McCarthy interviewing with Browns on Thursday.

JetsYanks13

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't appear the Jets interview date is known yet.

I don't think he accepts either job before completing both interviews..

I'm usually wrong though.  So much so I'm considering a Costanza approach and just hitching my wagon to whichever coach my gut tells me I don't want at all.

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

He is going to interview with everyone and at the end he will sign where he wants and not the other way around. He is the one candidate that every team with an opening has some form of intrest in.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Well...everyone but GB :)

Sounds like it's likely Browns but Jets may be a dark horse.  I doubt he drags it out too long.  Might even just agree to terms on Thursday with CLE but I hope he gives us a real look first.

Please Browns sign him. Seriously though, it seems like a better fit in Cleveland.. I have not seen us ask to interview Waldron yet, but Monken seems like a really intriguing guy. Fitzpatrick is super high on him, and he probably has some relationships still open with Jets guys including MacCagnan. McCarthy is not the worst choice but he is close.

I’m on record as saying I want McCarthy, but I also try and remove myself from fandom and look at these things rationally....that said I think at the end of the day he picks Sam over Baker ..which let’s face it is really what this comes down to ...but it will be interesting to see how this all  plays out . 

9 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Sometimes teams don’t let coaches leave without a contract. The jets did it with Todd Bowles.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't think the Browns or Jets(or anyone else) are in a position to pull that with a guy like McCarthy.  If he signs with one of them without doing the other interview, it's because that was the job he wanted all along and they met his demands.

If they try to strong arm him, he'd probably just laugh and say good luck and move on to the other, or another oppurtunity in the future 

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Well...everyone but GB :)

Sounds like it's likely Browns but Jets may be a dark horse.  I doubt he drags it out too long.  Might even just agree to terms on Thursday with CLE but I hope he gives us a real look first.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion its likely the Browns

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

Unfortunately to me, the Browns is a better option because their team is further along the road to recovery....

Good Grief...... :(

GO GET SHANAHAN!!!!!! :) 

Something tells me when push comes to shove he’s not going to want to deal with Bakers BS...but we’ll see.

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

Something tells me when push comes to shove he’s not going to want to deal with Bakers BS...but we’ll see.

I also wonder how his relationship with Dorsey is.

I feel like thats what it will really come down to. If him and Dorsey are tight, I dont see how we can compete with that.

4 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Former Packers coach Mike McCarthy is expected to interview with the Cleveland Browns on Thursday, a source said. McCarthy also has something set up with the Jets but it's not clear if that will happen before or after the interview with the Browns. https://t.co/FTPgLwrauS

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for something like this: 

Rappaport reports: We've just learned that McCarthy told us about the Cleveland interview while was at dinner with Chris Johnson at the Reservoir Pub in Boonton NJ. Jets interview set for Wednesday!!

PLEEEEEASE!   :) 

Well...everyone but GB
I think the browns are his best chance for success but I think he will hear the pitch from at least the jets and Arizona before he commits to anyone

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm waiting for something like this: 
Rappaport reports: We've just learned that McCarthy told us about the Cleveland interview while was at dinner with Chris Johnson at the Reservoir Pub in Boonton NJ. Jets interview set for Wednesday!!

PLEEEEEASE!    
Lol. Again not out of the realm of possibility with this team....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

I also wonder how his relationship with Dorsey is.

I feel like thats what it will really come down to. If him and Dorsey are tight, I dont see how we can compete with that.

No. It's Sam vs Baker. That's ultimately the deciding factor for McCarthy. 

I think the Browns job has a lot more pressure than people realize.

1. After going 7-8-1 with Baker boy starting early in the year the expectation will be playoffs or bust.

2. Baker had a good statistical season so it will be harder to take credit for any improvement in his game 

3. John Dorsey comes off as an intense a$$hole to me 

McCarthy just got run out of town because of the fans and a QB who didn't want him anymore. Do you think he opts for a place that fires coaches like many change their underwear? Starting with Mangini, the coaches have had 2 years, Shurmur 2 years, Chudinzski? 1 year, Pattine 2 years, and Jackson 2 1/2 years. If they hire anyone other than williams, we can add Williams 1/2 year.

People get frustrated with the patience the Johnson's have shown, but in this case, it may help us land our HC.

Just now, nico002 said:

I think the Browns job has a lot more pressure than people realize.

1. After going 7-8-1 with Baker boy starting early in the year the expectation will be playoffs or bust.

2. Baker had a good statistical season so it will be harder to take credit for any improvement in his game 

3. John Dorsey comes off as an intense a$$hole to me 

I think you are pointing out something pretty important. Cleveland has a lot already in place and the expectations are very high. I don't think that would scare McCarthy away necessarily, but it's not all positive to have that type of a situation. 

That said, Cleveland is pretty attractive right now and is significantly closer to McCarthy's family than NY/NJ. The Dorsey relationship may be a tough one to beat as well. I just hope Sam can be the nugget McCarthy see's as the real attractor here over a punk like Baker Mayfield. 

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

McCarthy just got run out of town because of the fans and a QB who didn't want him anymore. Do you think he opts for a place that fires coaches like many change their underwear? Starting with Mangini, the coaches have had 2 years, Shurmur 2 years, Chudinzski? 1 year, Pattine 2 years, and Jackson 2 1/2 years. If they hire anyone other than williams, we can add Williams 1/2 year.

People get frustrated with the patience the Johnson's have shown, but in this case, it may help us land our HC.

Another good point. Cleveland has its warts for sure. This one you mention is a big one. I don't think McCarthy would be one to worry about being fired in 2 years although he may be a bit shell shocked from being fired midseason in Green Bay. 

Chris Johnson should come out and say point blank. "you want to go to a place who just did to Hue what the Packers did to you? F**K THAT!" :) 

Archived