We called Oak about Mack - Get it Done!!

prime21

17 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Again Mack under contract , and isn't going anywhere.   He will be there week one against the Rams.  Of course going from California high taxes to Nevada with no State taxes saves the Raiders a lot of money.  ( silly for someone to not understand that.)

Wow Gruden doesn't take crap. Just cut last year second round pick Obi Melifonwu who hasn't been able to stay healthy.   Gruden didn't think he likes football.

Cutting injured guys = not taking crap?  I don't see it.  Sort of what Simeon Rice was talking about when he called Gruden a scumbag.   Saving money for your cheap ass owner is nice, but doesn't make the team better. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Because I think the new CBA is going to change the way contracts are structured. That’s also the reason why I think Cousins only signed for 3 years. I’d absolutely sign the deal you suggested but I think Mack may try to capitalize on 2 big contracts as opposed to having his deal appear smaller in years 4/5 (compared to the new deals being signed) and then no one wanting to sign him to a big deal upon the completion of that contract due to his age.

As I suggested, Cousins was a special situation because, as a QB, he expects his value to rise 3 years from now (and possibly rise significantly). I mean look at the contract Alex Smith just got in his mid-30s. Even if he's healthy, Mack's value isn't likely to significantly rise in his 30s (he's not likely getting another deal with 3 fully-guaranteed years at the 2021-season equivalent of $22m today). 

He might try to capitalize on it, but no one other than maybe the Raiders would agree to that. There isn't a team in the NFL looking to offer a 1st rounder, plus more (if not 2 #1 picks outright) if they're only getting 3 seasons out of him. Even with the Raiders it'd be questionable because passing up on a pair of 1s offered is almost the same as trading away a pair of 1s to get him for only 3 more years without the possibility of tagging him thereafter. 

Another reason the Cousins deal and situation is totally different than Mack's is Cousins was a full UFA. If Minnesota had to give up a pair of #1 picks for him, they never would have offered only a 3-year deal. Agreeing to a 5-year deal would have been a conditional part of the trade if they're also losing multiple high draft picks. 

You know what low regard I have for Maccagnan, but even I'd give him the benefit of the doubt there. Otherwise he certainly could have just made that trade a year earlier; Washington would have taken our 2017 1st + 2nd (or 2017 and 2018 1s) offer in a heartbeat instead of renting Cousins for 1 more year under the franchise tag and then ending up with nothing except the possibility of a ~#100-overall pick 2 seasons later.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Cutting injured guys = not taking crap?  I don't see it.  Sort of what Simeon Rice was talking about when he called Gruden a scumbag.   Saving money for your cheap ass owner is nice, but doesn't make the team better. 

Apparently, only Gruden has the balls to cut injury plagued players, that under-performed  and showed a lack of passion for the game. 

Not that it counts for anything, but Jamal Adams has liked multiple posts on social media with links to news reports about the Jets going for Mack. Including that Cowherd video above.

Such is modern day life, you've got to wonder how much the players are talking about that sort of potential deal.

18 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Again Mack under contract , and isn't going anywhere.   He will be there week one against the Rams.  Of course going from California high taxes to Nevada with no State taxes saves the Raiders a lot of money.  ( silly for someone to not understand that.)

Wow Gruden doesn't take crap. Just cut last year second round pick Obi Melifonwu who hasn't been able to stay healthy.   Gruden didn't think he likes football.

I think they'll come to a deal one way or another as well, but they're not under the gun yet. The simple math is they have him this year for $13.9m, next year for $16.6m, and the year after that for $20m. No amount of cap maneuvering is going to make it worth tearing up this year's 5th yr option and turning that into a new deal at $22m/year. That's 3 years $50m and they're never on the hook for more than the upcoming year so he needs to keep producing to get paid. Even if they somehow tagged him yet again at $32m in 2021 the 4-year total would still come to $82m but the long-term risk is zero.

We had this same situation with Mo. The difference is in Mo's 2015 option year he was only getting $7m (after making only $7m - before taxes - for the prior 4 years combined), and as a full UFA he wouldn't see a deal averaging more than $12m max (if even that much). The 3 ways to handle it were: trade him, extend him early, or don't extend him at all (keep tagging him on year-to-year deals for as long as he's worth it). We picked the worst of all possible options, which was to let him finish out his rookie contract and then tag/extend him after that at the full UFA rate. Once we'd gone that route we should have just tagged him back-to-back. Holdout through the summer or not, if he didn't perform it's his own wallet that would get hurt. Ultimate stupidity on our part, for all the positive press we got for extending our "home grown" player that July. It only made it dumber still that we'd just drafted Leo a year earlier. Either one of them isn't worth it or the other isn't worth it. 

The main difference is Mo had merely been an excellent player. Mack, on the other hand, is a unique player who changes an entire defense with his presence. Good as Mo was, he never did that. Only way I see them moving Mack is if they get an offer of a pair of 1s, and even then it's no slam dunk given the control they have over Mack today and the likelihood that they'd have to use both 1s to trade up to draft a replacement who comes with all sorts of question marks.

Surely they've thought this through as much as some Jets fan did in a random message board post. 

21 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Apparently, only Gruden has the balls to cut injury plagued players, that under-performed  and showed a lack of passion for the game. 

He will probably revert to Ir when no one picks up on waivers.( standard procedure ).  Glad he will have one more season to get healthy.   

Count me in the camp that we will never get Mack.  I'm also in the camp that we should not be sending several first/second rounders to get him.  That said, it's logical to think that Mac is working hard to find a pass rusher this year.  While Mack would be great, I think a second tier pass rusher would significantly help the defense.   Shane Ray or Dante Fowler are examples.  In the case of Fowler, I would not trade for him and give him a big contract this year.  He'll likely have a big year for a new contract in '19 and he'll have to prove he's cleaned up his act.

If I were Mac I'd have the Saints on speed dial.  They have clearly gone all-in for this year and next and have no backup QB on their roster.  If Teddy continues to prove he's healthy, the Saints are a very logical place for him.  He can backup Brees and take over the #1 QB role in two years.  I would try to wrangle Alex Okofor from NO.  He's not Mack but would be a big upgrade for the Jets.

16 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Count me in the camp that we will never get Mack.  I'm also in the camp that we should not be sending several first/second rounders to get him.  That said, it's logical to think that Mac is working hard to find a pass rusher this year.  While Mack would be great, I think a second tier pass rusher would significantly help the defense.   Shane Ray or Dante Fowler are examples.  In the case of Fowler, I would not trade for him and give him a big contract this year.  He'll likely have a big year for a new contract in '19 and he'll have to prove he's cleaned up his act.

If I were Mac I'd have the Saints on speed dial.  They have clearly gone all-in for this year and next and have no backup QB on their roster.  If Teddy continues to prove he's healthy, the Saints are a very logical place for him.  He can backup Brees and take over the #1 QB role in two years.  I would try to wrangle Alex Okofor from NO.  He's not Mack but would be a big upgrade for the Jets.

I’ve been in the no first camp as well. But I’m thinking it makes sense if the trade is only a 2019 first round pick. He will be in his prime while Darnold is on his rookie deal. He will also complete our defense.

Even with giving him $20 mil per, we can still sign our guys, possibly extend Leo and sign 1 Free Agent. If we get Mack, the only real weakness on this team is the online. We can hopefully fill the LG position in free agency. We will have to make due with Beachum though since we won’t have a 1st. But an OL of let’s say Beachum, Mason (FA), Long, Winters, Shell is ok. 

I also think the sign a Fowler, sign a guard, and draft a LT route is solid as well though. 

19 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I don't understand this infatuation with #1 picks? If having high draft picks were the end all for top teams why do the Browns still suck & the Patriots keep winning picking in the 30s? 

There is only 1 position you need to be filled to start buiding a team & that's the QB. Darnold is our guy. Is Jamal Adams a game changer? ? Darron Lee? Leonard Williams? Calvin Pryor? Sheldon Richardson? Dee Milliner? Quinton Coples? Mo Wilkerson? Kyle Wilson? I mean seriously, I can't even believe we have Jet fans worrying about trading a 1st round pick for Khalil Mack? SURE FIRE PRO BOWLER AZZ KICKING PASS RUSHER! 

1- We have the money (And its not your money- my god this team paid Mo 17 mill & a Burnt Revis like 20 mill.  2- Can you guarantee me nexts years 1st will be as good a player as Khalil Mack?

I keep seeing posts that we need to draft olineman high in the upcoming draft, but people in the know are saying lineman are crap shoots now because most college programs are run & shoot and its very difficult to evaluate how they translate to the pro game. Obviously just my opinion but Khalil Mack is a NO BRAINER if Macc can make it happen. 

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I don't understand this infatuation with #1 picks? If having high draft picks were the end all for top teams why do the Browns still suck & the Patriots keep winning picking in the 30s? 

There is only 1 position you need to be filled to start buiding a team & that's the QB. Darnold is our guy. Is Jamal Adams a game changer? ? Darron Lee? Leonard Williams? Calvin Pryor? Sheldon Richardson? Dee Milliner? Quinton Coples? Mo Wilkerson? Kyle Wilson? I mean seriously, I can't even believe we have Jet fans worrying about trading a 1st round pick for Khalil Mack? SURE FIRE PRO BOWLER AZZ KICKING PASS RUSHER! 

1- We have the money (And its not your money- my god this team paid Mo 17 mill & a Burnt Revis like 20 mill.  2- Can you guarantee me nexts years 1st will be as good a player as Khalil Mack?

I keep seeing posts that we need to draft olineman high in the upcoming draft, but people in the know are saying lineman are crap shoots now because most college programs are run & shoot and its very difficult to evaluate how they translate to the pro game. Obviously just my opinion but Khalil Mack is a NO BRAINER if Macc can make it happen. 

To be clear, I would LOVE to get Mack.  I just don't think next year's first round pick will do it.  Many other teams have much more to offer.

4 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

To be clear, I would LOVE to get Mack.  I just don't think next year's first round pick will do it.  Many other teams have much more to offer.

They might have more to offer but you also have to SIGN THE GUY. Jets could have upwards of 109 million, highest in the league in available salary cap money. Jets could easily sign him to a blockbuster deal.

Darnold on offense & Mack on defense? MetLife would be filled & rocking. Xtra food & alcohol sales would cover the dudes contract. 

54 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Because franchise qb >>>> first round picks

Ok REVERSE...haha I dont even like this guy but I just saw him talking about it, does it make sense? I was against it because I thought we needed the picks for the oline, but hell we dont need all 1st round o lineman to get better...

Someone demerit my profile Im listening to Colin here and agreeing with him, god damn preseason - be over with already.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FFOXSports1%2Fvideos%2F233817043925341%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

https://www.facebook.com/FOXSports1/videos/233817043925341/

why doesnt the damn embed thing work, god damn this preseason

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I am starting to come around, i tried to post a video talkign about it, but didnt work. 

Archived