Mehta: Jets Reach out to Steelers Regarding Le’Veon Bell

JetNation

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Bell is a very talented player but I'm sorry, I'm not paying 15+ million for him with our current roster.  Bell, loves to tip toe and slow down waiting for the right hole to run through.  That is not happening with our line.  

What? He tip toes & BURSTS through the line! This guy is as smooth as silk & can run straight ahead with his body sideways like Eric Dickerson use to do. He comes up BIG IN BIG GAMES too! 

11 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Out of the the 2015-2017 drafts with his 2nd-4th round picks only 3 of those players are still on the roster. His drafts have been bad you can't blame people on here for not trusting his judgement. he's had 4 drafts now do we have any stud players? do we have any players the defense has to account for really? Based on Macs awful track record trading a 3rd round pick for the best rb in the game is a no brainer.

We drafted Stewart over Kenny Golladay

Ugh

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What? He tip toes & BURSTS through the line! This guy is as smooth as silk & can run straight ahead with his body sideways like Eric Dickerson use to do. He comes up BIG IN BIG GAMES too! 

With the Pittsburgh line he can BURT through.  Not with our line. and not for 15-20 mil....don't forget that signing bonus too.

14 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Would be interesting to see how successful teams compare how have the patriots eagles rams chiefs fared in the past 4 years of free agency

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Most of the successful teams almost always have low cap to spend in the FA unlike the Jets, so they’re always bargain hunting. 

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

Just can't see the Jets being stupid enough to give up any draft capital.  Only thing that slightly makes sense is to give them Crowell..................................Even that's stretching it.  

You lost me after that. ?

That being said, I'm all aboard the Bell train! As long as it doesn't cost a high pick, the Jets should be all in.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Hey, the one thing this team doesn't need is a top 3 fantasy RB. What do you think this is, an offensive league? 

It’s definitely not a running league

you need Oline and receivers, and interchangeable YOUNG backs

last back to win a SB mvp was 20 years ago

in the last 10 years how many champs had a stud rb, off the top of my head going to guess M Lynch, all I can think of

or whoever has L Blount

8 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

You lost me after that. ?

That being said, I'm all aboard the Bell train! As long as it doesn't cost a high pick, the Jets should be all in.

If the Jets don't want to give up draft picks they will have to wait until the off season, or until Pitts. cuts him, which could happen.

Why offer a 4th round pick, then have Bell say "I'm not playing under the tag"  see ya week 10 so I can sit on the bench and refuse to play.  Yeah that would be very stupid, and probably what would happen if the Jets trade for him.

Only way in the world I remotely consider giving up anything for him is if it's a 2020 pick that is contingent on his resigning with the Jets. Otherwise just wait  

I see people posting like bell is going to cost us a fortune in draft picks and I just don't see it. The guy will not play for the Steelers this year and will be an expensive fa next year. He will be acquired for something along the lines of a conditional fifth is my guess and I will take it 1 further and say he will not be traded to us, my reasoning is that it is known he grew up as a jets fan and the Steelers are not happy with him. I think they ship him somewhere they don't think he will be happy

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

59 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

It’s definitely not a running league

you need Oline and receivers, and interchangeable YOUNG backs

last back to win a SB mvp was 20 years ago

in the last 10 years how many champs had a stud rb, off the top of my head going to guess M Lynch, all I can think of

or whoever has L Blount

I get the "RB by Committee" approach and the need for young backs, but I keep reading these posts like Bell is Jim Brown trying to make a comeback.  The kid was born in '92.  I can understand being worried about a 4 year deal and giving him a ton of money, but he has a decent amount of time left.

51 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If the Jets don't want to give up draft picks they will have to wait until the off season, or until Pitts. cuts him, which could happen.

Why offer a 4th round pick, then have Bell say "I'm not playing under the tag"  see ya week 10 so I can sit on the bench and refuse to play.  Yeah that would be very stupid, and probably what would happen if the Jets trade for him.

Only way in the world I remotely consider giving up anything for him is if it's a 2020 pick that is contingent on his resigning with the Jets. Otherwise just wait  

He is not going to refuse to play.  If he doesn't sign the tender, or refuses to play, he will not get credit for the season.  He is vested, so I don't think he needs credit to become an UFA, but it may have some bearing on his status going forward. 

More importantly, he is doing all of this to maximize his earning potential.  No team is going to pay him if he refuses to play.  His purpose in not reporting is that the Steelers plan was to tag him and ride the ever loving sh*t out of him to the tune of the 400-500 touches that he had in 2017.  He knows that a heavy workload will reduce his value, so he is keeping his touches down by reporting at the last moment. 

He isn't under contract, he didn't sight the tag and IMO he isn't doing anything wrong.  He is going to sign on week 10 and play his ass off those last few weeks to get paid.  The tag is just another tool of the man put in place to keep us down. 

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get the "RB by Committee" approach and the need for young backs, but I keep reading these posts like Bell is Jim Brown trying to make a comeback.  The kid was born in '92.  I can understand being worried about a 4 year deal and giving him a ton of money, but he has a decent amount of time left.

He is not going to refuse to play.  If he doesn't sign the tender, or refuses to play, he will not get credit for the season.  He is vested, so I don't think he needs credit to become an UFA, but it may have some bearing on his status going forward. 

More importantly, he is doing all of this to maximize his earning potential.  No team is going to pay him if he refuses to play.  His purpose in not reporting is that the Steelers plan was to tag him and ride the ever loving sh*t out of him to the tune of the 400-500 touches that he had in 2017.  He knows that a heavy workload will reduce his value, so he is keeping his touches down by reporting at the last moment. 

He isn't under contract, he didn't sight the tag and IMO he isn't doing anything wrong.  He is going to sign on week 10 and play his ass off those last few weeks to get paid.  The tag is just another tool of the man put in place to keep us down. 

All  he's got to do is show up and say his ham string hurt, and that's that.   He would have to be an idiot to hold out 10 weeks, show up, not in football shape, try to play .  He's not playing this year.

On 9/25/2018 at 2:36 AM, j4jets said:

Revis (mega bust)

Cromartie (bust)

Gilchrist (bust)

Buster Skrine (bust)

Carpenter (solid for 2 years)

Fitz (meh-rental)

Marshall (one year rental)

So mostly bust, or short term success. 

Major acquisitions: RB Matt Forte, RB Khiry Robinson, OT Ryan Clady, DE/DT Jarvis Jenkins, NT Steve McLendon

McClendon was the only good pickup. 

QB Josh McCown, OT Kelvin Beachum, DT Mike Pennel, ILB Demario Davis, CB Morris Claiborne, K Chandler Catanzaro. 

Short term rentals or average at best guys. 

QB Teddy Bridgewater, RB Isaiah Crowell, RB Thomas Rawls, WR Charles Johnson, OT Antonio Garcia, C Travis Swanson, C Spencer Long, DE/DT Henry Anderson, DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw, ILB Avery Williamson, CB Trumaine Johnson, K Cairo Santos

Some good signings there, yes. But you expect that when you have the second or third most cap space in the league. TB was the best pickup imo. 

Special mention: Mo Wilkerson. 

So tell me, where are the homerun hits? Just because you picked up couple of average players doesn’t mean you had a great offseason. 

Macc = Failure year in year. 

What else would you like to add, Mr. Macc?

I stopped reading at Marshall being a one year rental. That was one of Macc best trades. He traded a 5th for a 7th and a record breaking WR. 

The Jets are so devoid of talent on offense. If you can get leveon bell, you pull the freaking trigger. He would be a huge asset for Darnold.

Your all crazy if you don't want leveon Bell on this team. He would easily be the best playmaker we have ever had. Seriously. Id trade 2 3rd rounders right now and Steelers would definitely bite. He is a special talent and definitely has plenty of miles left in the tank. 

PS excluding this year's draft (Sheppard) our last 3 3rd round picks were Ardarius Stewart, Jordan Jenkins, and Lorenzo mauldin. Yeah, id easily trade 2 3rd round picks for bell.

40 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The Jets are so devoid of talent on offense. If you can get leveon bell, you pull the freaking trigger. He would be a huge asset for Darnold.

Your all crazy if you don't want leveon Bell on this team. He would easily be the best playmaker we have ever had. Seriously. Id trade 2 3rd rounders right now and Steelers would definitely bite. He is a special talent and definitely has plenty of miles left in the tank. 

PS excluding this year's draft (Sheppard) our last 3 3rd round picks were Ardarius Stewart, Jordan Jenkins, and Lorenzo mauldin. Yeah, id easily trade 2 3rd round picks for bell.

I don't disagree. But I do think expectations would have to be tempered. Steelers are basically the best situation for an RB in the league. There would be a pretty significant drop off in production.

29 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don't disagree. But I do think expectations would have to be tempered. Steelers are basically the best situation for an RB in the league. There would be a pretty significant drop off in production.

A drop off from his typical numbers, yeah I'd agree with that. Clearly our offense is not nearly as talented as the Steelers. 

But I wouldn't say his numbers would take a significant drop. Even with our mediocre offensive line I see no reason why bell couldn't get 1500 all purpose yards this season. But it's not really about this season. It's about getting Darnold some weapons, helping his development and building an offense around the 2.

In the off-season you sign him to the same contract Gurley just signed. That still leaves you with 70+ million in cap to build an offensive line and sign some good wrs. 

17 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

A drop off from his typical numbers, yeah I'd agree with that. Clearly our offense is not nearly as talented as the Steelers. 

But I wouldn't say his numbers would take a significant drop. Even with our mediocre offensive line I see no reason why bell couldn't get 1500 all purpose yards this season. But it's not really about this season. It's about getting Darnold some weapons, helping his development and building an offense around the 2.

In the off-season you sign him to the same contract Gurley just signed. That still leaves you with 70+ million in cap to build an offensive line and sign some good wrs. 

Yeah and he'd probably also see a bigger percentage of his all purpose yards come via the air versus the ground. Just a hunch.

12 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I stopped reading at Marshall being a one year rental. That was one of Macc best trades. He traded a 5th for a 7th and a record breaking WR. 

Doesn’t change the fact he was a short term rental. 

This franchise can use an All-Pro player like Bell. His contract would be guarenteed in his prime years of 27-29. This would be a good move as he's indeed a game changer. A thing our offense has been missing for a long time. Marshall step in one season and perform but when you look at the past 8 years we've been so subpar from the rest of the league that we've hype some of our guys up. From Holmes, to Harvin and even Edwards. I wouldn't mind paying the best back in the league especially if he's accessible. 

Our other major needs that people are screaming for won't be solved through FA. You don't find LT or pass rushers in FA and if you do you're overpaying bigtime. Look at the Giants as an good example. With that being the case those positions will once again be a major weakness and we'll have to fill in elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

This franchise can use an All-Pro player like Bell. His contract would be guarenteed in his prime years of 27-29. This would be a good move as he's indeed a game changer. A thing our offense has been missing for a long time. Marshall step in one season and perform but when you look at the past 8 years we've been so subpar from the rest of the league that we've hype some of our guys up. From Holmes, to Harvin and even Edwards. I wouldn't mind paying the best back in the league especially if he's accessible. 

Our other major needs that people are screaming for won't be solved through FA. You don't find LT or pass rushers in FA and if you do you're overpaying bigtime. Look at the Giants as an good example. With that being the case those positions will once again be a major weakness and we'll have to fill in elsewhere. 

27-29 is old for a rb especially one with as much mileage as Bell.  Is he an upgrade over Powell?  Yes but he’s not going to win us games by himself like you guys make it out to be

Beachum is fine at LT.  You can get good guards and RTs in FA.  Pass rusher there is no way to get unless you get one in the draft or trade for a Khalil Mack

45 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t always agree with Fatcessa but he was on the money saying Bell would be a cancer here

The guy has no history of being a locker room cancer . And because he holds out to get paid (which every player does) he is now considered a cancer ?

Just say you don’t want the guy but no need to spread stuff like this .  Brandon Marshall was more of cancer than bell ever will be . And many people had to no problem welcoming Marshall with open arms .

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

The guy has no history of being a locker room cancer . And because he holds out to get paid (which every player does) he is now considered a cancer ?

Bell has a rep as a bad guy in the nfl and it’s not like he hasn’t been suspended already 

This fan base killed Revis for holding out for money.  Now Bell is Mother Theresa for holding out for money and he isn’t even as good as valuable as Revis was 

Archived