Report: Four Teams Making Serious bid for Khalil Mack, Jets Included?

JetNation

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. The Jets will have a top six pick next season in a pass-rusher heavy draft. 

2. Mack will cost you more than Bridgewater and that one. 

Well like I said if they want more than Teddy and a one we stay put. If next year is a pass rusher heavy draft no matter how you slice it pass rusher is just as much a crap shoot as taking a QB since most pass rushers in college are just dominating inferior players. 

Only way we should do this Deal is Teddy and a one ...and FWIW I don't think we are picking in the top 6 (lets say 6) and even then any "can't miss" prospects will be gone

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The jets won’t be competitive without a pass rusher. You gotta pay the price 

No, no, no, no. 

The Jets aren't contending this year, anyway, so why pay through the roof? Why not just wait until next off-season/draft (i.e. When we have the most cap space in the NFL and our 1st round pick) to find a pass-rusher?

3 hours ago, slats said:

No chance Khalil is unhappy with his contract down the road when he's earning "considerably" less, right? It's not like he's had a contract dispute before. 

He's certainly a talented player, but that's a lot to give up in money, picks, and an asset for a big potential headache, too. 

I agree. I remember when the Jets front loaded a Revis contract. It didn't work out well as the greedy p.o.s. started to complain that he made less than market value on the team friendly portion of the deal, even though he knew what he signed, then held out for more again. Never give players more up front. 90%+- of these guys are overgrown children who despite talking about business as if they have an MBA basically just whore themselves out to the highest bidder.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

You guys are nuts! You wouldn't give up 2 1st rounders for Mack? I would. Chances are we're picking in that mid range again, did you guys look at that list of our 1st rounders the last 8 years? 

They're just bodies & most are already gone! Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples, Dee Milliner, Richardson, Wilkerson, and on & on. We have enough cap space to fill out the team even after trading for Mack. 

People here have been complaining about drafting Adams & Maye because there were like 5 veteran safeties available in the offseason. You get Mack, Jets could just concentrate on the Oline. Look at the 1st rounders in the Darron Lee draft, would it have been horrible to not have a pick that year? If you have a chance to draft a top 3 defensive beast at a position of need you do it if it's possible. If you know what you know now you would trade Calvin Pryor, Mo Wilkerson, Quinton Coples & Sheldon Richardson for Khalil Mack! 

We suck at drafting, unless a sure thing drops in our lap. 

I say do it today

45 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't buy that we are serious contenders for Mack given our current draft capital. 

Mack is a double digit sack guy, so he's obviously intriguing, but IF the Raiders actually trade him (a huge IF, IMO), he's going to be hella expensive. 

Meanwhile, we have a ton of cap room next off-season (currently the most in the NFL, I believe) and our first round pick. Since we aren't contending this year anyway, either of these two avenues would be a much more prudent method for landing a legit pass-rusher. 

Also next years draft is supposed to be rich with pass rushers in the first round. We'll probably be picking top 10. Just wait and get your own for way cheaper.

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Other than Darnold, name a first round pick that is worth half of Mack that the Jets have made. Mack is only 27. Also who cares about the money? Darnold is on a rookie contract and next year the Jets save $10M on McCown's contract.

You do know that they don't add the $10M from not re-signing McCown to the 2019 cap space, don't you?  When people throw around that $80-100M figure. they are not considering that Claiborne, Pryor, Anderson, Kearse, Carpenter, McCown, Bridgewater, etc are not under contract.  You need to replace those guys with that money.

2 hours ago, genot said:

Mack would transform this defense into a dominant one in. All those lack of big splash plays on defense, would suddenly be happening on a regular basis. Williams would have an easier time getting in the QB's face. You can find good o-lineman later in the draft. Shell was a 5th round pick. There are quality guards available in free agency next year. We have the cash. To me it's a no brainer. If we don't do it, someone else will. That's for damn sure

Does Leonard Williams want a tissue?  It's the same D that was so bad that poor put-upon Leonard Williams can't get anything done, but now they are going to be dominant?  I have been hearing this D needs X piece to be dominant for years.  It hasn't been since 2010, maybe 2009.  

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Nothing is a given in this league! Every year you go for the gusto. Did anyone think the Patriots could beat the Rams, the greatest show on turf? You have to get into the tournament! Anything can happen in this league! You could win a playoff game & your opponent loses 3 studs to injury in their playoff game. This whole wait till next year talk is for losers, 1st rounders are freaking crap shoots & you guys know it. Other than the Cowboys, what other organization has an Oline filled with 1st rounders? 

Did you see all of the Cowboys Oline hurt on the sideline last night vs Arizona? Every year is a new year & nothing's a given ever in this league. The Patriots have to falter some time. They don't have Edelman for 4 games & they're Oline has struggled, Cannon has been hurt, their LT sucks & I'd want nothing more than Khalil Mack throwing him into Brady. 

Pats start the season vs Houston Texans at home & on the road vs Jags. Start of this season could be very interesting! 

So, one year after we literally took the season off to reset, you are all in?  

2 hours ago, genot said:

Shell, Carpenter, and Long are good players. Beachum is a good player. Was last year. Was a good player with Jacksonville.

What?  Beachum was bad with the Jags.  Very bad.  They refused his option and moved on from him after a year and tried to trade for Branden Albert.

Beachum, 27, tore his ACL playing for Pittsburgh in 2015 and signed a prove-it deal with the Jaguars last March.  Beachum started 15 games (1,023 of 1,112 snaps), missing only the Week 3 loss to Baltimore after he sustained a concussion at San Diego.  Beachum and right tackle Jermey Parnell were tied for the team lead with 10 enforced penalties.  Per the Times-Union game charting, Beachum allowed a combined 27 sacks/pressures/hits, second-most on the team behind Parnell (28.5). Beachum was on the books for five sacks.  In the run game, Beachum was responsible for 11 1/2 “bad” runs, plays that gained one or fewer yards, not including short-yardage plays that resulted in a first down or touchdown.

Sounds great!  He was okay in Pittsburgh, but they were happy enough to move on from him too. 

My first reaction is get it done. I would love to have Mack...would love it. Then when the novelty wears off you're talking about having NO PICKS in the first two rounds of next years draft and no first in 2020. Add in Mack's age and I'm starting to say NO. This team is not a playoff team as is and while adding Mack on the surface looks great it does not put the Jets where they need to be. Holes on the OL and EVERYWHERE else dictate holding on to the picks unless its for a young controllable guy who will be there when the team is ready to contend, not when some believe it will be.

This team can compete in 2019 for the playoffs. I’ve been against trading a first for Mack but I now think we should do it.

2019 1st, Teddy, 2020 3rd. Anything more and it’s not worth it. 

In 2019, we will still have enough cap to sign our guys and 1 free agent. Get Shaq Mason. NE won’t be able to sign him. Beachum, Shell and Long are ok. Leaving one guard position up in the air.

3 hours ago, fltflo said:

With all our holes there is no way we should make this trade. As much as we need a solid pass rusher, giving up the next two years #1’s is something the Jets can’t afford to do. We will just have to muddle thru this year with what we have. Then next year with the monies that are available get the best pass rusher in free agency.
It’s time to rebuild the O line to protect Sam and improve our running game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True - but we used a #1 to select Calvin Pryor once. *shudder* ... and not only did we waste that pick, but basically chose to use another #1 to replace him. That's 2 #1s. 

Now think about Mack - one of the best players in the game whose strength is our greatest need and has a track record of durability. 

I'm kind of talking myself into thinking that Teddy B and two #1s are worth it here. GLAD I'M NOT A GM. 

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

This team can compete in 2019 for the playoffs. I’ve been against trading a first for Mack but I now think we should do it.

2019 1st, Teddy, 2020 3rd. Anything more and it’s not worth it. 

In 2019, we will still have enough cap to sign our guys and 1 free agent. Get Shaq Mason. NE won’t be able to sign him. Beachum, Shell and Long are ok. Leaving one guard position up in the air.

Teddy Bridgewater will be gone next year anyway.  The Jets would use next year's 1st Round pick on an Edge Rusher like Mack (if available) anyway.  We're just talking about the cost of an additional pick to ensure we get a "known quantity" like Mack and not the risk of a bust.  I would absolutely trade Teddy, a 2019 1st and another pick (outside Round 1 in 2020) for Khalil Mack.  However, I'd hope to get back a later round pick from the Raider (5, 6, 7, etc.) simply to replenish some of the bodies we'd be lacking in the 2019 Draft by not having 1st and 2nd round picks.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You do know that they don't add the $10M from not re-signing McCown to the 2019 cap space, don't you?  When people throw around that $80-100M figure. they are not considering that Claiborne, Pryor, Anderson, Kearse, Carpenter, McCown, Bridgewater, etc are not under contract.  You need to replace those guys with that money.

Does Leonard Williams want a tissue?  It's the same D that was so bad that poor put-upon Leonard Williams can't get anything done, but now they are going to be dominant?  I have been hearing this D needs X piece to be dominant for years.  It hasn't been since 2010, maybe 2009.  

So, one year after we literally took the season off to reset, you are all in?  

What?  Beachum was bad with the Jags.  Very bad.  They refused his option and moved on from him after a year and tried to trade for Branden Albert.

Beachum, 27, tore his ACL playing for Pittsburgh in 2015 and signed a prove-it deal with the Jaguars last March.  Beachum started 15 games (1,023 of 1,112 snaps), missing only the Week 3 loss to Baltimore after he sustained a concussion at San Diego.  Beachum and right tackle Jermey Parnell were tied for the team lead with 10 enforced penalties.  Per the Times-Union game charting, Beachum allowed a combined 27 sacks/pressures/hits, second-most on the team behind Parnell (28.5). Beachum was on the books for five sacks.  In the run game, Beachum was responsible for 11 1/2 “bad” runs, plays that gained one or fewer yards, not including short-yardage plays that resulted in a first down or touchdown.

Sounds great!  He was okay in Pittsburgh, but they were happy enough to move on from him too. 

I meant Pitt with Beachum. He was a descent player for them, and I thought he played well last year for us. As for Williams, your really making my point. If it wasn't for Ryans creative blitz packages, we would have had the same problem then as we do now. Why did he need all those blitz packages, that the league caught on too. No dominant pass rusher

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

If it happens... it will be the Packers.  They have two first round picks in 2019, and a win now team that makes more sense to come up with whatever extra.

The Jets need an edge rusher badly.  But priority one has to be the OL.

OL is always the trad word here but with a zone block scheme and mobile QB we could easily get away w prioritizing OLB over OT. 

Risky, yes. But this team will get carved up if they can’t get to the QB.

22 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

We suck at drafting, unless a sure thing drops in our lap. 

I say do it today

Your really just giving up 1 number 1 because Khalil Macks don't come around every draft! So you look at Mack as next years #1 in a NEED SPOT! 2020 is the really the pick your giving up. I will wager with anyone on this board that the NY Jets #1 pick (wherever it is) will no f*cking way be a player of Macks stature! So the Jets pay him a lot of money, I don't care, it's not my money & you have 5 years of Sam cheap & maybe some numbskull team will give us picks for Leonard Williams when his agent starts asking for crazy money? 

Helluva a lot easier to find a DT than an edge rusher. I know many here don't think so but a Mack trade & maybe a late pick for Fowler if Coughlin wants him out, Sam exciting the whole group with some wow plays, you just never know! The Pats are THINNER than they've ever been, have garbage at LT, Cannon is injured, WRs are thin, will Gronk last all season?

Would you have pegged the Giants for 2-14? 

31 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Also next years draft is supposed to be rich with pass rushers in the first round. We'll probably be picking top 10. Just wait and get your own for way cheaper.

That, and you can supplement with guys like Fowler and Ray who will be available in free agency for less money and no picks. 

24 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

My first reaction is get it done. I would love to have Mack...would love it. Then when the novelty wears off you're talking about having NO PICKS in the first two rounds of next years draft and no first in 2020. Add in Mack's age and I'm starting to say NO. This team is not a playoff team as is and while adding Mack on the surface looks great it does not put the Jets where they need to be. Holes on the OL and EVERYWHERE else dictate holding on to the picks unless its for a young controllable guy who will be there when the team is ready to contend, not when some believe it will be.

Everywhere else. Cmon. We have three needs. An impact pass rusher, a reliable, durable guard, and a Left tackle with Beachum being a 3rd tackle for us.

Fowler and Ray will be free agents for a reason id take either one they would improve this defense. 

Mack is a superstar these types of NFL players demand money look around the league. 

FTR I would do Bridgewater and 2019 #1 thats it and lock Mack up until he retires. 

2 minutes ago, rldev said:

Some of you guys are crazy. You want to give up 2 first round picks and a starting caliber QB and pay $22 million per for one player? What winning organization does this?

I'd give up that if we can get a 2nd rounder back in return in next years draft. We have to get a high pick back,

1 minute ago, genot said:

Everywhere else. Cmon. We have three needs. An impact pass rusher, a reliable, durable guard, and a Left tackle with Beachum being a 3rd tackle for us.

And next year?  We will need at least a starting G, WRs, starting CB + nickel back and sign Williams.  You want to pay $8M for a backup tackle?   

20 minutes ago, genot said:

I meant Pitt with Beachum. He was a descent player for them, and I thought he played well last year for us. As for Williams, your really making my point. If it wasn't for Ryans creative blitz packages, we would have had the same problem then as we do now. Why did he need all those blitz packages, that the league caught on too. No dominant pass rusher

I made your point with Williams?  What was that?  Unless it was that the Jets D isn't 1 player from being dominant, I don't think I did.  Was the Raiders D dominant?  

Also, not sure how I glossed over it, but by what metric are you counting Shell as a "good player?"  I haven't seen it yet.  

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

And next year?  We will need at least a starting G, WRs, starting CB + nickel back and sign Williams.  You want to pay $8M for a backup tackle?   

Contracts are restructured every year.

11 minutes ago, rldev said:

Some of you guys are crazy. You want to give up 2 first round picks and a starting caliber QB and pay $22 million per for one player? What winning organization does this?

Well, who have our 1st round picks been lately?

one player needs some definition, the one player is one of the very best at his position in the nfl and is coming into his prime at a position we are in desperate need of.

we have cap space.

Bridgewater, the jury is still out on him.

Here is a Question for you.  What winning org gives up 3 2nd round picks to move up 3 spots in a draft without knowing who is on the board?

12 minutes ago, genot said:

I guess we agree to disagree. Special teams, terrible tackling, and all the other stuff will not be cured by the additional you speak of.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I made your point with Williams?  What was that?  Unless it was that the Jets D isn't 1 player from being dominant, I don't think I did.  Was the Raiders D dominant?  

Also, not sure how I glossed over it, but by what metric are you counting Shell as a "good player?"  I haven't seen it yet.  

Not to be a wise guy. But a player of Mack's caliber makes Williams a better player. An offense has only so many blockers. Shell has played well, I think. Has fought the injury bug though. And he's had a very good camp. The Raiders obviously have problems on defense. Mack's not one of them.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

I guess we agree to disagree. Special teams, terrible tackling, and all the other stuff will not be cured by the additional you speak of.

Well. Special teams are a big worry. I think your overstating the tackling issue though. Other stuff???

Archived