Speaking of classless...

JustInFudge

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's unbelievable.  Like I said, I dont get surprised by much but I really didnt see this thread going this direction.  We literally saw a brawl happen on an NBA court because of something like this but people are condoning it?  Could you imagine this becoming a thing?  All around sports, fans are just throwing beer on players because hey man, it's fun!  It's just liquid!  No big deal! 

I used to date a woman who worked as an ADA in Brooklyn.  Some of the stories she used to tell were mindboggling but one stuck with me.  A guy was on trial for killing another prisoner while he was serving his first stint in prison.  Apparently there was a fight over some perceived insult and this guy managed to have a weapon capable of killing the other guy before guards could intervene.  Old story perhaps. 

But then when he was found guilty (no shock) the judge tacked something like 25 years onto his sentence.  He then immediately stood up and started screaming at the judge: "25 years?!  Your honor, are you kidding me?!  It's my first f-ing murder!"

He was completely serious.  

When you start minimizing the importance of small things, it naturally carries over into the same effect on the big things for some people.  I'm not suggesting we impose insane punishment on drunken idiots who ultimately didn't cause any permanent harm by throwing a beer, but when you make it 'no big deal', all you do is push the line of what is okay further out and the more you move the line, the more some people will continue to push the boundaries.  Kids will see this on TV and if there is no apparent repercussions, some will think 'hey it's no big deal' and after a while 'Heck, since it's okay and looks like fun, I think I'll try it next time'.  And that mindset doesn't magically change when they turn 18.   All well and good until he throws a beer on the next Ron Artest and ends up in the ER.  Either you see the straight line from point A to point B here or you don't and if not, then, sadly, I suspect no amount of debate is going to change anything.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I used to date a woman who worked as an ADA in Brooklyn.  Some of the stories she used to tell were mindboggling but one stuck with me.  A guy was on trial for killing another prisoner while he was serving his first stint in prison.  Apparently there was a fight over some perceived insult and this guy managed to have a weapon capable of killing the other guy before guards could intervene.  Old story perhaps. 

But then when he was found guilty (no shock) the judge tacked something like 25 years onto his sentence.  He then immediately stood up and started screaming at the judge: "25 years?!  Your honor, are you kidding me?!  It's my first f-ing murder!"

He was completely serious.  

When you start minimizing the importance of small things, it naturally carries over into the same effect on the big things for some people.  I'm not suggesting we impose insane punishment on drunken idiots who ultimately didn't cause any permanent harm by throwing a beer, but when you make it 'no big deal', all you do is push the line of what is okay further out and the more you move the line, the more some people will continue to push the boundaries.  Kids will see this on TV and if there is no apparent repercussions, some will think 'hey it's no big deal' and after a while 'Heck, since it's okay and looks like fun, I think I'll try it next time'.  And that mindset doesn't magically change when they turn 18.   All well and good until he throws a beer on the next Ron Artest and ends up in the ER.  Either you see the straight line from point A to point B here or you don't and if not, then, sadly, I suspect no amount of debate is going to change anything.

Image result for bravo gif

gif's have been weird on here lately....anywho, it's an applause, because, well said.

19 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I think they should prosecute fans who do that, they need to set an example that this behavior will not be tolerated.  Fans can boo, yell, scream all they want.  Under no circumstances should they hit or throw anything at a player, coach, ref, etc...

The guy in question has been given a lifetime ban from any and ALL activities at Kraft World.

On 10/16/2018 at 10:01 PM, JiF said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/tyreek-hill-reportedly-wants-legal-action-taken-patriots-fan-threw-beer-195600257.html

Apparently, the New England Patriots banning the fan who threw beer on Tyreek Hill wasn’t enough for the Kansas City Chiefs receiver.

Via ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Hill and his agent Drew Rosenhaus want legal action to be taken against the fan. Schefter reported that Hill and his agent are discussing their options with the league and NFLPA.

CBS Boston said the fan, a 21-year-old male from Mansfield, Massachusettes, was identified by Foxborough Police and will be charged with disorderly conduct.

Hill and Rosenhaus are focused on the larger issue of player safety.

Tyreek Hill wants fan to be prosecuted

Rosenhaus had a brief comment to Schefter about the situation.

“That type of behavior is unacceptable,” Rosenhaus told Schefter. “Players have to be protected. We want that fan to be prosecuted.”

It is something the NFL doesn’t want to see happen again. The next time something worse than a beer shower could happen, though no fan has the right to throw beer or anything else at a player. The Patriots took the correct measure of banning the fan who threw the beer from the front row. A fan also flipped the middle finger at Hill after his third touchdown. If Hill can find a legal reason to pursue prosecution, it would send a strong message to other fans about what’s not acceptable at football games.

NFL doesn’t want more bad fan behavior

It’s worth pointing out that a bad fan or two doesn’t represent all Patriots fans. But it’s not like there aren’t other stories of NFL fans acting inappropriately at games.

The Patriots said in their statement that the matter was turned over to local law enforcement, and we’ll see if Hill and Rosenhaus continue to push the matter. But, if nothing else, it’s a good moment for the NFL and the union to assess what can be done at stadiums to prevent this type of behavior, before something worse happens.

So every week players can throw actual footballs into the stands that can randomly hit anyone, without risk of being sued, but a fan throws beer and a player wants to sue them?

Ban the guy from the stadium? Sure. Trying to sue when players throw footballs and themselves into the stands proves that suing has zero basis. 

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

So every week players can throw actual footballs into the stands that can randomly hit anyone, without risk of being sued, but a fan throws beer and a player wants to sue them?

Ban the guy from the stadium? Sure. Trying to sue when players throw footballs and themselves into the stands proves that suing has zero basis. 

Those fans have the right to sue as well.  It's happened many times before.  Some dude sued the Cubs recently for a foul ball that hit him.  The lady who got hit at the Ryder Cup is suing. 

So yeah, Hill should sue that piece of stuff that comes from my butt. 

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If he threw it directly into a fans face? Me guess yes. Just like if the fan threw the beer into the air nobody would have noticed or cared. 

lmfao - this is the dumbest point I've ever heard.  You're the one willingly entering a stadium where balls are flying all around and stuff is getting shot from guns into the stands or drones are flying over you head or players are running around and you're at risk, albeit minimal.

This thread man.

What's next?  LeBron goes diving into the first row courtside for a loose ball, knocks some dude over and they get to throw food at him and poor beer on him and hey man, it's cool.  He came running into the stands.  Stand my ground and stuff man.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

What about the Yankee fan that threw a beer can from the stands at kimbrel?

Attempted murder?

Was it glass?  Because that could easily be viewed as assault with a deadly weapon, especially from certain heights.  That person should be charged as well.  

They can sue all they want, but what are the damages?  Dry cleaning bill for his uniform? Did he catch cold and want medical?  I don't think the authorities actually need him to press charges.  The assault is right there on the screen.  Same thing with those morons at the Yankees game.  I guess it is better than the 70's.  Back they they used to throw batteries.  I  hate waste, so I don't understand the mindset of paying $12.50 for Bud Lite and then throwing it at someone.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I  hate waste, so I don't understand the mindset of paying $12.50 for Bud Lite and then throwing it at someone.

Makes for a great Mastercard commercial.

Game Ticket:  $300

Loaded Hot Dog: $10

Legal Fees:  $35,000

Hitting Belichick in the face with a sloppy weiner...  priceless.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Makes for a great Mastercard commercial.

Game Ticket:  $300

Loaded Hot Dog: $10

Legal Fees:  $35,000

Hitting Belichick in the face with a sloppy weiner...  priceless.

Is "sloppy weiner" some type of homosexual jargon?  Asking for a friend....

On 10/16/2018 at 8:38 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

Have people forgot Hill is a walking piece of garbage?  I wish he would have thrown scalding hot water in his face.  

Silly argument.  We're talking about how to prevent this stuff from escalating and getting worse for players and fans.  Not about the specific player involved. 

On 10/16/2018 at 9:57 PM, bealeb319 said:

A permanent ban from your favorite teams stadium is not a big enough deterrent?

It's hard to see how they'll enforce that.  Even if the guy was a season ticket holder, he could simply buy single game tickets (under a psuedonym if need be) and get in that way.  No one is going to be able to pick out his face from a crowd of 60,000.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:26 PM, TheGreenGhost said:

Different rules at a sporting event.  When you go, you assume the risk of getting hit by a ball, bat, etc.  It is not out of the ordinary to have a ball go into the stands at a game (unless he fired it at someone with the intent of hitting them).  Now if he picked up a chair and threw it into the crowd, that's a different story.

Well in that case it would just be the WWE. 

On 10/17/2018 at 6:09 AM, Irish Jet said:

It's disgraceful that the fan is receiving any punishment at all. What does that idiot expect running into the crowd away from home.

If anyone pulled that sh*t in soccer they'd probably get stabbed. Suing over beer lol. Go dry off you f*cking loser. 

On 10/17/2018 at 7:34 AM, BurnleyJet said:

Nailed it, what about provocation.

At events with passions running high. It's a bit of beer, millionaire wide receiver diva has hissy fit. Wants to sue 21 year old, get outta town. 

On 10/17/2018 at 7:41 AM, rangerous said:

true enough.  some players just want to antagonize the other team's fans.  look what crowell did in the brown's game.  or how many times do we see players "posing" after they've scored a td or made a big play.  i kind of liked gastineau's sack dance and the players should be allowed to celebrate good plays but they shouldn't go out of their way either.  it looked like hill was getting way too close to the patsie end zone.  no excuse for the fan being stupid but there was also no reason for him to get so close to the monkeys. 

Has anyone here actually watched the full clip?  Tyreke Hill runs a 4.3 40.  He was streaking down the field trying to outrun the Patriot players.  He slowed down as he was reaching the barrier, but was still going way too fast to avoid coming close to them.  He didn't intentionally do this, nor is there any evidence he taunted the fan. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Those fans have the right to sue as well.  It's happened many times before.  Some dude sued the Cubs recently for a foul ball that hit him.  The lady who got hit at the Ryder Cup is suing. 

So yeah, Hill should sue that piece of stuff that comes from my butt. 

Having the right to have your case heard in the court of law isnt really at question here. With that said, plenty of things are presented in front of a court. The fact that something can be presented doesnt mean that it isnt excessive or even ridiculous.

Generally I tend to side with players given how stupid and disrespectful fans can be, but I feel like in this case the punishment fit the crime if you will. Hill has every right to attempt to sue if he feels like it's necessary though, no argument there. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's hard to see how they'll enforce that.  Even if the guy was a season ticket holder, he could simply buy single game tickets (under a psuedonym if need be) and get in that way.  No one is going to be able to pick out his face from a crowd of 60,000.

Exactly. It's hard to ban someone when everyone in the stadium looks and sounds like Micky Ward.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why is it a completely different thing?  

You don't see how throwing a ball into the stands after a score has a different intent from tossing something into the face of someone that you don't like or because you don't appreciate what they did against your team? 

On 10/17/2018 at 11:39 AM, Ex-Rex said:

The guy in question has been given a lifetime ban from any and ALL activities at Kraft World.

People can get around that.  A bigger message needs to be sent to fans who think about doing something like this.

Archived