Mehta: Jets Reach out to Steelers Regarding Le’Veon Bell

JetNation

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2018 at 12:21 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

Nobody claimed he's hitting a wall THIS season.

My claims:

1) Paying massive money to a running back is idiotic and the opposite of what smart teams do.

2) Running back is easily, by far, the NFL position most easy to fill cheaply. Every year some 3rd or 4th round pick comes into the league and becomes a star. It's incredibly replaceable -- I don't even like the money we're paying Crowell.

3) We're already down a 2nd round pick because of the Darnold trade. Giving up more assets is a bad idea.

4) Leveon Bell is in the perfect situation in Pittsburgh. He has a great offensive line, some of the best receivers in the league and a Hall of Famer at QB. On the Jets he would have none of that and would not be the same player. It's hard to be a "patient" runner when you're getting stuffed three yards in the backfield.

5) The comments his offensive lineman made about him this year tell you all you need to know about how he's perceived in that locker room. We spent an entire year purging bad actors and selfish guys -- trading assets to make one the highest paid guy on the roster would be a mistake.

I dont even disagree with some of this but I'm going to play devil's advocate because I would love a talent like Bell and have zero faith in the Jets to ever find such a talent via the draft. 

1) Todd Gurley is getting paid and the Rams are the best team in Football.  Bell, while never getting a contract has signed the Franchise tender, how many times?  That hits your cap at around 14 mill a year.  Devonte Freeman is another example, hasnt slowed the Falcons down.  

2) Agreed.  However, RB's like Bell, do not come easy.  

3) Is it?  Who's the best skills position player the Jets have drafted in recent memory?

4) Agreed but I dont think this is a valid reason to not add talent.  It's like the old "why take this WR, who's going to throw to him" argument.  I dont think you can build a roster worrying about if this unit is up to par to support this player.  You add talent, period.  Then figure out the rest. 

5) The lockerroom stuff doesnt bother me.  Your last comment is the scary part but not when you're GM cant draft to save his life. 

On 9/27/2018 at 2:02 PM, The Crusher said:

In a perfect world sure, but we ain’t winning consistently with this O line period. 

23 hours ago, The Crusher said:

That’s good. But until we can pass block for Sam we need to use our resources for that. Real good stat though, better than I would have imagined.

MT - I get this mentality.  I really do but what does that mean in the big picture?  You dont add talent when you can because the OL stinks?  I think that's a really stupid way of building a roster.  Why even draft Sam in that case?   Just because you dont have A. doesnt mean you cant use or need B.  

And it's not about this year.  It's about the future.  You're not going to trade for Bell if a contract extension isnt in the works.  So you're working under the assumption that he's going to be here for a while and you can build everything else at the same time. 

It's like turning down a Ferrari because you dont have a garage but you have a carport and a cover.  

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont even disagree with some of this but I'm going to play devil's advocate because I would love a talent like Bell and have zero faith in the Jets to ever find such a talent via the draft. 

1) Todd Gurley is getting paid and the Rams are the best team in Football.  Bell, while never getting a contract has signed the Franchise tender, how many times?  That hits your cap at around 14 mill a year.  Devonte Freeman is another example, hasnt slowed the Falcons down.  

Gurley is the exception rather than the rule though, isn't he? Teams like the Cowboys with Zeke or the Giants with Barkley are 1-2 with bad passing games. Guys like Fournette, Ingram, and Freeman have been out injured or suspended and it's been barley noticeable. And heck, the Steelers themselves look fine on offense with James Conner. I just don't think big money on RBs ever really works out.

Sure, you wouldn't expect to land a Bell. But if Mac wasn't so bad at his job you'd think you'd be able to land a Kareem Hunt at least.

3) Is it?  Who's the best skills position player the Jets have drafted in recent memory?

Probably Enunwa... But, in my imagined world someone other than Mike Maccagnan or John Idzik is making the Jets draft picks in 2019.

4) Agreed but I dont think this is a valid reason to not add talent.  It's like the old "why take this WR, who's going to throw to him" argument.  I dont think you can build a roster worrying about if this unit is up to par to support this player.  You add talent, period.  Then figure out the rest. 

I just think if you're going to add a stud RB it should be a finishing touch rather than a foundational piece. We really need to rebuild the line more than anything on offense, IMO. I think guys like Crowell and Powell would look better than people realize with a strong front five.

5) The lockerroom stuff doesnt bother me.  Your last comment is the scary part but not when you're GM cant draft to save his life. 

The locker room stuff is more icing on the cake. If I thought we were closer I might say "screw it, let's go all in" like the Rams have. But this team has serious underlying problems on the offensive side of the ball that no RB can fix.

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Gurley is the exception rather than the rule though, isn't he? Teams like the Cowboys with Zeke or the Giants with Barkley are 1-2 with bad passing games. Guys like Fournette, Ingram, and Freeman have been out injured or suspended and it's been barley noticeable. And heck, the Steelers themselves look fine on offense with James Conner. I just don't think big money on RBs ever really works out.

Sure, you wouldn't expect to land a Bell. But if Mac wasn't so bad at his job you'd think you'd be able to land a Kareem Hunt at least.

Probably Enunwa... But, in my imagined world someone other than Mike Maccagnan or John Idzik is making the Jets draft picks in 2019.

I just think if you're going to add a stud RB it should be a finishing touch rather than a foundational piece. We really need to rebuild the line more than anything on offense, IMO. I think guys like Crowell and Powell would look better than people realize with a strong front five.

The locker room stuff is more icing on the cake. If I thought we were closer I might say "screw it, let's go all in" like the Rams have. But this team has serious underlying problems on the offensive side of the ball that no RB can fix.

If the Rams were acting like Jets fan in this thread, they would have never drafted Gurley to begin with because when they took him, their OL was terrible, they had no receivers and Nick Foles/Case Keenum at QB.   And James Connor is not filling anywhere near the level of production as Bell.  Homey had 17 yards on the ground in week 2.  Why people are acting like this is a thing is weird.  He had a monster opening day and has come back to earth.  Their offense is still good because they have the best WR in the game, a HOF'er, a stud OL and other weapons too.  To act like they wouldnt be even better with Bell is just silly talk. 

I think we're losing site of the fact that we're talking about the most productive and versatile offensive weapon in the NFL over the past 4 years.  He will absolutely 100% help fix the offense.  I honestly dont understand how anyone could argue differently.  I mean honestly, if Bell who is the most productive and versatile RB in the entire NFL cant help fix the offense, what player can?  Some kid out of college you're going to roll the dice on?  Bell is not just your average RB.  He's the most dynamic skills player in the league.  If the Jets cant use that, than why even bother?  lol

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

If the Rams were acting like Jets fan in this thread, they would have never drafted Gurley to begin with because when they took him, their OL was terrible, they had no receivers and Nick Foles/Case Keenum at QB.   And James Connor is not filling anywhere near the level of production as Bell.  Homey had 17 yards on the ground in week 2.  Why people are acting like this is a thing is weird.  He had a monster opening day and has come back to earth.  Their offense is still good because they have the best WR in the game, a HOF'er, a stud OL and other weapons too.  To act like they wouldnt be even better with Bell is just silly talk. 

I think we're losing site of the fact that we're talking about the most productive and versatile offensive weapon in the NFL over the past 4 years.  He will absolutely 100% help fix the offense.  I honestly dont understand how anyone could argue differently.  I mean honestly, if Bell who is the most productive and versatile RB in the entire NFL cant help fix the offense, what player can?  Some kid out of college you're going to roll the dice on?  Bell is not just your average RB.  He's the most dynamic skills player in the league.  If the Jets cant use that, than why even bother?  lol

The interesting dynamic for me is if Mac values the RB position enough to give Bell the kind of money he is looking for.  NOTHING that I have seen from him suggests he does.  From the “value vet” FA signings he has made to passing on some VERY good RB prospects in the early rounds of the draft, it just doesn’t look like Mac sees that position as one where significant resources should be spent.  

What a dilemma, no?  What to do, what to do.  I've always believed that where the offensive line goes, so does the offense......but I've also noticed that some teams with good/great offensive lines and a pretty good QB, like Dallas, aren't any better of a team.  

Imagine having even one or two of the cowgirls olineman?

52 minutes ago, JiF said:

Enough said. The bold above.... case closed. 

A second round pick and a solid player for a 12 week rental. 

I like Le’Veon Bell and I would like for him to be a JET. But the Steelers are off their meds here. The situation should prohibit any team for trading for him especially at that price. A 3rd round pick you only would be my max offer. 

In saying that I expect to see the “JETS RINGING THE BELL” or some cheesey headline in the next week. 

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Doesn't change the fact that it was a phenomenal trade.

A guy that essentially held the FO hostage along with Decker and Mangold? Do you think it was a pure coincidence that all three of them were let go same off season?

They want at least a 2nd round pick and a good player for a high pricetagged rental rb that is guaranteed to not be on their roster next year and will try to make demands for a 100 million dollar 5 year contract, also his backup has looked pretty sharp in his place leaving an argument on the table for how successful bell will be on another roster. I have to say the Steelers chose a ballsey starting point on him.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

A second round pick and a solid player for a 12 week rental. 
I like Le’Veon Bell and I would like for him to be a JET. But the Steelers are off their meds here. The situation should prohibit any team for trading for him especially at that price. A 3rd round pick you only would be my max offer. 
In saying that I expect to see the “JETS RINGING THE BELL” or some cheesey headline in the next week. 
He isn't worth a 3rd round pick. We are not contending and he is a free agent next year pay a 7th maybe just so you get a year or exclusive rights to try to resign him long term anything outside of that is a major pass in my books

On 9/28/2018 at 3:08 PM, JiF said:

I don't think anyone is making this argument. More that they're wondering if he's worth what it takes to get and keep him. Especially after 5 years of wear & tear, plus a 6th season where he's not going to contribute a full season even without a game 9-16 injury.

Drafting Gurley isn't the same as using a high pick and more to "draft" a RB who'll be a few months shy of his 27th birthday by his first Jets carry, who's had some significant injury history in both severity and in missed games (particularly as seasons wore on), and that was when he was younger, was a full offseason participant, and was playing for a big future payday.

Honestly I'm on the fence. Maybe a game against Jacksonville's defense, particularly if it's 3 hours of Crowell going down on first contact and/or missing a hole that opened up a half-second later because he rammed himself into the first one without sensing anything other option, will sway me a little more, lol.

With Darnold now in the mix - and especially after his slow start - hopefully it shows the FO/coaches what should have been obvious: that you can't just draft a QB high and then you're done, with the rest of the offense getting needed items from the clearance rack in terms of picks and FAs. I'm happy to spoil the offense around him for a while, and get less than optimal value if it means he has an easier path to turning into a top-5 QB. Even if half the D sucks, we can rebuild it later on, over a span of 1-2 seasons. BFD; Darnold should be here for 15+ years so I'm more concerned with getting him off to a big start than trying to get the defense giving up closer to 19 ppg instead of 23 ppg over his first 2-3 seasons.

Bell is a good player but you don't pay a second round pick and a good player for a rental even if they are a game changer when you are not expecting to be in the Superbowl that is just moronic.

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Rapaport report:  "the Steelers want a 2nd rounder and more..."

No thanks.  I would rather the Jets overpay in fraud agency than that.

This.

Despite Macc batting about .250 in the Draft I want to keep picks.  Let's throw some money at Bell in FA and see if we can finally put at least one true playmaker on offense.

Le'Veon Bell potentially risking 2019 salary with absence as Steelers wait on trade offers

The Pittsburgh Steelers are open to offers for star running back Le'Veon Bell, but no trade talks have advanced to a serious stage at this time, league sources tell ESPN.

Some teams have inquired with Pittsburgh, while others are mulling whether to make a move, but none has been aggressive so far, according to sources.

Meanwhile, Bell's continued absence from Pittsburgh has raised questions about what his future salary could and would be if the Steelers, or any team that traded for him, used the transition tag on him this offseason.

If any team used the transition tag on Bell next season, the tag number would be 120 percent of this season's salary.

But the longer Bell stays away, the more his salary for this season drops, which could dramatically affect what he earns in 2019. If Bell were to report to the Steelers next week, the most cash he could make this year would be $11.12 million; and 120 percent of that number under the transition tag would be $13.346 million -- lower than the $14.534 he was scheduled to earn under the franchise tag this season.

With each additional week Bell misses, his 2019 salary potentially drops even lower. If Bell reports to the Steelers midway through this season, his transition tag salary for next season could be as low as $9.24 million.

Bell and his agent could argue they are entitled to more, and appeal it to an arbitrator, who could potentially rule in their favor. Bell has refused to sign his franchise tender of $14.5 million and already has forfeited $2.6 million by missing Pittsburgh's first three games.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24844573/leveon-bell-potentially-risking-2019-salary-absence-pittsburgh-steelers-wait-trade-offers

On 9/28/2018 at 1:26 PM, JiF said:

Gurley is making money they won't have when its time to pay Goff. Thats why they're going all in right now. If the Jets had been smart and built an O line and receiver corps before drafting a QB, then going for Bell and then paying him $15m per/ 3-4 year deal would be a decent move. But we need all of our picks to build a foundation around Darnold, something Id been advocating for (regardless of who the QB wound up being) for 2+ years. 

But we drafted safeties back to back....and reached for nobodies at WR trying to look smart....

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think anyone is making this argument. More that they're wondering if he's worth what it takes to get and keep him. Especially after 5 years of wear & tear, plus a 6th season where he's not going to contribute a full season even without a game 9-16 injury.

Drafting Gurley isn't the same as using a high pick and more to "draft" a RB who'll be a few months shy of his 27th birthday by his first Jets carry, who's had some significant injury history in both severity and in missed games (particularly as seasons wore on), and that was when he was younger, was a full offseason participant, and was playing for a big future payday.

Honestly I'm on the fence. Maybe a game against Jacksonville's defense, particularly if it's 3 hours of Crowell going down on first contact and/or missing a hole that opened up a half-second later because he rammed himself into the first one without sensing anything other option, will sway me a little more, lol.

With Darnold now in the mix - and especially after his slow start - hopefully it shows the FO/coaches what should have been obvious: that you can't just draft a QB high and then you're done, with the rest of the offense getting needed items from the clearance rack in terms of picks and FAs. I'm happy to spoil the offense around him for a while, and get less than optimal value if it means he has an easier path to turning into a top-5 QB. Even if half the D sucks, we can rebuild it later on, over a span of 1-2 seasons. BFD; Darnold should be here for 15+ years so I'm more concerned with getting him off to a big start than trying to get the defense giving up closer to 19 ppg instead of 23 ppg over his first 2-3 seasons.

People are making that argument in addition to others and they all make sense except he won’t help you win games. 

I’m really just playing devils advocate.  I would never even consider something this but if Mac is around for a while, I would because he can’t draft for sh*t. 

27 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Bell is a good player but you don't pay a second round pick and a good player for a rental even if they are a game changer when you are not expecting to be in the Superbowl that is just moronic.

It wouldn’t be a rental.  You’re not doing this without a contract extension.  It’s the whole reasons he’s holding out. 

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

A guy that essentially held the FO hostage along with Decker and Mangold? Do you think it was a pure coincidence that all three of them were let go same off season?

Trading a 5th round pick for a 7th round pick and the all-time single season receiving leader and all-time single season TD leader in Jets history is a phenomenal trade. 

No freaking point, unless they want to take Crowell off the jets hands and a conditional 5th rounder. There's no point for this TERRIBLE team giving anything of value for such a player. And as Sperm documents above,really giving any back this kind of money is always a disaster in the out years. 

Archived