Report: Four Teams Making Serious bid for Khalil Mack, Jets Included?

JetNation

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Okay, play this out. The Jets have ~$16 mil in cap space right now, so let’s give that all to Mack as part of his new 5 year, $130 mil contract ($22 mil avg). You’d give him $30 mil of that up front next year. Then you re-sign Leo. Then you replace Claiborne...and Carpenter...re-sign Kearse and Anderson. There’s your hundred mil in cap space. Then Mack is 28 going on 29. Then you’re trying to replace Beachum. You’ll let Darron Lee walk, so that’s a plus. You need a new ORG and those guys are getting $14 mil per now. Are you re-signing Shell? Then you’re cutting Trumaine Johnson after 2019. Then Jamal Adams is holding out for Jalen Ramsey money HAHAHAHAHAHA. The bills for drafting Mack are going to come due very quickly. The best way to pay for them would be to let Leonard Williams walk, tbh. 

I'd throw Leonard Williams at them plus Teddy and a First (2019).

How hard is it really to replace a run stuffing DL, who offers little pass rush?

1 minute ago, genot said:

Your a troll. I mean you have to be.

Production speaks for its self. I like Leo, but he isn't worth the 6th overall we drafted him at. His production outside of being a run stuffer is minimal 12 sacks in three years.

If it lands us Mack I'm all in.

14 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

How hard is it really to replace a run stuffing DL, who offers little pass rush?

I think even that’s too much and the Raiders are then stuck trying to pay Williams instead of Mack so it doesn’t help them out. They also have pretty good players along the DL anyway.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If Mack was 24, I’d make that deal, but the fact that he’ll likely be 30 before the Jets are ready to compete for titles kills this for me. You can’t lose (1) two firsts (and the second from the Darnold trade) AND (2) $100 mil in cash and expect to rebuild, again, in any meaningful way. You’d effectively become the Raiders—nice young QB, Mack, and a bunch of spare parts.

I would rather get value and 2 good rushers like Fowler and your suggestion, Shane Ray. We are so bad at that position that we could use 2. 

12 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Production speaks for its self. I like Leo, but he isn't worth the 6th overall we drafted him at. His production outside of being a run stuffer is minimal 12 sacks in three years.

If it lands us Mack I'm all in.

His production was down last year. Why? No edge rusher, and Wilkerson dogging it most of the time. Getting double teamed and sometimes triple teamed on a constant basis must be very tiring . Even for an athlete of Williams caliber.

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Raiders had the worst defense in the league with Mack having a “dopy” season.  His impact is overrated.

The raiders play defense with 11 players. Don't downgrade Mack because of his teammates shortcomings.

31 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Youre not taking into consideration Williams may be the only pass rushing threat we have and he is constantly double teamed and in some cases maybe even triple teamed if a team keeps a back in there as well. With Mack, Williams becomes a Monster and will give us a double threat across the front 7 not to mention how it would help some of our young pass rushers as well.

Mack is the type of player who can transform a defense and with our secondary I would say possibly even an elite defense is not out of the question. You just cant start giving away players  on D ....Teddy and a first and that's it !! because you have to know that your not going to get a Kaliel Mack with next years Number one pick you're just not.

Teddy and Next years first and thats as far as you go since you still have to pay Mack and the Raiders know this. Also we still have a lot of FA money that can make up for the loos of one first rounder and most of next years cap Money will go to a Number 1 WR and OL

9 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I would rather get value and 2 good rushers like Fowler and your suggestion, Shane Ray. We are so bad at that position that we could use 2. 

This is a good path! Fowler would cost Bridgewater and possibly a late pick. Fowler is a head case, but maybe he gets it together away from Florida. I’ve soured on Ray a bit. He opted not to get surgery on his wrist and is playing on the second and third team defenses out there. It’s likely he’s waiting to get to a new team before getting the surgery and sitting out another season.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Jets are loaded with weapons. You don't need an Elliot and a Julio Jones to get to a Super Bowl.

not really loaded with weapons ... I would say we are solid but are in need of a game changing Number 1 WR who can consistently be counted on to move the chains just by throwing the ball in his direction. Kind of like Matt Ryan does with Julio Jones and Big ben does with Antonio Brown

Just a quick question and I realize Mack is a much more valuable player then Jarvis Landry.

Landry was franchised, threatening to not report, and was traded for 4th and 7th round pick and then Cleveland gave him an extension.

Jimmy G. - not as proven, but at the only position move valuable then edge was traded for a second round pick because he was a Free Agent.

Mack is not showing up to play in oakland, and is due a huge contract.  Why exactly is the price multiple first round picks for a player that Oakland has iffy leverage and somehow doesnt want to pay? It just seems like that cant be the actual rate.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This is a good path! Fowler would cost Bridgewater and possibly a late pick. Fowler is a head case, but maybe he gets it together away from Florida. I’ve soured on Ray a bit. He opted not to get surgery on his wrist and is playing on the second and third team defenses out there. It’s likely he’s waiting to get to a new team before getting the surgery and sitting out another season.

if you give Teddy and a number 1 for Mack thats about as good as you can hope for. Mack IMHO transforms this defense and fast. Who can you think of in next years draft with might amount to a pick in the 10 - 17 range that's even going to be close to a Kaliel Mack ? We all know Teddy is trade bait so thats a wash

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Just a quick question and I realize Mack is a much more valuable player then Jarvis Landry.

Landry was franchised, threatening to not report, and was traded for 4th and 7th round pick and then Cleveland gave him an extension.

Jimmy G. - not as proven, but at the only position move valuable then edge was traded for a second round pick because he was a Free Agent.

Mack is not showing up to play in oakland, and is due a huge contract.  Why exactly is the price multiple first round picks for a player that Oakland has iffy leverage and somehow doesnt want to pay? It just seems like that cant be the actual rate.

I agree anyone giving up multiple firsts is an Idiot BUT its not really about Oaklands situation they just got lucky Mack is the type of player that will cause a bidding war so the market will dictate in this situation since no one who really wnats him will take the chance of waiting the Raiders out while another team swoops in and makes the deal .

21 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

exactly for a guy most know the Raiders probably can't pay anyhow

I take this back .... As I stated in a later post this may not be about what the Raiders can or cant do its about who wants Mack the most which will help the Raiders. Also keep in mind whatever team wins this sweepstakes will have to have a contract agreement with Mack before the deal even happens so this could take some time

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

They also won’t be competitive without a LT, RT, RB, and WR.  

Exactly, way too much to give up, can we focus on protecting our possible FQB. There is no denying what Mack can possibly due for our D. I prefer we build a proper o-line for SD which should be a priority. 

15 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

not really loaded with weapons ... I would say we are solid but are in need of a game changing Number 1 WR who can consistently be counted on to move the chains just by throwing the ball in his direction. Kind of like Matt Ryan does with Julio Jones and Big ben does with Antonio Brown

Pryor, Anderson, and Kearse, with Herndon at Tight end could prove very difficult for a defense too stop. And that's leaving out Enunwa.

For me it depends what teams would trade for Teddy. If the Jags wanted to go straight up Teddy for Fowler then that’s the play I make. If that isn’t in the cards then a 1st and Teddy for Mack would be my second option. I think it would mean letting Leo play out his rookie deal and tagging him twice before allowing him to walk.

29 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

if you give Teddy and a number 1 for Mack thats about as good as you can hope for. Mack IMHO transforms this defense and fast. Who can you think of in next years draft with might amount to a pick in the 10 - 17 range that's even going to be close to a Kaliel Mack ? We all know Teddy is trade bait so thats a wash

1. The Jets will have a top six pick next season in a pass-rusher heavy draft. 

2. Mack will cost you more than Bridgewater and that one. 

33 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Not a wash, if we get a 3 for Teddy from someone else then it cost a 3. You dont value it at 0 just because we were trading him anyway 

mccags likes to inquire about stuff.  i don't see him entering the 2019 draft without 1st and 2nd round picks though.  the patriots are still kings of the division and the jets are at least 1 more year away from possibly challenging this.  i think oakland would trade mack if they ripped someone off but otherwise they'll reach an 11th hour deal.  

I don't buy that we are serious contenders for Mack given our current draft capital. 

Mack is a double digit sack guy, so he's obviously intriguing, but IF the Raiders actually trade him (a huge IF, IMO), he's going to be hella expensive. 

Meanwhile, we have a ton of cap room next off-season (currently the most in the NFL, I believe) and our first round pick. Since we aren't contending this year anyway, either of these two avenues would be a much more prudent method for landing a legit pass-rusher. 

I would tell  Oakland that I would indeed give them the 2 first round pick and Bridgewater value.  But better yet for them who are in a win now mode and might not want to wait for development of new players.

Jamal Adams, Darron Lee and Teddy Bridgewater for Mack.  I think Adams would totally be a Gruden type of player a guy he would fall in love with.  Mr Gruden you get a fast lb to replace mack, you get a vocal leader safety and your back up qb.

12 minutes ago, CTM said:

Not a wash, if we get a 3 for Teddy from someone else then it cost a 3. You dont value it at 0 just because we were trading him anyway 

ok so then call it a 1 and a 3 for Mack and I'm not sure we are getting 3 for Teddy unless the perfect scenario presents itself like a team that is a contender loses their starter and even then its not that easy cause they would probably play their back up since he already knows the offense if it were to happen after 4 or 5 games. For us to get a deal for Teddy a QB on a contending team needs to get hurt early in the year, so we are on the clock in that situation. Odds are thats not going to happen and the later in the year we go the less value Teddy has because teams know he's free at year end.

In this scenario if Oakland wants Teddy and a 1 we do it yesterday

The only way a trade for Mack makes sense for this team and plays in our favor, if we're throwing them two 1st rounders, is if Darnold ends up having a Rookie of the Year type season. 

You can be confident in him but that's just gambling. I'd rather just wait and draft one in the first round next year.  

I know Mac and the team feels desperate for a pass rusher at this point but I can't see him giving up a ton of future picks especially if he was stingy when trading up for a QB. 

Archived