McCarthy interviewing with Browns on Thursday.

JetsYanks13

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Rebuttal:

1. He WAS a consistent winner, but as the NFL evolves he has become less and less successful. Yes there is luck in winning a Superbowl, but his team struggled that year and got hot at the right time. He was fired because he refuses to adjust his philosophy, no reason to think he will adapt here 

2. He was instrumental in devloping Rodgers, but the narrative that Favre did not help him develop is bogus. There was a recent Sirius XM interview with Rodgers and Favre, and Rodgers mentioned tons of things he learned and was mentored on by Favre. In addition, Darnold does not need the same type of teaching McCarthy provided Rodgers. Sam does not need much if any mechanics and fundamentals help, he needs an offensive system developed around him and instruction in running that system. McCarthy teaching stock WC offense does not accomplish this

3. Who cares about cachet? Bowles had a ton. Herm has a ton. John Fox and Jeff Fisher had tons. If anything this is almost a negative as that cachet ignores his deficiencies because he has a "reputation" as a good coach and a a good person. 

4. He is a very bad situational coach. We saw from Bowles how that cost us games. Do we really want a guy like that as well,

Previous success is not a good reason to hire a good coach. The NFL changes. Not all coaches do. Would Cowhers run at all costs philosophy work in todays NFL? I doubt it

Jeff Fisher had a similar record of success to McCarthy but it is obvious that has approach was a compete loser in todays NFL

McCarthy is the same. He is a dinosaur. We need an aggressive, innovative, dynamic, intelligent leader of YOUNG men. One with a MODERN offensive approach.

McCarthy is just not that guy. His run is over. GB fired him for a reason

Yes they did. Because Aaron wanted him gone.

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Isn't this huge news?

Cleveland basically just told him they are more interested in Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski than McCarthy ... WTF ... Hope that turns out to be Giants drafting Barkely

so they did their Rooney interview.  Uh-oh

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Rebuttal:

1. He WAS a consistent winner, but as the NFL evolves he has become less and less successful. Yes there is luck in winning a Superbowl, but his team struggled that year and got hot at the right time. He was fired because he refuses to adjust his philosophy, no reason to think he will adapt here 

2. He was instrumental in devloping Rodgers, but the narrative that Favre did not help him develop is bogus. There was a recent Sirius XM interview with Rodgers and Favre, and Rodgers mentioned tons of things he learned and was mentored on by Favre. In addition, Darnold does not need the same type of teaching McCarthy provided Rodgers. Sam does not need much if any mechanics and fundamentals help, he needs an offensive system developed around him and instruction in running that system. McCarthy teaching stock WC offense does not accomplish this

3. Who cares about cachet? Bowles had a ton. Herm has a ton. John Fox and Jeff Fisher had tons. If anything this is almost a negative as that cachet ignores his deficiencies because he has a "reputation" as a good coach and a a good person. 

4. He is a very bad situational coach. We saw from Bowles how that cost us games. Do we really want a guy like that as well,

Previous success is not a good reason to hire a good coach. The NFL changes. Not all coaches do. Would Cowhers run at all costs philosophy work in todays NFL? I doubt it

Jeff Fisher had a similar record of success to McCarthy but it is obvious that has approach was a compete loser in todays NFL

McCarthy is the same. He is a dinosaur. We need an aggressive, innovative, dynamic, intelligent leader of YOUNG men. One with a MODERN offensive approach.

McCarthy is just not that guy. His run is over. GB fired him for a reason

1.  Kind of interesting that he became less successful as the roster became weaker.  I would think anyone who actually watched the Packers play the last 3 or so seasons was aware that the talent was getting leaner and older at the same time.  You can blame the HC, I wont.A

2.  Anyone associated with the team not named Rodgers says Favre was of no real help to Rodgers, that he wanted nothing to do with grooming his replacement.  Rodgers may be a dick but he's not stupid and isnt going to bash a legend, he wont win that argument

3. ???? What, those 1st time HC, with no history of success had cache?  No they didnt.

4.  Name all the bad situational moves he made and the games, titles or championships it cost the Packers.  No coach is perfect 100% of the time, calling someone out after all those years for a handful of plays reeks of desperation

5. Fisher? You want to compare a defensive, pass adverse ground and pound HC to McCarthy?  And because Fisher had early success and ultimately failed youre suggesting that all HCs with early success should be avoided??? 

6.  My FAVORITE.  Why was he fired.  Like pretty much every HC candidate.  And please, name one with experience that wouldnt come with a firing on his resume.  

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

We disagree on a lot of basic stuff and I don't think it is worth going point by point. 

But, let me ask you, if not McCarthy, who do you want to hire? Who would be better for Darnold? Who has a better resume? Who is a more proven NFL commodity?

I think Monken Kingsbury Waldron Bienimy possibly Gase would all be better than McCarthy. The other two elements are irrelevant in a HC search

I'd just add, as an admitted McCarthy fan...

There's no question the overwhelming reason for Rodgers' success is Aaron Rodgers.  It's not like if he had an average coach, or a defensive minded coach with a mediocre offensive staff, he would be JAG.  He'd still be successful.

But the attention to detail, the "QB school", the experience he has in teaching the position... these are all the little things that add up to push a talent like Rodgers over the top.  Like I said, without that he's still probably what, a very very good QB that makes multiple Pro Bowls and gives his team a few shots at a championship?  But cleaning up those mechanics he had coming out of school and learning the position from someone who knows it so well added that extra 10-15% that makes him a perennial All-Pro, SB champion, and first ballot HOFer.

Giving that guidance to Darnold, as well as the experience that comes with being the lead guy in charge of a prominent and perennial contender in GB for over a decade are the things that lead me to him.  He's a smart guy that has been around a lot of success.  I think the Jets need someone like that in the building.  An experienced hand that can guide a young team and a young QB.  

And in a few years, maybe the team is ready to take that next step but they're being held back by a coach that makes too many questionable in-game decisions and has poor clock management and so on.  Then maybe the time is right and the right young, fresh, innovative coach is out there.  But with the losing that's gone on here and the lack of overall talent, I think right now that coach would be wasted here.

I'd love love LOVE McCarthy to bring someone like Kingsbury in as OC and mesh his system with some of Kingsbury's concepts.  I think that would be the best case scenario.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think Monken Kingsbury Waldron Bienimy possibly Gase would all be better than McCarthy. The other two elements are irrelevant in a HC search

Why would Kingsbury be a better head coach than McCarthy? What evidence is there that he is, for example, better at situational football (a topic you brought up earlier to diminish McCarthy’s candidacy)? 

Same question for Bienimy: Why would he be a better HC than McCarthy?

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:52 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Did you actually know that Aaron Rodgers is 0-35 in the 4th Quarter trailing by 1 point to teams with winning records?

You're scaring me here, PK. Wouldn't this mean McCarthy ALSO is also 0-35? 

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You're scaring me here, PK. Wouldn't this mean McCarthy ALSO is also 0-35? 

It would mean that Aaron Rodgers is 0-35 by trailing 1 point in the 4th Quarter. If 35 of McCarthy’s losses are from being under those circumstances then fine but 125-77 is still what it is.

It would mean that Aaron Rodgers is 0-35 by trailing 1 point in the 4th Quarter. If 35 of McCarthy’s losses are from being under those circumstances then fine but 125-77 is still what it is.

That’s pretty good, but didn’t the NFC North look like the AFC East for a buncha years where there was only 1 good QB for a number of years?

4 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

That’s pretty good, but didn’t the NFC North look like the AFC East for a buncha years where there was only 1 good QB for a number of years?

He has a 10-8 playoff record and 3 NFC Championship trips. Still have to play 10 different teams aside from their division, ect. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Why would Kingsbury be a better head coach than McCarthy? What evidence is there that he is, for example, better at situational football (a topic you brought up earlier to diminish McCarthy’s candidacy)? 

Same question for Bienimy: Why would he be a better HC than McCarthy?

Your question to me was who would be better than McCarthy for Darnold. I answered it. 

All you guys want the opposite of Bowles so you are completely close minded to anybody that is not a former NFL head coach. Under that restriction McCarthy is better than Caldwell, and probably better than Gase. But I think former head coach should not even be a determining factor.

There are a zillion factors into what makes a great coach. But I think those elements change somewhat over time. As an example, situational game management is much more important than it was in the 70s because offenses can score so fast that it changes the whole dynamic. Even in the 80s and 90s situational strategy was basically all from the same book. Now it has become critical. Even saving 15 seconds of time in a game through clock management can mean the difference in winning or losing a game.

I think for the Jets Head Coach he needs the following characteristics:

1. Ability to develop Sam Darnold and build an offense around Sam that best uses his capabilities. (Not a system guy that wants to plug Sam and other players in)

2. Strong situational awareness and in game management, ability to adjust and change game plans on the fly

3. Ability to motivate players and connect with younger players. This is very critical for the Jets as we will have one of the youngest teams in the NFL

4. Ability to develop players and put them in the best position to win

5. Aggressive and fearless. Ability to go "against the book" as needed

I think that is a snapshot of the modern NFL coach.  Bowles obviously had none of these.  There was a time when coaches who had the best systems were best suited for the NFL, but I believe that time has passed. Rosters are too transitional now, and there is not enough practice time to really develop a core for a specific system.

I believe teams successes are really dictated almost entirely today by the QB and situational football. It is why Belichick is the best. He essentially runs a different offense and defense every game based around the strengths of the players he has and the specific strengths and weaknessed of the opposition, and he has the best QB.

So when I look at those 5 things, McCarthy is the answer to basically NONE of them. He is a system coach through and through, not good at situational football, VERY conservative, older and not known as an inspirational coach, and he is definitely a by the book coach.

I just think he is an awful fit here. Dinosaur.

So the answer to your question, is I think ALL of them might be better head coaches than McCarthy. Someone like Kingsbury or Monken or McVay (LA) Pederson (Philly) tick all those boxes. 

There is a reason all the players are behind Kingsbury and it is because his approach to football is what the Jets need. And the young players in the NFL see it clearly. Even Jamal says its all about Sam.

Now, HC also have tons of managerial, structural and process responsibilities, scheduling, etc...that affect a team as well, and he probably needs help in those areas so a strong Assistant HC/Defensive Coordinator would be helpful in helping with all that.

Just how I see it. I think the NFL has moved past super conservative system HCs like McCarthy, Bowles, Fox, Fisher, Lewis, Ryan, etc....

I really believe ALL of the other candidates are better than any of the retreads.

43 minutes ago, Carnival Barker said:

I'd just add, as an admitted McCarthy fan...

There's no question the overwhelming reason for Rodgers' success is Aaron Rodgers.  It's not like if he had an average coach, or a defensive minded coach with a mediocre offensive staff, he would be JAG.  He'd still be successful.

But the attention to detail, the "QB school", the experience he has in teaching the position... these are all the little things that add up to push a talent like Rodgers over the top.  Like I said, without that he's still probably what, a very very good QB that makes multiple Pro Bowls and gives his team a few shots at a championship?  But cleaning up those mechanics he had coming out of school and learning the position from someone who knows it so well added that extra 10-15% that makes him a perennial All-Pro, SB champion, and first ballot HOFer.

Giving that guidance to Darnold, as well as the experience that comes with being the lead guy in charge of a prominent and perennial contender in GB for over a decade are the things that lead me to him.  He's a smart guy that has been around a lot of success.  I think the Jets need someone like that in the building.  An experienced hand that can guide a young team and a young QB.  

And in a few years, maybe the team is ready to take that next step but they're being held back by a coach that makes too many questionable in-game decisions and has poor clock management and so on.  Then maybe the time is right and the right young, fresh, innovative coach is out there.  But with the losing that's gone on here and the lack of overall talent, I think right now that coach would be wasted here.

I'd love love LOVE McCarthy to bring someone like Kingsbury in as OC and mesh his system with some of Kingsbury's concepts.  I think that would be the best case scenario.

Say McCarthy does that and has Kingsbury as OC, which I think is an actual possibility as they have a relationship. What does McCarthy really add at that point. Rodgers did need a lot of mechanical adjustments, but Darnold really is not that guy, He just needs an offense and supporting cast that fit him

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

1.  Kind of interesting that he became less successful as the roster became weaker.  I would think anyone who actually watched the Packers play the last 3 or so seasons was aware that the talent was getting leaner and older at the same time.  You can blame the HC, I wont.A

2.  Anyone associated with the team not named Rodgers says Favre was of no real help to Rodgers, that he wanted nothing to do with grooming his replacement.  Rodgers may be a dick but he's not stupid and isnt going to bash a legend, he wont win that argument

3. ???? What, those 1st time HC, with no history of success had cache?  No they didnt.

4.  Name all the bad situational moves he made and the games, titles or championships it cost the Packers.  No coach is perfect 100% of the time, calling someone out after all those years for a handful of plays reeks of desperation

5. Fisher? You want to compare a defensive, pass adverse ground and pound HC to McCarthy?  And because Fisher had early success and ultimately failed youre suggesting that all HCs with early success should be avoided??? 

6.  My FAVORITE.  Why was he fired.  Like pretty much every HC candidate.  And please, name one with experience that wouldnt come with a firing on his resume.  

Just a comment on your point #2.  I saw an interview with Rodgers some years ago the reporter asked Rodgers "How much did Favre mentor you?" Rodgers replied  "I think he said hi once in the hall"

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Say McCarthy does that and has Kingsbury as OC, which I think is an actual possibility as they have a relationship. What does McCarthy really add at that point. Rodgers did need a lot of mechanical adjustments, but Darnold really is not that guy, He just needs an offense and supporting cast that fit him

It's not just a matter of teaching a QB mechanics and then, voila, you have a finished product.  There's a reason why so many of these guys, very accomplished veteran guys, still have coaches they work with in the off-season.  It's why a guy like Favre was able to learn new things and practice a different way of playing the position so late in his career, and have a bit of a resurgence.  Details that are practiced and reinforced, and ideas and concepts that are being introduced on a consistent basis to try and achieve the impossible and perfect the position.  I think it's good to have someone with a known track record of success in this area with Darnold.

And like I also said, it's not just about finding a QB guru for Darnold.  I personally like the idea of a coach that has been in charge of a winning organization for over a decade, who has been a part of a franchise with a great history and has seen the ins and outs and the whys and why nots of what makes for a successful football organization.  Maybe he's overrated and maybe none of that will matter.  But I've never been overly enamored with the "hot coordinator" option unless there's a really great, almost no-doubt-about-it option out there, and I don't see it.

Now I'm certainly intrigued by a Kingsbury, or even a Monken, as OC to work WITH McCarthy (and not just run their offense without McCarthy, another reason why I disagree with McCarthy not really adding anything after a while), but neither to me is a guy I would gamble on right now to be the head coach.

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Your question to me was who would be better than McCarthy for Darnold. I answered it. 

All you guys want the opposite of Bowles so you are completely close minded to anybody that is not a former NFL head coach. Under that restriction McCarthy is better than Caldwell, and probably better than Gase. But I think former head coach should not even be a determining factor.

There are a zillion factors into what makes a great coach. But I think those elements change somewhat over time. As an example, situational game management is much more important than it was in the 70s because offenses can score so fast that it changes the whole dynamic. Even in the 80s and 90s situational strategy was basically all from the same book. Now it has become critical. Even saving 15 seconds of time in a game through clock management can mean the difference in winning or losing a game.

I think for the Jets Head Coach he needs the following characteristics:

1. Ability to develop Sam Darnold and build an offense around Sam that best uses his capabilities. (Not a system guy that wants to plug Sam and other players in)

2. Strong situational awareness and in game management, ability to adjust and change game plans on the fly

3. Ability to motivate players and connect with younger players. This is very critical for the Jets as we will have one of the youngest teams in the NFL

4. Ability to develop players and put them in the best position to win

5. Aggressive and fearless. Ability to go "against the book" as needed

I think that is a snapshot of the modern NFL coach.  Bowles obviously had none of these.  There was a time when coaches who had the best systems were best suited for the NFL, but I believe that time has passed. Rosters are too transitional now, and there is not enough practice time to really develop a core for a specific system.

I believe teams successes are really dictated almost entirely today by the QB and situational football. It is why Belichick is the best. He essentially runs a different offense and defense every game based around the strengths of the players he has and the specific strengths and weaknessed of the opposition, and he has the best QB.

So when I look at those 5 things, McCarthy is the answer to basically NONE of them. He is a system coach through and through, not good at situational football, VERY conservative, older and not known as an inspirational coach, and he is definitely a by the book coach.

I just think he is an awful fit here. Dinosaur.

So the answer to your question, is I think ALL of them might be better head coaches than McCarthy. Someone like Kingsbury or Monken or McVay (LA) Pederson (Philly) tick all those boxes. 

There is a reason all the players are behind Kingsbury and it is because his approach to football is what the Jets need. And the young players in the NFL see it clearly. Even Jamal says its all about Sam.

Now, HC also have tons of managerial, structural and process responsibilities, scheduling, etc...that affect a team as well, and he probably needs help in those areas so a strong Assistant HC/Defensive Coordinator would be helpful in helping with all that.

Just how I see it. I think the NFL has moved past super conservative system HCs like McCarthy, Bowles, Fox, Fisher, Lewis, Ryan, etc....

I really believe ALL of the other candidates are better than any of the retreads.

i think some of your points are valid however there's one thing the jets have that other teams don't and that's the whole issue of being in ny.  imo mccarthy would be less phased about coaching in a huge program than just about any other candidate.  maybe one of the harbaugh's would be okay on such a big stage.  another point is the jets have no esprit de corps.  green bay had the whole curley lambaugh, vince lombardi, mike holmgren mystique and mccarthy was able to get the team to perform in this environment.  much as some people are downplaying mccarthy as some sort of dinosaur coach, he must have been doing something right.  and we have seen coaches falter with qb's who are at least close to rodgers in talent so it's not like having a guy like rodgers ensures success.

i don't know who the next coach will be.  i do see that the jets have had very limited success by hiring one rookie hc after another and i think they need someone who can come in and get the team's attention right off the bat.

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Just a comment on your point #2.  I saw an interview with Rodgers some years ago the reporter asked Rodgers "How much did Favre mentor you?" Rodgers replied  "I think he said hi once in the hall"

LOL, exactly the types of things I have read.  Think its well documented Favre was like Montana, wanted no part of his replacement and had no problem letting anyone know just how he felt.  

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

yep and richard todd said joe namath showed him where all the good bars are.  it's not like any vet qb is going to be a great mentor to the guy who's going to take his job.

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Is this a real question?  What does he bring? 

Over 10 years experience?

How to win a division title?  Nine times over?

Won in the playoffs?

Coached in a SB?

Won a SB?

Knowledge of what it takes to coach and win in the NFL?

How to get the attention and respect of NFL players?

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL, exactly the types of things I have read.  Think its well documented Favre was like Montana, wanted no part of his replacement and had no problem letting anyone know just how he felt.  

Favre and Rodgers did a discussion on Sirius a few months back, and it was pretty obvious that the narrative of Fave never helping Rodgers was not at all accurate. Rodgers said so himself in the discussion if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

But that wasn't the only question that I asked and it is not the only important question to be considered.   

In general, you seem to be drastically undervaluing McCarthy's experience as well as his history of prolonged success. 

Frankly, the notion that Kliff Kingsbury, a college coach with a losing career record at a meh program, is more qualified than Mike McCarthy to become the next head coach of the New York Jets, is simply preposterous to me. 

Could Kingsbury be another Sean McVay? Sure. But he could also be another (must less qualified) Steve Spurrier. 

We already have the future stud QB. If you give us an above average HC for the next 5 years, we are almost guaranteed to become contenders. Mike McCarthy is (among those confirmed to be available) the safest bet when it comes to finding an above average NFL head coach in this year's market. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Won in the playoffs?

Coached in a SB?

Won a SB?

+100000000000000000000000

54 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Favre and Rodgers did a discussion on Sirius a few months back, and it was pretty obvious that the narrative of Fave never helping Rodgers was not at all accurate. Rodgers said so himself in the discussion if I remember correctly.

Its what was reported.  I'll believe every time what was said way back when it was fresh in his mind.  As opposed to what was said on a joint appearance.  Rodgers just said Favre was standoffish, was annoyed all the time they were together and ignored him most of the time just a few short weeks ago

Favre played the entire time & Rodgers was the backup.  Favre had no time and no business being a real mentor.  He wasnt, like McCown, a backup with plenty of time on his hands whos only real job, his existence was to help Sam.

Still only one small piece of what you complained about McCarthy and his time with the Packers.  A bad attempt to try and convince all that Rodgers wasnt developed by McCarthy but by Favre that is really weak

21 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure they do. The money is rarely the issue here. I don't know where that comes from.  sure we haven't paid big money to our coaches recently, but they were all first time coaches as well. That certainly has something to do with it. 

If CJ want's a coach badly, I don't see the money being the reason he doesn't nail down the guy he wants most.

But you make my point. They were interested in Cowher, but never made a serious run because of money. (I am not saying Cowher is an answer to anything) They settled over and over with coaches. Parcells did NOT want to stick around, Belichick bolted. How can this not be at the very least based somewhat on money? They went to first time coaches all the time and whiffed. 

16 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I disagree, I think they've been more than willing to shell out big money. My only gripe with them is that they didn't put a dome on our stadium.

Not when it comes to coaches. They even kept Hermano Edwardo one year longer than they should have because he had 2 years left on his contract. 

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Won in the playoffs?

Coached in a SB?

Won a SB?

Prior to getting his second coaching job this guy had:

17 years experience

Multiple division titles

6 time playoff appearance 

Coached in a SB

Coached in multiple AFC Championship games

Knowledge of what it takes to coach and win in the NFL

Career winning record

Jeff-Fisher%E2%80%AC%E2%80%AC-rams-gif.g

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Prior to getting his second coaching job this guy had:

17 years experience

Multiple division titles

6 time playoff appearance 

Coached in a SB

Coached in multiple AFC Championship games

Knowledge of what it takes to coach and win in the NFL

Career winning record

Jeff-Fisher%E2%80%AC%E2%80%AC-rams-gif.g

I can see that this means you stay away from any HC candidate with HC experience.  You dont look at how they coached, what their schemes and preferences were, who the comp was?  What generation we're talking about, makes no difference?  

Sorry, this is funny but meaningless.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I can see that this means you stay away from any HC candidate with HC experience.  You dont look at how they coached, what their schemes and preferences were, who the comp was?  What generation we're talking about, makes no difference?  

Sorry, this is funny but meaningless.  

I've seen McCarthy make really bad in game decisions that have driven Rodgers/Packers Management/Packers fans to the point everyone wanted him fired mid-season. Let's ignore that and look back a decade and find the time he won the Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers because we know how hard it is to win with one of the most talented QBs of all time. 

31 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I've seen McCarthy make really bad in game decisions that have driven Rodgers/Packers Management/Packers fans to the point everyone wanted him fired mid-season. Let's ignore that and look back a decade and find the time he won the Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers because we know how hard it is to win with one of the most talented QBs of all time. 

I've seen Belichich and Parcells make terrible in game decisions too.  All do eventually if you look close enough.  Parcells ended a season and any chance of making the playoff by putting the ball in a backs hands on a half back option in Detroit.  Picked off and the season was over.  Belichich played Gronk and others, still does, in meaningless game only to watch Gronk blow out his arm, lose him for the playoffs and from time to time the rest of his career.  Or when he went on 4th and too much against the Colts instead of punting because he didnt trust his team to come up with a stop.  So I bet we can find screw ups, doesnt mean he cant coach or that the other candidates, whos resumes dont compare are better options. 

I wont be upset if he doesnt sign up with us but I also wont be surprised or upset if he does.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I've seen Belichich and Parcells make terrible in game decisions too.  All do eventually if you look close enough.  Parcells ended a season and any chance of making the playoff by putting the ball in a backs hands on a half back option in Detroit.  Picked off and the season was over.  Belichich played Gronk and others, still does, in meaningless game only to watch Gronk blow out his arm, lose him for the playoffs and from time to time the rest of his career.  Or when he went on 4th and too much against the Colts instead of punting because he didnt trust his team to come up with a stop.  So I bet we can find screw ups, doesnt mean he cant coach or that the other candidates, whos resumes dont compare are better options. 

I wont be upset if he doesnt sign up with us but I also wont be surprised or upset if he does.

Agreed. He is on my list of guys I like, but considering how fast the game is changing I prefer one of the younger Offensive guys that are on the cutting edge and not a guy that seems stuck in his ways. Again, it's very rare for a SB winning HC to be fired in-season and for the fanbase and franchise QB to be on board with the move. People can hate on Rodgers all they want but he wasn't alone in wanting McCarthy to go. 

That doesn't mean McCarthy can't succeed here. I think he can. I would just prefer to go in a different direction offensively. 

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

yep and richard todd said joe namath showed him where all the good bars are.  it's not like any vet qb is going to be a great mentor to the guy who's going to take his job.

I never heard that before.  That's great!  Gave me a nice LOL moment.

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. He is on my list of guys I like, but considering how fast the game is changing I prefer one of the younger Offensive guys that are on the cutting edge and not a guy that seems stuck in his ways. Again, it's very rare for a SB winning HC to be fired in-season and for the fanbase and franchise QB to be on board with the move. People can hate on Rodgers all they want but he wasn't alone in wanting McCarthy to go. 

That doesn't mean McCarthy can't succeed here. I think he can. I would just prefer to go in a different direction offensively. 

Agreed.  But also we should hire a coach because of who the fan base he comes from has to say.  Look at the we signed Bowles threat for why.  This fanbase was thrilled, fell over themselves high fiving the hire.  Lol

Archived