Report: Four Teams Making Serious bid for Khalil Mack, Jets Included?

JetNation

Mack.jpg

Is it time for Jets fans to stop viewing the possibility of acquiring Khalil Mack from the Oakland Raiders as more than just a pipe dream for a team that lacks any semblance of a true pass rusher?  After all, what are the odds of adding both a potential franchise quarterback and a player who is arguably the best defender in the league, all in the span of a few months?  According to Pro Football talk and Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, it may not be as far-fetched as it once seemed.

If the Raiders are interested in retaining Mack for the long-term, they sure have a funny way of showing it.  Per PFT, there has been no contract offer from the Raiders to Mack since February.  Perhaps Oakland’s plan is to allow Mack to play out 2018 before slapping him with the franchise tag over the following two seasons.  That move would allow the Raiders to pay huge money during his prime years, hoping to avoid huge cap hits as he enters his 30’s.

Whatever Oakland’s plan is, it’s now being reported that the team isn’t “slamming the door” on teams calling to inquire about Mack’s availability, with four teams reportedly making serious offers.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News who initially reported that the Jets had called the Raiders last week, fired off a tweet saying the Jets calls to the Raiders wasn’t a case of the team doing their due diligence, but that “The Jets are serious”.

Oakland is in dire need of a backup quarterback and the Jets have one of those that they could include in any offer in Teddy Bridgewater.  Any deal would also have to include their 2019 first round pick as a starting point, with a chance it would take a 2020 first-rounder as well.

Add to this the fact that the Jets are projected to have somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 million in cap space next year, and one would have to believe the Jets would be in the running as Mack would be cost prohibitive to many other teams.  The former defensive player of the year is reportedly seeking $20 million a year.

That kind of cap room could allow the Jets to pay Mack an enormous base salary in his first two seasons, then having that number drop considerably over the remaining years of the contract, meaning the Jets could easier manage their cap in future years.

A franchise quarterback and elite pass rusher all at once is a bit much to expect, right?  Well, maybe not.

The post Report: Four Teams Making Serious bid for Khalil Mack, Jets Included? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
t752F2447Y8

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Oakland is in dire need of a backup quarterback and the Jets have one of those that they could include in any offer in Teddy Bridgewater.  Any deal would also have to include their 2019 first round pick as a starting point, with a chance it would take a 2020 first-rounder as well.

That's getting a little pricey.  

3 minutes ago, slats said:

That's getting a little pricey.  

It is.  But suppose Teddy is gone by next season anyway, and we drafted an edge rusher in the 1st who is even 75% of Mack...  I'd be pretty happy with that.

So why not remove the gamble and get one of the best defenders in the game if he really is available?

Figure we'll have a mid round draft pick.  Isn't that around where we got Lee?  I'd prefer the sure thing.

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

It is.  But suppose Teddy is gone by next season anyway, and we drafted an edge rusher in the 1st who is even 75% of Mack...  I'd be pretty happy with that.

So why not remove the gamble and get one of the best defenders in the game if he really is available?

Figure we'll have a mid round draft pick.  Isn't that around where we got Lee?  I'd prefer the sure thing.

Glenn has the Jets potentially throwing in their 2020 #1 as well. So Bridgewater and a #1 for 27-year-old Mack, and another #1 the following year for a 28-year-old Mack, all for the right to pay him @ $20M/year. He's also suggesting we front-load that, too. No chance Khalil is unhappy with his contract down the road when he's earning "considerably" less, right? It's not like he's had a contract dispute before. 

He's certainly a talented player, but that's a lot to give up in money, picks, and an asset for a big potential headache, too. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Glenn has the Jets potentially throwing in their 2020 #1 as well. So Bridgewater and a #1 for 27-year-old Mack, and another #1 the following year for a 28-year-old Mack, all for the right to pay him @ $20M/year. He's also suggesting we front-load that, too. No chance Khalil is unhappy with his contract down the road when he's earning "considerably" less, right? It's not like he's had a contract dispute before. 

He's certainly a talented player, but that's a lot to give up in momey, picks, and an asset for a big potential headache, too. 

Oh damn, yeah I missed the 2020 1st rounder as well.  Yeah that's pushing it too far.  

2019's 1st and a 2020 3rd or 4th, with Teddy I could go along with though.

Oh damn, yeah I missed the 2020 1st rounder as well.  Yeah that's pushing it too far.  

With all our holes there is no way we should make this trade. As much as we need a solid pass rusher, giving up the next two years #1’s is something the Jets can’t afford to do. We will just have to muddle thru this year with what we have. Then next year with the monies that are available get the best pass rusher in free agency.
It’s time to rebuild the O line to protect Sam and improve our running game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

We got 2 number 1's for KJ from Tampa and when Gruden took over he pretty much kicked KJ off the team he has a low tolerance for pain in the butt players.. And KJ wasn't on Macks level as a talent..

24 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

If it happens... it will be the Packers.  They have two first round picks in 2019, and a win now team that makes more sense to come up with whatever extra.

The Jets need an edge rusher badly.  But priority one has to be the OL.

The Packers haven't paid Rogers yet & that has to happen soon. Rogers HAS to be the highest paid QB EVER. They'll need those 1st round picks to have talent on rookie contracts.

14 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

We got 2 number 1's for KJ from Tampa and when Gruden took over he pretty much kicked KJ off the team he has a low tolerance for pain in the butt players.. And KJ wasn't on Macks level as a talent..

Don't overlook Teddy's value to a contending team.

Wasn't Oakland one of the favorites late in the 2016 season before Carr went down?  Then just to drive that point home further, Philly wins last year with a quality backup.

7 minutes ago, fltflo said:

With all our holes there is no way we should make this trade. As much as we need a solid pass rusher, giving up the next two years #1’s is something the Jets can’t afford to do. We will just have to muddle thru this year with what we have. Then next year with the monies that are available get the best pass rusher in free agency.

Agreed two 1st rounders is too much.  But like I mentioned, a 1st and a 3rd/4th is worth it imo.

Odds we get a star with a mid 1st round pick in 2019?..  possible sure, but probably 30% chance of it.  I'd rather the 100% guaranteed edge rusher.

We'd still have 80mil left over next year.

10 minutes ago, fltflo said:

This +1.

You guys are nuts! You wouldn't give up 2 1st rounders for Mack? I would. Chances are we're picking in that mid range again, did you guys look at that list of our 1st rounders the last 8 years? 

They're just bodies & most are already gone! Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples, Dee Milliner, Richardson, Wilkerson, and on & on. We have enough cap space to fill out the team even after trading for Mack. 

People here have been complaining about drafting Adams & Maye because there were like 5 veteran safeties available in the offseason. You get Mack, Jets could just concentrate on the Oline. Look at the 1st rounders in the Darron Lee draft, would it have been horrible to not have a pick that year? If you have a chance to draft a top 3 defensive beast at a position of need you do it if it's possible. If you know what you know now you would trade Calvin Pryor, Mo Wilkerson, Quinton Coples & Sheldon Richardson for Khalil Mack! 

35 minutes ago, slats said:

He's certainly a talented player, but that's a lot to give up in money, picks, and an asset for a big potential headache, too. 

If Mack was 24, I’d make that deal, but the fact that he’ll likely be 30 before the Jets are ready to compete for titles kills this for me. You can’t lose (1) two firsts (and the second from the Darnold trade) AND (2) $100 mil in cash and expect to rebuild, again, in any meaningful way. You’d effectively become the Raiders—nice young QB, Mack, and a bunch of spare parts.

As much as we need an edge rusher this trade would hurt us. Yes a sure thing is better than a gamble however we have other spots that need major attention such as the entire cast around Darnold. If we got Mack we would have to pay both him and Leonard Williams which means our massive cap space turns into an average to low cap, we then no longer have a first or second round pick assuming they don't demand more which means we have less ability to fill voids on offense meaning we will go into darnolds second season with a decent defense and no offense.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Mack was 24, I’d make that deal, but the fact that he’ll likely be 30 before the Jets are ready to compete for titles kills this for me. You can’t lose (1) two firsts (and the second from the Darnold trade) AND (2) $100 mil in cash and expect to rebuild, again, in any meaningful way. You’d effectively become the Raiders—nice young QB, Mack, and a bunch of spare parts.

I don't agree. With Mack, only 27,  we will have a top 5 defense this season.  The Jets still will have plenty of cap space for next season and we probably recoup a third rounder for Bridgewater. The Jets would be idiots not to trade for Mack if they could. With Mack and Darnold they would solve two needs that have been plaguing this team for years.

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

As much as I’d love Mack, trading away even a single first round pick for him, when you have to pay him a huge amount of money, is not good business.

Other than Darnold, name a first round pick that is worth half of Mack that the Jets have made. Mack is only 27. Also who cares about the money? Darnold is on a rookie contract and next year the Jets save $10M on McCown's contract.

No no no. This team is miles away from the playoffs muchless a super bowl. An edge rusher is not going to put them over the hump. Save your picks, trade Bridges for another pick and keep moving forward. This has to be a long term plan. Ginger Snaps is only 21 so he could realistically play for 15 plus years so build a team around him for the long run. 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

No no no. This team is miles away from the playoffs muchless a super bowl. An edge rusher is not going to put them over the hump. Save your picks, trade Bridges for another pick and keep moving forward. This has to be a long term plan. Ginger Snaps is only 21 so he could realistically play for 15 plus years so build a team around him for the long run. 

In this league, with the way the rules are changing?  Darnold could play into his 60s.

Figure he only has to play 10 or so years until QBs are tackled via two hand touch.

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Other than Darnold, name a first round pick that is worth half of Mack that the Jets have made. Mack is only 27. Also who cares about the money? Darnold is on a rookie contract and next year the Jets save $10M on McCown's contract.

Jets have no second round pick next year, and we need an oline bad, and we need a real offensive playmaker. We have put so many resources on the defensive side of the ball already. 

7 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't agree. With Mack, only 27,  we will have a top 5 defense this season.  The Jets still will have plenty of cap space for next season and we probably recoup a third rounder for Bridgewater. The Jets would be idiots not to trade for Mack if they could. With Mack and Darnold they would solve two needs that have been plaguing this team for years.

The operative term in your reasoning is “this season.” It’s not realistic to expect the Jets to compete this season, even if Mack comes in and kicks ass. Next year, you’re giving Leonard a new contract in the neighborhood of $15-$16 mil per, so now you have ~$40 mil of your cap tied up in two defensive players, while also having to replace your CB2 and restock your receiving corps, which will be barren next year. 

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Jets have no second round pick next year, and we need an oline bad, and we need a real offensive playmaker. We have put so many resources on the defensive side of the ball already. 

Pass rush is as big as need as any and Mack is one of the best, only 27, he would fill a huge need.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

Pass rush is as big as need as any and Mack is one of the best, only 27, he would fill a huge need.

I’d love to have Mack, and agree it’s as huge need. I do worry about guys once they get that second contract. I’m ok giving them the second contract and paying big money, it makes me nervous paying them and giving up a first round pick at the same time. If they lose their drive, which happens, you lose your premium pick and the money. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The operative term in your reasoning is “this season.” It’s not realistic to expect the Jets to compete this season, even if Mack comes in and kicks ass. Next year, you’re giving Leonard a new contract in the neighborhood of $15-$16 mil per, so now you have ~$40 mil of your cap tied up in two defensive players, while also having to replace your CB2 and restock your receiving corps, which will be barren next year. 

The Jets are close to $100M under the cap next season. Mack is only 27, he is in his prime, it’s not a one season trade. He makes this a top 5 defense on a young unit. 

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I’d love to have Mack, and agree it’s as huge need. I do worry about guys once they get that second contract. I’m ok giving them the second contract and paying big money, it makes me nervous paying them and giving up a first round pick at the same time. If they lose their drive, which happens, you lose your premium pick and the money. 

I hear ya. My assumption is Mack stays the same player he is, of course if he pulls a Wilkerson, then it would be a problem.

Mack would transform this defense into a dominant one in. All those lack of big splash plays on defense, would suddenly be happening on a regular basis. Williams would have an easier time getting in the QB's face. You can find good o-lineman later in the draft. Shell was a 5th round pick. There are quality guards available in free agency next year. We have the cash. To me it's a no brainer. If we don't do it, someone else will. That's for damn sure

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Awesome, throw another first round pick and huge money into the defense.  

He would solve a lot of the problems this defense has. Turnovers, and stopping offenses on 3rd down conversions.

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

They also won’t be competitive without a LT, RT, RB, and WR.  

Agreed

Of course it's nice to dream of Mack ... It should remain that though ... A dream.

This is reality ... LT,RT,LG,RG,C

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Jets are close to $100M under the cap next season. Mack is only 27, he is in his prime, it’s not a one season trade. He makes this a top 5 defense on a young unit. 

Okay, play this out. The Jets have ~$16 mil in cap space right now, so let’s give that all to Mack as part of his new 5 year, $130 mil contract ($22 mil avg). You’d give him $30 mil of that up front next year. Then you re-sign Leo. Then you replace Claiborne...and Carpenter...re-sign Kearse and Anderson. There’s your hundred mil in cap space. Then Mack is 28 going on 29. Then you’re trying to replace Beachum. You’ll let Darron Lee walk, so that’s a plus. You need a new ORG and those guys are getting $14 mil per now. Are you re-signing Shell? Then you’re cutting Trumaine Johnson after 2019. Then Jamal Adams is holding out for Jalen Ramsey money HAHAHAHAHAHA. The bills for drafting Mack are going to come due very quickly. The best way to pay for them would be to let Leonard Williams walk, tbh. 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

The jets won’t be competitive without a pass rusher. You gotta pay the price 

Nothing is a given in this league! Every year you go for the gusto. Did anyone think the Patriots could beat the Rams, the greatest show on turf? You have to get into the tournament! Anything can happen in this league! You could win a playoff game & your opponent loses 3 studs to injury in their playoff game. This whole wait till next year talk is for losers, 1st rounders are freaking crap shoots & you guys know it. Other than the Cowboys, what other organization has an Oline filled with 1st rounders? 

Did you see all of the Cowboys Oline hurt on the sideline last night vs Arizona? Every year is a new year & nothing's a given ever in this league. The Patriots have to falter some time. They don't have Edelman for 4 games & they're Oline has struggled, Cannon has been hurt, their LT sucks & I'd want nothing more than Khalil Mack throwing him into Brady. 

Pats start the season vs Houston Texans at home & on the road vs Jags. Start of this season could be very interesting! 

13 minutes ago, ljr said:

Agreed

Of course it's nice to dream of Mack ... It should remain that though ... A dream.

This is reality ... LT,RT,LG,RG,C

Shell, Carpenter, and Long are good players. Beachum is a good player. Was last year. Was a good player with Jacksonville.

Archived