Speaking of classless...

JustInFudge

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Completely am.  Buying a ticket to a game does not give you the right to throw anything at players.  Anything.  Remember a few years back when fans were throwing bottles and batteries at outfields and pitchers in the bullpens?   Either you nip it in the bud, or you invite people to see how close they can get to the 'line'.  I'd rather not have a line.  Fan-on-Player, Fan-on-Fan, Player-on-Fan violence should be shut down hard and with extreme prejudice IMO.  

Throwing bottles or batteries can very seriously injure someone.  Spraying a player who ran over to taunt you with some beer is inappropriate but not dangerous (unless there's something I missed about that video).  

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Throwing bottles or batteries can very seriously injure someone.  Spraying a player who ran over to taunt you with some beer is inappropriate but not dangerous (unless there's something I missed about that video).  

See you are drawing a line.  Batteries bad...beer good.  Line somewhere in between.  I think that's a really bad precedent.

4 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

BFD a cup of beer. What about the Yankee fan who threw a full beer can at Kimbrel  at Yankee stadium.

To me, that's an assault charge.  I don't know what happened to the fan but the rules of law do not change just because you are in a stadium.  I want to be able to bring my kids to games without worrying about them getting beer thrown at them or worse because a drunk fan was aiming at someone else and missed.  I'm amazed that so many here are arguing that it's okay to throw beer at players.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/15/tyreek-hill-beer-throwing-fan-chiefs-receiver-gillette-stadium

The banned fan may be disappointed to know that he will never again see Tom Brady throw a pass at Gillette—at least not in person—but a far more life-altering consequence of his reckless behavior is that he has been charged with two crimes: (1) disorderly conduct and (2) throwing or dropping objects at sporting events.

Under Massachusetts law, disorderly conduct refers to intentionally engaging in disruptive behavior that alarms and provokes others. Intentionally and unreasonably hurling objects in a populated area and doing so in a way that annoyed and disturbed at least one person would count as a form of disorderly conduct that “disturbs the peace.” All of those factors were apparent with the Gillette beer-hurler.  As to throwing objects at a sporting event, it refers to anyone who willfully throws any object at a sporting event with the intent to injure another person. Assuming the right person has been charged, it seems likely the fan is culpable under the law.

It’s unlikely this fan will go to jail or even go to trial. A first charge for disorderly conduct normally carries a penalty of a $150 fine. While throwing objects at a sporting event carries up to a $500 fine and incarceration in jail of up to a year, it’s far more likely that the fan reaches a plea deal with prosecutors where he does not go to jail. Instead he’ll likely pay a fine and perhaps suffers some accompanying penalty, such as required community service or probation.

The more lasting effect of these charges will be that the fan has a criminal record. Such a record could lead to more severe penalties should he get in trouble with the law again. Also, if he ever has a child custody dispute, his record could adversely affect his access to children.

A criminal record will also impactful in other aspects of his life. If this fan is employed, his employer might consider terminating his employment due to the embarrassment of the employee’s conduct at Gillette. Or, if this fan—who is 21 years old—is still in school, his university might review whether its own code of conduct is implicated.

Give me a break.... a little beer to face never hurt anyone. Especially someone wearing a helmet and covered in sweat. Don’t go trolling the opposing fans end zone if you don’t want a little beer thrown on you. What a pussy Hill is for making any A big deal out of this.

35 minutes ago, nycdan said:

See you are drawing a line.  Batteries bad...beer good.  Line somewhere in between.  I think that's a really bad precedent.

My line is basically just common sense though.  Throwing batteries or a beer bottle is very dangerous.  Spraying the guy with some beer doesn't seem that big of a deal (though, again, I don't condone what the fan did).

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Give me a break.... a little beer to face never hurt anyone. Especially someone wearing a helmet and covered in sweat. Don’t go trolling the opposing fans end zone if you don’t want a little beer thrown on you. What a pussy Hill is for making any A big deal out of this.

Switch the parameters a bit.  Say you have a son who plays JV football and he scores a big TD and celebrates.  Then a dad from the opposing team runs up to the sideline and throws a beer on him.  It's cool, right?  Just beer.   Or maybe it's your 14-year old daughter playing soccer or lacrosse. 

Does an NFL player have any less right to not have beer thrown on him than a high school player?  Why are we defending the fan who did this? 

Yeah, Hill is a turd.  But next week it could be any other player.  That fan probably wasn't thinking "yeah, it's okay because of Hill's behavior in college but if it was Kelce I'd throw up a high five".  No, he was a dick who doesn't know how to properly express his frustration because the meanies scored a game-tying TD on his beloved cheaters.  We need less of that in all areas of life, not more.    

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My line is basically just common sense though.  Throwing batteries or a beer bottle is very dangerous.  Spraying the guy with some beer doesn't seem that big of a deal (though, again, I don't condone what the fan did).

How about throwing chicken fingers.  Or French fries covered in mustard.  What if he peed in a cup and threw that?  Does anyone really want to start figuring out what's okay and what's not when it comes to throwing things at players and fans? 

I know I seem a little worked up over this, but I've seen some unthinkably bad behavior by parents at volleyball matches and little league games.  The kind that starts fights and ends up with police being called.  And in some cases, the parents were known as problems already but hadn't 'crossed the line' until they did and by then, it was really, really bad.

If a player did that to a fan, you be assured a multi million dollar lawsuit would’ve already been in motion where the fan would have been going through a mental breakdown and stress and depression levels sky high. Why not the same if it’s the other way around? 

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

How about throwing chicken fingers.  Or French fries covered in mustard.  What if he peed in a cup and threw that?  Does anyone really want to start figuring out what's okay and what's not when it comes to throwing things at players and fans? 

I know I seem a little worked up over this, but I've seen some unthinkably bad behavior by parents at volleyball matches and little league games.  The kind that starts fights and ends up with police being called.  And in some cases, the parents were known as problems already but hadn't 'crossed the line' until they did and by then, it was really, really bad.

Chicken fingers and FF in mustard don't feel like assault (unless some real damage occurred - e.g. it injured the player's eye).  Throwing pee, however, is absolutely an assault.  I think common sense can be used.

Bad behavior from parents at kid sporting events is horrible though.

Did Hill taunt the fan?  Because if not, I don't see the problem with this action.  A beer seems harmless enough but what if it's hot coffee, or a something harder than a paper cup?  What if a fan threw something at Anderson and he had to come off the field during actual game time to clean up?  Patriots did all they could, but I don't know that drunk fans will see that as enough of a deterrent.  
A permanent ban from your favorite teams stadium is not a big enough deterrent?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Players need to stay the hell away from fans as well unless it is your home teams fans.

Why? They’re athletes, entertainers.  Hill was not egging them on. Their reactions were unacceptable. These same fans are all over other teams players looking for autographs pre/post game. It just takes a few morons to ruin the whole game experience for everyone. It’s like going to a game as a Jets fan in another stadium. What do you have to do, carry an uzi to protect yourself? 

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

A permanent ban from your favorite teams stadium is not a big enough deterrent?

Sure.  And the chances that they can effectively enforce it?  Gillette seats around 67k fans.  Maybe if they have facial recognition running at all the entry points and he doesn't rig up enough of a way to beat it.  I don't know but I wonder just how hard it would be for him to get back in and be laughing at the whole thing next week.

Sure.  And the chances that they can effectively enforce it?  Gillette seats around 67k fans.  Maybe if they have facial recognition running at all the entry points and he doesn't rig up enough of a way to beat it.  I don't know but I wonder just how hard it would be for him to get back in and be laughing at the whole thing next week.
Maybe he can sneak back in I don't think any stadium is an impenetrable fortress but either way that is a fairly substantial punishment and I think it would make folks think twice about attempting it. Preferably they wouldn't have the idea in their head to dump beer on someone who is just trying to do their jobs anyway.

6 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I assume he tried to use the excuse every teams fans do it

There are idiots who root for all teams. At Yankee Stadium a beer bottle thrown from the stands just missed a Red Sox reliever as he was leaving the bullpen during this years playoff series. Imagine if it hit him in the head. Before that series an A's player was doused with beer by another Yankee fan. I'm glad the Pats organization banned their idiot, haven't heard if the Yankees have done the same to their two.

35 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I never understood what these bans meant anyway. Every single sporting event or concert that I’ve gone to, I’ve either bought someone else’s ticket on ticketmaster or stubhub or person to person and been reimbursed via cash/Venmo, or someone else has bought mine and I’ve reimbursed them via cash/Venmo.

Either way, names haven’t been necessary to buy tickets since at least before 2008. How exactly are they stopping people from going to events? Is there a list of every single person that’s banned, and every security guard has to know the name and face of each individual prior to each event? Do they get quizzed? Are there cameras with facial recognition software that alert the guards? Is it the same kind of equipment we used to see Jack Bauer play around with in 24?

So many questions.

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

You are some piece of work. Imagine if a Pats fan doused your man crush with a beer after he threw a TD pass. You'd start another 40 threads wanting the guy to be deported.

Archived