McCarthy interviewing with Browns on Thursday.

JetsYanks13

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

We couldn't get a damn foot against the Pats last Sunday, just a disgusting display by our underwhelming Oline. I think even Winters sucks & is overpaid! 

they all stink. It is cross your fingers and hope.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Brady is highest paid if you count the Swiss bank account Kraft deposits money in

he is not on the top 6 list, though.  how much of his salary actually hits the cap, is the point.  QBs that eat a ton of cap hurt their teams

3 minutes ago, jack48 said:

he is not on the top 6 list, though.  how much of his salary actually hits the cap, is the point.  QBs that eat a ton of cap hurt their teams

Someone posted the highest paid QBs did not make the playoffs this year! WOW! Coincidence? I think not!

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not so fast my friend.  Things that make you go Hmmm.  For anyone who doesn't want to click the tweet to read the last part he says "that could be where he ends up(meaning the Jets) if he decides to coach in 2019.

This is super interesting. They rescheduled with the guy and pushed his date back a week? The Jets need to pounce 

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is super interesting. They rescheduled with the guy and pushed his date back a week? The Jets need to pounce 

Yeah I'm not exactly sure what the reasoning behind this is.  The guy they are interviewing today is basically a non-candidate too.    Demovsky is plugged in to the Packers, so him essentially saying he thinks the Jets are more likely than the Browns should be good news for those who like McCarthy.

I'm at work and can't listen to this now, but Albert Breer was apparently interviewed by a Cleveland radio station and said he doesn't see McCarthy as the guy the Browns are going to hire. He also thinks Matt Campbell is still in play for the Browns job.

Here's the link if anyone wants to listen:

https://923thefan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/albert-breer-says-matt-campbell-still-mix-browns-doesnt-see-mccarthy-guy

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yeah I'm not exactly sure what the reasoning behind this is.  The guy they are interviewing today is basically a non-candidate too.    Demovsky is plugged in to the Packers, so him essentially saying he thinks the Jets are more likely than the Browns should be good news for those who like McCarthy.

The Vikings offense looked a little better with that guy but yeah, non-candidate for sure, it’s a weird development. I’m curious as to why they did this. And I’m even more curious as to when the Jets are doing their interview with McCarthy.

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hmmmm. That really is interesting.  I could instantly make it a positive or a negative in my mind due to all of the different people who live in there. I wonder what it means. 

The one thing I would say for sure is that it would seem odd if it were to be the Browns who delayed it. I'd say McCarthy would be the priority candidate over the Vikings interim OC no?  Lotsa meat on this bone I think.  now we just need to see when the Jets interview is set up for. 

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’d be extremely surprised if McCarthy picks us over the Browns, due to his background with Dorsey.

But maybe, Cleveland isn’t all in on McCarthy and we are. 

If Dorsey doesn’t have McCarthy as his top choice though....what does that say about McCarthy?

i disagree.  i think working with darnold is much more appealing than working with mayfield.  plus the AFC east is about to become wide open.  with a good offseason the jets could actually contend for the division.  

On 1/2/2019 at 2:58 AM, MaxAF said:

If ya win you keep your job if you lose you’re out. 

So if you’re a winning coach you stay....except in Green Bay. ?

really? what's his record when Rodgers was hurt? like 1-20? What makes you think you're not trying to hire Rodgers's record, not McCarthy who's clock management and playcalling are as bad as you've tolerated. 

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hmmmm. That really is interesting.  I could instantly make it a positive or a negative in my mind due to all of the different people who live in there. I wonder what it means. 

The one thing I would say for sure is that it would seem odd if it were to be the Browns who delayed it. I'd say McCarthy would be the priority candidate over the Vikings interim OC no?  Lotsa meat on this bone I think.  now we just need to see when the Jets interview is set up for. 

Yes - interesting. And we need a mole to tell us when McCarthy is interviewing in NY.  

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’d be extremely surprised if McCarthy picks us over the Browns, due to his background with Dorsey.

If Dorsey doesn’t have McCarthy as his top choice though....what does that say about McCarthy?

There could be lots of reasons. Maybe Dorsey and McCarthy didn't get along during their time in Green Bay. Maybe the Browns owner has a larger say in the search than we realize. Maybe Dorsey doesn't see McCarthy as a good fit for Mayfield, or maybe McCarthy is the one who is dubious about coaching Mayfield or the Browns in general. 

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think the data on McCarthy is pretty much established. I wouldn't think whether or not Cleveland is as "All in" as the Jets are says all that much. Especially since it's Cleveland.  Sure they are the hot team right now, but its going to take a lot more than their recent spurt to convince me they aren't still dysfunctional. 

I still think they are a bit off not to retain Williams and Kitchens and continue to build on the momentum they have going on. Seems like things were working well up there. Changing that for change's sake seems unnecessary to me.

Dorsey was director of scouting for the packers from 2000-2013 so he has a relationship with McCarthy. Hard to believe he would come to New York to work for people he doesn’t know when both jobs have franchise QB’s and Cleveland has more talent overall. Dorsey has had more successful drafts by far than Mac as well. Plus McCarthy is a blue collar guy from Pittsburgh with his father being a police officer and firefighter there. He has been in the Midwest most of his career including all that time in Green Bay. He just seems like a guy who would pick Cleveland over New York. 

13 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Nail on the head. It could mean a lot of things...I just want to get our interview with him. See what unfolds from there.

On 1/1/2019 at 9:44 PM, bla bla bla said:

Create a bidding war between the two teams desperate to develop QB talent. I don't think there is a wrong answer between the Jets and Browns.

I don't see the Jets ever winning a "bidding war" We're talking Johnson bros here. They don't part with money. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:18 AM, sec101row23 said:

So when is McCarthy interviewing with the Jets?  

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Friday, the 4th of January. Once he meets Sam Darnold after spending time with the Browns and Baker, he'll know the Jets are his last stop and will get on the horn with his wife and start spreading the news. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

3-8-1 

it's actually 5-15... It's a very Jetsy record. 

I'd love the see the pro-McCarthy crowd address his shortcomings; Clock Managment, lopsided offenses that peter out in playoffs against good D, dysfunctional running game... play calling that Rodgers was essentially fed up. 

Why is that not a concern. 

2 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I don't see the Jets ever winning a "bidding war" We're talking Johnson bros here. They don't part with money. 

Sure they do. The money is rarely the issue here. I don't know where that comes from.  sure we haven't paid big money to our coaches recently, but they were all first time coaches as well. That certainly has something to do with it. 

If CJ want's a coach badly, I don't see the money being the reason he doesn't nail down the guy he wants most.

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The Vikings offense looked a little better with that guy but yeah, non-candidate for sure, it’s a weird development. I’m curious as to why they did this. And I’m even more curious as to when the Jets are doing their interview with McCarthy.

Well when you replace Case Keenum with Kirk Cousins, no matter what you think of Cousins, you should expect 'a little better'.  I don't know if Thielen's explosion in production was a result of Cousins, the game planning, or a bit of both but that's something that needs to be sorted out.  The guy from TB, Monken, is actually compelling for similar reasons.  That offense was completely different this year and with even less talent.  But he's been their OC for 3 years so what changed?

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure they do. The money is rarely the issue here. I don't know where that comes from.  sure we haven't paid big money to our coaches recently, but they were all first time coaches as well. That certainly has something to do with it. 

If CJ want's a coach badly, I don't see the money being the reason he doesn't nail down the guy he wants most.

Agreed.   Just because they didn't grossly overpay for a first-time HC doesn't make them cheap.   They have never given me the impression they are penny-pinching (and years of watching the Wilpons has made me an expert on that).  They spent fabulously on the training facility for example.  

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed I’m getting a little tired of that narrative.  They know damn well this is the most important hire in many years because of Sam.  If they want McCarthy they will do what they need to do

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Well when you replace Case Keenum with Kirk Cousins, no matter what you think of Cousins, you should expect 'a little better'.  I don't know if Thielen's explosion in production was a result of Cousins, the game planning, or a bit of both but that's something that needs to be sorted out.  The guy from TB, Monken, is actually compelling for similar reasons.  That offense was completely different this year and with even less talent.  But he's been their OC for 3 years so what changed?

DeFilippo was the OC half way through the year and they underwhelmed, the candidate that CLE is interviewing had them playing better and they were playing through Dalvin Cook, too.

9 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed I’m getting a little tired of that narrative.  They know damn well this is the most important hire in many years because of Sam.  If they want McCarthy they will do what they need to do

Right!  

Especially with all the press being sure to mention that it's both CJ's and Macc's first time leading the search for the HC.  They asked why they didn't hire a search firm as well. CJ wants to get this right. Money won't be the issue. 

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

really? what's his record when Rodgers was hurt? like 1-20? What makes you think you're not trying to hire Rodgers's record, not McCarthy who's clock management and playcalling are as bad as you've tolerated. 

GB was 3-6 with Brett Hundley         (who) yes some QB named Brett Hundley when Rodgers was out. Not to mention many other injuries that year. McCarthy will end up somewhere. Time will tell if McCarthy has been carrying Rodgers jock strap. Or maybe they are both just good. Is McCarthy flawless? No. No one is. Is he one of the best candidates out there for a head coaching position? IMHO....yes. And I don’t think I’m the only one who would agree with that statement. The Jets have been picking up coordinators since Parcells with not much to show for it. I think it’s past time that they get a proven HC with experience to coach the team. He has one of the best winning percentages in the business with over 200 games as a HC.

On 1/1/2019 at 9:43 PM, nycdan said:

Well...everyone but GB :)

Sounds like it's likely Browns but Jets may be a dark horse.  I doubt he drags it out too long.  Might even just agree to terms on Thursday with CLE but I hope he gives us a real look first.

That may be so but going to Cleveland he will have similar issues he had in GB.  He will have a diva for a QB.  What's worse is Mayfield is a young diva which is far worse.  He will also have to deal with Dorsey who will have final say over who is signed and who is drafted.  And he'd be in Cleveland.  Come to the Jets and mentor Darnold who is coachable and will be better than Mayfield.  And he will have A LOT of input into free agent signings and the draft.  Money will simply not be a factor.  Does anyone seriously think the Johnsons are going to skimp on a few million dollars to not improve their billion dollar investment?  Nonsense.

To me it's a no brainer.

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd love the see the pro-McCarthy crowd address his shortcomings; Clock Managment, lopsided offenses that peter out in playoffs against good D, dysfunctional running game... play calling that Rodgers was essentially fed up. 

Tolzien or Seneca Wallace. I don't think that's a fair sample to jump to conclusions on. Like MaxAF said. No one is flawless. He’s the best option to develop our QB though.

5 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

That may be so but going to Cleveland he will have similar issues he had in GB.  He will have a diva for a QB.  What's worse is Mayfield is a young diva which is far worse.  He will also have to deal with Dorsey who will have final say over who is signed and who is drafted.  And he'd be in Cleveland.  Come to the Jets and mentor Darnold who is coachable and will be better than Mayfield.  And he will have A LOT of input into free agent signings and the draft.

To me it's a no brainer.

I agree.  I hope McCarthy agrees as well.   There's a lot of smoke right now and every tweeting journalist is trying to stake a position on this.  It's hard to know what, if any of it, is real.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Tolzien or Seneca Wallace. I don't think that's a fair sample to jump to conclusions on. Like MaxAF said. No one is flawless. He’s the best option to develop our QB though.

Thats not his job though! Thats what the QB coach, and OC are responsible for ... And do you really McCarthy was the mastermind behind Rodgers "development" ...  What you're saying is the equivalent of saying "lets hire Kris Richard so our DBs can be developed into better cover guys"

You're talking about a Head Coach - who's job it is to win games. That's so much more complicated than "develop our QB"  

38 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Are people saying it's not a concern?  I think that anyone who looks at any of these coaches objectively realizes they all have some sort area of concern. 

With someone like McCarthy, at least it's fairly clear what his weaknesses are.  With a lot of the others, it's unclear what their weaknesses are.  They could be even more detrimental then his.

I am torn on McCarthy.  I think he will be at minimum a good coach.  Not sure he will ever be a great coach.  Could one of the others guys be a great coach?  Maybe.  The thing could also be Bowles.  It's the risk/reward.  

Hiring someone like say Kingsbury could put this franchise on rocket ship to stardom.  He could also crash and burn in glorious fashion.  

Archived