The Practice Squad-The Dumping Ground for Mac’s Draft Picks

varjet

If I am the Jets, when in doubt I would put Mac’s weak draft picks on the Practice Squad and keep players that outperformed them in camp.  I don’t see any other teams picking them up, and quite frankly they should have them.  Some can go on the Practice Squad after they get off of suspension.  Players will get hurt, and they can get another chance when they move up.

• Donahue-players like Luvu and Copeland are better athletes.  Put him on the PS and sort out his suspension.
  • Leggett-Walford outplayed him.  
  • Stewart-PS after suspension, unless injuries. See Hansen.
  • Hansen-Outplayed by McBride and Johnson, and Peake and Roberts play specials.  This team will lose too many games if the specials are no good.  
  • Mauldin-may not be eligible.  
  • Burris-he is a safety.  Work on that on the PS.

Next post-veterans who should be cut with spots saved for players with potential.’

Mac should basically disown his 2015-2017 drafts, throw the scouts under the bus, and focus on creating the best team for Darnold and the fans.

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

If I am the Jets, when in doubt I would put Mac’s weak draft picks on the Practice Squad and keep players that outperformed them in camp.  I don’t see any other teams picking them up, and quite frankly they should have them.  Some can go on the Practice Squad after they get off of suspension.  Players will get hurt, and they can get another chance when they move up.

• Donahue-players like Luvu and Copeland are better athletes.  Put him on the PS and sort out his suspension.
  • Hansen-Outplayed by McBride and Johnson, and Peake and Roberts play specials.  This team will lose too many games if the specials are no good.  

Next post-veterans who should be cut with spots saved for players with potential.’

Mac should basically disown his 2015-2017 drafts, throw the scouts under the bus, and focus on creating the best team for Darnold and the fans.

You don't have a clue dude. you really don't.

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

Nobody whines as good as a Jets fan.

I see most of that happen actually. We’ll find out the next two days.

One thing to consider though is that they got out played by other young players. It’s not like McBride, Sterling  and Luvu are some old veterans. Bad 3rd day draft picks but he makes up for it by finding young players other GMs give up on or overlook. 

This to me hasn’t been an issue. The real issue has been not finding impact players at the top of the draft. Hopefully Leo, Darnold, and Adams get there. But that’s what’s holding us back.

I would just argue that guys like Donahue, Burris, and Hansen don’t deserve practice squad spots because they’re not going to get any more athletic. You could probably add Leggett to this list, but moreso because it sounds like he simply doesn’t like football. 

10 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

One thing to consider though is that they got out played by other young players. It’s not like McBride and Luvu are some old veterans. Bad 3rd day draft picks but he makes up for by finding young players other GMs give up on or overlook. 

This to me hasn’t been an issue. The real issue has been not finding impact players at the top of the draft. Hopefully Leo, Darnold, and Adams get there. But that’s what’s holding us back.

Well the bad day 3 picks are being outplayed by fringe players that aren’t good themselves. So yes Mac “finds” these players but they are not good at all and wouldn’t make another team. It’s “good” for us but bad for a typical team. So he’s “ok” at finding these bubble players. 

Late round picks(at least some of them) should show enough to fill these spots and be able to contribute on specials themselves. Mac has been atrocious at this.

What he is good at is getting those value FA players/trades that without question will make he team (Beachum,Carpenter,Long,McClendon, Safarian-Jenkins,Bridgewater, McCown, Kearse, Pryor, Marshall etc..). There are more too but the list was getting too big.

I think this is the only area that he “shines” in besides flexible contracts. I can give the guy credit where it’s due but it’s not enough “good” if you ask me. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would just argue that guys like Donahue, Burris, and Hansen don’t deserve practice squad spots because they’re not going to get any more athletic. You could probably add Leggett to this list, but moreso because it sounds like he simply doesn’t like football. 

I am concerned that Mac puts draft picks on the 53 because they are draft picks.  The PS is s middle ground. Hack should have been put on the PS.

But yes, you could also argue that these players are hopeless and should be cut outright,   

Clueless?  Of these 5 players not suspended, let’s see who are cut or put on the PS.  My guess is 4.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Donahue doesn't belong in the NFL and he won't stay there for long. He is overmatched.

Just one example. Hansen. If he's cut,or goes on the practice squad ,it's only because he was outplayed by two guys who were cut by the teams that drafted them. But people here are willing to label players going into their 2nd or third year ,busts. Watch game film on Stewart, when he was with Alabama. He can ball. Your going to label him a bust, going into his 2nd year. He's not going to get that much of chance this year. He's a slot receiver, and Kearse has that locked up.

Just now, genot said:

Just one example. Hansen. If he's cut,or goes on the practice squad ,it's only because he was outplayed by two guys who were cut by the teams that drafted them. But people here are willing to label players going into their 2nd or third year ,busts. Watch game film on Stewart, when he was with Alabama. He can ball. Your going to label him a bust, going into his 2nd year. He's not going to get that much of chance this year. He's a slot receiver, and Kearse has that locked up.

The Jets have what many people call a bottom 5 talent roster.

It's a good spot for a draft pick to come in and when a job. Hansen and Stewart both laid eggs this camp.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Donahue doesn't belong in the NFL and he won't stay there for long. He is overmatched.

Imagine standing by a player with multiple DUIs who got hammered and drove down the wrong tube in the Lincoln Tunnel and that player is as bad as Donahue. 

51 minutes ago, varjet said:

I'd say Hansen, Stewart and Burris. Everyone else can be let go. I would have liked to see Leggett turn into something but we have Herndon and Sterling looks to be turning into something good, so F that. Maulding just sucks. And Donahue isn't worth it. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine standing by a player with multiple DUIs who got hammered and drove down the wrong tube in the Lincoln Tunnel and that player is as bad as Donahue. 

So true. I was surprised he didn't get cut when all that happened. It would have been an easy way to send a message to the team to not do stupid stuff.

You have to send those messages when bad players do those things LOL.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am concerned that Mac puts draft picks on the 53 because they are draft picks.  The PS is s middle ground. Hack should have been put on the PS.

But yes, you could also argue that these players are hopeless and should be cut outright,   

Clueless?  Of these 5 players not suspended, let’s see who are cut or put on the PS.  My guess is 4.

I guess. It’s my belief that you should use the practice squad for high-level athletes who need to work on technique and/or getting into an NFL nutrition program. Using it to stash nice kids who can’t run is a waste of time. 

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It's a good spot for a draft pick to come in and when a job. Hansen and Stewart both laid eggs this camp.

It’s like our picks have golden opportunities to stick and win important jobs/roles with the team but they can’t get out of their own way and are so bad that they can’t even flash to secure a spot and beat out scrubs. 

6 minutes ago, genot said:

What you see from Stewart’s Alabama film is that he was the third or fourth option in the passing game and can’t move laterally. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No place on this team for principal alone. If he was a really good player I’d still be pissed but this is he NFL where character doesn’t matter if you can play.

This guy is TERRIBLE though and was another one of Mac’s 75 year old rookies that don’t usually pan out and has peaked before even getting to the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So true. I was surprised he didn't get cut when all that happened. It would have been an easy way to send a message to the team to not do stupid stuff.

You have to send those messages when bad players do those things LOL.

It’s not Bowles’ way. He treats all these players like they’re his children, which is a terrible way to run a professional football team. He can go coach D-III football in Kentucky if he wants to be a father figure to kids.

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Stewart didn’t “ball” with Alabama.   He played opposite Calvin Ridley on a run heavy offense featuring Derek Henry.  Stewart’s production was a result of opposing defenses scheming to stop Henry and Ridley.  Stewart was a 4th or 5th option in that offense and he benefitted from a bunch man coverage from corners who were average college players.  He was a poor draft pick. 

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Who would they take jobs from. We're not talking about high round picks here. If Hansen gets beat, it's by someone who multiple teams gave up on. My point being, every team misses on picks .After the 3rd round, it's a crapshoot for everyone.

31 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

One thing to consider though is that they got out played by other young players. It’s not like McBride, Sterling  and Luvu are some old veterans. Bad 3rd day draft picks but he makes up for it by finding young players other GMs give up on or overlook. 

Yeah it’s funny, Mac has been about an average GM, but his biggest weakness, the draft, was supposed to be his strength 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What you see from Stewart’s Alabama film is that he was the third or fourth option in the passing game and can’t move laterally. 

He has good hands, catches the ball in traffic ,and can run after the catch. Just what you want in a slot receiver. To me. I mean,he could bust, but im not gonna write him off

15 minutes ago, genot said:

This is the issue.   The draft pecking order, given value and what they are paid, should be driven by the ability of a player to play right away.  The earlier they can contribute, the higher they are picked.  Players like Stewart should have been drafted lower and should spend time on the PS.  Elflein or Hunt should have been picked there.  Stewart could be good long term, but he was drafted too high and needs PS time. 

Just now, genot said:

He has good hands, catches the ball in traffic ,and can run after the catch. Just what you want in a slot receiver. To me. I mean,he could bust, but im not gonna write him off

Yeah, no need to write him off, but it’s fair to be a little bit troubled by what you’ve seen so far. I think the fact that they don’t even try him on kick or punt returns is a little odd, too. If he’s not going to contribute at receiver, he’s wasting a roster spot solely because he was a draft pick

The Jets used to do a decent job of drafting wide receivers. Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Rob Moore, Terrance Mathis, Keyshawn Johnson, Laverneous Coles, Santana Moss and so forth. But since the Tannenbaum era we have absolutely sucked at it. Whoever we have scouting college receivers flat out sucks. Recent draftees have been soft, lousy route runners and unathletic. Maccagnan needs to clean house in this area. 

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Stewart didn’t “ball” with Alabama.   He played opposite Calvin Ridley on a run heavy offense featuring Derek Henry.  Stewart’s production was a result of opposing defenses scheming to stop Henry and Ridley.  Stewart was a 4th or 5th option in that offense and he benefitted from a bunch man coverage from corners who were average college players.  He was a poor draft pick. 

Stop it

5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

The Jets used to do a decent job of drafting wide receivers. Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Rob Moore, Terrance Mathis, Keyshawn Johnson, Laverneous Coles, Santana Moss and so forth. But since the Tannenbaum era we have absolutely sucked at it. Whoever we have scouting college receivers flat out sucks. Recent draftees have been soft, lousy route runners and unathletic. Maccagnan needs to clean house in this area. 

That's quite the broad range of time you did there. Wouldn't exactly call that a decent job. That's just called investing in an early draft pick. 

But yeah, we need to look at the Steelers and copy whatever they're doing over there with the WR position because all they do is pump out good WR's. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, no need to write him off, but it’s fair to be a little bit troubled by what you’ve seen so far. I think the fact that they don’t even try him on kick or punt returns is a little odd, too. If he’s not going to contribute at receiver, he’s wasting a roster spot solely because he was a draft pick

Lot of free agents next year at WR. He could be our best friend. Then again, he might not be.

I am thinking that at least 1 of Stewart/Hansen/Peake makes the roster, and it is likely going to be Stewart.my guess would be Stewart.  His saving grace is that he is under contract for next season, so I think they keep him around, even if he is 6th on the depth chart and is not expected to contribute much, hoping he can be developed enough to contriubte next season. 

Stewart, Hansen and Peake are the only WRs under contract for 19.  I think this gives them an edge over guys like McBride and Johnson.  And I don't get what other see in Johnson, he has done little to nothing all preseason, couple of catches, couple of drops, have not noticed him on Special Teams which is a necessity for 5th/6th WR. 

I am rooting for McBride ahead of any of these guys, but I am afraid he may be odd man out with Roberts taking a spot as punt returner.

Archived