Things are actually looking up...

Romanese

A rough game to say the least.

However, things are actually looking up. A new head coach now seems to be a done deal. Solid candidates available: we have a puncher's shot at McDaniels, especially if Bill wants to coach for several more years. And we could do a lot worse if we land DeFilippo--these two coordinators would be steals for us. There is always a solid list of College HCs (I  know, I know, but some do workout). As for the draft, we have a shot at picking 3rd or 4th. We currently stand at 5, with Cards, Niners, Giants, and Oak ahead of us. By my estimation, we do not win another game, and we are thus in the running with Oak, which we will not catch, the Giants, which I believe can be caught if they win 3 games against either:  San Fran (which there is a shot it could happen and I am hoping for it--will explain below), Tampa Bay (which is certainly possible), Chicago (a slight chance), Tenn ( not likely, but a  chance), Indy (a chance), and Dallas ( at home-- a chance). As for the Cards, They are 1/2 game ahead of us, but may catch and pass us with wins against: Oakland (a lock), Detroit at home (certainly a possibility), Atlanta away (a small chance), or a win against Seattle at home (long shot, but maybe). Finally, I think Niners pass us with wins against Giants, which they should win, Tampa Bay away( I think they win this one), Denver at home ( I think they can win this one as well), Seattle at home (slight chance). So in terms of the draft--I think if our leadership is smart ( I know, I know), we do not win another game, Niners pass us--putting us at drafting #4, if Giants beat Niners tomorrow and beat Tamp Bay and win two of the games against Chicago, Tenn, Indy or Dallas, we could end up at #3. If the Cards beat Oak (a lock), and somehow beat either Atlanta, Seattle, or Detroit, we catch them as well--But I do not think this one is likely. Thus, in terms of the draft, we can do as well as drafting #3, especially if Denver wins a game against either Cleveland or Oakland (a good chance), and Detroit wins a game against Arizona or Bills (certainly a possibility). Otherwise, I believe we can be very well drafting at #4, but no worse than five, by my hopeful estimation, if the team doesn't blow it and win one or two more.

As for our talent, we have a QB for the next decade, if he is not crushed by our Oline ( I suspect new administration will pick-up Oline free agents or high draft picks). We have a better receiving corps than folks seem to think--I like Kearse, I like Quincy, I love Herndon, and even Robby still has a chance to develop and learn to protect the ball. And the defensive, other than today, has played admirably--I like our LB corps--Williamson is good, Lee has developed more than most here believed he could--has become a pretty good LB that can cover, I like Copeland and Luvu. If we add a Outside pass rush LB, we have a very good group. DBs, sadly, have disappointed--Johnson as most would agree was a bad pick-up, Claiborne has also disappointed, Shrine is also up and down (mostly down). Yet, the young ones have been thrown in and have done better than expected--heck, I prefer them to Johnson and Claiborne--Nickerson is a baller that needs to calm down at times, but will be a starting CB sooner than later. As with many here, I like our safeties--Adams has not developed as much as expected in part due to Maye's injuries, but together, I like this duo. We need help on our Dline--I like Big Cat, but he has disappointed--I say he deserves another chance--short-term, Anderson and Pennel have been okay, but we could use an upgrade. In all, Anderson has been a pleasant surprise.

Thus we have a good QB with solid WRs (of course we could improve here), we need a RB (I love Love and I think there is a rested guy living in Pittsburgh), and we have a budding stud at TE--I like this bunch. We need tons of help at the Oline. As a Badger, I would just take their Oline as is, but realistically,  I say we either take Clemson DE Ferrell in the first round, or trade back to 12-15 and aim for Alabama OT Jonah Williams, depending on what we do with free agency. In the 3rd round, I say, aim for OLine--either Badger OT Edwards, if he is there,  Badger OG Benzschawei,  Badger OG Deiter,  Penn St. OG McGovern, Stanford OG Herbig, NIU OT Scharping,  Maryland OG Prince, or Ohio St. OG Prince. Thus, there is a solid chance to sure up our Oline with one or two of the above line prospects. 

It has been a rough year thus far, and it will hopefully continue. I say, do not win another game--thus keep our management as is. Keep Sam on the bench to heal up and stay safe. Run and get McDaniels or DeFilippo. Find a GM--no guesses here. Realize after seven games, we were looking okay because we have some talent---a pass rushing LB or DE from free agency (there is talent out there), and picking up 2-3 Olinemen in the draft, and I seriously believe we will be talking playoffs very soon, especially if we open up the pocket books for RB Bell and perhaps one of the FA WRs: Beckham, Diggs, or Cook.

What's one more year fellow co-dependent Jets fans--it will happen!!!

Correct about the WR extensions, missed that fact. Thanks. I too think Williams may work, I also think Josh Gordon may be worth the risk. As for optimism, after being a fan for over forty years, I can only be optimistic in this co-dependent relationship. As I wrote, I still like our core--QB, TE, Safeties, 3 of four LBs, and even WRs.  

46 minutes ago, Romanese said:

Correct about the WR extensions, missed that fact. Thanks. I too think Williams may work, I also think Josh Gordon may be worth the risk. As for optimism, after being a fan for over forty years, I can only be optimistic in this co-dependent relationship. As I wrote, I still like our core--QB, TE, Safeties, 3 of four LBs, and even WRs.  

Well I respect it because my optimism and hope has long been shattered to an unrepairable extent.

We need to get Bowles out of here and get an actual head coach who can save Darnold before I begin to properly lick my wounds and forget being the first win for the Cleveland Browns in 3 years or losing to Matt Barkley and the Bills 41-10 at home.

I’ve been disgusted all year every year since the 2010-11 playoff run.

I’m a youngin.

I was a freshman in high school in 2010-11. I’ve had time to graduate HS and do 4 years at college since we last were in the playoffs.

It’s sickening.

5 hours ago, Romanese said:

A rough game to say the least.

However, things are actually looking up. A new head coach now seems to be a done deal. Solid candidates available: we have a puncher's shot at McDaniels, especially if Bill wants to coach for several more years. And we could do a lot worse if we land DeFilippo--these two coordinators would be steals for us. There is always a solid list of College HCs (I  know, I know, but some do workout). As for the draft, we have a shot at picking 3rd or 4th. We currently stand at 5, with Cards, Niners, Giants, and Oak ahead of us. By my estimation, we do not win another game, and we are thus in the running with Oak, which we will not catch, the Giants, which I believe can be caught if they win 3 games against either:  San Fran (which there is a shot it could happen and I am hoping for it--will explain below), Tampa Bay (which is certainly possible), Chicago (a slight chance), Tenn ( not likely, but a  chance), Indy (a chance), and Dallas ( at home-- a chance). As for the Cards, They are 1/2 game ahead of us, but may catch and pass us with wins against: Oakland (a lock), Detroit at home (certainly a possibility), Atlanta away (a small chance), or a win against Seattle at home (long shot, but maybe). Finally, I think Niners pass us with wins against Giants, which they should win, Tampa Bay away( I think they win this one), Denver at home ( I think they can win this one as well), Seattle at home (slight chance). So in terms of the draft--I think if our leadership is smart ( I know, I know), we do not win another game, Niners pass us--putting us at drafting #4, if Giants beat Niners tomorrow and beat Tamp Bay and win two of the games against Chicago, Tenn, Indy or Dallas, we could end up at #3. If the Cards beat Oak (a lock), and somehow beat either Atlanta, Seattle, or Detroit, we catch them as well--But I do not think this one is likely. Thus, in terms of the draft, we can do as well as drafting #3, especially if Denver wins a game against either Cleveland or Oakland (a good chance), and Detroit wins a game against Arizona or Bills (certainly a possibility). Otherwise, I believe we can be very well drafting at #4, but no worse than five, by my hopeful estimation, if the team doesn't blow it and win one or two more.

As for our talent, we have a QB for the next decade, if he is not crushed by our Oline ( I suspect new administration will pick-up Oline free agents or high draft picks). We have a better receiving corps than folks seem to think--I like Kearse, I like Quincy, I love Herndon, and even Robby still has a chance to develop and learn to protect the ball. And the defensive, other than today, has played admirably--I like our LB corps--Williamson is good, Lee has developed more than most here believed he could--has become a pretty good LB that can cover, I like Copeland and Luvu. If we add a Outside pass rush LB, we have a very good group. DBs, sadly, have disappointed--Johnson as most would agree was a bad pick-up, Claiborne has also disappointed, Shrine is also up and down (mostly down). Yet, the young ones have been thrown in and have done better than expected--heck, I prefer them to Johnson and Claiborne--Nickerson is a baller that needs to calm down at times, but will be a starting CB sooner than later. As with many here, I like our safeties--Adams has not developed as much as expected in part due to Maye's injuries, but together, I like this duo. We need help on our Dline--I like Big Cat, but he has disappointed--I say he deserves another chance--short-term, Anderson and Pennel have been okay, but we could use an upgrade. In all, Anderson has been a pleasant surprise.

Thus we have a good QB with solid WRs (of course we could improve here), we need a RB (I love Love and I think there is a rested guy living in Pittsburgh), and we have a budding stud at TE--I like this bunch. We need tons of help at the Oline. As a Badger, I would just take their Oline as is, but realistically,  I say we either take Clemson DE Ferrell in the first round, or trade back to 12-15 and aim for Alabama OT Jonah Williams, depending on what we do with free agency. In the 3rd round, I say, aim for OLine--either Badger OT Edwards, if he is there,  Badger OG Benzschawei,  Badger OG Deiter,  Penn St. OG McGovern, Stanford OG Herbig, NIU OT Scharping,  Maryland OG Prince, or Ohio St. OG Prince. Thus, there is a solid chance to sure up our Oline with one or two of the above line prospects. 

It has been a rough year thus far, and it will hopefully continue. I say, do not win another game--thus keep our management as is. Keep Sam on the bench to heal up and stay safe. Run and get McDaniels or DeFilippo. Find a GM--no guesses here. Realize after seven games, we were looking okay because we have some talent---a pass rushing LB or DE from free agency (there is talent out there), and picking up 2-3 Olinemen in the draft, and I seriously believe we will be talking playoffs very soon, especially if we open up the pocket books for RB Bell and perhaps one of the FA WRs: Beckham, Diggs, or Cook.

What's one more year fellow co-dependent Jets fans--it will happen!!!

they are not solid WRs.  The get zero separation.  Quincy and Herndon are keepers.  You cannot go up the field throwing bubble screens.  Two good things have happened:  a good draft pick is virtually guaranteed.  A new coach will probably happen.  Do not overestimate the Johnsons

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This Jets fan gig must be a first time thing for you. Way too optimistic.

we stink.  throughout our roster-- we stink.  sure we have a few players. but fewer than people assume.  Our CBs stink.  Is Leo worth keeping at the price he wants?  Can the safeties really cover guys or are they extra LBs?  The receivers, by and large, are abysmal.  What zones are our OLs covering in the new zone blocking scheme?  I like McGuire, Herndon, Myers and of course, Sam.  Cannon looks fast but he is misused.  No one on the OL is worth a dman---or even a darn.  Henry is a keeper on the DL.  As for all the other backups, I am already too disgusted to even think about them.  Yet Macc is somehow untouchable?

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well I respect it because my optimism and hope has long been shattered to an unrepairable extent.

We need to get Bowles out of here and get an actual head coach who can save Darnold before I begin to properly lick my wounds and forget being the first win for the Cleveland Browns in 3 years or losing to Matt Barkley and the Bills 41-10 at home.

I’ve been disgusted all year every year since the 2010-11 playoff run.

I’m a youngin.

I was a freshman in high school in 2010-11. I’ve had time to graduate HS and do 4 years at college since we last were in the playoffs.

It’s sickening.

try it for 50 years.  anyway parcells took kotite's team and turned it around.  mangini took herm's team and turned it around and then rex took magini's team and turned it around.  they weren't quite as dramatic as what parcells did but it can be done in short order.  the only problem is in how many weeds need to culled out of the current team.  if they need to do another house cleaning then it could get ugly for the next couple of seasons.  on the other hand there may be enough bright points so a few key players and this team could be pretty good.  and if they ever can build up a string of winning seasons then things will look better still.

Good comments. Thanks folks. Worried first post ever would get no responses. Took forever to write. Appreciate it--it was cathartic on a rough day. As for talent at WR, I couldn't disagree more. Robbie gets separation regularly. His problem is he needs to learn how to run something other than a fly or post. He also needs to hit weight room and realize one let's go of the ball AFTER the tackle!! Quincy is often open when out there ( he will get a ton of interest this of season), so we agree Quincy. Herndon, we also agree is a keeper. Thus I suspect by agreement, we have two -three solid targets--better than most teams. And if you allow me to differ again, if you watch film one can see Kearse is a very nice route runner for short to intermediate passes. We have not noticed it much because he has been hurt for several games this year. He had a very nice year last year and has not shown signs of slowing down. So four solid guys, with two future studs--Quincy and Herndon, I take that any day for Sam if you give the man an Oline. There are free agent lineman out there at the end of the year, and this draft is more than solid on Oline after the first 20 picks. Take a look at Wisconsin's Oline, as an alum, I am not completely impartial, but these young men for years have been crushing sold opponents' lines.  There will be 3-4 Badgers available after round one, and that is to name just one group of solid picks. As for the forty years, I was being conservative. I actually liked the Jets for over fifty years, I just was not committed to the pain we feel until the last forty years. 

I repeat, we have a very solid core that will be attractive to a new coach, especially a first timer--I take us over Tampa Bay, Oakland, Giants, Cards, and perhaps a few other teams (Colts?, and Tenn?). We are okay at QB, WRs, TE,  3 LB spots, 1-2 Dlineman, 1-2 CBs, safeties for the next decade. Huge weaknesses-Oline (see draft and free agent comments), Outside pass rush (we may pick 3-5!!!!) and there is free agency, there are RBs options in draft and free agency ( Get Bell already, after we sure up the Oline!!!). Things are looking up! What other options are there for true Jets fans??? I, for one, am no turncoat--even if management doesn't deserve loyalty--I love the NY Jets!!!

I like parts of the core and the team does have some key pieces in place if you believe (like I do) that Darnold can be a potential franchise QB.  Other positives include Cap space and yet another high Draft pick.

But we can't sugarcoat the fact that there are still some significant pieces of the roster than need to be upgraded.  At least 2 OLineman will be needed, at least one starting WR (and it needs to be a WR1 as Enunwa should be a WR2).  We also have no real "weapon" on Offense that strikes the fear of god into opponents.  For as much as the Running Back spot seems to have been devalued I do look at the top teams in the NFL and they all have a Tier 1 RB, and in fact, some have two.  The Rams with Todd Gurley, the Saints with Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram, the Chiefs with Hunt (and about 40 other weapons!!!), the Chargers with Melvin Gordon, etc.

And everything I mentioned above doesn't even include the hardest piece to find outside of QB and that's a true Edge rusher.

I appreciate your optimism and it's a good post, but we have to face the reality that the team is probably about 6-7 starters short out of the 22 that a team fields on both sides of the ball.  That's almost one-third of the team.

There is a 0.0% chance McDaniels comes here, nor do I understand why people would want him. He screwed the Colts at the 11th hour and people think he's coming to the only team in the NFL the Pats despise more?

The positives: Darnold has franchise potential and I'm sure many offensive minds think they can make him a star. Tons of cap space. A top three pick. Some valuable pieces on defense.

The negatives: Bad ownership, a roster without much talent and lots of holes to fill. Tough media market and an irritable fan-base that doesn't show up to games.

In a vacuum there are elements (QB if you like Darnold, cap space, top pick) that make it an appealing job but there are constants (bad ownership, tough media/fans, no homefield advantage) that make it less desirable.

It's the type of job you could sell somebody on but if you have options I'm sure most would rather go elsewhere. Our hope should be that jobs like Baltimore open don't open up.

6 hours ago, jack48 said:

we stink.  throughout our roster-- we stink.  sure we have a few players. but fewer than people assume.  Our CBs stink.  Is Leo worth keeping at the price he wants?  Can the safeties really cover guys or are they extra LBs?  The receivers, by and large, are abysmal.  What zones are our OLs covering in the new zone blocking scheme?  I like McGuire, Herndon, Myers and of course, Sam.  Cannon looks fast but he is misused.  No one on the OL is worth a dman---or even a darn.  Henry is a keeper on the DL.  As for all the other backups, I am already too disgusted to even think about them.  Yet Macc is somehow untouchable?

We’re such a desperate bunch of fans. Look at the names you just called out....and that’s the best we got after 3+ years of Mac and Bowles.

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There is a 0.0% chance McDaniels comes here, nor do I understand why people would want him. He screwed the Colts at the 11th hour and people think he's coming to the only team in the NFL the Pats despise more?

Exactly right !

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I like parts of the core and the team does have some key pieces in place if you believe (like I do) that Darnold can be a potential franchise QB.  Other positives include Cap space and yet another high Draft pick.

But we can't sugarcoat the fact that there are still some significant pieces of the roster than need to be upgraded.  At least 2 OLineman will be needed, at least one starting WR (and it needs to be a WR1 as Enunwa should be a WR2).  We also have no real "weapon" on Offense that strikes the fear of god into opponents.  For as much as the Running Back spot seems to have been devalued I do look at the top teams in the NFL and they all have a Tier 1 RB, and in fact, some have two.  The Rams with Todd Gurley, the Saints with Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram, the Chiefs with Hunt (and about 40 other weapons!!!), the Chargers with Melvin Gordon, etc.

And everything I mentioned above doesn't even include the hardest piece to find outside of QB and that's a true Edge rusher.

I appreciate your optimism and it's a good post, but we have to face the reality that the team is probably about 6-7 starters short out of the 22 that a team fields on both sides of the ball.  That's almost one-third of the team.

1. The arguments against firing Maccagnan is that he drafted Darnold and deserves to see this through. But he has made bad moves and can he be trusted with money and picks again? That's the opposition. 

2. Jamal Adams gets way too much hate from Jets fans. He's one of the best safeties in the NFL right now. He does put himself out there for some criticism but not the slaughtering he gets here. He is a great player. Not a good. Great player PFF backs me up on that. He's a top 10 safety in the league.

Complaining about what we don't have is common here. Let's talk about what we do have.

They have two safeties, 3 LBs and 2 DL. Our defense is nearly set. We need a PR (like always) and we need another CB. I want to wait to see on Trumaine Johnson another year before calling him a lost cause. 

The defense is nearly set. I dont give a sh*t about what happened yesterday. People overblow individual results instead of looking at results as a collective. As a collective, I believe that the Jets are a better defense than they were last year. 

Offense is another story. 

Good points JetStream23. I tend to agree with you re the need for improvement, I just rate a few of our players higher. I think Quincy can develop into a 1 or as you put it a solid 2. I think with 100 million for free agents, Bell is a real option, and if not him, there are nice backs in the draft--I am a fan of Love, but there are several others. As I noted, there is a good amount of Oline help in the 3rd round range, and with two picks there, we could get some solid help. Guys I listed, absent one, played against elite talent a did very well. As for free agency, I would love to help our edge needs (would allow us to trade back in first round and get RB Love or other elite back and still pick up a 2d round pick, if we are still at 3 or 4 in the first). I really like Cowboy free agent DE Lawrence, I also like, but a bit less-- DE CLowney (but still a huge upgrade), and edge rusher Dee Ford would be nice. While one of these guys and Bell will be expensive, I do not believe Bell will command $100 million anymore, and we could still afford it in any case.  And even if I am wrong on the WRs, we have several free agents to be and we can actually free up more space--Kearse for instance is not cheap and many wouldn't mind seeing him leave, though I like him. 

So by my count, I see four impact additions--2 free agents and 2-3 Oline draft picks, we still have a fair amount of money after that and at least one additional 3rd rounder( and amazingly if we could trade back from 4, and pick up a 2nd--I would do back flips!). Yes, we need help, but we are closer than many believe. Edge is tough and expensive, Tackles are tough and expensive--ironically, I prefer us fortifying us at center and guard in the draft--we can do that much easier in draft--two third rounders can fill guard roles--tackles not so so much in that round. We can also get lucky with a center in draft or free agency--Denver's Paradis would be nice, for instance. If my optimistic plans work, we also add a 2nd by trading back in the first and pick up a OT like--Ole Miss's Greg Little, or my Badger OT David Edwards (stud!) in the second. Yeah, I am perhaps a bit Pollyanna--but a Jet fan either is a masochist or a slightly delusional eternal optimist--perhaps I am both.  

Archived