McCarthy interviewing with Browns on Thursday.

JetsYanks13

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Thats not his job though! Thats what the QB coach, and OC are responsible for ... And do you really McCarthy was the mastermind behind Rodgers "development" ...  What you're saying is the equivalent of saying "lets hire Kris Richard so our DBs can be developed into better cover guys"

You're talking about a Head Coach - who's job it is to win games. That's so much more complicated than "develop our QB"  

Agreed. 

The love affair for McCarthy is based mostly on a SB he won almost a decade ago. The game has changed since then and McCarthy has a bad record the last 4 years which lead to his firing MID-SEASON. It's not often that a great coach with a SB on his resume is fired mid-season. 

The team/Rodgers/Fans had enough of McCarthy's bad in game decisions. He was costing them games. But some here are blinded by the name/Ring. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And do you really McCarthy was the mastermind behind Rodgers "development"

There is an entire thread proving that he had a very hands on approach to his development, yes, he was the mastermind behind it.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What you're saying is the equivalent of saying "lets hire Kris Richard so our DBs can be developed into better cover guys"

No, it really isn’t. Are one of our DB’s a top 3 pick, who’s development hinges on the success of our entire organization? Is DB the most important position in the sport? Does DB have one of the hardest learning curves in the sports world?

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You're talking about a Head Coach - who's job it is to win games. That's so much more complicated than "develop our QB"  

It’s simply a very beneficial part of signing McCarthy. It’s not the end all, be all — even though you can make a case that it’s the #2 most important thing. He does win games. 125 of them.

18 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

That may be so but going to Cleveland he will have similar issues he had in GB.  He will have a diva for a QB.  What's worse is Mayfield is a young diva which is far worse.  He will also have to deal with Dorsey who will have final say over who is signed and who is drafted.  And he'd be in Cleveland.  Come to the Jets and mentor Darnold who is coachable and will be better than Mayfield.  And he will have A LOT of input into free agent signings and the draft.  Money will simply not be a factor.  Does anyone seriously think the Johnsons are going to skimp on a few million dollars to not improve their billion dollar investment?  Nonsense.

To me it's a no brainer.

The thing that very few people are talking about is just how big a deal this may be to McCarthy. He essentially just got fired by a QB who was throwing him under the bus, but at least ARod is a QB God.

Meanwhile, you've got Baker acting a goddamned fool every time he's on the field or behind the mic....and he hasn't even proven anything yet. And he's already shown more disrespect to people in the league than Aaron ever has in his 12+ years. That certainly weighs heavy.

Also, I think it's probably in Cleveland's best interest to continue with what they have. Kitchens and specifically Williams are perfect for Baker, and they've clearly enjoyed some form of competency there the final 8 games.

47 minutes ago, nycdan said:

TB, Monken, is actually compelling for similar reasons.  That offense was completely different this year and with even less talent.  But he's been their OC for 3 years so what changed?

interesting. 2 good to very, very good WRs Evans/Jackson+   Fitz opened it up? doesnt't sound right. though Fitz had a quite nice 2015 with 2 good to very good Wrs in Marshall and Decker.  TB's WR are more xplosive. 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And do you really [think] McCarthy was the mastermind behind Rodgers "development" 

This question has been covered many times by journalists over the years. The work McCarthy did with Rodgers starting in 2006 was intensive and Rodgers is on record himself saying how valuable it was to his career. Many links have been posted on these boards that cover that history, so it's up to you if you want to check them out.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

There is an entire thread proving that he had a very hands on approach to his development, yes, he was the mastermind behind it.

No, it really isn’t. Are one of our DB’s a top 3 pick, who’s development hinges on the success of our entire organization? Is DB the most important position in the sport? Does DB have one of the hardest learning curves in the sports world?

It’s simply a very beneficial part of signing McCarthy. It’s not the end all, be all — even though you can make a case that it’s the #2 most important thing. He does win games. 125 of them.

I’m not buying it. Rodgers won those games. I’ve owned that prick in my dynasty league for 10 years. Watched most of GB’s games as a result. I’ve seen the issues you can continue to dance around as jump back to the “develop the Qb” canoe. 

Link me the supporting material suggesting he’s mastermind. I’ll bite 

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

interesting. 2 good to very, very good WRs Evans/Jackson+   Fitz opened it up? doesnt't sound right. though Fitz had a quite nice 2015 with 2 good to very good Wrs in Marshall and Decker.  TB's WR are more xplosive. 

Evans and Jackson were both there in 2017 and 2016.  Everything just seemed to click better this season for both Fitz and Winston.  

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t buy the whole “mastermind behind Rodgers” stuff.  Did he aid in his development?  Sure.  But to act like Rodgers was some reclamation project is distorting the facts.  

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m not buying it. Rodgers won those games. I’ve owned that prick in my dynasty league for 10 years. Watched most of GB’s games as a result. I’ve seen the issues you can continue to dance around as jump back to the “develop the Qb” canoe. 

Link me the supporting material suggesting he’s mastermind. I’ll bite 

Rodgers is 0-32 trailing in the 4th Q by 1 point. I’ll tag you in the thread I’m talking about too. One second.

Just now, sec101row23 said:

I don’t buy the whole “mastermind behind Rodgers” stuff.  Did he aid in his development?  Sure.  But to act like Rodgers was some reclamation project is distorting the facts.  

I’ve never meant to come off like Rodgers isn’t responsible for his own development but damn, it’s like people don’t want to acknowledge the inbetween of the situation either.

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Hiring someone like say Kingsbury could put this franchise on rocket ship to stardom.  He could also crash and burn in glorious fashion.

Although my pick is KK, I realize also that the above crashnburn is a possibility.

Which is why I dont get all arguey about who prefers who when it comes to this decision...

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. 

The love affair for McCarthy is based mostly on a SB he won almost a decade ago. The game has changed since then and McCarthy has a bad record the last 4 years which lead to his firing MID-SEASON. It's not often that a great coach with a SB on his resume is fired mid-season. 

The team/Rodgers/Fans had enough of McCarthy's bad in game decisions. He was costing them games. But some here are blinded by the name/Ring. 

You honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Your above statement may be one of the most ignorant posts to ever be written. In 2014 the Packers were 12-4, 2015 10-6, 2016 10-6, 2017 7-9 (4-3 with Rodgers as QB and 3-6 with Bret Hundley and they probably would've won at least 10 games if Rodgers didn't get hurt).  So I have no idea where you got that he had a bad record the last 4 years. In fact prior to 2017 he went to 8 straight playoffs.

He got fired this year bc it's easier to fire the HC then get rid of the HOF QB. Rodgers is an a$$hole of the highest order. Just ask his family.

35 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

That may be so but going to Cleveland he will have similar issues he had in GB.  He will have a diva for a QB.  What's worse is Mayfield is a young diva which is far worse.  He will also have to deal with Dorsey who will have final say over who is signed and who is drafted.  And he'd be in Cleveland.  Come to the Jets and mentor Darnold who is coachable and will be better than Mayfield.  And he will have A LOT of input into free agent signings and the draft.  Money will simply not be a factor.  Does anyone seriously think the Johnsons are going to skimp on a few million dollars to not improve their billion dollar investment?  Nonsense.

To me it's a no brainer.

Right. Rodgers actually entered the league very humble after watching everyone pass on him through most of the first rd.  Watching Alex Smith get taken before him etc. Then he sat behind Favre who wasn't exactly talking the Josh Mccown route to raising a young gunslinger. 

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Rodgers dropped in the draft bc he was seen as a "project" with a sh*t attitude. He was not close to being seen as a franchise QB and he was awful in the preseason his first 2 years. You're distorting the facts.

To Browns:

1. You are idiots for not hiring your interim coaches full time

2. Please, please hire McCarthy to save the Jets from making the mistake of hiring the guy. Save us from ourselves, like Cousins' did last year allowing us to have Darnold.

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Although my pick is KK, I realize also that the above crashnburn is a possibility.

Which is why I dont get all arguey about who prefers who when it comes to this decision...

I'd love to see him as the OC under McCarthy if that were possible.  I saw a show yesterday where it was mentioned that if Kingsbury got a HC he would essentially be failing upward. It was a really good point. That would be a pretty questionable and risky move to hire him even with his talent for offense. 

I'd rather get someone with NFL coaching experience if at all possible some don't have to experience someone going through their growing pains of learning the job in the NY market. 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

To Browns:

1. You are idiots for not hiring your interim coaches full time

2. Please, please hire McCarthy to save the Jets from making the mistake of hiring the guy. Save us from ourselves, like Cousins' did last year allowing us to have Darnold.

Who would you hire?

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Your above statement may be one of the most ignorant posts to ever be written. In 2014 the Packers were 12-4, 2015 10-6, 2016 10-6, 2017 7-9 (4-3 with Rodgers as QB and 3-6 with Bret Hundley and they probably would've won at least 10 games if Rodgers didn't get hurt).  So I have no idea where you got that he had a bad record the last 4 years. In fact prior to 2017 he went to 8 straight playoffs.

He got fired this year bc it's easier to fire the HC then get rid of the HOF QB. Rodgers is an a$$hole of the highest order. Just ask his family.

He was 4-1 last year before Rodgers got injured TBF. The other two defeats were the game he went down, and the game returned, clearly unfit, to try and get them over the hump to playoffs. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. 

13 seasons; 9 playoff appearances; 6 Division Championships;  1 Superbowl win. Only 3 losing seasons in 13 seasons.  

And it's not ALL because of Rodgers since they lost this season with Rodgers, and over the years plenty of excellent QBs could not win a Superbowl because of the HC's they've had. Just look at Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, and Matthew Stafford. Heck, even Peyton Manning needed Tony Dungy to succeed. How do you think Goff would be without McVay, or Wentz without Pederson?  What if Rodgers first coach was Todd Bowles? 

The stuff you are saying about McCarthy is the same stuff people were saying about Andy Reid after he was fired in Philly, and Reid never won a Superbowl.  Turns out they were wrong. And they're wrong about McCarthy too.

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. 

Disagree with the bolded. There are several reasons to like McCarthy:

1) He's been a consistent winner. He's won 6 division titles. He's had 8 seasons with double digit wins. He's taken his team to 4 conference championship games. People always obsess over the Superbowl, but the reality is that actually winning the Superbowl is extremely f*cking hard and usually involves some luck. What I am interested in is building a perennial contender that gives us a chance to win the Superbowl every year. McCarthy has experience in doing just that. 

2) He was instrumental in helping Rodgers become the player he ultimately became. With respect to Darnold's development, McCarthy has the ideal experience that one would want a HC to have. 

3) He has a fair amount of cachet around the league. He's a guy who folks respect. I think it's always a good idea to get a guy like that into this organization. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

it's actually 5-15... It's a very Jetsy record. 

I'd love the see the pro-McCarthy crowd address his shortcomings; Clock Managment, lopsided offenses that peter out in playoffs against good D, dysfunctional running game... play calling that Rodgers was essentially fed up. 

Why is that not a concern. 

I have never noticed bad clock management by him, they have won a lot of last minute games.  Andy read on the other hand is atrocious.

the lopsided offense is legit as is the petering out in the playoffs.  (Nice to make the playoffs though no?)

Rogers has turned into a premadonna that has read his own press clippings and thinks he is lebron.

Some legit concerns but it is easier to pick wholes in a coat of a known commodity rather than an unknown one.

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You don't watch much football outside of Jets games do you? 

18 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

This question has been covered many times by journalists over the years. The work McCarthy did with Rodgers starting in 2006 was intensive and Rodgers is on record himself saying how valuable it was to his career. Many links have been posted on these boards that cover that history, so it's up to you if you want to check them out.

Lets say this is accurate for argument sake...

What you're saying is -- "McCarthy is good a developing a QB.... and thus, a good QB is able to mask his HC deficiencies...."  

Do you see where I'm going with this? He essentially survived 5-6 years too long in GB because of Aaron's performance on sundays.. Do we want to handcuff this team to the same fate? Darnold will develop. He's going to be good - I have zero doubt about that. But is he going to be good enough to compensate for McCarthy's history of inadequencies?

I'm not prepared to blindly sign up for that. 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have never noticed bad clock management by him, they have won a lot of last minute games.  Andy read on the other hand is atrocious.

the lopsided offense is legit as is the petering out in the playoffs.  (Nice to make the playoffs though no?)

Rogers has turned into a premadonna that has read his own press clippings and thinks he is lebron.

Some legit concerns but it is easier to pick wholes in a coat of a known commodity rather than an unknown one.

If McCarthy comes in and owns up to the problems he had in GB, and is willing to let an OC get involved, and call plays -- I'm much more OK with this whole thing... But, i always had the impression that Mike was a control-guy, needs to be the one pulling the strings. 

I would need that assurance, to be able to get on board. If he's essentially just reopening shop here, then forget it. If he's willing to approach his job in a different way?... OK, i'm listening. 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You don't watch much football outside of Jets games do you? 

I watch plenty of football but even if i didn't it wouldn't change the fact that what you said was not accurate or smart. It's ok to not want the guy but don't lie to try to make your point.

8 minutes ago, Ohhthepain said:

I just saw a tweet that they pushed his interview back to next week because they're interviewing someone else? Can anyone confirm? Hope this is true so the Jets can capitalize

Other way around. They're interviewing someone else because they rescheduled the interview. No one knows why the interview was rescheduled.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:40 AM, The Troll said:

The 2014 NFC Championship? Where they blew a 16 point lead? The 2016 NFC Championship? Where they were down 24-0 at halftime? Exemplary coaching performances, those were.

Aaron Jones, not Alex Collins. And, yes, I consider that a big knock on McCarthy and a big reason why I wouldn’t expect him to come here and suddenly be aggressive. Because he’s STUBBORN.

How many miracle plays have we seen Aaron Rodgers make over the years? Those are things that bailed out McCarthy’s mediocre coaching.

Look no matter what, I am obviously not going to convince you that McCarthy is anything less than what his record says he is. And you are not going to Men in Black brain wipe me from all the stupid sh*t I’ve seen McCarthy do over the years. Most of the fan base is pushing for a guy with HC experience because they don’t want someone to have to “learn on the job”, yet after 12 years, McCarthy is still making Bowles level game management mistakes on Sundays.

And, by the way, John Fox was 46-18 in Denver and went to a Super Bowl. Point being, your coaching record does not mean a guy is always what it says he is.

There is definitely some truth to this. Rodgers has definitely had a bunch of miracle wins and the Pack have had a fair amount of underwhelming performances in big spots. I'm personally not a huge fan of this move, but he will command respect. I can live with it.

34 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

1) He's been a consistent winner. He's won 6 division titles. He's had 8 seasons with double digit wins. He's taken his team to 4 conference championship games. People always obsess over the Superbowl, but the reality is that actually winning the Superbowl is extremely f*cking hard and usually involves some luck. What I am interested in is building a perennial contender that gives us a chance to win the Superbowl every year. McCarthy has experience in doing just that. 

2) He was instrumental in helping Rodgers become the player he ultimately became. With respect to Darnold's development, McCarthy has the ideal experience that one would want a HC to have. 

3) He has a fair amount of cachet around the league. He's a guy who folks respect. I think it's always a good idea to get a guy like that into this organization. 

Very good post. Completely agree with all three points.  Especially the bolded.

He might not be the flashiest of choices, but he's certainly a safe choice and clearly capable. 

The priority for the Jets right now are two fold....

1) Develop Darnold - we know he's capable of that.

2) Stop the organizational bleeding.  Create an environment that will allow the team to consistently succeed.  We know he has done that.

We could role the dice on some of these other choices - and if they hit, we would have an explosive team.  But there's a better chance whichever other one of these other guys we choose would be a disaster.

42 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Who would you hire?

Monken, Waldron or Kingsbury. All would need a strong DC hire (as does McCarthy BTW), but the teams would respond to them, we would run a modern offense that would maximize Sam's ability, and we would be an aggressive dynamic team suitable for the modern NFL.

The McCarthy QB school is great and all,, but Darnold doesnt need mechanics coaching, he needs a modern offensive system built around his strengths. He will not get that from McCarthy. He will get a stock WC offense which modern defenses are designed to stop. We need the dynamic forward thinking of the modern offensive minds. McCarthys time in the NFL is done. Just like the power sweep of Lombardi would not be successful in todays NFL. Elements like jet sweep motion,. RPO. spread concepts, all these things are needed in todays NFL. We get them with Monken Waldron or Kingsbury we do not with McCarthy unless he plans on hiring a guy like this and overhauling his offensive philosphy.

53 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Good points. I’ve always hated the logic that success can only be measured in Super Bowls. Sustainable success is consistently competing. Even when we’ve been successful in the years since Parcells  it’s usually winning  season followed by 4-12. I’m tired of that

At this stage i’d take a team that can legitimately take a run at a 2 game winning streak with ambitions of pushing that into maybe a 3 game winning streak and right now, that would be a success

Archived