7 biggest mistakes made by Jets since 2015, including Ryan Fitzpatrick & Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

Mike Maccagnan had his bluff called by Fitzpatrick, who literally had zero other options (as a starter). Fitzpatrick was paid $3mm a year by the Texans, which is the contract we inherited when we traded for him. He got paid $3mm by Tampa this year. But in the land of Mike Maccagnan, Fitzpatrick is worth $12mm, or 4x what the next team was willing to pay. 

Maccagnan was literally negotiating against himself. A player's true value, like anything else (house, car, whatever) is only what the second highest bidder is willing to pay. But without any demand (multiple bids or offers) for someone's services, a player's value is determined only by what someone is willing to pay for it.

This is a relatively simple concept (Vickrey Auction) and similar to how Google operates with keyword bidding (generalized second-price auction), but it's clear that Mike Maccagnan has no concept of either and was had by a career journeymen loser. That, in and of itself, makes Mike Maccagnan the biggest loser of all.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yep.  They low-balled him by doubling his salary and giving him more money than he ever earned for a single season!  I want to negotiate with you, cowboy.

Semantics, Tonto.

Bills gave him 25 Mil guaranteed.  

It may have been more money than he'd ever made for a single season but certainly not the worst contract a team ever gave him.  Inflation was the reason it was 12 Mil.  Carrapolo just cashed in on 27 Mil a year for 5 good games.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Semantics, Tonto.

Bills gave him 25 Mil guaranteed.  

It may have been more money than he'd ever made for a single season but certainly not the worst contract a team ever gave him.  Inflation was the reason it was 12 Mil.  Carrapolo just cashed in on 27 Mil a year for 5 good games.

Inflation doubled his salary from 2015 to 2016?  The guy was the consolation prize when Maccagnan lost out on Hoyer in 2015 and then they gave him $12M.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Inflation doubled his salary from 2015 to 2016?  The guy was the consolation prize when Maccagnan lost out on Hoyer in 2015 and then they gave him $12M.

Smoke and mirrors led to a "good" season in 15' which obviously meant he was due for a pay raise.  Many, including Macc, knew he wasn't worth it but fan and media pressure made him pull the trigger.  I understand it.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Smoke and mirrors led to a "good" season in 15' which obviously meant he was due for a pay raise.  Many, including Macc, knew he wasn't worth it but fan and media pressure made him pull the trigger.  I understand it.

Why does a guy, who is seen in public 5 times a year, usually with a coffee cup, succumb to "fan and media pressure?"  The guy barely gives an interview.  I would think he was better off reading scouting reports than the newspapers and message boards.  Besides, if he had read this board and followed the consensus the team would be considerably stronger.

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

I almost feel bad at this point

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure why, the guy set records for us the year before, we won 10 games, he was not paid outrageously even after the hold out.  We had no other good alternatives.  It made total sense to reup the guy you had so much success with the year before.

Several reasons:

1. the holdout leading to skipping camp = hubris.

2. We already saw the best he had and it wasn't good enough = look elsewhere/anywhere else.

3. He was asking too much $

4. The vet cohorts in our locker room being way too outspoken = the writing on the wall.

5. I'm sure there were a few other points I can't recall offhand.  

45 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why does a guy, who is seen in public 5 times a year, usually with a coffee cup, succumb to "fan and media pressure?"  The guy barely gives an interview.  I would think he was better off reading scouting reports than the newspapers and message boards.  Besides, if he had read this board and followed the consensus the team would be considerably stronger.

Related image

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick was in no way shape or forum a mistake unless you are the ultimate hind sighter.

Signing him was not a mistake.

Playing him over Geno was not a mistake.

Trying to resign him for the 2nd year was not a mistake.

The mistake was taking all god damn offseason to get him resigned and into team activities and camp.  If Macc wouldn't/couldn't close the deal with Fitz, we needed to move on and go in another direction, plain and simple.  And almost all of us said that at the time, even supporters like me.  Make your best offer, take it or leave it, if it was leave it, fine, we move on.  But no, not the Jets.

Even then, the meme that 2016 was all Fitz's fault is as wrong today as it was then.  He was poor, absolutely, but that entire team fell apart, from the Defense, to specials, to injuries and more.  That season was as much a "team bad season" as I've seen in recent years.

Fitz, warts and all, is still the best QB we've had on this team since Pennington.  Fitz vs. Geno, then and now, is simply no competition.

Just now, Warfish said:

Signing him was not a mistake.

Playing him over Geno was not a mistake.

Trying to resign him for the 2nd year was not a mistake.

The mistake was taking all god damn offseason to get him resigned and into team activities and camp.

Even then, the meme that 2016 was all Fitz's fault is as wrong today as it was then.  He was poor, absolutely, but that entire team fell apart, from the Defense, to specials, to injuries and more.  That season was as much a "team bad season" as I've seen in recent years.

Fitz, warts and all, is still the best QB we've had on this team since Pennington.  Fitz vs. Geno, then and now, is simply no competition.

Image result for say what gifs

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

BEcause fan and media pressure affect Woody who affects Maccagnan.

20 hours ago, gEYno said:

All of this is true, but I'm still not sure what choice they had.  From a fans perspective, we have no real consequences.  But, could you imagine going from 10-6 to 5-11 or worse, while leaving the QB of the 10-6 team on the sidelines?  The move cost us literally nothing except a few more of Woody Johnson's dollars.  I don't think you can blame them, in that circumstance, for not running Geno Smith and/or Bryce Petty out there.  

Blame them for leaving Geno Smith and/or Bryce Petty - and then Hackenberg - as the other options. Mulligans are not earned for those decisions, where they become excuses for even more stupidity.

I agree some mindless people would have blamed the decision (to not bring back Fitz) as the reason for the wins dropping in half, but only if there was no light at the end of the tunnel. If our GM was at all competent, those cries would have died down because the team wouldn't have been in such sorry shape. 

In contrast, say they won a handful fewer games, but did so after trading up for Goff or Wentz with their rookie mistakes accounted for some of the losses. I mean, really -- we have people blindly forgiving a 3-win roster winning 5 games, with no such rookie mishaps to blame, going with a future-less Josh McCown. They'd more than forgive a no-Fitz season as wise. Plus who's to say we wouldn't then have won more than 5 games anyway.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Blame them for leaving Geno Smith and/or Bryce Petty - and then Hackenberg - as the other options. Mulligans are not earned for those decisions, where they're excuses for even more stupidity.

I agree some mindless people would have blamed the decision (to not bring back Fitz) as the reason for the wins dropping in half, but only if there was no light at the end of the tunnel. If our GM was at all competent, those cries would have died down because the team wouldn't have been in such sorry shape. 

In contrast, say they won a handful fewer games, but did so after trading up for Goff or Wentz with their rookie mistakes accounted for some of the losses. I mean, really -- we have people blindly forgiving a 3-win roster winning 5 games, with no such rookie mishaps to blame, going with a future-less Josh McCown. They'd more than forgive a no-Fitz season as wise. Plus who's to say we wouldn't then have won more than 5 games anyway.

I mean, of course.  Macc has totally failed at the QB position as a whole - hard to have done a worse job.  All I’m stating is that I get resigning Fitz, considering the circumstances.

In other words, Fitz wasn’t the mistake... Having nothing remotely as good as Fitz was the real mistake.

Passing on Watson or Mahomes over a safety  is the single dumbest thing they have done.For a team this bereft it borders on criminal malfeasance. Picking the Watt younger brother, an edge rusher, could have at least been defensible.  A SAFETY?!?!?

Allowing Casserly's cronies into the building, 2 and 3.

In 3 drafts Mr. Coffee has yet to fill QB, LT, edge nor cover corner. 

Bowles thinks the forward pass is evil and scoring points is bad. I could go on for a few hours, you've heard it all before. 

3 years into this ongoing mismanagement the Jets do not field a competitive nor barely competent NFL offense.The stats this team sports are skewed because teams KNOW there's no point to knocking yourself out since the Jets will step on their collective  dicks at some point and hand you the game.They  barely appear interested in scoring. The Jets' offense is the Private Oppum of the NFL, noncombatants. 

And despite picking defense every year, the defense is mostly awful too. Except for dancing. 

The Fitz thing was a disaster. But they were rolling the dice and lost. That happens. It was a bad but understandable bet. Not pivoting away from that thereafter, inexcusable. These past 2 seasons should have been total teardown tank jobs. Nobody in management had the balls to rip off the bandaid. And really what did they get from it but 2 garbage seasons accomplishing nothing. 

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick was in no way shape or forum a mistake unless you are the ultimate hind sighter.

Umm, yes it was. Hind sight makes it obvious but there were more than enough people not wanting him back. 

Tanny took too many risks, spent too much on big names, but went after impact players

Macc takes too few risks, spends too much on short term from fixes and lesser needs

Tanny shot for the 2 year window

Macc wants the 5 year window.

The problem with maccs approach is unless you hit on a good amount of picks you won't be the guy finishing the build

8 hours ago, gEYno said:

I mean, of course.  Macc has totally failed at the QB position as a whole - hard to have done a worse job.  All I’m stating is that I get resigning Fitz, considering the circumstances.

In other words, Fitz wasn’t the mistake... Having nothing remotely as good as Fitz was the real mistake.

Then we disagree. Investing - over-investing at that - in an obvious dead-end starting QB was a mistake. He had a poor season that was entirely predictable. 

I "get" why he did it as well; that doesn’t cease making it a mistake (let alone his own acts, and failures to act, that led to the circumstance in the first place).

The only thing he’s blameless for is the added pressure cast upon him by his brainless HC’s comments following the prior season’s final game. That still didn’t paint him into a corner, though. He did that himself. Then after he caved, in embarrassingly childish fashion, leaked to the press that the deal’s off if Fitz didn’t show by such & such a time. What an unbelievable amateur. 

Archived