevating his stock as a coach in this league, and probably would have lowered it after Bowles used him as a scapegoat to save him, and his jackass buddy Kacy Rogers skin.  Now one year later he might take that interview for the Jets OC job to see what their QB plan is, and if he is told it’s Cousins, or trade up at all costs to land X QB, and he likes what he hears then maybe he has a calculated decision to make, but last year their was no circumstance, or benefit to even consider taking the job, nothing, but cons with Bowles on his last year where it was either be fired, or extend, probably not high on last years QB class to think even if they drafted a QB high it would work out, and the other QB options were sh*t.  Now this is all based on me speculating that he asked the Eagles to deny the permission so he didn’t have to interview for a job he had no desire in taking, but one year later with Bowles getting a 2 year extension, and the Jets in a position to at least present a possible good plan to him at QB because of the numerous options available with possible FA QB’s, and QB’s in the draft, I think he would want to take the interview to at least see where their at in terms of a plan at the position.  But if the Eagles truly blocked him then all this is moot, but that’s usually looked at poorly around the league for future position coaches so my guess is it came from DeFillippo, and the Eagles did him a solid, and protected him from looking bad if he turned down the job if offered it which kinda sounds like it was his if he wanted it, and the interview was just a formality.

So, you are saying in your estimation, there is ZERO shot of Defilippo coming here?

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Bates also called plays for Shanny in '08 when Jay Cutler notched a Pro Bowl selection and the Broncos held the NFL's second-most productive offense (1st in the entire AFC).  The offense he likes to run is essentially the same as Mike/Kyle's (which I LOVE).  That will almost definitely be something we include in a pitch to Kirk if Bates takes the job.

****Finally home from work as of 3AM.  Edited to add more details****

If his offense is anything like Kyles, lock him down in Florham Park until he thinks he’s ready for the Job. Make him as comfy as possible, whatever he wants.  

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I honestly don't know much about DeFillippo. But to your point I don't see him coming here. Right now he looks good because Wentz appears to have developed nicely, and he deservedly is getting some credit for that. Coming here, with this roster and shaky coaching situation, is very risky for him.

I think it will come down to Haley and Bates, with Bates likely being the choice. He can provide some sort of continuity, and the staff reportedly felt he was largely responsible for whatever success the offense had last year. He's also a QB guru and has ties to the Shanahans, which may help attract Kirk Cousins. Also if he is promoted I can see them hiring McCown (if he retires) to be the QB coach. The coaches and players all seem to really like McCown, and this would be a good way to keep him around.

Also this nonsense about criticizing Morton that he wanted the O to be pass happy like the Jets were the Saints according to an anonymous quote (Forte), is stupid as that anonymous person (Forte) is an uneducated selfish cancer who obviously didn’t pay attention to what the Saints did this year when they had the pieces in place properly to become more balanced, or even more run heavy then pass, it’s called playing to your strengths regardless of what you want to do, if you can’t run block, or have a RB who isn’t past their prime, or talented to be a yard eating back you don’t run it 70% of the time, or  even 50%, this while according to the same source who reported the Morton story correctly is the same guy who reported that the same Morton who was supposedly to pass happy was baffled, and completely floored, and livid when the Jets had a chance to go get Kamara who was still to his surprise still available, so maybe if you got him say Kamara, or someone similar those play calls would have been a lot more run oriented, or screen pass, swing pass to RB type of safe, get the RB the ball to gain yards type of plays everyone supposedly was coming complaining about he didn’t do enough of.

All this just furthers the thinking that Bowles, and even Macc are both in over their heads, and not suited for their jobs, and should have been tossed, and it was the perfect year to get away with tossing them “quickly” with out worrying about what the rest of the league thinks about continuity, because 100 million in cap space, high draft pick with 3 total in the top 50 plus some decent foundation players on defense that just need to be put in a good defense would completely supercede that nonsense, and landing a good candidate to run the Football ops to hire a GM, and HC would have been very easy to find with these circumstances IMO, now we gotta hope at the very least Macc gets lucky picking the right guys in FA, and the draft so when Bowles is finally fired their is something to work with for the next HC who can have a chance to turn his ineptitude into success overnight.

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, you are saying in your estimation, there is ZERO shot of Defilippo coming here?

No I’m saying in my estimation last year zero shot at DeFillipo because of those reasons, with a 2 year extension of Bowles, and the Jets in a position to at least have a a good plan at QB do to the multiple options this offseason DeFillipo would probably want to take the interview, and if he turns us down then you know we’re completely ****ed, because our plan was not to his liking as a OC, and that would basically mean every one of us will hate the Jets plan lol.

13 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I honestly don't know much about DeFillippo. But to your point I don't see him coming here. Right now he looks good because Wentz appears to have developed nicely, and he deservedly is getting some credit for that. Coming here, with this roster and shaky coaching situation, is very risky for him.

I think it will come down to Haley and Bates, with Bates likely being the choice. He can provide some sort of continuity, and the staff reportedly felt he was largely responsible for whatever success the offense had last year. He's also a QB guru and has ties to the Shanahans, which may help attract Kirk Cousins. Also if he is promoted I can see them hiring McCown (if he retires) to be the QB coach. The coaches and players all seem to really like McCown, and this would be a good way to keep him around.

Bates and Bowles equals Josh McCown as your 2018 starting QB book it!  And no ******* thanks!

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

But it’s Pederson, so DeFillipo gets more credit for Wentz, and now Foles then Reich for play calling/designing an offense is what it seems.

Thanks. Interesting, isn't Reich a hot "coach in waiting" type? Would they let him walk after a potential Super Bowl to prevent DeFillipo from leaving? 

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Thanks. Interesting, isn't Reich a hot "coach in waiting" type? Would they let him walk after a potential Super Bowl to prevent DeFillipo from leaving? 

Reich was a hot candidate a few years ago, but didn’t land a job, and has cooled ever since so my GUESS is he might have interviewed poorly, and the word spread about it around the league.  Again I’m just guessing.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait a damn minute my post was sheerly a statement that calling someone out never ends well and usually winds up being a battle. 

Not sticking up for anyone as I never do and certainly not part of anyones mob. 

Please don't put words in my mouth or wrongfully accuse me of anything. 

Thanks 

joewilly12 

Rofl - nobody was calling anybody out. This is the whole point.

Thanks,

SE

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Reich was a hot candidate a few years ago, but didn’t land a job, and has cooled ever since so my GUESS is he might have interviewed poorly, and the word spread about it around the league.  Again I’m just guessing.

Good point. Could very well be the case.

24 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Also this nonsense about criticizing Morton that he wanted the O to be pass happy like the Jets were the Saints according to an anonymous quote (Forte), is stupid as that anonymous person (Forte) is an uneducated selfish cancer who obviously didn’t pay attention to what the Saints did this year when they had the pieces in place properly to become more balanced, or even more run heavy then pass, it’s called playing to your strengths regardless of what you want to do, if you can’t run block, or have a RB who isn’t past their prime, or talented to be a yard eating back you don’t run it 70% of the time, or  even 50%, this while according to the same source who reported the Morton story correctly is the same guy who reported that the same Morton who was supposedly to pass happy was baffled, and completely floored, and livid when the Jets had a chance to go get Kamara who was still to his surprise still available, so maybe if you got him say Kamara, or someone similar those play calls would have been a lot more run oriented, or screen pass, swing pass to RB type of safe, get the RB the ball to gain yards type of plays everyone supposedly was coming complaining about he didn’t do enough of.

All this just furthers the thinking that Bowles, and even Macc are both in over their heads, and not suited for their jobs, and should have been tossed, and it was the perfect year to get away with tossing them “quickly” with out worrying about what the rest of the league thinks about continuity, because 100 million in cap space, high draft pick with 3 total in the top 50 plus some decent foundation players on defense that just need to be put in a good defense would completely supercede that nonsense, and landing a good candidate to run the Football ops to hire a GM, and HC would have been very easy to find with these circumstances IMO, now we gotta hope at the very least Macc gets lucky picking the right guys in FA, and the draft so when Bowles is finally fired their is something to work with for the next HC who can have a chance to turn his ineptitude into success overnight.

Matt Forte is a cancer?

I agree the guy’s well past his prime, past his usefulness, and never should have been signed in the first place (let alone with Powell negotiations close enough that he was also re-signed the very next day). 

It was a long time ago, and perhaps a lot has changed, but my memory of him coming out of school was a guy who was very humble and respectful of anyone who honored him with a microphone near his face. A super-nice kid to the nth degree.

Maybe it’s true and I missed it, but from where did you hear he was this poisonous cancer?

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Matt Forte is a cancer?

I agree the guy’s well past his prime, past his usefulness, and never should have been signed in the first place (let alone with Powell negotiations close enough that he was also re-signed the very next day). 

It was a long time ago, and perhaps a lot has changed, but my memory of him coming out of school was a guy who was very humble and respectful of anyone who honored him with a microphone near his face. A super-nice kid to the nth degree.

Maybe it’s true and I missed it, but from where did you hear he was this poisonous cancer?

I thought it was pretty clear Marshall recruited him here for the potential of a TV/media gig. Didnt New England offer Forte a contract too?

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Matt Forte is a cancer?

He basically blew up the whole thing with his post game interview after the 2nd Dolphins game calling Morton out for his play calling, and blaming him for the lose, and going against everything the Jets preached about keeping everything in house, leadership, and all that nonsense Bowles spewed after blaming 2016 on Fitz, Marshall, Decker, and Richardson.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

One thing I  noticed about our offense this year that I thought was interesting.  We were much better offensively in the first and third quarters than 2nd and 4th.  We were 15th in the league in Q1 scoring and 14th in Q3, but 23rd and 30th in Q2 and Q4.  Could mean something, could mean nothing.

My theory is that we were at our best in the first when we started executing our game plan early in the game or after making adjustments at half time.  But as the half wore on and the defense adjusted to what we were doing, the offense slowed down and we didn't adapt.

In game management - a boondoggle for Bowles.

46 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Bates and Bowles equals Josh McCown as your 2018 starting QB book it!  And no ******* thanks!

I don't agree. I think Mac and Bowles have their backs against the wall. They need to do something to generate excitement, and Josh McCown will not provide that. The only way they keep him is if they draft a QB early and want to give him time before playing him.

But to be honest, my gut tells me they're going to make a big push to sign Cousins.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I don't agree. I think Mac and Bowles have their backs against the wall. They need to do something to generate excitement, and Josh McCown will not provide that. The only way they keep him is if they draft a QB early and want to give him time before playing him.

But to be honest, my gut tells me they're going to make a big push to sign Cousins.

Push all you want for Cousins, IF my opinion is correct that Cousins is more then happy to stay in Washington, and Washington is more then willing to match Guaranteed money, and years of any other team like the best, and most reliable source in the NFL claims one Jay Glazer the Jets better have the draft for QB as plan A, and Cousins as Plan B, and IF plan B works out like I said in another post you still get a projected franchise edge rusher in Chubb (I said the Jets should be on the phone NOW trying to get pick 3 from Indy).  Win Win.

As far as Bates goes McCown has had his 2 best years of his career while Bates was on the offensive staff so yes I think McCown would be Plan B after Cousins even if they draft a QB Rd 1 because Bowles won’t play a rookie QB IMO unless it’s a Luck type prospect who is ready Day 1 before mini camp to handle the job (only QB in this draft who MIGHT be considered that by Bowles is Rosen who isn’t getting past the Giants IMO).

31 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Push all you want for Cousins, IF my opinion is correct that Cousins is more then happy to stay in Washington, and Washington is more then willing to match Guaranteed money, and years of any other team like the best, and most reliable source in the NFL claims one Jay Glazer the Jets better have the draft for QB as plan A, and Cousins as Plan B, and IF plan B works out like I said in another post you still get a projected franchise edge rusher in Chubb (I said the Jets should be on the phone NOW trying to get pick 3 from Indy).  Win Win.

As far as Bates goes McCown has had his 2 best years of his career while Bates was on the offensive staff so yes I think McCown would be Plan B after Cousins even if they draft a QB Rd 1 because Bowles won’t play a rookie QB IMO unless it’s a Luck type prospect who is ready Day 1 before mini camp to handle the job (only QB in this draft who MIGHT be considered that by Bowles is Rosen who isn’t getting past the Giants IMO).

I would disagree with you on this one. If we take a QB in the 1st rd, especially if we somehow trade up, this kid will start. 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We had initially read that Bates wasn't particularly interested in the job.  I would question his commitment, since the guy already spent 4 years out of football. Remember, Bates is the guy that is basically the Jay Cutler whisperer. So, maybe not McCown...

Or maybe he's just actually honest in that he wasn't ready at that time to take the position? We have no idea. 

FWIW, Bates was the OC in Seattle in 2010.  That was Pete Carroll's first year and they were 7-9, but won the division and beat the defending Super Bowl champion Saints in the playoffs.  The team had an aging Hasselbeck, Lynch, Leon, Forsett, former Jet Chris Baker and future Jet Ben Obomanu.  Their leading receiver was Lions/USC Mike Williams, who had his best season after being out of the league for 2 years.  They traded Deion Branch back to the Pats mid-year.  In time for him to be there for the "Can't wait!" beat down.  Bates offense was very poor, but their D was probably worse.

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Or maybe he's just actually honest in that he wasn't ready at that time to take the position? We have no idea. 

He wasn't ready last week, but he is ready now?  The fact that the reports are that the team is insisting that he be "all in" also indicate that he may not be ready/willing to put in the work that a guy like Morton did. 

The News reported last week that there had been internal discussions about promoting quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates only if he were all-in for the gig. Bates had a significant role in the weekly game plans, according to people in the know.

That is all coming from the Daily News, but remember, Bates is a guy who spent, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 out of football. 

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He wasn't ready last week, but he is ready now?  The fact that the reports are that the team is insisting that he be "all in" also indicate that he may not be ready/willing to put in the work that a guy like Morton did. 

The News reported last week that there had been internal discussions about promoting quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates only if he were all-in for the gig. Bates had a significant role in the weekly game plans, according to people in the know.

That is all coming from the Daily News, but remember, Bates is a guy who spent, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 out of football. 

Beats me. But the more I read about Bates, the more I get excited of the potential he has and impact he could possibly have on this team. 

This is a good article on his whole absence and about his path leading here...

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69857/after-conquering-3000-mile-trail-coach-faces-new-challenge-jets-qbs

And saw this today from Breer's article...

So now, Morton is gone and quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates, who’s earned Bowles’ respect, becomes the immediate and overwhelming favorite to replace him. Bates helped in putting together those scripts, and has called plays for two different teams—Denver in 2008 and Chicago in 2010. From a football intelligence standpoint, Bates is cut from the same cloth as Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. And from the time he was hired last February, there was good reason to believe he’d eventually wind up in Morton’s seat. The questions with Bates have always been in his ability to manage his relationships with other coaches and players. The Jets are hopeful he’s grown up in that regard. If he truly has, after getting out of coaching for a few years to recharge, then Bates has the potential to be a big-time upgrade.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Beats me. But the more I read about Bates, the more I get excited of the potential he has and impact he could possibly have on this team. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69857/after-conquering-3000-mile-trail-coach-faces-new-challenge-jets-qbs

So now, Morton is gone and quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates, who’s earned Bowles’ respect, becomes the immediate and overwhelming favorite to replace him. Bates helped in putting together those scripts, and has called plays for two different teams—Denver in 2008 and Chicago in 2010. From a football intelligence standpoint, Bates is cut from the same cloth as Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. And from the time he was hired last February, there was good reason to believe he’d eventually wind up in Morton’s seat. The questions with Bates have always been in his ability to manage his relationships with other coaches and players. The Jets are hopeful he’s grown up in that regard. If he truly has, after getting out of coaching for a few years to recharge, then Bates has the potential to be a big-time upgrade.

Isn't that the reason they just showed Morton the door?

19 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Bates wasn't in Chicago in 2010.  He was in Seattle and had "philosophical differences" with Carroll.  If you read about his time there he would be about 120000% more likely to call a pass at the one with Lynch in the backfield than Bevell.  

12 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Mogglez coming through!

But how will Haley’s personality pair with Rosen’s after they trade up for him ?. 

Haley has pissed off a lot of players on sidelines in years past so it will be awesome watching him piss off our offense

Thanks King Mog - you're too kind to us peasants rattling swords on shields outside the castle.

If the replacements are as good as we've talked about, then I guess it's addition by subtraction scenario - but boy, it sure felt like that was taking the easy way out. I'm not here to say Morton was Luke Skywalker, but there were certainly sparks on offense we haven't seen in a while. I would have thought they'd try to make some adjustments in 2018 before scraping the playbook. 

Archived