Joint NFL-NFLPA Statement

JetNation

At my daughter's graduation I stood next to her jrotc commander. He was in his dress whites. 

I stood so straight for the anthem I almost fainted. 

I support the players rights and we should all be very concerned about any authority limiting dissent or disagreement or protest. 

With that said I think the players would be wise to take their protest into the communities impacted by the core issue that started this or to state legislatures on their days off. 

I know many players are active and do great things in the community but they really need to move this thing into phase 2

Nothing productive or constructive will come from more kneeling. 

This way they don't lose face, and the owners will be so relieved they will probably bank roll it

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

"Urban" kids (wink-wink) dont care about the NFL, they watch Basketball and play Madden. "Metropolitan" kids (wink-wink) dont care about the NFL, they're "#Resisting" on twitter and ironing their skinny jeans. Cops, Firemen, Line workers, servicemen (and women), Construction workers, industry and manufacturing workers...you know, middle class "regular guys" targeted by all of those Bud Light, Doritos, and Pick Up truck ads are the key demographic that have been the bulk of NFL Fans carrying the leagues ratings for years. And guess what? A lot of us served in the military or had fathers and grandfathers that served, and believe it or not, it kind of annoys us to see these spoiled children (getting paid a lot of money) making their form of protest in a manner that disrespects our nation in our eyes. Their alienating the people they claim to be teying to win over.

Maybe you should leave your insular, group-think 99% white liberal community for a bit? You know...go "slumming" as a lark. 

Oh, and if you think there are "72 year old WW2 vets", you need to check your math. 

I actually wink wink live in an urban area and have a wink wink blue collar job, and I’m aware that any corporate entity trying to push a product would happily feed me and all of my coworkers to the pigs if the choice was between my patronage or that of a 19 to 36 year-old dude who lives in LA, SF, NYC, Chicago, Dallas, or Miami and has a tech job and expendable cash. That pack of Joe Sixpack linemen are going to buy the beer and the Doritos and they’re going to watch the games anyway. They’re baked in. But, they’re all gonna be dead from cirrhosis and heart attacks at 62 and the league should be conscious of who’s going to replace them. It won’t be the robots that take all of those sweet blue collar gigs. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

The bottom line with the NFL in this is money. If their ratings drop because of bad pub that's what disturbs them not lack of patriotism. Plus it's become a political football, too. 

Profits were up in 2017. The ratings drop because the product sucks, not because a few players take a knee. 

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

I 100% support the rights of all individuals to free speech and peaceful protest on their own time.

I am absolutely 100% against the supposed "right" of individuals to protest while at work on their employers time, wearing their employers uniform, and representing their employer.

i agree with this 10000% : I mean they have the right to ... but the employers have the option to fire them if they do.

My entire family is military. I have a nephew commanding Patriot batteries right now in S Korea. Dad was in AF during Korea. Sister was an officer in Germany. Niece is in ROTC. Brother-In-Law was a Colonel and the Commander for the UN forces out of DC.

My family knows how the flag was paid for, and because of that we stand and revere it.

That being said, one of the reasons for all that service is to protect the right and freedom to object peacefully and be heard.  The players would be wise to find another venue to protest in. Causing strife and indignation is not the same as creating awareness that supports your cause.

I watch the games on Sunday to relax and turn off the world .. cant wait till this is a non issue.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

i agree with this 10000% : I mean they have the right to ... but the employers have the option to fire them if they do.

My entire family is military. I have a nephew commanding Patriot batteries right now in S Korea. Dad was in AF during Korea. Sister was an officer in Germany. Niece is in ROTC. Brother-In-Law was a Colonel and the Commander for the UN forces out of DC.

My family knows how the flag was paid for, and because of that we stand and revere it.

That being said, one of the reasons for all that service is to protect the right and freedom to object peacefully and be heard.  The players would be wise to find another venue to protest in. Causing strife and indignation is not the same as creating awareness that supports your cause.

I watch the games on Sunday to relax and turn off the world .. cant wait till this is a non issue.

The government paid the nfl millions to have forced patriotism in hopes that it would increase military recruitment. My family is all military too. I love America. That ain’t it. 

20 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I gotta say I never understood all the hullabaloo ... Let whoever wants to kneel kneel ... And deal with whatever backlash there is ... No need to inject the team or the NFL into it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Agree

Way too much has been made of this issue from the get-go.

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

What they should have done was kneel when the game was over like some players do to pray that way no one would have been insulted..

Unfortunately this wasn’t thought out, it was started by a camera catching a guy sitting on the bench during the anthem, in a preseason game. He wasn’t sitting out to draw attention to his ideas. He was sitting cause whatever his beef was with the country at the time,he decided against standing, that’s it, it wasn’t some type of movement originally, it became a “movement” because of the media and some campaigning words from the president 

On 7/20/2018 at 10:31 AM, peebag said:

Pioneer woman goes down to the creek to wash her family's clothes.

First she washes her Sunday go to meeting dress.

Wishy Washey Wishy Washey Wishy Washey

Looks clean, sniffs the dress, smells clean, is clean, puts it on rocks to dry

Next she washes Junior's jeans,

Looks clean, sniffs the jeans, smells clean, is clean, puts it on rocks to dry

Next she washes Husband's shirt,

Looks clean, sniffs the shirt, smells clean, is clean, puts it on rocks to dry

Lastly she washes the baby's diapers

Looks clean, sniffs the diapers

I disagree. I think the moderators do a good job here. 

22 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Let them protest on their time not mine..I want to watch football free from anyone's politics or complaints..

The NFL forced politics onto you and your time, not the players. Eventually, someone was going to see the opportunity handed them by Goodall.

20 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Here's the thing for all who think that players should not stand for the Anthem. While you may think all that land between NY and California is irrelevant just look at the 2016 election. That alone should have woken you up. Hey I was once like that myself. I was born and raised in Brooklyn NY. I thought every other place was inferior and inconsequential. While you can't get good Pizza anywhere outside of NY and some parts of NJ these people that live in the above mentioned area have definite opinions and still believe that the Flag stands for something other than oppression. The thing is that flag that they refuse to stand for means something to a lot of people. It is a symbol of FREEDOM and the PRICE paid for that freedom by people who gave their lives so a bunch of people can have the right live as they please. To them the reason why they don't stand is irrelevant. To them it is an insult to all those who came before and believed in that FLAG and this COUNTRY so much they gave their lives for it. When taken from that point of view you can see their argument has definite weight.

Hey don't get me wrong. I am all for the right to protest and there are definite things wrong in this Country that demand protest. I just feel that they could have chosen another way to voice that protest. Many hold that Flag sacred. To discount the way they feel leads to what you have now. You may feel your way of thinking is what everyone else thinks or should think. That is simply not true. Just because someone has a differing opinion than yours doesn't make them stupid it just makes them different. It doesn't make them Racist, or Prejudiced. Its goes against the way they were raised. Same as it goes against the way YOU were raised. Now you may say they were raised wrong or whatever but it doesn't make it true. Most preach diversity but few practice it. We all have different beliefs and opinions but true diversity comes when ALL beliefs are respected. To make fun of someone for their beliefs is what we are fighting against right? So how can you justify someones right not to stand for the Anthem and not justify those who think they should? Just some food for thought.

Here's the thing. You're only for the right to protest, if you're for the right to protest. Not the right to protest, in a time, place, and manner that suits you.

Defending freedom of speech, only when you agree with what's being said, is an empty gesture. It only matters when you're defending speech that makes you uncomfortable. 

Want to truly disrespect our flag? Demand that everyone stand and worship it.

Here's my suggestion to the players.

Instead of all those cringe worthy, choreographed end zone celebrations, have the team (or those who choose to join) gather in the end zone, and kneel. Their protest was hijacked by an opportunist with a knack for nicknames and turning personal agendas into national causes, so it's time to take it back. Remove the flag from the protest, and see who complains then. 

Instead of all those cringe worthy, choreographed end zone celebrations, have the team (or those who choose to join) gather in the end zone, and kneel. Their protest was hijacked by an opportunist with the knack for nicknames and turning personal agendas into national causes, so it's time to take it back. Remove the flag from the protest, and see who complains then. 
Agree .. if every TD was celebrated with a silent kneel .. it would be powerful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, SnackExchange said:

Here's the thing. You're only for the right to protest, if you're for the right to protest. Not the right to protest, in a time, place, and manner that suits you.

Defending freedom of speech, only when you agree with what's being said, is an empty gesture. It only matters when you're defending speech that makes you uncomfortable. 

They're at work. 

I don't understand why people are willfully glossing over this. 

32 minutes ago, SnackExchange said:

They're at work. 

I don't understand why people are willfully glossing over this. 

2 minutes ago, SnackExchange said:

Exactly. They're having fake patriotism forced upon them at work. Why is everyone willfully glossing over this?

They have the choice of forming or playing in another league.  

I've worked for some real sh*theads. I made choices and moved on. 

26 minutes ago, SnackExchange said:

Instead of all those cringe worthy, choreographed end zone celebrations, have the team (or those who choose to join) gather in the end zone, and kneel. Their protest was hijacked by an opportunist with a knack for nicknames and turning personal agendas into national causes, so it's time to take it back. Remove the flag from the protest, and see who complains then. 

What they should do is pool a giant well of money and use it for get out the vote initiatives, and every time they’re interviewed they should remind people to register to vote, and how important voting is, and they should create a campaign talking about how cool it is to vote for your town councilmen, your local representatives, Congress, POTUS, and most importantly their state’s district attorneys. That would absolutely terrify a lot of the people whom their protests are aimed toward.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What they should do is pool a giant well of money and use it for get out the vote initiatives, and every time they’re interviewed they should remind people to register to vote, and how important voting is, and they should create a campaign talking about how cool it is to vote for your town councilmen, your local representatives, Congress, POTUS, and most importantly their state’s district attorneys. That would absolutely terrify a lot of the people whom their protests are aimed toward.

IOW, MTV's Rock The Vote 25 years later? 

Just now, Jet9 said:

IOW, MTV's Rock The Vote 25 years later? 

RTV was typical MTV trash. If these players got into these communities and kids started voting, it’s make roughly a billion times more impact than any kneeling nonsense. You’d produce a tangible impact vs a symbolic one.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

RTV was typical MTV trash. If these players got into these communities and kids started voting, it’s make roughly a billion times more impact than any kneeling nonsense. You’d produce a tangible impact vs a symbolic one.

That's always been my question on this kneeling thing. How many players out on Tuesdays in their local communities doing things, talking to city officials, cops? Yeah, a few maybe. Are a majority of them kneeling on Sundays and doing **** all the rest of the week? Yep. 

1 hour ago, SnackExchange said:

Freedom of Speech is a protection from the Government.

There is no freedom of speech at work.  None whatsoever.

If you doubt it, I strongly suggest you try a little experiment, and on Monday you walk into the CEO of your companies office, and make a protest there during your work time.  Then tell the CEO you have a freedom to speak and right to protest.

Let us know how it goes.

A big part of the problem we have is that most citizens lack even a basic understanding of their rights, and how their Government works.  

22 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

That's always been my question on this kneeling thing. How many players out on Tuesdays in their local communities doing things, talking to city officials, cops? Yeah, a few maybe. Are a majority of them kneeling on Sundays and doing **** all the rest of the week? Yep. 

I agree. That they have no coherent response to the attention they were looking for, or the obvious criticisms, makes you realize how shallow the gesture was. Sort of like the scene in Forrest Gump where he starts running across the country and people start following him, only to find out he was simply running across the country. It’s also the reason the owners should have kept their traps shut and let it play out. Would’ve been a non-story within a month. 

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Voting is fun 

Archived