Jets QB Darnold says he's 'just playing stupid'

Gas2No99

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

After reviewing the film: 7Seven of Spencer Long's 33 shotgun snaps were clearly off target; another two were borderline low. Result of the plays: Complete pass, sack (nullified by Miami penalty), delay of game, incomplete pass, interception, fumble/aborted play (nullified by holding) and sack. After the game, coach Todd Bowles said he replaced Long because he re-injured his snapping hand late in the game, not because of performance. On Monday, Bowles elaborated: "He was healthy. He had a great week of practice and he's our starting center. So, if he was healthy enough to play, he played. When we saw the finger start giving him more issues than normal, we replaced him with Johnotthan (Harrison). His finger got banged up again." In my opinion, he waited two series too long to make the change.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

. . . .  Good to see him owning up to it.  Now go out and prove that you're better than this.  If not?  Join the rest of the failures in this teams history.

“I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member.”

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The thing you're missing is that the NFL is the ONE AND ONLY "firm" that does what they do at, the highest level. All of the Teams are just different "divisions" in the same firm. Look at how Medical Residents get assigned. Heck, sticking with your analogy, regardless of how well they did in Law School, the rookies don't get to play Clarence Darrow in a courtroom, they get stuck doing research and preparing reports. 

Nobody is making anyone play NFL Football. But its literally the only game in town for high level Pro Football. 

Understood. But we were talking about a kid using any leverage he could in the draft, ala Elway, Eli, and their families. I saw nothing wrong with what they did, but they were unique situations, and I think most people would disagree with me for taking their side. Very few families are in that powerful a situation financially (Manning) and a two sport elite prospect (Elway).

Understood. But we were talking about a kid using any leverage he could in the draft, ala Elway, Eli, and their families. I saw nothing wrong with what they did, but they were unique situations, and I think most people would disagree with me for taking their side. Very few families are in that powerful a situation financially (Manning) and a two sport elite prospect (Elway).

The reason why its looked down upon is because when you are investing that much in a player, you kind of hope that its a player who feels he can survive and thrive in any situation. Demanding what team you want to play for kind of shows you may not handle adversity very well. Regardless of what team you go to the odds are you will face adversity at one time or another. In Elways case he handled it well. Eli I am not so sure about.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

14 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Darnold is NOT the problem.  This is getting ridiculous.  

Darnold has ZERO first line skill players out there or on the OL and what precisely did Macagan and Bowles think was going to happen with this level of talent out there?

Hold it all together like Tom Brady.  

Insane  

Good Grief!!

so you're saying Sam is lying?

15 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Darnold has ZERO first line skill players out there or on the OL and what precisely did Macagan and Bowles think was going to happen with this level of talent out there?

Insane  

Good Grief!!

And we are into a 3rd year of a rebuild. Let’s face it, Mac is not the answer, Bowles is not the answer, Bates is not the answer, Rogers is not the answer. Regime change must happen next year and not with a bunch of “so called” up and coming coaches. Spend the money and get some quality coaching and a GM to staff this cluster of a team. 

15 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Insane  

Good Grief!!

whats sad about this statement is that this has been the same situation for the past 19 years

A good portion of Darnold's mistakes are desperation moves to try and win games, but the players around him cannot compensate for his mistakes.  Darnold has been flawed, but he looks better with better players and better coaches.

The Johnsons can be working RIGHT NOW to improve the team's organization and front office.  Chris really needs to overpay a grizzled NFL veteran to be at least his consultant/sounding board-Parcells, Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren.  Someone like that.  That can happen now.

If they really think someone is going to hire Heimerdinger away as a GM, doing something with him now can also be done. 

Only when the Jets have put together a better organization that is more likely to get better players will they have any chance to both hire a coach that is an improvement over Bowles, and to actually help that coach be successful.

I think the back stories behind Terrell Pryor and Spencer Long could be enough to get both Mac and Bowles fired.  

17 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Darnold is not the problem but he is playing like crap. No need to sugarcoat it. Just like when people said that Bowles was fine. Stop. Call a spade a spade. It’s ok to do that. It’s not hard to be realistic and it’s ok for him to play like garbage as a rookie in a TERRIBLE situation.

Sure he flashes but he’s playing very poorly at points too. Eyeball test shows that it’s really the situation and  his issues are correctable. His demeanor, attitude and flashes leave plenty of reason for hope/excitement.

But people should stop with all this blind homerism with various issues. It’s weak and very narrow minded. The message board experience would be much better if people were a little more level headed and honest about team issues. 

Creepy got it. I think you up the coaching staff and get some talen around him he will be fine. Like a center that can snap 

Darnold has been making great catches all year on bad throws from 3 feet away by his Center.  If only his WRs could make similar catches when Darnold hits them in the hands.

This kid is good and he's got the perfect mental makeup to be successful.  Unfortunately he's surrounded by underperformers and coached by idiots.

dont blame sam he is a kid with no talent around him and terrible coaching. The jets should pick up the phone and call Steve Young-hire him to be the QB coach pay him big money and to teach Sam the game-Steve is a bright dude and knows all about the game and has been there and done that-the jets need to do all in their power to help him succeed. 

the coach and gm are not doing Sam any favors

Archived